Old 07-4-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Default Is it worth it?

I have been having mixed feelings about whether to go to University this year as I have just gradded. I don't know whether to take a year off and work then go, or go to my first year right away.

It's really bugging me, so I'd like to know your guys' opinions on this... Which is better?
Old 07-4-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar
Default Re: Is it worth it?

it's unfortunate that most universities don't really prepare you hands on for what you're going into. Trade schools/techs are good for that, but as the name implies they're for trades.

It's also dumb that most employers have made it a criteria for hiring people. Some people could learn how to do a job after two weeks while someone with a degree in that field could barely do it. I sorta feel like that about my current job.
Old 07-4-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

only go to college if you know what you're going to do with your education. only take out student loans if you know how you're going to pay them.

it's as simple as that.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

If you decide to work don't take on something that requires a commitment unless you plan on working while you school
Old 07-4-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldentron View Post
only go to college if you know what you're going to do with your education. only take out student loans if you know how you're going to pay them.

it's as simple as that.
In all honesty, I echo this advice.

But college is a huge opportunity cost if you forgo it, and yet on the other hand, it can be a huge monetary cost to choose the wrong one. It's one of those things where you have to really plan ahead to get the most out of it, nowadays, unless you want to graduate with a ton of loans for a degree you have little use for.

I think you should go to college, but be smart about it. Don't go into massive debt unless you're going into a profession with decent salaries that can offer you a return on your investment.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I started taking classes immediately after finishing high school. all I've heard about this issue from other people is not to get complacent and put off returning to school because it sounds boring. basically just decide on a plan from the get-go and make sure you stick to it. working for a year makes a lotta sense to me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
It's also dumb that most employers have made it a criteria for hiring people. Some people could learn how to do a job after two weeks while someone with a degree in that field could barely do it. I sorta feel like that about my current job.
agreed p. much. the value of post-secondary education varies by profession. it just sucks that anyone who's really suited for a certain job could be kept out for a dumb reason - failing an irrelevant general education class, being unable to afford climbing tuition costs, or any number of problems someone might face - when a quick interview would have clearly shown the person to be a desirable employee.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

ive been passed up on some jobs that i was hella qualified for just because someone with less work experience but has a piece of paper also applied. ~_~
Old 07-4-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
ive been passed up on some jobs that i was hella qualified for just because someone with less work experience but has a piece of paper also applied. ~_~
This is the exact reason I'm going to Uni. I'm going to be a Geologist and most; if not all, of the jobs I have looked require a degree in it. I may do my first year or two then go do a year a work, then return. Who knows.
Old 07-4-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thhour View Post
This is the exact reason I'm going to Uni. I'm going to be a Geologist and most; if not all, of the jobs I have looked require a degree in it. I may do my first year or two then go do a year a work, then return. Who knows.
As others have said go into it only if you know what you want to do and know how you can pay off any student debt you'll encounter if you have to get into any. I really don't understand why people go to University and have no idea what they're going to do in life. Honestly, depending on the industry or line of work, University might be the totally wrong route. Find out what you want to do, then figure out what you have to accomplish to get there. Don't get somewhere you don't want to go. If you want to be a geologist, this is the route you should go but if you're unsure and really don't even know an awful lot about geology, it would be worth it to educate yourself on it and think if this is something you wouldn't mind possibly dedicating a lot of your life to.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

schools should focus on targeting students' aptitudes and general interest so they can go in that field more specifically in high school before going into college.
Old 07-4-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

I had this same question, and Im most likely taking the next year off to continue working.
Old 07-4-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

I'm planning to take a year off next year after I graduate. In my opinion, it really depends on the person. Some people should go straight through and some shouldn't. But it's really up to you in the end.
Cold Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

Just go. Figure out what you're going to go and do it. So many of my friends took a "year" off, and have never stepped on a college campus years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

I didn't do this (I went straight for the university degree) but I would recommend taking the next year as just a regular job/employment or whatever (assuming you have something lined up), and then the next year after that, enter university and get that degree. The reasoning is if you go get your degree and graduate, you'll be in a crappy situation of not having "work experience", yet if you have the work experience but not the degree you could be in an equally crappy situation.

So basically, take a year to get some "work experience" and then get your degree (ideally while still working part-time, if possible) so you'll have both.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
Xiz
TWG Chaos

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

The hardest thing is to get back once you get out. I mean if you do not have a job offer once you get out, absolutely go back. Just my opinion

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
I took three years off to struggle with depression after losing my full ride more or less broke me. In retrospect, 14 credits over 4 classes fresh out of high school without some kind of intervention from the student assistance office was NOT A GOOD IDEA, especially considering I needed such help just to stay above water before.

I've always been vocal about the idea that I'm gonna get my degree first so I'll have a fighting chance in the job market. Also, community colleges that let you pay by credit hour. Marvelous things. (Hmm...no previous work experience hurting just as much as no degree? Damn you Ungh.)

In the end, though, only you can answer whether you want to work or study first. Some employers will even subsidize your education if you decide to do both, I hear.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2012, 01:19 AM   #17
Xiz
TWG Chaos

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
Some employers will even subsidize your education if you decide to do both, I hear.
True dat. That's what im doing right now.

But its hard, i dont have a lot of free time anymore to balance it all xD

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

I have decided to tough it out for my first year... It's gonna be hard but, I'm going to finish school with zero outstanding debts... I'll have enough after this summer to pay for my whole first year with roughly 1.5 grand left over (this is including books/rent/food). Plus there is 6 months to work for summers so I can easily make 20-25 grand there.

After my first year I'll decide what I want to do.
Old 07-5-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Sounds like a good idea. Btw 25thhour, it's ideal to get a degree, because it's more or less a prerequisite for many geology jobs in Alberta. Also, it's recommended you take the courses necessary to fulfill the requirements to join APEGA, which many geology-related jobs here are looking for. Ever since completing my degree, I've been a geologist-in-training (GIT) at APEGA. However, there are expensive annual dues, like with all memberships... ._.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote