Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #61
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Song Corrections Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
I don't plan contacting any musician outside the website because it's very risky :
Although I understand what bmah's trying to say, I don't think a question like "I'm wondering, what's the real official name for this song? it isn't clear" could possibly be an issue.

Quote:
Why ?
Because all that "Suite No. 2 in B minor, BWV 1067" is just lookup data that identifies the piece. Nobody outside of the classical music community is going to remember a song by that number. Having many songs with similar notation will only make things harder to find. It may be useful to have that information listed somewhere, but the name of the song is not the place - and if you absolutely need to put it there, it should be after the common name of the song, so people can actually find the thing in the song list.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #62
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref
It may be useful to have that information listed somewhere, but the name of the song is not the place - and if you absolutely need to put it there, it should be after the common name of the song, so people can actually find the thing in the song list.
Thank qqwref for mentioning this. This is basically what we talked through chat tonight, and we settled that the standard for classical nomenclature could be the common name followed by the reference, like you are proposing. As an example: Humoresque Op.101, No.7 or "Black Key" Etude Op.10, No.5.
That way, it's a good compromise between accurate information and recognizable song names. It's also a nice idea to keep the common name at the beginning of the name since titles often do not appear completely.

I don't see why finding a song would be a problem though. Even if the name for the piece is two foot long, typing in the common name in the search query will isolate the corresponding value. But yeah, if you search songs according to genres, it could become a problem...

It's a shame there's no way of inputing a secondary title for a specified song like SM. It could have been of great use. :\
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #63
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
Although I understand what bmah's trying to say, I don't think a question like "I'm wondering, what's the real official name for this song? it isn't clear" could possibly be an issue.
Anything could happen. And it's probably going to be case per case. For Charlotte Summer, I think I can figure it out without having to contact anybody, but that needs more research.
There's some other cases I really can't find what's going on, and we would have to contact some people outside FFR to get more information. We just have to be prudent on how to approach the artist.

Quote:
Because all that "Suite No. 2 in B minor, BWV 1067" is just lookup data that identifies the piece. Nobody outside of the classical music community is going to remember a song by that number. Having many songs with similar notation will only make things harder to find. It may be useful to have that information listed somewhere, but the name of the song is not the place - and if you absolutely need to put it there, it should be after the common name of the song, so people can actually find the thing in the song list.
I had a conversation about this tonight with Crazyjayde and we were thinking on reworking on the classical music propositions... I think I've missed some few things in the process.
Anyway, as you said, it would be more convenient to have the common name first, then the "reference" name. Like this :
- "Moonlight Sonata" Piano Sonata no. 14, Op. 27, No. 2, Mov. 1
- "Badinerie" Suite No. 2 in B minor, BWV 1067
hi19hi19 did it this way on this thread, and we (Crazyjayde and me) thought it would be the best way to write them out (after a quite intense debate I should say ^^).

I would like to do the same thing with Japanese title, something like this for example :
- Border of Maximum (極限領域)
- Zephon (世音)
But, that would not be possible.

After we've gathered all the data and make the changes, I would like to set an extensive database (so we could have more information about everything concerning the songs and artists - something like the in-game song information thread). So far, I've set up this list, but the problem is that it's on another website. Probably like a wiki or something so people can add their own information. That would be cool.

edit : ninja'd

EDIT 2 : Thinking about : how are we going to write One Minute Waltz v2 ? Full name is Waltz in D flat major, Op. 64, No. 1. How are we going to tell the difference between the first version from the second if the search will cut out the last few characters ?
"Minute" Waltz, Op. 64, No. 1 v2 would be the correct way... What about "Minute Waltz v2", Waltz, Op. 64, No. 1 ?

Last edited by noname219; 03-30-2013 at 12:53 AM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #64
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219
"Minute" Waltz, Op. 64, No. 1 v2 would be the correct way... What about "Minute Waltz v2", Waltz, Op. 64, No. 1 ?
Don't strain yourself with over-thinking. The latter is completely fine.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #65
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayde View Post
As an example: Humoresque Op.101, No.7 or "Black Key" Etude Op.10, No.5.
That way, it's a good compromise between accurate information and recognizable song names. It's also a nice idea to keep the common name at the beginning of the name since titles often do not appear completely.
Indeed. Also I would suggest not using quotation marks (ESPECIALLY when they are around the entire common name) because then the song will just appear at the bottom of the list, which negates the whole point of putting it where people would expect it to be in the song list.

Actually, idea: put the classical info in parentheses. Your second example would be Black Key Etude (Op.10, No.5). Then if we have a v2 we can just put it before the parentheses and it wont look weird at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayde View Post
I don't see why finding a song would be a problem though. Even if the name for the piece is two foot long, typing in the common name in the search query will isolate the corresponding value.
Personally, I only use the search bar when I'm looking for a specific file. Otherwise I turn off my AAAs and then just sort it by name. So in that case it would be a problem to have like twenty Op. <number> things, because I'd have no idea which is which.

Quote:
I would like to do the same thing with Japanese title, something like this for example :
- Border of Maximum (極限領域)
- Zephon (世音)
Why? If you can't read the language it's unreadable clutter, and if you can it's the same thing written twice. I don't see any benefit.

It's a good argument to add a "secondary title" or something... we could put classical info, original language titles, and even album data there. Less clutter for people looking for songs to play, but anyone who wants to can look it up.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #66
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Actually, idea: put the classical info in parentheses. Your second example would be Black Key Etude (Op.10, No.5). Then if we have a v2 we can just put it before the parentheses and it wont look weird at all.
I like that idea. +1

Quote:
Why? If you can't read the language it's unreadable clutter, and if you can it's the same thing written twice. I don't see any benefit.
If it was only me, I would go further and only use the Japanese title, only because it's the correct title. But frankly, it's not something we should plan in the realm of possibilities : too much confusion and the game would suffer. Hence the reason why a romanized title, or at least a translated one must stay.
Having the real title in parenthesis after the common known title (similar to the classical proposition) is something that, imo, could work. We wouldn't have to rely on a separate database see the real name.
Of course, a better solution is a secondary title.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #67
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Of course, a better solution is a secondary title.
That idea sounds great haha.
On another note, Arrogant Cobbler is mislabeled I think. It's supposed to be Arrogant Cobbler (Nero's Day At Disneyland - Rock Rock Rock Remix), basically it's a remix of Rock Rock Rock by DJ Donna Summer but it's named as Arrogant Cobbler. The title is too long though, a secondary title would definitely suffice.

http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Donna-Summ...elease/1486707
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #68
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
That idea sounds great haha.
On another note, Arrogant Cobbler is mislabeled I think. It's supposed to be Arrogant Cobbler (Nero's Day At Disneyland - Rock Rock Rock Remix), basically it's a remix of Rock Rock Rock by DJ Donna Summer but it's named as Arrogant Cobbler. The title is too long though, a secondary title would definitely suffice.

http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Donna-Summ...elease/1486707
Hard to tell for this one.
I know I've proposed the artist name "DJ Donna Summer remixed by Nero's Day At Disneyland", but I wasn't sure for the title track. Was it really intended to put the title like this, or it was to indicate who made the remix ?
It's a digital album, so it can be downloaded.

So, I think you're right. Looks like the name is really Arrogant Cobbler (Nero's Day At Disneyland - Rock Rock Rock Remix)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #69
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

The artist should be just DJ Donna Summer. Seeing that Nero's Day At Disneyland is already mentioned in the title, the "remixed by Nero's Day At Disneyland" part would be redundant.

Same goes for the other Rock Rock Rock remix on FFR, the artist should be just DJ Donna Summer, instead of "DJ Donna Summer feat. t+pazolite".
Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #70
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't know about the rules concerning this (or if there are any), but I don't think the song name should have an impact on the artist name. They're both different things. I see the remix as a work of both DJ Donna Summer and Nero's Day At Disneyland, I believe both should be listed. Even if it's redundant with the title, it's more homogenous with other remixes (less exceptions)...

About t+pazolite, it should be "remixed by", not "feat." right?

Last edited by noname219; 03-31-2013 at 12:59 AM..
Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #71
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Yes, it would be DJ Donna Summer remixed by t+pazolite if that's the case.
Old 04-7-2013, 05:34 PM   #72
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

I dunno if anybody remembers the super old FF7 Battle that got disabled due to permission issues with The Black Mages.

Well, today I found out that the FFR version of the song was from the video game's OST, not from the Black Mages themselves.

By way of comparison, here's the original:

And here's the Black Mages' rendition:

This is assuming that SilentWeaponsIII has his sources correct, of course.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-7-2013, 05:46 PM   #73
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Correct we used OST version, same with Chrono Trigger.

Black Mages battle rendition was never stepped but should be given that we do have permission.
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #74
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

@noname, if you can compile and sort the list of songs in order of largest time difference (I'd rather get the big ones out of the way first as opposed to < 5 sec differences), I'll fix the entire list over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #75
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I think you're on the spreadsheet atm, I've changed the last column and the songs are ranked by their time difference.

(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...aTXlHNGc#gid=0)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #76
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Perfect, thanks. I'll post occasionally to let you know which song I'll have last stopped at.

edit: Everything up to and including Computer Dreams on the spreadsheet is fixed. Only less than 15 second differences should be present now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno

Last edited by One Winged Angel; 04-18-2013 at 08:33 PM..
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #77
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Time to finally take a look at some of the proposed corrections. Last time I checked, I looked over the letter C. (note once again: anything I don't remark on assume that I agree; any questions I don't answer assume that I don't know either)
Moving on...

Holy crap, you found something on this artist! I couldn't find anything previously. So this is actually Dr. 1010? Good call.

Quote:
daniwell feat. Hatsune Miku
Should we really credit Hatsune Miku as an artist?
Yep.

Quote:
Daniel Strider
The Moment : Electropop -> Pop/Rock
Your Grace : Electronic Acoustic -> Pop/Rock
I agree.

Quote:
Daniwell-P -> daniwell
Though both may be correct, I don't really mind if one's daniwell and another is Daniwell-P. Here's proof for the latter: http://vocaloid.wikia.com/wiki/Daniwell-P

Quote:
Darkest Hour
Pathos : Acoustic Inst. -> Acoustic Rock
Don't want to call it Rock. Maybe at best Soft Rock, but Instrumental is ok to describe it.

Quote:
dBu
The Brain of the Moon : Progressive Rock/Tou -> Progressive Rock
the Dream of Scarlet : Rock/Touhou -> Epic Rock
The Lunatic Princess : Game Remix/Rock -> Game Remix
UNKnown Girl : Epic Rock/Touhou -> Epic Rock
Already addressed to you the thing about truncated genre names due to their length, but on another note, I agree that we should perhaps remove Touhou within those names.

Quote:
Detach M-STYLE
Wow, found nothing. I propose to remove the link on this one.
The current link is the best we can probably do to credit the artist. Can't find anything else either.

Quote:
DEV/NULL -> Dev/Null
Looks like that's the official name he uses for his releases.
According to CRD label, you'd be right:; http://www.cockrockdisco.com/CRD2/artists-devnull.html
But his Soundcloud now put his songs as "devnull". So what's the better case?

Quote:
Disturbed
Weird how they don't have any widget. Do we have limitations concerning this artist ?
Inside The Fire [FFR Chart] -> Inside the Fire
Why FFR Chart ?
I'm not sure, this might be an artist in which we were only allowed to use one song only. Check the permissions thread and see if you can find anything. Also, idk why it's labelled [FFR Chart]. That might just be some oversight that was added in by the stepper.

Quote:
DJ Acsent -> DJ Ascent
This really looks like a typo.
I don't know any more than you, but I wonder if "Acsent" is a play on word for "Accent".

Quote:
DJ Cristo -> djcristo
Are you sure this is correct, or are you just doing this to distinguish from the more popular artist? DJ Cristo used to be an FFR player years ago, I remember. Here's his profile: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...e/D.J.+Cristo/
So I'm not sure if he wants to be actually represented as "djcristo".

Quote:
DJ Kuhu
Website works but it can't display the characters for me.
His songs avalaible here : (http://a.kankitsu.net/)
The page currently linked on FFR is fine. The songs are on the page you linked but is irrelevant.

Quote:
Dj Meas -> DjMeas
Again, this lack of spacing...was this really the artist's intention, or just an artefact of mp3 tagging?

Quote:
DJ Plaeskool -> DJplaeskool
See above, except he might also be using this short-hand form for other forms of media like his blogs. But is that his actual artist title?

Quote:
DJ Sharpnel
Sources tend to differs on the capitalization of songs. I used VGMdb for the propositions since I think it is the most reliable source.
I think an even more reliable source would be someone who has a lot of his albums, such as Spitfire. There are a number of users here who would definitely know more about the nitty-gritty details.

Quote:
DJAirWave
Now known as DJ Earthlight, posted the song Pokemon GSC Elite Four on his Newgrounds account.
Ok, we'll keep DJAirWave for the current songs, and any further songs from him that get into the game will go under his new name.

Quote:
DM Ashura feat. DJ Amuro -> DM Ashura feat. D.J. Amuro
DM Ashura feat. Fixx
DM Ashura feat. Tiger Yamato -> DM Ashura feat. tiger YAMATO
Unless this is how these songs were originally listed, there's no point in listing the original Bemani artists such as D.J. Amuro. And if you wanted to add that, it'd be "Remixed by". Since these songs aren't an exact remix but more like a reference to other songs (but is ultimately an original), I'd go with just removing these Bemani artists.

Quote:
Dr1010
Basically, I think he changed his name to Foxen and remove all the aliases.
See above on what I said about DJAirWave.

Now I remember why I haven't responded to your updates in a while. This takes up a lot of time for sure! X.x

I'll continue more later.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #78
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Also, idk why it's labelled [FFR Chart]. That might just be some oversight that was added in by the stepper.
I believe this is because Inside The Fire was one of the FFRock charts. But yeah, that should be removed.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #79
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I believe this is because Inside The Fire was one of the FFRock charts. But yeah, that should be removed.
I was just about to post exactly this.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...disturbed-yes/
Basically, that's their widget : http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/Disturbed.php
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #80
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219
Detach M-STYLE
Wow, found nothing. I propose to remove the link on this one.
Did this quick research because I couldn't get my head around the fact that there isn't any info on Detach. Found that he's the co-author of a Fascination MAXX remix with BEN.SPEIRS, retraced the thread on SM.com and found this little gem: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Detach/index.php?
You actually have to register to peruse through it, I'm still looking though for any song listing or anything so I'll edit this post whenever I'm done looking.

Edit: Won't get too far into it, this thread refers to the 300 SM original simfile: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Detach/in...ic=93&st=0&hl= plus a nice small talk about FFR sim database back in the day. You can find the original 300 by Detach M-STYLE stepped by Hiryuu on BMS 7, but this is the only info I can find as far as song name. (source: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Detach/in...wtopic=209&hl=)

Last edited by Crazyjayde; 04-19-2013 at 01:09 AM..