Old 07-9-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Just started on graphics...

I'm currently in one of the tech camps in a community college for 4 days (day 3 starts tomorrow) and I signed up for one of the camps being "Introduction to Graphics" I've had no experience with Photoshop at all (barely any experience with art in general), up until now, and I've done some pretty cool stuff. But, it's all pretty basic in the end.

I'm wanting some advice or some tutoring with this, because this is definitely something I may continue doing for a while.

A couple I've done in the camp:

This one isn't finished yet, need to have some light reflection off of her. The icon needs to also be curved into her forehead a bit as well.
http://i.imgur.com/YLRWsTa.jpg

Not sure what to say about this one, the bleeding effect of the letters will need work though.
http://i.imgur.com/4uWKktC.png
Old 07-9-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Just started on graphics...

those are pretty cool alex

hope you can find the help you are looking for. i'm sure you can here of all places.
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

I don't have a lot of time to comment at the moment but I'll say this for the first one: before adding ANY effect for glowing, you want at least two lines, one above the other: a darker one and a highlight line to define the lines into the skin of the person, and also they need to be colours which are cohesive with the skin, otherwise it will look too unnatural. Without first defining the lines underneath the glow, it will remain as it is, floating above it. So, integrating with the original image is what's most important before starting to add a glow, which also needs some attention paid to where it meets the shadows and whatnot.

Pretty steep learning curve to start with a tutorial like that, however. But nevertheless, I would start with playing with the pen tool and creating lines that define shapes in the skin, pay attention to the lighting of the scene, it's not as hard as you think. Where the top of the cheeks are highlighted, they will cast a shadow towards the bottoms. So, if a line is indented into the highlighted cheeks, the first line will be dark, second will be lighter. Two lines is ideal for just practicing/getting the hang of putting definition in there, but you definitely need more than that for a more realistic touch.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
I don't have a lot of time to comment at the moment but I'll say this for the first one: before adding ANY effect for glowing, you want at least two lines, one above the other: a darker one and a highlight line to define the lines into the skin of the person, and also they need to be colours which are cohesive with the skin, otherwise it will look too unnatural. Without first defining the lines underneath the glow, it will remain as it is, floating above it. So, integrating with the original image is what's most important before starting to add a glow, which also needs some attention paid to where it meets the shadows and whatnot.

Pretty steep learning curve to start with a tutorial like that, however. But nevertheless, I would start with playing with the pen tool and creating lines that define shapes in the skin, pay attention to the lighting of the scene, it's not as hard as you think. Where the top of the cheeks are highlighted, they will cast a shadow towards the bottoms. So, if a line is indented into the highlighted cheeks, the first line will be dark, second will be lighter. Two lines is ideal for just practicing/getting the hang of putting definition in there, but you definitely need more than that for a more realistic touch.
Thanks a bunch.

Will try and get to working on it more whenever I can.