Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: Bodyweight Exercise Challenges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM_4jZ5iTeM&t=13m

Easy.
Old 07-3-2014, 11:23 PM   #42
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Hannibal is insane
Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #43
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

are there are decent bodyweight-only routines floating around out there
I found this one, but I'm not sure how well it'd work

I hate myself and will never go to a gym again

Last edited by choof; 07-11-2014 at 12:07 AM..
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #44
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Here you go:

https://fitloop.co/
Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #45
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

sweet t.hanks
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #46
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

I don't really care for that other program.

I think the best way to do bodyweight routines are through progressions. I.e. you start with an exercise you're comfortable with and build repetitions, and then move to a harder exercise. Continuing to add repetitions doesn't do much beyond a point.

E.g. an L sit should always progress to higher and higher angled L sits. Simply holding an L sit longer is not productive.

Pullups should progress to muscle ups / weighted pullups.

Etc.

In terms of my progress, I'm able to steadily hold tight a 45 degree angle for my dips now. Slowly working to increase that angle @ low repetitions. A planche dip is coming, I swear it.

I can also muscle up pretty reliably now, though I can't really do much more than 1 without rest haha.

If I go to the gym tomorrow I'll record some dips to get a video up and some action started up in here.

Last edited by Reach; 07-11-2014 at 01:07 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #47
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Tomorrow is chest day for me as well so I might get in on something. Will post video if I can get one.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #48
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Chris you're the god damn champ of dips.

I'll concede, I'm pretty awful at these. Here's 37 dip fails: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...42098456171903

I'll start recording one of these exercises each session to get things rolling. I'll do pullups next I guess or an L-sit.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #49
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Still really good work and technically the record until I get around to uploading my video some time this week
Old 07-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #50
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Yeah, figured if anything we need some people to start posting videos.

Even if you're not very good, get in on the action. It's fun and challenging yourself builds strength :)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #51
Gun92
The Paragon of Perfection
FFR Veteran

Ill work on some of these on Thursday when I finally get some time off from watching my kid. Just have to find a nice place outside that I can do the pull ups things and see what else I can manage.
Gun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #52
Gun92
FFR Veteran

So, I could use some advice with a few things. I seem to be gaining weight (not sure how much is muscle and how much is fat) but I want to lose the fat which is primarily around my stomach area (not much fat elsewhere). I want to know what kind of foods I need to avoid, which are the best to add, a good replacement for soda (which I know is terrible) and done exercises that I can do to help burn the fat in that area and strengthen my core system. If it matters at all, I'm 6'1 and as of last night, I'm sitting at 194lbs. I'm not as active as I would like to be, but I do play about 10 hours of sand volleyball each week. Any and all help would be appreciated
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #53
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Gun92,

You can't spot reduce fat, so there is no way to specifically target stomach fat. The only way to lose stomach fat is to create a caloric deficit, causing weight loss, and wait patiently for your body to decide to burn stomach fat (it may not initially, it will very likely opt to burn fat elsewhere first).

Therefore, foods to avoid/add are pretty irrelevant. You just need to decrease total caloric intake. Though, I would recommend keeping protein high to preserve muscle mass (150 grams daily for someone your size if possible).

If you want to specifically target your core muscles, I recommend some exercises discussed here such as hanging leg raises, V-sits, planks and dragon flags. You'll probably need to do some research on some of the progressions for these lifts, as technique can make them range in difficulty from beginner to highly advanced.

Anyone currently working on any of these challenges?

I've been working on a planche dip for the past few weeks and have made a lot of progress. I am consistently able to hold my body stiff at about a ~50 degree angle for ~5 reps. Working on pushing that angle every week. :)

also been practising something called the russian dip in combination with a V sit at the bottom (russian dip: http://www.myweightlifting.com/wp-co...ssian-dips.jpg). Very tough, can do a couple reps with good holds at the bottom.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #54
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via MSN to Kraezymann

I am! I only decided yesterday to try a couple of these out so I'll post a video soon I hope. Nothing amazing since I'm still relatively new at this stuff but at least I can kick it off. Also if something looks wrong please let me know so I can fix it!

Submit to this -
Kraezymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #55
Gun92
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Gun92,

You can't spot reduce fat, so there is no way to specifically target stomach fat. The only way to lose stomach fat is to create a caloric deficit, causing weight loss, and wait patiently for your body to decide to burn stomach fat (it may not initially, it will very likely opt to burn fat elsewhere first).

Therefore, foods to avoid/add are pretty irrelevant. You just need to decrease total caloric intake. Though, I would recommend keeping protein high to preserve muscle mass (150 grams daily for someone your size if possible).

If you want to specifically target your core muscles, I recommend some exercises discussed here such as hanging leg raises, V-sits, planks and dragon flags. You'll probably need to do some research on some of the progressions for these lifts, as technique can make them range in difficulty from beginner to highly advanced.

Anyone currently working on any of these challenges?

I've been working on a planche dip for the past few weeks and have made a lot of progress. I am consistently able to hold my body stiff at about a ~50 degree angle for ~5 reps. Working on pushing that angle every week. :)

also been practising something called the russian dip in combination with a V sit at the bottom (russian dip: http://www.myweightlifting.com/wp-co...ssian-dips.jpg). Very tough, can do a couple reps with good holds at the bottom.
So in essence, eat less, but stay up on protein. What exactly do you recommend when hunger hits? I don't exactly eat at planned times throughout the day so I guess that makes things a bit harder. Is there a recommended number for caloric intake to be around to start burning fat?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #56
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

eat less calories than the minimum your body needs
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #57
Gun92
FFR Veteran

That explains so much.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #58
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun92 View Post
So in essence, eat less, but stay up on protein. What exactly do you recommend when hunger hits? I don't exactly eat at planned times throughout the day so I guess that makes things a bit harder. Is there a recommended number for caloric intake to be around to start burning fat?
At your height and weight, no more than 2000 calories and you should lose plenty of weight.

But yeah, basically less than whatever maintains your weight. Your body always maintains equilibrium. If you eat less than the amount of energy needed to maintain equilibrium, your body gets that energy from fat. Conversely if you eat more, your body turns that energy into fat (or muscle if you lift...!).

Yes, protein high because it will maintain more muscle mass, especially in conjunction with resistance training. If you cut protein too low you will lose muscle as you lose weight.

Dealing with hunger? There are no simple ways, you SHOULD and it is normal to feel hungry when you are dieting and at caloric deficit. If you're not hungry at all it means you've eaten too much, lol.

But key points are to eat foods with high satiety value. That is, foods that ...have a lot of mass or weight to them while being relatively low in total calories.

Excellent examples of high satiety foods are chicken breast, steak, vegetables, fruit...things like that. You want to get most of your calories from whole foods like that when dieting.

Avoid foods rich in sugar (without fiber, so fruit doesn't count here) as they will generally have too many calories for how full you will feel.

Last edited by Reach; 08-11-2014 at 11:24 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #59
Shouka
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Don't know if this counts. Didn't go quite as high on the last couple of reps.

http://youtu.be/VMTkmH9w7zw

Last edited by Shouka; 08-21-2014 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: previous link didn't work
Shouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #60
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Those count dude, good work!

I'll try to beat it tomorrow :P