Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-9-2011, 07:05 PM   #21
customstuff
♥C.S. + A.M.♥
FFR Veteran

Default Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
EDIT: Are you looking for ideas that fulfills two completely different tasks, preferably tasks that are of greater importance? Or not necessarily?
Basically it's something that would make tasks more convinient.

Yeah, I'm writing two (smallish though) essays atm xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
Placements are final, custom will not be moved to D6, just because he is good at jacks, and mediocre at just about every other FMO in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
welcome to D6

start playing
customstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2011, 07:22 PM   #22
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Good function + sexy = yes.

Look at how the world of technology has evolved today, everything is getting easier and faster. nVidia just purchased a company which specializes in mobile technology, it's a huge move for them and will effectively double the profits they receive from each new phone built, so in the next decade nVidia will pretty much own the mobile platform entirely.

Look into the latest trends in technology, the biggest one I see coming is flexible, transparent OLED screens, you'll start seeing them everywhere in the next few years, and my designs (or at least some of them) will incorporate this technology. Since I see this competition as a way for nVidia to really open their eyes and profit from this new market, I think my designs will also be geared toward the military and medical fields, because they would make assloads of money from those areas and might find designs in those fields more favorable.

I'm putting a lot of thought behind this, I'd really like to win.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I have an idea! Will post soon.

Last edited by midnghtraver; 05-9-2011 at 08:48 PM..
midnghtraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2011, 08:34 PM   #24
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/01/21/portal-gun-4.jpg
Old 05-9-2011, 08:50 PM   #25
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/a...sic/Phones.jpg

You might not understand.

I'll explain:

Both sides of the flip phone are touch screen. When you turn it over, the touch screen buttons go where the screen used to be, and visa versa.

EDIT: sorry my photoshop skills suck

EDITEDIT: Its attractive, but not very useful i suppose. Just been thinking about it for a while. Whatcha' think DS?

Last edited by midnghtraver; 05-9-2011 at 08:56 PM..
Old 05-9-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

You're a little late (kinda) a dual screen phone already exists
Old 05-9-2011, 09:01 PM   #27
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
You're a little late (kinda) a dual screen phone already exists
link
Old 05-9-2011, 09:59 PM   #28
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Good function + sexy = yes.

Look at how the world of technology has evolved today, everything is getting easier and faster. nVidia just purchased a company which specializes in mobile technology, it's a huge move for them and will effectively double the profits they receive from each new phone built, so in the next decade nVidia will pretty much own the mobile platform entirely.

Look into the latest trends in technology, the biggest one I see coming is flexible, transparent OLED screens, you'll start seeing them everywhere in the next few years, and my designs (or at least some of them) will incorporate this technology. Since I see this competition as a way for nVidia to really open their eyes and profit from this new market, I think my designs will also be geared toward the military and medical fields, because they would make assloads of money from those areas and might find designs in those fields more favorable.

I'm putting a lot of thought behind this, I'd really like to win.
Yeah, I just came back from a Michio Kaku lecture where he talked a bit about OLEDs (such as having a phone with a roll-out OLED keyboard). Pretty sweet stuff.

Quote:
lol. Well good first try, and perfect mspaint picture too, that's pretty much all I would need to go off of.

The only idea I'm throwing around in my head right now is a wallet that has a digital photo frame on the front, and when you open it, there's a screen inside that tells you your remaining bank account/credit card balances in each card slot.

Now that you opened up that can of worms, customstuff, what would you guys think about noise canceling headphones with built in phone?
This was also discussed. The general idea here behind ordinary items becoming "intelligent" as you continue to wire them into the Internet in creative ways.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 05-9-2011 at 10:03 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2011, 10:12 PM   #29
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

There is going to be some BIG TIME competition, CG society is a beast. I might give it a good thinking and whip out my ol' Cinema 4D again.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2011, 10:52 PM   #30
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
Cinema 4D
Want
Old 05-9-2011, 11:21 PM   #31
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

I'm going to assume that not a ton of new groundbreaking technology is going to be invented in the next 10 years for computing markets, things are just being refined at this point.

Things to absolutely consider:

glassless 3D screen technology
transparent OLEDs
augmented reality
interconnectivity between devices
brainwave recognition

Also, on Spenner's remark, I know there's a ton of amazing artists on cgsociety, probably the best on the planet, but I can certainly hold my own against them in this particular region of 3d artistry.

@Rubix, you fkking lucky bastard, huge fan of Michio Kaku.

Last edited by darkshark; 05-9-2011 at 11:58 PM..
Old 05-9-2011, 11:39 PM   #32
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Concept:

Old 05-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #33
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

transparent glass rubiks cube which can digitally import customizable skins off a computer via usb. projects images onto each face/cell of the cube to represent stickers on a normal rubiks cube. projected image is tracked and moves and rotates in realtime as you solve/scramble the puzzle.

here's a pic I found on google images, because I don't have the artistic talent to draw it myself:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...04-d32kwr2.jpg

doesn't have to stay strictly with 6-sided cubes, can go with funky 13-sided polygons, or more, to give it a more futuristic feel..

i've put zero mother design aspects thought into this (like folding down into something that can fit into a pocket), 'cause i dunno' if this is anywhere close to what your looking for. :\

Last edited by PrawnSkunk; 05-10-2011 at 12:58 AM..
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #34
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Mythix

But will it ****ing run Crysis?

About that, my idea will be a cheap graphic card that can run Crysis. They should be able to invent that within a decade.

kthx tell them to send the 10k to me in Norway

Last edited by Mythix; 05-10-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Mythix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #35
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

@Prawn: Seems like you could ditch the glass and turn to OLED's instead of projection. This is certainly not the right type of toy to be using projectors in. Your idea is plausible though.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #36
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnghtraver View Post
link
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/kyocera-echo-review/

aside from the crappy battery and screens its a pretty dope phone according to the review

also hatin on rubix for attending a michio kaku lecture
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #37
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:

glassless 3D screen technology
transparent OLEDs
augmented reality
interconnectivity between devices
brainwave recognition
Yep, all of these were mentioned too and the technology for all of this already exists -- it's just a matter of integrating/refining them at this point. IMO worth banking on these things for the upcoming decade.

There is even the possibility of integrating the internet into your contact lenses -- where you could surf the net right there on your retinas, lol. The idea is that as chips and transistors become even smaller and smaller, you can pretty much computerize damn-near anything: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_2008.svg.png

http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/...contact-lens/0

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/05/...azines_fortune

So when I look at the future, I see a lot of potential for integration between contacts/glasses and being able to surf the net through thought alone (we used to argue that touch-screens were not able to be precise enough to handle human input and yet here we are. Same goes for thought-control. There are error rates now that are becoming squeezed out). This also lets you employ augmented reality applications.

The lecture I attended last night was fueled by the collective interviews of over 300 top scientists in their respective fields, and so I think Kaku's lecture provides a ton of insight as to what we can currently accomplish (including invisibility, BTW) and how it'll become more mainstream in the future.

So if I were to focus on this nVidia competition as to how the future will let us creatively change the way we carry out our everyday lives, I'd move along these sorts of trends (which is why I think the wallet is a cool idea). However, I think to win the grand prize you may need something with a bit more wow-factor. Glasses/contact lenses are obvious examples but I think it'd be cool to try to think of other ways to employ the technology.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 05-10-2011 at 08:34 AM..
Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #38
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

One basic idea building from the easy lenses/glasses idea (let me know if you need pics for any of these and I'll MS-Paint something):

GPS in your lenses/glasses w/augmented reality overlays. No need to walk around while looking at a phone when you can see subway lines and arrows and directions telling you where to go as you walk. This would be really useful for me here in NYC, especially -- I could just look around and physically see huge red/green/blue line overlays that let me know where to go. I might also be able to see virtual train markers moving in real time so I can not only see where to go, but whether or not I need to get my ass in gear to make the next train even if I am above ground.

What would also make this GPS nice is that if it's able to recognize your surroundings (such as identifying street-lines and corners), it can better help the GPS+compass determine your location.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #39
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
transparent glass rubiks cube which can digitally import customizable skins off a computer via usb. projects images onto each face/cell of the cube to represent stickers on a normal rubiks cube. projected image is tracked and moves and rotates in realtime as you solve/scramble the puzzle.

here's a pic I found on google images, because I don't have the artistic talent to draw it myself:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...04-d32kwr2.jpg

doesn't have to stay strictly with 6-sided cubes, can go with funky 13-sided polygons, or more, to give it a more futuristic feel..

i've put zero mother design aspects thought into this (like folding down into something that can fit into a pocket), 'cause i dunno' if this is anywhere close to what your looking for. :\
I actually tried a six-sided Rubik's Cube with pictures on the side, and attempted to solve it. The result: the center isn't positioned correctly. How will you go about that in your model if that's the case? Unless there is an algorithm to rotate the center piece...
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #40
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
I actually tried a six-sided Rubik's Cube with pictures on the side, and attempted to solve it. The result: the center isn't positioned right. How will you go about that in your model if that's the case? Unless there is an algorithm to rotate the center piece...
There is -- consider a supercube: http://cubesmith.com/Supercube.jpg

There are easy ways to take care of stuff like this -- not a huge deal.