Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Events > Tournaments

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #121
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: New Tournament Format - Blitz Tourney

Yeah generally we don't decide on the prizing until we get a total of what the prizes are, donations have been *ahem* pretty thin on the ground, so I'll probably up the 2M to 2.5M and it'll be weighted to the winners of each division, but everybody will get -something-
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #122
Elmerz
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I really can't help but laugh when people say "lol but hes d6." I'm level 83. I was level 82 for a year and a fucking half. THAT WAS D5. I went up 1 LEVEL in a YEAR AND A HALF. I went up that ONE level because I got a fluke score on an 87 file. I have not gotten a single good score on anything since then. The way ranking works is stupid and broken, I've been saying this for years and it has fallen on deaf ears the entire time.

Just wanna sandbag d00d cm0n plz

Last edited by Elmerz; 01-29-2019 at 11:56 PM..
Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 AM   #123
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

You have 12 of your 15 best scores above 82.00
Of them your best 5 are over 83.00, and two more are 82.91

I don't think it's a fluke that you're level 83, give yourself more credit!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:45 AM   #124
Elmerz
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

It's hard to give yourself credit when you've never been a top 8 competitor in any division because I'm always bottom of my division, and when I get good enough to actually start to enjoy a healthy competition I get thrown back into the bottom of a different barrel. Idk I just think the ranking system is flawed in a sense that it assumes people don't have limitations. I know I won't get better. The ranking system doesn't and neither do you. I do appreciate the swift replies though and I apologize if people see this as a toxic post. Just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:13 AM   #125
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

How can you say you know you won't get better, when the crux of your complaint appears to be "I keep getting better, just at inopportune times with regards to tournaments"

If the tournament had been when you were at the top of D5 you could have won.
If the tournament had been when you were at the top of D4 you could have won.

If anything, it seems like your issue should be that "major" tournaments happen so rarely that you can't guarantee you won't be near the top of a division at the time one happens.

There -have been times- you've been at the top of a division, just by definition. You just don't recall having access to a big tourney any time during those periods, and I get why that's extremely frustrating. but the alternative is to let people play in lower divisions for full prizes, and why wouldn't a D4 or 5 or 6 player just say "I think I should be in D 3 or 4 or 5" and be completely unbeatable?

Divisions are a way to sort players without having to do a deep analysis of their entire score history every time you want to do a tournament. Because each division is a range, people will be at the top and bottom of that range.

I would LOVE for you to be able to do a tournament against only other level 83 players, but we have too few players for that level of granularity, and I get the impression that if at the start of the tournament you were 83 and your opponent was also 83, but by the end you were still 83 and they were 86, we'd probably have this same conversation again.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:24 AM   #126
Andrew WCY
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Everyone wants to win, including me and you. I know I won't win in this tourney or get anywhere close to the top 3 in D6, but I still participate because I want to know how well I do compared with other players in a competitive environment and I want to improve. It feels good when you see your scores improve even by just a bit, no?

Don't feel so negative about this. After all, you got into one of the top divisions! Give yourself a pat on the back! The ranking system has its own flaws, but given the tradition for players to be separated into 7 divisions based on skill ratings, everyone participating would have a chance to start at any position in the competition leaderboard. Instead of viewing the tourney as a chance to win, see the tourney as an opportunity for improving your skills! No one really knows for sure that they couldn't improve: It might take a lot of playing to get a skill boost. The fun and excitement comes from improvements!

Last edited by Andrew WCY; 01-30-2019 at 01:31 AM..
Old 01-30-2019, 04:44 AM   #127
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

I know exactly where elmerz is coming from. Ive never even top 15d a tourny. Ive been level 87 for years and only halfway to 88 lol. I was at the middle of d5, then got bumped to bottom of d6. Im low d6 right now but ill never be top d6 like gold stinger, suicidaln00b, haku etc. One day ill just be bumped to d7 randomly, or ill stay low d6 forever. Its pretty frustrating the way the rankings are tbh. I know they cant be perfect, but come on. Once you win a tourn in a specific division you should be insta bumped. Mainly because in order to win you need to be playing levels wayyyy above your comfort zone and clearly you can if you win.
#2centsthatdoesntmeanshit

Edit: im not the only one who believs an insta bump should happen either. Ive heard it from others when asking or just talking about fiffer.

Last edited by SK8R43; 01-30-2019 at 05:02 AM..
Old 01-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #128
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Some of you guys just don't get it...

Has someone reached the level for the division above them ?

YES: Bump to that division
NO: Stay in current division

Are the ratings of files that person scored on too high/low ?

YES: Suggest a rating fix in the appropriate subforum and revise the answer to the first question
NO: Do nothing

Did the person change division early in the tournament ?

YES: Check scores progression and take a decision based on that and the tournament's format
NO: Bump for next tourney
Old 01-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #129
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
I know exactly where elmerz is coming from. Ive never even top 15d a tourny. Ive been level 87 for years and only halfway to 88 lol. I was at the middle of d5, then got bumped to bottom of d6. Im low d6 right now but ill never be top d6 like gold stinger, suicidaln00b, haku etc. One day ill just be bumped to d7 randomly, or ill stay low d6 forever. Its pretty frustrating the way the rankings are tbh. I know they cant be perfect, but come on. Once you win a tourn in a specific division you should be insta bumped. Mainly because in order to win you need to be playing levels wayyyy above your comfort zone and clearly you can if you win.
#2centsthatdoesntmeanshit

Edit: im not the only one who believs an insta bump should happen either. Ive heard it from others when asking or just talking about fiffer.
It is, by definition impossible for you to get bumped to the bottom of D7 without you first spending some time at the top of D6, the only issue is whether you happen to be at the top of D6 when a tournament hits or not.

Last edited by devonin; 01-30-2019 at 08:15 AM..
Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #130
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
It is, by definition impossible for you to get bumped to the bottom of D7 without you first spending some time at the top of D6, the only issue is whether you happen to be at the top of D6 when a tournament hits or not.
It definitely isnt. I was never top of d5. I could aaa a 95 like punkture and probably be bumped up to d7 and i would have never seen top of d6. I mean im close on a few, but not really because they all have solid PA, but a ton of misses.

I know there is no fix to the system, which is why i usually dont do tournys since theres no points besides just having fun. Ive been level 87 for so long, i dont even know if its possible to go up levels anymore lmao. And i improve every session.

Last edited by SK8R43; 01-30-2019 at 08:33 AM..
Old 01-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #131
Elmerz
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

The fact that I can't read files at my skill level upsets me greatly. But I'm expected to play well on files above my skill level as well.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #132
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmerz View Post
The fact that I can't read files at my skill level upsets me greatly. But I'm expected to play well on files above my skill level as well.
Looking at your top 15, you can technically read files above 83...you just cant really aaa them which is a totally different story. Im in the same boat with my best aaa being an 83 and anything above my skill level im pretty shit at minus a few that are jacky and what not. So i know the feel. haha
Old 01-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #133
Elmerz
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

My best aaa is a 77.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #134
Deidara837
For a New Beginning
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

So much FFRama

I remember the last OT I had barely reached D6 and thought I was gonna get clobbered by the perennially stacked division, was a fact I was one of the lowest ranked players in D6. Did the hard grind to claw my way to 12th place, and I never got AAA/BF etc. on any of those files. Even now my I'm still 3-4 levels below the people around me but I stay competitive because I keep the rust off with Etterna and don't play any worse in tourney scenarios.

Division "boundaries" are a huge part of the problem, but having a lower skill rating doesn't mean you automatically can't score well on individual files. I've been in the high 80s for a long time but I've never felt that my skill level has been plateauing. Since I'm not an acc player it doesn't show up as well on the skill rating boards, but trimming down PBs on harder files is my sign of progress. If I use AAAs, my best ones are Shatterscape and Clocked, a pair of 78s.

Then again, a tourney doesn't mandate playing at your skill rating's level, my best scores for this tourney specifically are still 4-5 levels below my current 89. You don't have to be at your absolute peak, you just have to be playing consistently well enough to not drop the ball on a particular song. If stagnation is a big issue I would recommend playing more regularly - I can't say that it will guarantee improvement but doing the opposite is definitely gonna prevent that.

Can't just show up to a tourney and say "oh man I can't play things at my level, I'm really bad everyone else is so much better than me". The way this works is you should be comfortable playing files with a difficulty quite a bit higher than your actual skill rating, since your skill rating is AAA equivalency, which is below the song's difficulty if you aren't AAAing them. The same equivalency is granted by SDGing or even getting teens or 20s on harder songs. I don't aim for playing level 89 songs because they "match my skill level", due to my rating it would be assumed I could be AAAing them, which means they should be easy enough for me to do so at that point. I'm not an acc player, I wanna play harder things that I get in the 20s-30s range on since that's where I can best see improvements instead of crapshooting for the AAA.

If you can't normally play songs of the same difficulty as your skill rating, meaning like at least SDG range, you're playing at a lower level than it says you are, and you need to get your butt in gear and not just shake off the rust but get yourself playing well again. If you've hit that level before, you can do it again. Just takes consistent effort. Before that happens, most comparisons to other people who are playing at their level and complaints about skill levels lack a foundation.

_9th OT: D2 - 13th Place
10th OT: D5 - 45th Place
11th OT: D6 - 12th Place

EMG Rivalry | EMG Spreadsheet

Last edited by Deidara837; 01-30-2019 at 04:48 PM..
Old 01-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #135
Elmerz
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Lol rust. I play everyday.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #136
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm glad I was able to get a couple of scores into my top 15 plays from this tournament!
Old 01-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #137
Antori
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

people who dont enjoy the current state of the ranking system should make a new thread discussing that in it.

i personally dont mind being low in my division.

i love the tournaments and i want them to continue

Old 01-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #138
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
It definitely isnt. I was never top of d5. I could aaa a 95 like punkture and probably be bumped up to d7 and i would have never seen top of d6. I mean im close on a few, but not really because they all have solid PA, but a ton of misses.

I know there is no fix to the system, which is why i usually dont do tournys since theres no points besides just having fun. Ive been level 87 for so long, i dont even know if its possible to go up levels anymore lmao. And i improve every session.
If you just boosted directly past a whole division in like, one single play session of extremely good scores on dramatically above-your-current-level songs, okay sure you've found an edge case.

But if you were actually a D5 player and now are a D6 player, there is a time where your -skill- was at the top of D5: Right before your skill was at the bottom of D6.

But yes, technically if you were D5, and then without getting -any- good scores on D6 songs suddenly logged a bunch of top scores on D7 songs, you could in fact bypass being at the top of D6.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #139
mrpreggers
D7 Elite Keymasher

Don't worry guys I did enough winning for all of us years ago
Old 01-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #140
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

Quote: