Old 12-8-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default thanks FFR

sometimes I talk shit on y'all but unless it involves deceit (i.e. I think you're being dishonest) I am >90% guaranteed to not think it's a big deal

and I think that gets at a crucial thing about this website, and websites like it, that I value a lot. because lately I've seen a lot of discussion groups on the internet where people just think their input is valuable by default, without saying why, or qualifying their experience in any way.

for example: "that's annoying" as your only comment.

now you may know instances of people on FFR saying things like this but that's backed up by who they are. if Dynam0 says "that's annoying" on a chart of yours you know this is not just someone's unsolicited preference, this is one of the best players of this game saying this. whether you take it into account is one thing, but we all make comments realizing these things.

so what I've realized about this community shaped how I thought about people as a teenager is, to an extent, how the US Marine Corps does as well. you might think that's ridiculous, but hear me out, because several of my close friends are marines. some active duty.

in places like this, you do not matter unless you give people a reason to believe you matter. everyone who is posting here, who has achieved some kind of recognition, has SHOWN why they deserve to be paid attention to at some point or another. either via your game playing ability, or your charts, or your music, or whatever -- everyone has contributed *something* to show how they're worth paying attention to. the marines are similar; you start off worthless, basically. you're set to zero and built up from there in value.

now people here don't berate you like it's the marines -- well, depends on the chart you submitted I guess -- but there IS an expectation of "what makes this person feel like they deserve to comment?"

and I remember that when I barely posted here. I felt that twice actually -- once when I first started posting here and had contributed very little, and once in 2007-2008 when I was unsure if my commentary was still worthwhile to anyone.

I still play Stepmania; not as much anymore, because I have a ton of other priorities, but I do. more importantly, though, because I discovered this website just as I was becoming a teenager (13-14), this mentality stuck with me for all of the other activities I decided to undertake seriously. the culture on websites like this one instilled a much higher standard of performance than the dinky high schools I was attending at the time. (one of them was *extremely* run-down and was the high school where students were sent when they had been suspended, so my standards from peers at the time were not high.)

since then, I know that I'm objectively great at a few things. when I was applying to grad school I was able to easily score the 99th percentile on the writing section, which I know is a result of my interest in writing in general, and I looked at it with standards closer to how I was used to being evaluated by people talking shit on me on the internet than, say, a professor with some nice things to say. if your writing can survive a professor's critique that's one thing, but if you can submit it to the internet public and they truly find nothing wrong with it then that's a special mark of survivability.

that score was quite a while ago (about a year ago), and I don't think that's an especially great thing to achieve -- it's just a test score -- but I think it's an example of something I wouldn't have done if I had never used this website and been expected to demonstrate why I should be paid attention to, as opposed to how many environments are now where every person's viewpoint is given equal weight regardless of merit.

so, thank you for being you. all of you.

Last edited by Arch0wl; 12-8-2016 at 07:36 PM..
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari
Default Re: thanks FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
in places like this, you do not matter unless you give people a reason to believe you matter. everyone who is posting here, who has achieved some kind of recognition, has SHOWN why they deserve to be paid attention to at some point or another. either via your game playing ability, or your charts, or your music, or whatever -- everyone has contributed *something* to show how they're worth paying attention to.
This is the truth, and the reason why I think I never mattered at all, except for a few people that are now living their lives. And this saddens me because I always liked the FFR community, but I never felt part of it.

Not that this matters now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
This is the truth, and the reason why I think I never mattered at all, except for a few people that are now living their lives. And this saddens me because I always liked the FFR community, but I never felt part of it.

Not that this matters now.
you're 2000 posts deep bruh you FFR as fuck calm down
Old 12-8-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

that's annoying

It's interesting to me that you mention this, because the type of community that you describe FFR as being is also the main reason that it took me so many years of lurking to finally make a real account and attempt to engage in conversation here. The notion of people requiring merit to be taken seriously is a double-edged sword, in that while it enables really good conversation, it also blocks out some people who wish to converse due to the nature of such an environment seeming hostile or exclusive.

That being said, I do like the idea of people's merit taking them further in discussion as opposed to those who are unproven, as it does help to weed out a lot of less desirable discussion. It's just one of those fine line things I suppose.

Also this is being said as someone who still doesn't feel like I belong here, though I can appreciate how nice it must be to belong to such a community based on the exclusivity as well as what you described.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 12-8-2016 at 07:43 PM..
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
CJsaysGUAH
FFR Player

remember that one time you played quasar
Old 12-8-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsaysGUAH View Post
remember that one time you played quasar
no, total blur
Old 12-8-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
no, total blur
Gaussian Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

pft u obviously dont know ur hsmps

get back to work, I dont care if it is christmas eve

Last edited by lofty rhino; 12-8-2016 at 09:46 PM..
lofty rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2016, 10:49 PM   #9
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

No, thank you Archmage Arch0wl and/or Prophet Alfred. Thank you.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

You certainly brought a lot to this community.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

And then this lofty rhino character comes barging in, struttin around like he owns the place.

Anyway, yea you're totally right. The elitism runs strong through the veins of FFR. A motivator for some, a deterrent for others (but we don't want the feeble-minded around here anyway!).

Last edited by rushyrulz; 12-9-2016 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: LUL
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2016, 10:56 AM   #12
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

I like FFR for how it can be some competitive and cut throat in one thread, but the next thread down is like this happy place where the two with counter-arguments are acting like best friends.

We take things seriously here but know that it isn't serious.
Old 12-9-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
TrixiePuff
I am Groot.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
in places like this, you do not matter unless you give people a reason to believe you matter. everyone who is posting here, who has achieved some kind of recognition, has SHOWN why they deserve to be paid attention to at some point or another. either via your game playing ability, or your charts, or your music, or whatever -- everyone has contributed *something* to show how they're worth paying attention to.
Pretty much.

Also. You're welcome.
AKA the Christian Church
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Man View Post
Hey Trixie, how does your asshole feel? Does it feel nice and stretched from how hard those jacks just raped you?

Last edited by TrixiePuff; 12-9-2016 at 05:23 PM..
TrixiePuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2016, 05:25 PM   #14
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Well there's a blast from the past
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2016, 05:28 PM   #15
TrixiePuff
I am Groot.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Well there's a blast from the past
Nice to see you too, Dev. :P
AKA the Christian Church
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Man View Post
Hey Trixie, how does your asshole feel? Does it feel nice and stretched from how hard those jacks just raped you?
TrixiePuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2016, 05:57 PM   #16
XCV
has nice tits
FFR Veteran

Quote:
you start off worthless, basically. you're set to zero and built up from there in value.
ways fiffer and my inner voice are alike: 1
Old 12-9-2016, 08:29 PM   #17
FoJaR
The Worst

Send a message via AIM to FoJaR Send a message via MSN to FoJaR

Quote:
as opposed to how many environments are now where every person's viewpoint is given equal weight regardless of merit.
yeah trying to argue with people about climate change is a struggle against this.
Old 12-9-2016, 09:57 PM   #18
IamMe90
FFR Player

i just decimated ur %10 score from that video back on AO.com a couple months ago (10p) and it made me think of the old days hehe
IamMe90 is offline   Reply With Quote