Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: English 12 AP

I tell you, the general statement->specific statement method of introduction writing is foolproof!
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #22
Mulie
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Trust Devonin; he has learnings.

I for one found university entry level General English to be moderately difficult. Skipped a couple of grades of it in high school and never payed attention in the rest, so when the time came to discuss the specific rules of English grammar it was like they were speaking in another language. In the end, I didn't learn much.
Mulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #23
D B Cooper
FFR Player

important.... sports...art......music

geography...history...English...science=not so much

i'm an artist

you=not so much

D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #24
Eeumi
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Eeumi

Well in response to the whole MLA thing, my teacher tried explaining that those guidelines didn't meet the expectations of a strong concise AP 12 paper. She sais at best it would earn you a 6 which is basically a D. Justt wondering if anyone tried moving away from MLA.

AAA's-17 (public)
FC's-176 (public)
Eeumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #25
Iam90
FFR Player

that is flat out wrong lmao

almost no essay writing parameters will net you a bad score on their own - it's the skill (or lack thereof) of the writer operating under these parameters that will determine a good or bad score
Iam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #26
STD_Sappy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to STD_Sappy Send a message via MSN to STD_Sappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeumi View Post
Well in response to the whole MLA thing, my teacher tried explaining that those guidelines didn't meet the expectations of a strong concise AP 12 paper. She sais at best it would earn you a 6 which is basically a D. Justt wondering if anyone tried moving away from MLA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam90 View Post
that is flat out wrong lmao

almost no essay writing parameters will net you a bad score on their own - it's the skill (or lack thereof) of the writer operating under these parameters that will determine a good or bad score
I took SATs, in which I wrote in MLA format and scored a 10 out of 12 on the essay portion of it. (Would have done better but I was given 25 minutes as opposed to 35; yes, it does make a difference.)

I took a timed essay test in the beginning of the class and was told to use MLA format, and scored a perfect 12/12 on it. (was given 35 minutes for this one.)

Iam90 couldn't have said it better.

I don't know why anybody would waste their time constructing a guideline for an essay if it wasn't productive for the students? And on another point, what kind of ignorant teacher would say that anyone using MLA will be pre-judged and probably given a 'D' anyways just because the class is AP Lit 12? Sounds like a teacher that's under the tenure contract to me, or simply underestimates MLA. (I wouldn't blame a student, for instance, but a teacher? Come on.)

That's just what I'm getting out of what you're saying.

Sappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
He's Sappy.... He deserves his own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
Amen.
Because he's so well known. ;]
Lol, I love these people. <3

Last edited by STD_Sappy; 10-26-2010 at 12:14 AM..
STD_Sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #27
Iam90
FFR Player

i applied no standard structures or no real "structure" per se at all to my SAT essay and got 12 (on the actual SAT, not a practice)

really, you can either write well or not; that's not to say it isn't possible to improve the quality of your writing but it's a skill that is MUCH more slowly learned than others, and generally, those who will score highly on the SAT essay have a more intuitive ability to write well than those who do not; same with the AP essays.

what i'm trying to say is that it's MUCH more beneficial to study for portions of the test that are more within your control; learn the pattern behind the college-board style of analyzing literature using rhetorical devices, etc
Iam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #28
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Quote:
Originally Posted by D B Cooper View Post
important.... sports...art......music

geography...history...English...science=not so much

i'm an artist

you=not so much
Seriously man,

I will break your jaw.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #29
STD_Sappy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to STD_Sappy Send a message via MSN to STD_Sappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam90 View Post
i applied no standard structures or no real "structure" per se at all to my SAT essay and got 12 (on the actual SAT, not a practice)

really, you can either write well or not; that's not to say it isn't possible to improve the quality of your writing but it's a skill that is MUCH more slowly learned than others, and generally, those who will score highly on the SAT essay have a more intuitive ability to write well than those who do not; same with the AP essays.

what i'm trying to say is that it's MUCH more beneficial to study for portions of the test that are more within your control; learn the pattern behind the college-board style of analyzing literature using rhetorical devices, etc
well, it was my first sit with no practice at all. i was pretty happy with the score i got, considering my planning time to writing time ratio was very bad. and also, if you're saying that taking an SAT reasoning test will determine how intuitive you are in terms of writing and/or reasoning, then you are very mistaken. that test is designed to basically see how far you can go before getting tricked. so i don't agree with you on that one.

a timed essay only reflects what you can do at an improvisational level (considering you don't know what the prompt is and have ~25 minutes to complete.) what if one can't work under pressure such as the pressures that the SAT is associated with, but at the same time, can write a very well written essay in a week, or even two? are you to assume that that writer is not intuitive because of these restrictions? just trying to see what you're getting at.

-sappy.

Sappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
He's Sappy.... He deserves his own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
Amen.
Because he's so well known. ;]
Lol, I love these people. <3
STD_Sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #30
sameoldbloodrush!
FFR Player

I'm in the class, my teacher is an absolute nazi and makes us write essays on the daily. Then makes us re-write them all. Multiple times. Haha..
Right now we're starting to read Jane Eyre 80 pages tonight woooooooooo..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite- View Post
That's what she said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles2224 View Post
They sentenced him 300 years cause this is sparta.
sameoldbloodrush! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #31
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

I had to read that book in 7th grade. Just be glad you got to wait that long.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #32
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

I never read it. My bro did in 10th grade though and he liked it.

When I took AP Lit, we read... Heart of Darkness, The Awakening, Macbeth, Things Fall Apart, The Stranger, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and The Kite Runner. In addition to those I read Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

All those books (and play) have been referred to on the AP exam for the free response question so knowing one or two of them really well would help immensely. I suggest going over this list and marking the ones you've read already and ones you think you should read or would want to read.

http://homepage.mac.com/mseffie/AP/APtitles.html

I read a few of those in 11th grade in AP Lang. but it'd be best to stick to books you've read in 12th grade when you go to take the test at the end of the year. xD
Old 10-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #33
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STD_Sappy View Post
well, it was my first sit with no practice at all. i was pretty happy with the score i got, considering my planning time to writing time ratio was very bad. and also, if you're saying that taking an SAT reasoning test will determine how intuitive you are in terms of writing and/or reasoning, then you are very mistaken. that test is designed to basically see how far you can go before getting tricked. so i don't agree with you on that one.

a timed essay only reflects what you can do at an improvisational level (considering you don't know what the prompt is and have ~25 minutes to complete.) what if one can't work under pressure such as the pressures that the SAT is associated with, but at the same time, can write a very well written essay in a week, or even two? are you to assume that that writer is not intuitive because of these restrictions? just trying to see what you're getting at.

-sappy.
Good writers should be able to think on the spot.
The SAT reasoning is actually quite effective if you ask me - the people who regularly read & have better reading comprehension and writing skills than others will score better on the test. If you read more frequently, you will come across many different writing styles, and by observing other writers, you will become a good writer by carving out your own style..

Because what you're saying is, a high score on the SAT doesn't mean crap and vice versa.. why do you think colleges look at SAT scores to compare you to other students?
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote