DRG's Team Tournament - Intermediate 1st Place
9th Official FFR Tournament - D5 35th Place

HalfStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Cyber Bullying in 10 years

I never said I wasn't an idiot in highschool. I probably deserved half the shit I got actually.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #23
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

From plenty first-hand experience I can easily confirm that the best way to deal with (non-physical) bullying is to simply ignore it and not give their words any worth whatsoever. Taking personal offense to a bully saying something is, in my opinion, pretty dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontBanMeYet View Post
The only person responsible for the suicide should be the person who decided to kill themselves. [...] A person should not be held accountable for another person's decision to commit suicide, especially in cases where the supposed "suspects" are not capable of physically stopping the person from killing themselves. This just sounds like the government wants to increase the scope of their behavior policing policies.
You are naive. People can be influenced; and people who are already on the edge of doing something terrible can often very easily be influenced. If I were suicidal and posted a thread as a call for help, and everybody on FFR would tell me to kill myself because I'm a ******, then you're all comitting a crime. Indoctrinating someone into commiting crimes (because yes, suiciding is a crime) is illegal - and it should be trivial to realize why.

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
PaperclipGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
dragon890x
☆Ξ Phantasy Star Legend Ξ☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX View Post
So everyday we hear about people who are terrorized online for random reasons, but the people doing it are never punished because of their anonymity(whatever) online. It seems like people are starting to take it more and more seriously lately though, especially since a lot consider cyber bullying worse than real life bullying(which has pretty bad consequences nowadays in schools).
'Anonymity' is available for both parties. This may only be my perspective, but I see many people who are 'bullied' on the internet responding in a senseless manner. Most of the time, they throw themselves out in the open, waiting for people to jump in and take their side or do something for them (attack the bully). Much of what I see is due to their interest in drama or confusion on how to deal with others in a social environment.

The truth is, everyone deals with bullies. However, you don't hear everyone's problems.
Why do you think that is so?

I'm not trying to dwarf people's problems with others, but I do feel like many of these issues could be handled in a much better way. Once again, being anonymous should work for both parties, and ignoring someone on the internet is simple enough to do. When problems cross certain lines, authorities can step in. However, bullying has been going on for a long, long time. This is not some new kind of epidemic; it was bound to happen. Do you remember AIM chat rooms?

Now, I'm going to dive into more personal thoughts.

Cyber bullying is pretty similar to cyber sex.

Compare cyber sex with 'irl' sex. What is the difference? Why do people have cyber sex? Are the thoughts, feelings, desires still there?

Compare cyber bullying with 'irl' bullying. Think about the previous questions. Let me go into a little more detail now. What about punching, can you do that online? Gathering friends and swarming around a defenseless victim, can you do that online? Sure you can, there are alternatives that you could mention, and plenty of them.

But, there is a huge difference. I do view cyber bullying as a lesser problem when compared to problems with people who are up close and personal. The internet and the mind both provide strong tools that should negate most online attacks. All these victims need to do is use them. The same cannot be said for life outside of the internet. It's hard to ignore a fist slamming into your face, or block a user from breaking into your home.

[ Link ]
dragon890x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
DontBanMeYet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperclipGames View Post

You are naive. People can be influenced; and people who are already on the edge of doing something terrible can often very easily be influenced. If I were suicidal and posted a thread as a call for help, and everybody on FFR would tell me to kill myself because I'm a ******, then you're all comitting a crime. Indoctrinating someone into commiting crimes (because yes, suiciding is a crime) is illegal - and it should be trivial to realize why.
I'm just going to respond to your post like this:

You are naive(what about my statement led you to assume that I am naive? Are you assuming that i lack certain knowledge? what has led to you assume this? you are the person who is naive, you dont know the extent of my understanding and you are pretending to know in an effort to insult me on something completely unrelated to the topic at hand).
People can be influenced(No shit. I never said that they couldnt be influenced. Just because somebody is influenced by other people does not mean that the people who influenced them are responsible for the things that person does
; and people who are already on the edge of doing something terrible can often very easily be influenced(So what. Let the idiots be easily influenced, I'm not responsible for another person's weakness. a lot of times people go online and ask for help just to find others who will justify the things that they are already thinking. Know anything about confirmation bias?).
If I were suicidal and posted a thread as a call for help, and everybody on FFR would tell me to kill myself because I'm a ******, then you're all comitting a crime.What crime is being committed? If everybody was helpful and the person still killed themselves, would somebody get charged for not doing enough to prevent the suicide?
Indoctrinating someone into commiting crimes (because yes, suiciding is a crime) is illegal - and it should be trivial to realize why.You want to talk about indoctrinating people into committing crimes(suicide being one of those crimes), look at the justice system in America. The prison environment breeds criminal behavior and many prisoners end up committing suicide. Cyberbullying is trivial compared to the injustice of our justice system. Telling somebody to kill themselves over the internet isn't exactly indoctrination.

p.s. you edited out an important part of my post when you quoted me

Last edited by DontBanMeYet; 06-30-2013 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: U JUST GOT PWND
DontBanMeYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
what about my statement led you to assume that I am naive? Are you assuming that i lack certain knowledge? what has led to you assume this?
The fact that you actually think the only person at fault for suicide is the person whom makes the choice, as the way you worded it, sounds like it's a 100% statement. It's not even close.

That makes you incredibly naive and stupid I'd even add, if you think that that person legitimately wants to end their life.

Suicides are typically a mean of last resort, when no option other than it feel viable. Is it the choice of the person to go through it? No. Actually, it would be dependent on a lot of factors that very per person.

External factors to suicides are endless, and while sometimes your statement of it is only the fault of the one who chose that action, more often than not you'd find that statement to be so wrong it would burn your retinas to read such a statement.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #27
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

we can only hope that the next generation of cyberbullies are like cetaka
Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
DontBanMeYet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
The fact that you actually think the only person at fault for suicide is the person whom makes the choice, as the way you worded it, sounds like it's a 100% statement. It's not even close.

That makes you incredibly naive and stupid I'd even add, if you think that that person legitimately wants to end their life.

Suicides are typically a mean of last resort, when no option other than it feel viable. Is it the choice of the person to go through it? No. Actually, it would be dependent on a lot of factors that very per person.

External factors to suicides are endless, and while sometimes your statement of it is only the fault of the one who chose that action, more often than not you'd find that statement to be so wrong it would burn your retinas to read such a statement.

If you read my first post in this thread you will see that I said if anybody is to blame it is our culture and that since there is no way to charge our entire culture with a crime, the only person who should be to blame is the person who committed suicide. I'm talking about this from a legal perspective. I firmly believe that other people should not be charged with a crime because of another person's decision to commit suicide. You are just as bad as paperclip games in that you assume things about my opinion and wish to insult me more than you wish to understand. Of course there are a variety of factors that contribute to suicide, but ultimately the only person who is responsible is the person who decides to kill themselves.

Last edited by DontBanMeYet; 06-30-2013 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: NOOB U JUST GOT PWND
Old 06-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #29
Jonlovesddr
h
FFR Veteran

who needs to spend thousands on psychiatrists when you have the ffr counseling center
Old 07-1-2013, 04:26 AM   #30
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

@DontBanMeYet: The way you approach things is that when crime X is committed, the person who commited X should be punished, regardless of the circumstances. I can give you countless examples of why that system is flawed as fuck and would not work; aside from indoctrination, repression and blackmail are just another two.

Let's say I tell you that I'd kill your entire family if you didn't steal a car for me. You don't want your whole family to end up killed, so you do it. I drive away in said car, bye-bye. The next day you are arrested by the police as someone witnessed you stealing the car. You go to jail. Does this sound like justice?

While I agree that the current legal system is terrible, that doesn't mean I should just conform to the way things are and be like "Ah, well, whatever, let's just hold the person who suicided responsible just because the system works the easiest like that".

Also, if you truly consider that statement/post of mine insulting or offensive, then you are quite the example of an easily influenced "idiot" with weaknesses. But that only means that, according to your logic, I can tell you to eat shit and die, and if you do, I'm in the clear. Good game.

P.S.: None of this post was intended to be offensive. Just in case you feel like I stepped on your soul.

Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
Old 07-1-2013, 04:33 AM   #31
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

@DontBanMeYet: The way you approach things is that when crime X is committed, the person who commited X should be punished, regardless of the circumstances. I can give you countless examples of why that system is flawed as fuck and would not work; aside from indoctrination, repression and blackmail are just another two.

Let's say I tell you that I'd kill your entire family if you didn't steal a car for me. You don't want your whole family to end up killed, so you do it. I drive away in said car, bye-bye. The next day you are arrested by the police as someone witnessed you stealing the car. You go to jail. Does this sound like justice?

While I agree that the current legal system is terrible, that doesn't mean I should just conform to the way things are and be like "Ah, well, whatever, let's just hold the person who suicided responsible just because the system works the easiest like that".

Also, if you truly consider that statement/post of mine insulting or offensive, then you are quite the example of an easily influenced "idiot" with weaknesses. But that only means that, according to your logic, I can tell you to eat shit and die, and if you do, I'm in the clear. Good game.

P.S.: None of this post was intended to be offensive. Just in case you feel like I stepped on your soul.

Quote:
You are just as bad as paperclip games in that you assume things about my opinion and wish to insult me more than you wish to understand.
The irony in this post is overwhelming. You just made a very big assumption. And it is a false one, at that!

Edit: Let me further address a contradiction you keep making.
Quote:
The only person responsible for the suicide should be the person who decided to kill themselves. If anything, our culture is responsible for suicide
Quote:
If you read my first post in this thread you will see that I said if anybody is to blame it is our culture and that since there is no way to charge our entire culture with a crime, the only person who should be to blame is the person who committed suicide.
Please elaborate, or stay away from the thread, because the more you post, the more I get the idea you indeed have no idea what you're talking about.

Edit 2: I accidentally made a new post instead of editing. My bad. The above post can be deleted.

Last edited by PaperclipGames; 07-1-2013 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: Whoops.
Old 07-1-2013, 04:40 AM   #32
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Why does anyone take his posts seriously at all
Old 07-1-2013, 04:44 AM   #33
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

There is a disagreement on the topic, which can spark discussion? Someone else's opinion being flawed or BS (in your and mine opinion, at least) isn't really a valid reason to just not take him seriously...

By that I mean that it seems like he's legitimately trying to make a point rather than just randomly troll around in the thread.

Old 07-1-2013, 05:19 AM   #34
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Since the liberation of "bullying" expanded to ~cyber space~,
where most of society's lives currently are,
the consequences that physical bullies face should be installed to online domineers as well.

but
imo, bullies tend to breach the peace too,
and so,
often that it's more of a common expectation to many individuals and thus a tradition in some aspects.
Because of this accustomed establishment of bullying, many of our bullies trek without an appeased amount of chastening;
so the penalties imo should be elevated and awareness as well.
They, even we, are disturbing the fxcking peace.
Though retribution varies within states, we have a right to be safe; especially in our own home.
But what can one expect whilst wondering the school yard alone?
school yard is a reference to "the internet" if you do not get it
Old 07-1-2013, 11:46 AM   #35
DontBanMeYet
Banned

Quote:
@DontBanMeYet: The way you approach things is that when crime X is committed, the person who commited X should be punished, regardless of the circumstances. I can give you countless examples of why that system is flawed as fuck and would not work; aside from indoctrination, repression and blackmail are just another two.examples of why the system would not work??? this is the system in place right now and it fuckin works, let me tell you, the prisons are full!! if it is any good at providing justice is another matter entirely.

Let's say I tell you that I'd kill your entire family if you didn't steal a car for me. You don't want your whole family to end up killed, so you do it. I drive away in said car, bye-bye. The next day you are arrested by the police as someone witnessed you stealing the car. You go to jail. Does this sound like justice?I never said anything about the criminal justice system being just, in fact i said the opposite. That person would be charged with grand theft auto. The justice system doesn't care about your feelings. It is a cold hard boot that will crush you like dog shit

While I agree that the current legal system is terrible, that doesn't mean I should just conform to the way things are and be like "Ah, well, whatever, let's just hold the person who suicided responsible just because the system works the easiest like that".its not like you have a choice about anything that goes on in the legal system once you've entered the process. if you dont conform, then the system will conform you. if you cant find a place, its gonna find you. you have no choice

Also, if you truly consider that statement/post of mine insulting or offensive, then you are quite the example of an easily influenced "idiot" with weaknesses. But that only means that, according to your logic, I can tell you to eat shit and die, and if you do, I'm in the clear. Good game.i dont care what people say about me because i know the truth for myself, and that is enough.

P.S.: None of this post was intended to be offensive. Just in case you feel like I stepped on your soul.my soul is untouchable

The irony in this post is overwhelming. You just made a very big assumption. And it is a false one, at that! i know what you are but what am i?

Edit: Let me further address a contradiction you keep making.

I see the contradiction, but the fact that it is a contradiction does not detract from the statement's truth. Given our current system, the only person who should be to blame is the person who killed themselves. It is how our legal system works and how suicide is dealt with in the courts. I do not want to give the government any more excuses to send people to prison. Charging people with a crime because of another person's suicide is just absurd.

Please elaborate, or stay away from the thread, because the more you post, the more I get the idea you indeed have no idea what you're talking about.

Edit 2: I accidentally made a new post instead of editing. My bad. The above post can be deleted.

If you do not get where i am coming from, i do not know what to say. You live in the Netherlands are not as well aquainted as I am with the american justice system(which is the legal system i have been referring to this whole time). in your country there are about 30 people serving life sentences. In america, there are 132,000 people serving life sentences. In America there is one person serving a life sentence for every 2378 people. In the Netherlands there is one person serving a life sentence for every 505757 people. Do these statistics tell you anything about life in America?? You assume that your personal feelings somehow have a bearing on the legal mechanisms already in place; Unless you start a revolution, they do not. the system doesn't care about you and will gladly put you to death when given the chance.

Last edited by DontBanMeYet; 07-1-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Old 07-1-2013, 12:14 PM   #36
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

You've basically been agreeing with my point during that entire reply; you admitted that the legal system is fucked up and unjust. I would say a system "works" if it is just; which it obviously is not. So, no, it does not work.

Filling prisons isn't a proper measure to see if a legal system works. If anything, the opposite. o_o

(Though, you assumed more things about me again, which, again, are false; and furthermore I wasn't referring to any country's laws whatsoever. Tell me where I assumed the Dutch or the American or any other law system specifically.)

Either way, as of that reply I officially abandon this thread, because it is obvious now that you will not understand me (because if you would, and you are not a troll, your reply would be different regardless of your opinion). Therefore, especially since you're exactly proving my point, I hereby claim my "win" on this matter.

Old 07-1-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I see the contradiction, but the fact that it is a contradiction does not detract from the statement's truth.
It means that at least one of the two statements you made is blatantly false. I personally even think both were false, but that's where our opinions vary. The contradiction means you're just talking shit that has no value, because at least one of the two times you were lying about your opinion.

Just because a legal system blames the suicider, doesn't mean I must agree with that, and I definitely don't think that "works".

Edit: And also, a high life sentence per person ratio can imply many things. It can mean that your system is harsher. It can also mean people are more criminal. It can also mean people are easier caught. It can mean so many things, but of all things, I don't see how it means it "works better".

Last edited by PaperclipGames; 07-1-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Old 07-1-2013, 12:21 PM   #38
DontBanMeYet
Banned

Quote:
You've basically been agreeing with my point during that entire reply; you admitted that the legal system is fucked up and unjust. I would say a system "works" if it is just; which it obviously is not. So, no, it does not work.

Filling prisons isn't a proper measure to see if a legal system works. If anything, the opposite. o_o

(Though, you assumed more things about me again, which, again, are false; and furthermore I wasn't referring to any country's laws whatsoever. Tell me where I assumed the Dutch or the American or any other law system specifically.)

Either way, as of that reply I officially abandon this thread, because it is obvious now that you will not understand me (because if you would, and you are not a troll, your reply would be different regardless of your opinion). Therefore, especially since you're exactly proving my point, I hereby claim my "win" on this matter.
Win? wow, I think that statement sums up your mentality pretty well. The only person who wins is the person who walks away with a better understanding of the situation, it is not the person who claims to know better and to have proven themselves right, that's childish, especially when the other side does not even understand the point you were trying to make in the first place. You didn't prove anything, I have had the same position the entire time, my position has not changed since my first post and this post, it just took a few of my posts for you to understand my point. You are obviously not a native English speaker and I am(the best of the best of those who speak english, nonetheless) so a little misunderstanding is understandable, but dont parade yourself as the "victor" of some imagined fight when I am the only one who has maintained a solid stance.

Last edited by DontBanMeYet; 07-1-2013 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-1-2013, 12:26 PM   #39
DontBanMeYet
Banned

Quote:
It means that at least one of the two statements you made is blatantly false. I personally even think both were false, but that's where our opinions vary. The contradiction means you're just talking shit that has no value, because at least one of the two times you were lying about your opinion.

Just because a legal system blames the suicider, doesn't mean I must agree with that, and I definitely don't think that "works".

Edit: And also, a high life sentence per person ratio can imply many things. It can mean that your system is harsher. It can also mean people are more criminal. It can also mean people are easier caught. It can mean so many things, but of all things, I don't see how it means it "works better".
seriously, you need to stop assuming things about my opinion. just because i am telling you the harsh truths of how our system works does not mean that i agree with the system!! You are not trying to understand, you are just assuming things and responding to me as if i believe the things you have assumed about my opinion. re-read my posts 25 times each and then reply, dont just skim them and reply with your imagination
Old 07-1-2013, 12:32 PM   #40
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

You are assuming more, once again; and again, you were false. The intention of my discussion with you was not to prove myself right. You proved me right, though, and I'm satisfied with that.
I agree with you on that the point of discussions is to gather more insights, hence why I put the "win" in apostrophes. You claim to understand me perfectly well, but you are false every time, because you are now making claims on my mentality and my ability to understand and speak the English language; both of which are irrelevant to the actual topic we were discussing, and both of which are no more than a personal attack.

To top it off, you haven't changed my opinion either, which means there is more falsehood in your post (by claiming you were the only one to maintain a solid stance). I think we can both agree that, when it comes to what discussions should be about, we have both lost, considering no opinions have changed, and neither of us have gathered new proper insights, other than that our opinions are (still) different.

You have degraded to the level of a troll. I dismiss all further supposed value of your post.

@Your last post:
Quote:
examples of why the system would not work??? this is the system in place right now and it fuckin works, let me tell you, the prisons are full!!
That is all.

Unless your notion of "it works" and "I like it" are fundamentally different, I'm not assuming anything about your opinion.

Last edited by PaperclipGames; 07-1-2013 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Fixed a typo.