Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #81
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Portal [Interesting Physics]

I hope Portal 3 starts to include some serious relativity puzzles. It'd make for some really, really interesting mindbenders.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #82
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
According to qqwref, I should be able to tug on the panel and float -- or perhaps keep a constant tug and float up indefinitely. But this doesn't make much sense.
Doesn't make much sense because it's counterintuitive? Or because you see something wrong with the force argument?

Quote:
Trying to pull the panel up will also pull the table + rest of the world up
How so? If the portal panel isn't connected to the table (and I'm assuming it isn't because if that was the intent leonid would've just put the top portal on the table), there's no reason lifting the panel would have any effect on the table.

Quote:
however much you pull up, that much volume will be displaced below the lower portal -- otherwise nothing can be pulled.
What do you mean by volume displaced below the lower portal?
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #83
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

This might be relevant or irrelevant, but has there been any evidence of changes in time due to extreme velocity? Like if you put a watch in the large hadron collider and had the same watch as a control, would the two watches be any different at all?

I know it's probably taboo to not believe in this concept, but I just find it really hard to believe and as far as I know there has been no evidence to support that the concept of time is a manipulatable dimension.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #84
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
This might be relevant or irrelevant, but has there been any evidence of changes in time due to extreme velocity? Like if you put a watch in the large hadron collider and had the same watch as a control, would the two watches be any different at all?

I know it's probably taboo to not believe in this concept, but I just find it really hard to believe and as far as I know there has been no evidence to support that the concept of time is a manipulatable dimension.
I feel the exact same way. I remember Bill Nye the Science Guy explaining it to me when I was just a little kid and since then I've always wondered if maybe science has it wrong. Space and Time is beyond me, I have assumptions but I don't think much of them considering they're probably wrong.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #85
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

There absolutely is evidence of this. Hell even the satellites that orbit earth have to be programmed to compensate for slight time dilation to stay accurate, and those are only going 10,000-20,000mph

I'm probably rusty on my relativity theory, but the closer you are to achieving the speed of light, the slower time gets. Upon reaching the speed of light (which technically shouldn't even be possible) then time would essentially stop, but only would appear to stop if observed by someone else who was stationary/going the opposite direction. The person who was actually going the speed of light would feel as though time were perfectly normal.

So according to the observer, the watches would get horribly offsync, also works vice versa, the person traveling at lightspeed would see the stationary person's watch as being stopped.

This essentially even gives us the ability to travel hundreds or thousands of lightyears away in a single lifetime given we're able to get close enough to the speed of light.

Last edited by darkshark; 04-25-2011 at 06:02 PM..
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #86
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

But what if that effect has nothing to do with what we think of as time. What if that happens just because of something like your speed is getting closer and closer to the speed at which the electrons are orbiting the atoms. So once both are going at the speed of light there would be no rate of change and thus things would appear to stop. Although maybe this is what "time" is.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #87
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

All you need to know is that the speed of light is constant for all observers in all reference frames -- and from there you deduce all sorts of wacky phenomena that have been experimentally verified.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #88
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

I used to think that time was just something we humans pretty much made up to gauge periods between movements, but the more and more you learn about the physics of time, the less you think it's "made up".

Go look up time dilation on wikipedia or something, really interesting stuff, that will undoubtedly lead to much more in-depth reading material.

Last edited by darkshark; 04-25-2011 at 06:12 PM..
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #90
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I just thought of something curious.

In the game, when we put portals on the ground, things bob back and forth, which means that it still feels gravity through the portal even though it's "facing" the ceiling in both cases.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #91
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

If one were to very slowly position themselves to the midway point through both portals on the ground, do you float?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #92
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

In the game, you bob back and forth forever
Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #93
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Worlds shortest particle (or hell pretty much any object) accelerator.

Red = Magnets

Or remove blue portal once the object is up to speed to create a ridiculously powerful railgun of sorts.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #94
_Stepdude_
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to _Stepdude_ Send a message via Skype™ to _Stepdude_

Quote:
In the game, you bob back and forth forever
I guess it's because the momentum you have when you enter the portal never ends. If you put anything through the portal with x speed, it will exit with x speed and then fall back through the portal with the same speed as before. Even if gravity pulls it down through one portal, the exact same thing happens with the other portal, so they cancel eachother out. Creating the only variable to be the momentum.

I'm sorry, I'm really tired so I hope I made any sense >_>

EDIT

Though if an object were to be placed smack in the middle of 2 portals on the ground, I don't see why the object wouldn't stop.

Last edited by _Stepdude_; 04-25-2011 at 07:47 PM..
_Stepdude_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #95
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
If one were to very slowly position themselves to the midway point through both portals on the ground, do you float?
I imagine you would. If you just put something in one of these portals, it would oscillate back and forth, but eventually air friction should bring it to an effective stop.

It's a bit hard to imagine a gravitational field that completely switches directions on a line, but it's probably easier to imagine an electric field with the same behavior (at least thinking theoretically). A point charge in that field would show the same behavior.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #96
Van T
FFR Player

Say two spaceships fly off in opposite directions at speeds greater than .5c
The net speed between the two would be greater than c, so would each observe the other as going backwards in time?
e: For the sake of ease of communication/mingling, there are portals linking the two ships
Van T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #97
Ickalanda
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickalanda

2. The second one doesn't work. If you were able to put the portal on the table then that means that the table is larger than the portal, meaning it wouldn't fit through another portal since they are all the same size in the game.
This is retarded. You're talking about portals, why limit them to the properties of the video game? Clearly if portals could exist, they would be able to be different sizes.
How is this retarded? If a portal is opened connecting two places in space, both the entrance and exit must be the same size unless they are modifying the spacing of the particles entering them, and either way this prevents the table deal from working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
As can be seen in the posted image, the table traveling through the portal will quickly be halted because the size of the table is determined by the portal on it (I am assuming the portal can not go beyond the edges of the table.

This means that the physical limitations of the table quickly halts any sort of exponential growth you might expect to occur from this situation, as I said in my original post. The table will collide with the other table (or itself o_0) much too quickly into the process, halting movement.

The only way to get this to work is to mess around with the sizing of the portals, making it make even less physical sense than the portals already do haha.

My StarCraft II YouTube Channel!
Ickalanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #98
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Wouldn't sound be able to travel through the portal?

EDIT: I would imagine portals being very very dangerous in real life. What would happen if a portal disappeared while you were going through it?

Last edited by ~kitty~; 04-26-2011 at 01:48 AM..
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #99
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

you will be cut in half

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #100
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist