04im
FFR Player

Default Re: Why Mainstream Sucks

Old 05-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

There's nothing wrong with mainstream, and I dare say that there's nothing wrong with liking something merely because it's popular. Similarly, on the other hand, I also think there's merit in disliking something simply because everyone and their mother is jumping on some bandwagon -- but if you're going the route of the arrogant hipster, you may want to recalibrate your priorities and assess how honest your methods actually are.

The only thing I might dislike about mainstream is if it takes away profit incentive to develop niche realms otherwise (video games being a hugely obvious example).
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #43
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

reading this thread makes me think I might be very hipster without acknowledging it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #44
04im
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
reading this thread makes me think I might be very hipster without acknowledging it
fedora mafia
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #45
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

Why usernamegoeshere sucks

-It's usernamegoeshere.

end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #46
FFR4EVA_00
FFR Player

^
this would be an infinitely more interesting topic and generate much more intellectual discussion
Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #47
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'll admit the product of what comes out of mainstream production isn't always bad. But the process, the part where they try to appeal to the lowest common denominator in an attempt to reduce risk and guarantee profits, is starting to get old. That's probably one of the reasons why one of the reasons why it's becoming more and more mainstream to become hipster because the things that are coming out of mainstream production are becoming too homogeneous; I can't help but notice that it seems like more things are being recycled over and over again and it's starting to get boring. Variety is the spice of life and I think we're reaching the point where people are shunning away mainstream because over time its ability to satisfy their need for variety has worsened.

Especially in the field of video games, I'm hoping big name studios start to take a bit more risk in delivering products that are both good and innovative. Other than FFR and osu as of recent, I haven't done any serious gaming (or much casual gaming for that matter) whatsoever for about nearly a decade back when my original xbox broke due to flood damage. As time went on, I expected games to become more and more innovative as time went on. But what did I find when I went to other people's houses to play a game or two? I found that it's pretty much the same concepts, same ideas, same game mechanics over and over again with the only difference being the quality in the graphics. Probably one of the reasons I have yet to get back into serious gaming ever since then.

Also, that's probably one of the reasons why medium to hardcore gaming is on the decline while simple games that only require the attention span of a 3 year old are on the rise. People are just finding that it's not worth investing the time, money, and energy required to play games outside of the the App Store or the Play Store.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #48
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Well, indie games are still very much on the rise. Perhaps this is a huge signal that AAA developers, especially publishers, should focus on ideas that are not in their comfort zone.

Also, rapidly increasing graphical technologies will always try to yield the same game concepts, but in prettier form. I don't think that's going to go away any time soon unfortunately. But I do love to admire said graphical things because I'm the kind of person that enjoys seeing what other people hand crafted in games.

And I don't know about you guys, but I really want to see a platformer already that utilizes these advancements in technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #49
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

I did read the OP
I skimmed the rest of the thread

I think this topic would be reasonable in many other message boards. Unfortunately, UserName, you are beyond preaching to the choir. We're on a website with a flash simulation of a now-obscure rhythm game. Don't you think we would all be playing Call of Duty right now if we needed the information you've posted?
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #50
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

" I can't help but notice that it seems like more things are being recycled over and over again and it's starting to get boring."

Nah, you're just growing old. Everything's always being recycled, and has been for many a century. Not surprising that video games follow the same pattern.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #51
moches
FFR Player

Here's something about my experience listening to music that might be relevant: sometimes I don't want to spend my day ~brooding~ in some dark cafe about existentialism. Sometimes I just want to get crunk and bang with some Ke$ha. And I think that's just as valid a human experience as the former.

There's often a false distinction made between the real/true in art and the corporate/fake, but in my eyes both are intensely personal, albeit in completely different ways.
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #52
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
If someone likes Lady Gaga or PSY, just because they are mainstream, then so be it.
But what is the liking which is going on, is it forcing themselves to like it and therefore not truthfully enjoying it, or genuinely liking something simply because of its popularity? If it's for social reasons and making yourself like it so you can fit in with the crowd, fair enough, but you're wasting your efforts if you don't actually enjoy it as a personal preference.

I think a lot of people will simply say they like certain things more than they actually do in an attempt to be more in the know, and be seen higher in a social situation. (this is however a very slim and naive way to be seen higher up in a group IMO)

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #53
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
Here's something about my experience listening to music that might be relevant: sometimes I don't want to spend my day ~brooding~ in some dark cafe about existentialism. Sometimes I just want to get crunk and bang with some Ke$ha. And I think that's just as valid a human experience as the former.

There's often a false distinction made between the real/true in art and the corporate/fake, but in my eyes both are intensely personal, albeit in completely different ways.
you are a wonderful person
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #54
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
If you like something because it is mainstream/popular, that's not.
You aren't going to convince anybody to change their ways. This is just a rant, there really isn't anything to discuss.

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.
FissionMailed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #55
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark View Post
It means they appeal to the lowest common denominator gamer to reel in the number of sales they need to make the massive production and marketing cost economical. They're not necessarily bad, but they're generic, and most people consider things "better" that are more tailor made for them.
Absolutely 100% perfect post. Glad to see at least a few people get it.

And, Spenner, you're on the right track. I'm very much like you in that I like some things which are mainstream and some things which aren't, but I never like something just because it is/isn't mainstream. That said, I don't like the mainstream process.

Cavernio, also very good points.

To people bringing up MLP, two points I'd like to make
1) I never claimed I didn't like any mainstream things ... but ...
2) I'd argue the MLP fandom isn't mainstream but a quite large niche. Learn the difference between broad knowledge that something exists and broad acceptance. If it raises eyebrows among average folks, it's definitely not mainstream. This isn't to say that it couldn't become mainstream at some point (anything can).

That said, as before, there is some amount of subjectivity to what is/isn't mainstream or when/if something crosses that line.

dAnceguy117, obviously it is relevant because only some of the posters seem to understand. It's far from unanimous.

Reincarnate, please explain how it is "arrogant hipster" to not only be okay with people liking mainstream things, but to like some mainstream things myself? As far as I know, a hipster is defined as someone who hates things solely because they are mainstream and I never once held that position. Rather I view the mainstream process as detrimental to artistic vision. I might not like the process, but that doesn't mean I hate all things that pass through it.

To recap:
There's nothing wrong with liking mainstream things but the mainstream process itself hinders the full potential of all. Hence if something is mainstream and good it likely could have been a lot better if it were allowed full artistic/creator/etc vision, which would have likely resulted in a less mainstream (but truer to artistic/creator/etc vision) product.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #56
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

I can see where you're going with that.

Also, MLP being mainstream is another debate, doho. I mean it certainly has reached the point in which it's largely known and popular. Who's to say it's not mainstream already?

By your definition, you're saying it's not because of people not accepting it. Are you saying this solely because of the Internet response to the franchise? I don't know about you, but I believe it's quite the opposite. If it wasn't being accepted, why would they keep on making new content for the franchise?

I can't really provide more evidence than that though, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #57
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
I can see where you're going with that.

Also, MLP being mainstream is another debate, doho. I mean it certainly has reached the point in which it's largely known and popular. Who's to say it's not mainstream already?

By your definition, you're saying it's not because of people not accepting it. Are you saying this solely because of the Internet response to the franchise? I don't know about you, but I believe it's quite the opposite. If it wasn't being accepted, why would they keep on making new content for the franchise?

I can't really provide more evidence than that though, heh.
Well again, mainstream-ness of <anything> is always debatable. There is no definitive point at which something crosses that line and it's somewhat subjective.

Even if you take the MLP fandom to be mainstream, still I never claimed I didn't like things just because they happened to be mainstream.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #58
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
But what is the liking which is going on, is it forcing themselves to like it and therefore not truthfully enjoying it, or genuinely liking something simply because of its popularity? If it's for social reasons and making yourself like it so you can fit in with the crowd, fair enough, but you're wasting your efforts if you don't actually enjoy it as a personal preference.

I think a lot of people will simply say they like certain things more than they actually do in an attempt to be more in the know, and be seen higher in a social situation. (this is however a very slim and naive way to be seen higher up in a group IMO)
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. In my opinion, I disagree with the mentality of liking something just to fit in the crowd and not entirely for the qualities that something have.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #59
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

people like stuff
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #60
04im
FFR Player

would you be surprised if i told you living on less than $10 a day was mainstream in this world, you know, about 80%