Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere
Default Why Mainstream Sucks

I have come to the conclusion that mainstream sucks. Mainstream what? - you might ask. Mainstream anything. It doesn't matter what.

The problem with the mainstream is it tries to cater to everyone and in the process so caters to no one in particular -- at least no one interesting. So you're almost guaranteed mediocrity, with rare exceptions. Further, to find anything outside the mainstream wants/needs, you have to go out of your way - sometimes way out of your way.

So, I don't really have a problem with liking things which are mainstream or popular. Just don't like something because it is mainstream or popular. If you like something and that thing just so happens to be mainstream/popular, that's cool. If you like something because it is mainstream/popular, that's not. Make sense?

Also there tends to be the argument made that people who shun the mainstream are just trying to be "different" and thus all end up being "the same" as the others in their groups. For anyone who might make that argument, have you considered that their goal might not be to "be different" and that they may actually enjoy those things and enjoy being around other people who enjoy the same things they do?

I say enjoy/do what you like. If you like something and it happens to be mainstream -- cool. If you like something and it's not popular in the mainstream -- cool. But just like what you like. Don't let other people determine what you like and especially don't let corporate marketing drones determine it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
DarknessXoXLight
sonder
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DarknessXoXLight
Default Re: Why Mainstream Sucks

How did the hipster die?

It drowned in the mainstream.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

You make a good point that people shouldn't like something just because it's mainstream.

However, what also annoys me when people also dislike something just because it's mainstream without even giving it a chance or any other reason as to why they dislike it.

Also, just noticed this was posted in chit-chat. This might do well in the critical thinking forum perhaps.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

i like android and use android because its what is ok to like.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Mainstream is awesome because it allows you to be controlled. If you start picking and choosing what you want to listen to based off preference then you should be murdered no questions asked. BIG BROTHA FO LIFE!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
How did the hipster die?

It drowned in the mainstream.
I laughed pretty hard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

hey cool a brony telling us why mainstream sucks
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #8
mrpreggers
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

oh man ~bAzInGa~
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I just think that one's opinion on a song should be independent on it's popularity. I mean it wouldn't make sense to change your opinion on a song of yours if it wasn't popular but then it became popular. If you like a song and it also just so happens to be popular/mainstream, then great! If you don't like a song and it also just so happens to be popular/mainstream, then great! If you like a song and it also just so happens to not be mainstream, then great! If you don't like a song and it also just so happens to not be mainstream, then great! I don't care. Just don't make your opinion on it based solely on the popularity of the song.

I have a friend of mine and sometimes I'll be playing whatever music and occasionally I might have mainstream song come up. I see him bobbing is head, seeming to enjoy the music and all. And in a pleasant voice, he'd ask "who's the artist?" and then I'll tell him the mainstream artist's name and he'll be quick to act on the defensive and act like he wasn't enjoying the song, etc. It's silly to be honest.

It seems like we live in a generation nowadays where EVERYONE doesn't want to be in the majority and EVERYONE wants to be "different." It's silly, it's like people are trying to flock out of the "mainstream" but they usually just end up being a part of or indulging in some sub-culture. But that sub-culture would have it's own "mainstream." Are you going to run away from that as well? Are you going to keep flocking to smaller and smaller and more exclusive and obscure levels of sub-cultures up until the point where you're all alone and lonely, in your room, only listening to music that you and only you produce, music that you don't share with anyone else, refusing to listen to music produced by anyone else because then you'd be a group of two and that music would be shared between two people thus making it the "mainstream" of that group of two?

The truth is, people like to be in groups, whether large or small, because people always feel the need that be accepted by someone other than themselves; most of us find it easy to identity our faults by ourselves but usually it takes another person to point out our good qualities since we are usually unsure or not willing to admit it to ourselves. So even if you manage to escape mainstream, you're still likely to be drawn to whatever sub-culture and you'll find yourself listening to that sub-culture's mainstream in order to feel like you are "accepted" by such a sub-culture.

This whole "hating on mainstream just 'cause it's mainstream" fiasco is just silly imho.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing

Last edited by reuben_tate; 05-28-2013 at 05:08 AM..
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

I didn't know liking something mainstream was verboten. Well I have to confess...

I like Nikki Minaj's music. :<
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #11
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

i liked dubstep b4 it was kool
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #12
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

omg dubstep is sooooooooo 2011 skrillix is my favorite band tho #deadmau6
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

wtf is mainstream
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #14
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

i still want to be on american idol
Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #15
.Layne.
~~
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
I just think that one's opinion on a song should be independent on it's popularity. I mean it wouldn't make sense to change your opinion on a song of yours if it wasn't popular but then it became popular. If you like a song and it also just so happens to be popular/mainstream, then great! If you don't like a song and it also just so happens to be popular/mainstream, then great! If you like a song and it also just so happens to not be mainstream, then great! If you don't like a song and it also just so happens to not be mainstream, then great! I don't care. Just don't make your opinion on it based solely on the popularity of the song.

I have a friend of mine and sometimes I'll be playing whatever music and occasionally I might have mainstream song come up. I see him bobbing is head, seeming to enjoy the music and all. And in a pleasant voice, he'd ask "who's the artist?" and then I'll tell him the mainstream artist's name and he'll be quick to act on the defensive and act like he wasn't enjoying the song, etc. It's silly to be honest.

It seems like we live in a generation nowadays where EVERYONE doesn't want to be in the majority and EVERYONE wants to be "different." It's silly, it's like people are trying to flock out of the "mainstream" but they usually just end up being a part of or indulging in some sub-culture. But that sub-culture would have it's own "mainstream." Are you going to run away from that as well? Are you going to keep flocking to smaller and smaller and more exclusive and obscure levels of sub-cultures up until the point where you're all alone and lonely, in your room, only listening to music that you and only you produce, music that you don't share with anyone else, refusing to listen to music produced by anyone else because then you'd be a group of two and that music would be shared between two people thus making it the "mainstream" of that group of two?

The truth is, people like to be in groups, whether large or small, because people always feel the need that be accepted by someone other than themselves; most of us find it easy to identity our faults by ourselves but usually it takes another person to point out our good qualities since we are usually unsure or not willing to admit it to ourselves. So even if you manage to escape mainstream, you're still likely to be drawn to whatever sub-culture and you'll find yourself listening to that sub-culture's mainstream in order to feel like you are "accepted" by such a sub-culture.

This whole "hating on mainstream just 'cause it's mainstream" fiasco is just silly imho.
dat lengthy post

.Layne. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

o.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #17
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I agree if you hate something just because it's mainstream, that's silly.

Also it's entirely possible to dislike the mainstream concept while at the same time being able to appreciate things which might be mainstream. No, this isn't a contradiction. It is a distinction between a process and a product.

Anyone who is getting "You can't like mainstream things" from this completely misses the point.

reuben_tate seems to be understanding it pretty well.

Basically, the mainstream process completely sucks but that doesn't mean everything it produces absolutely has to suck. It just means it absolutely has to appeal to a wide audience, which necessarily limits what it can do.

Put another way, you're unlikely to ever find the very best x, y, or z in the mainstream although you may find x, y, or z which you like.

It's just a fact that in order to make something have mainstream appeal, compromises have to be made. These compromises generally take away from potential of what something could be in order to make it more acceptable "on average".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #18
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
welcome to 2013 enjoy the ride here have a free hat thank you for choosing Flash Flash Revolution for your curiosities of the future human race
Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

i heard atom head originally was set to produced super bass but was booted because he didnt want to conform to the current style of music
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
LMFAO
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote