Old 12-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
HammyMcSquirrel
Everlong
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Problem with new computer

I assembled a computer from mostly new parts about a month ago. Everything that's new is the motherboard, CPU, PSU, video card, HDD, SSD, and case. What I've moved over from my old computer is the optical drive and the RAM. Neither of the older components have given me an issue. They are both compatible with my new setup.

Here are the new components via my order summary:
ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX
AMD FX-8370 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) S
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition - High
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TL
Antec HCG M HCG-850M 850W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFi
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 64MB Cache SA - OEM

Older components are:
MEM 4Gx3|CORSAIR CMX12GX3M3A1333C9
DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM

I've installed Windows 7 64-bit Professional on it and after installing the drivers for the video card and rebooting, the computer freezes at the Windows login screen. More specifically, I can't move the mouse cursor or use my keyboard. Whatever was last on the screen stays on the screen. (No BSOD.) A hard reset is required. This happens every time unless I disable the video card. Additionally, the computer will randomly freeze as I work on it even when I'm in safe mode or have disabled the video card and am working in regular mode. I've left the computer running on the desktop with nothing going on and it doesn't freeze. (This was after ~3 hours.)

This is everything that I've done with the same problem resulting:
-Installing everything for the motherboard via the motherboard's CD.
-Installing everything for the video card via the video card's CD.
-Different driver versions for the video card.
-Having all of the Windows updates.
-Running a clean boot.
-Using the video card from my old computer that has never had an issue.
-Fresh install of the OS.
-Installing the OS on a different new HDD. (OS is currently installed on the SSD.)
-Updating BIOS.
-Different sticks of RAM.
-Using another new PSU.
-Replacing the motherboard.
-Reseating everything.

Voltage readings for different aspects of the motherboard are showing as being in the normal range. Temperature readings aren't showing as being abnormal. All of the hardware is being detected properly. The Windows 7 disc is legitimate and is the same disc I used to install the OS on my old computer with no problems. Event viewer shows errors but it's hard to research if said errors correlate directly with the problem I'm having.

Could it be something incredibly stupid like a single setting in the BIOS that isn't being detected properly even though it's supposed to? The only thing I haven't tried as far as hardware goes is a new CPU. I'm starting to fear that is the issue. Does anyone here know what could be happening?

Edit: I should also mention that I've tried running the computer with one stick of RAM and two sticks of RAM. (4GB per stick.) The computer detects both of these setups. Currently I only have one stick installed.

Last edited by HammyMcSquirrel; 12-27-2014 at 10:55 PM..
HammyMcSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Problem with new computer

is your cpu overheating? what kind of temperature readings do you get?
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

That's really awkward. Only things that I could think of because it's not listed is something along the lines of one component not being able to work with another, or a faulty component.

Then again, I've never taken apart a computer & put one back together...

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
HammyMcSquirrel
Everlong

CPU temp is showing 29C right now while on the desktop. Motherboard is at 26C.

I ran MemTest for a few hours (3 passes) and no errors popped up. Also ran Hot CPU Tester and that went for its full 6 hours with no interruptions. CPU fan was running hard the whole time; noticeably louder than it has been during the random freezes I've been getting. A .dmp file was created at the end but I don't think the Windows Debugging Tool is reading it properly. Doesn't seem to have the proper amount of contents compared to the file size when I open it. Going to mess around with that some more.

Can't say with confidence if the CPU is the issue at this point. I might RMA it anyways just to rule it out if nothing else. I have 30 days from the purchase date to do that so I have a few more days left. Unfortunately the CPU is currently out of stock on the site so I'll probably have to wait awhile before getting a replacement.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

it seems like the only thing you haven't tried is installing the CPU in a different, already functioning build. if that's not an available option then yea you should probably just RMA your CPU so you don't run out your return window.
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
HammyMcSquirrel
Everlong

Wish my old computer supported the newer CPU so I could figure out for sure. I installed Ubuntu on the other HDD in case the problem could have been a bad Windows disc and I get the same problem. Decided to RMA the CPU and I dropped it off today. I'll give an update when I get the replacement.