Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania

Old 02-18-2017, 01:50 AM   #1
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P
Default Livestream idea - Pack marathons!

So, I recently got into twitch, livestreaming my everyday stepmania sessions. I love it. I love being able to showcase my play, because it brings me back to where rhythm games gave me this sense of community that I love. I also watch other speedruns, and while some people are casual, most are competitive. The problem this brings with stepmania is this is more of a showcasing type of game, and not anything more marathon based like most speedruns are. SO! Here's an idea I thought up of:

STEPMANIA SIMFILE PACK MARATHONS!

So, lets start with the legendary and ancient KBMP. How a pack run would work is the player would play every song one time, and if they reset, they would have to start from the very first song in the pack. You play every one of those songs, and you tally up your total percentage points. Let's assume there's about 50 songs in that pack, and the player averaged a 95% score on every song. 95 x 50 = 4,750. That would be the players personal best.

It's a more casual variant that Stepmania could be opened to, and more players would gravitate to a more casual setting, rather than trying to outspeed the fastest players.

What do you guys think? Would you guys be on board for this?
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
James May
FFR Player

Default Re: Livestream idea - Pack marathons!

I'm on board with this c:

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

I think you have to take into consideration fatigue and boredom - 50 songs at an average of 2 minutes each is easily 2 hours of stepmania

Potentially setting up a "best of" selection of like 10 songs in a pack or something would work better potentially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
I think you have to take into consideration fatigue and boredom - 50 songs at an average of 2 minutes each is easily 2 hours of stepmania

Potentially setting up a "best of" selection of like 10 songs in a pack or something would work better potentially?
Mhm, and then there's the issue of packs that have like 100+ songs like VGMP4, Yolo4, ODI3 so most likely a top 10 would work better.

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Lol just made dans out of each pack, take like the 5 most difficult/most varied and interesting songs and make them into a marathon.

I think that'd be fun.
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post

There are many people on twitch that can live stream for WAY longer

I think ~3 hours is relatively manageable
Old 02-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

The only thing is, I don't know anything about software programming, and idk how to convert a split application into a more tally-based one
Old 02-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

This idea is actually pretty cool!

It is possible to do 5+ hours in one sitting but you WILL feel like utter crap mentally if not your hands give in before that. I recently cut my sessions from 3.5 - 5 to 2 - 3 hours and I feel a LOT less tired after + it leaves me energy to play other games with friends afterwards instead of laying down on the couch feeling almost hungover.

Last edited by Staiain; 02-18-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Staiain: Any chance of attempting the Pledge on stream? XD

(really old file from the DWI days back in 2001/2002 -- one of the first (ridiculous) dumpfiles)

Last edited by Reincarnate; 02-18-2017 at 02:20 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

i back this idea. but yoshl's right, and it could definitely get boring after a bit. imo, livestreaming isn't as important as just getting videos, even if its just clips from livestreams. i personally have watched more and searched more for recorded videos than live streams. but i dunno, i'm kind of out of the loop with twitch and the gaming community in general.

just an idea, but i think it'd be pretty cool to have a collection of individual simfile videos (or pack video playlists) in one place. like have a youtube channel with videos sorted by pack.

i d k, might poop out some more ideas in the future - been meaning to do stepmania live streaming but lost momentum there

edit:

another thought. stepmania is definitely a "showcasing" kind of game, and for some reason what got me super into it was watching people's videos and geeking out over keytaps. the sound is satisfying as fuck. not sure if there's been a term coined for this, but i love when players insert keytaps between pauses. it's more technically impressive to watch as well, to see a player's actual sense of rhythm. i think izzy did it alot in his youtube videos from way back, playing index. was fucking cool imo

i mean, there are definitely people who are really into keyboard sounds, like ASMR stuff. and a huge mechanical keyboard community. so uh... yea that's somethin to think about

Last edited by sunn0glasses; 02-24-2017 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: pretty stoned rn sry
sunn0glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #11
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunn0glasses View Post
another thought. stepmania is definitely a "showcasing" kind of game, and for some reason what got me super into it was watching people's videos and geeking out over keytaps. the sound is satisfying as fuck. not sure if there's been a term coined for this, but i love when players insert keytaps between pauses. it's more technically impressive to watch as well, to see a player's actual sense of rhythm. i think izzy did it alot in his youtube videos from way back, playing index. was fucking cool imo
i believe it is called ghost tapping or something like that. idk, i remember it being brought up in the SGDQ showcase though.

Quote:
i mean, there are definitely people who are really into keyboard sounds, like ASMR stuff. and a huge mechanical keyboard community. so uh... yea that's somethin to think about
i can see it now, people start making stepmania videos but WITHOUT the music! It'll become a great big trend that will last like a month or something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post

storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:45 AM   #12
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

staiain why are people hyping your dick on youtube
Snapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #13
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

i think, when i read the op it sounded like you were doing your best to come up with a scenario that brings more people into stepmania - 5 hour pack marathons i dont think are too friendly

expanding on the best of pack courses idea, it could be more expansive, and have multiple courses to cover the entire pack e.g. a 50 song pack could have like, 5 unique sets of 10, or 2 sets of 17 and a set of 16 or whatever, and give people a choice in either tackling individual sets, ot the full pack set. also tbh, with an order to the songs instead of an arbitrary selection order, you can actually plan your route, how hard you have to go in on certain songs, and when you need to seriously conserve

just rambling atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote