Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk

View Poll Results: Should Raw Scoring be used to calculate Grandtotal?
Yes, Grandtotal/credits earned should be determined by Raw Scoring. 34 42.50%
No, Grandtotal/credits earned should continue to be determined by Combo Scoring. 46 57.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-4-2015, 01:58 AM   #1
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Should Raw Scoring be used to calculate Grandtotal?

June edit: Thank you everyone for your feedback. The Grandtotal scoring system will continue to be calculated using Combo Scoring. This is still subject to change, so any additional updates will be announced on the front page.

Raw Scoring is now the default scoring system across all engines. However, Combo Scoring still plays an important role here on FFR. Your Grandtotal and credits earned after playing a song are determined by Combo Scoring.

For those in favor of phasing out Combo Scoring completely, I would propose the following model: The Grandtotal of a “AAA” score divided by its Raw Score is 31. Therefore, multiplying your final Raw Score by 31 would generate your new Grandtotal.

What Grandtotal model should FFR use in the future? We will use your feedback to determine which model is best for the future of FFR. Our decision will be announced and take effect on June 1st.

Code:
Current “Combo Scoring” Grandtotal Model:
(Max Combo x 1000) + ( Perfect x 550 ) + ( Good x 275 ) + ( Average x 55 ) - ( Miss x 310 ) - ( Boo x 20 )

Proposed “Raw Scoring” Grandtotal Model:
31 x ( Perfect x 50 ) + ( Good x 25 ) + ( Average x 5 ) - ( Miss x 10 ) - ( Boo x 5 )

Last edited by PrawnSkunk; 06-3-2015 at 04:01 PM..
Old 05-4-2015, 02:32 AM   #2
FF_rules
FF Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Should Raw Scoring be used to calculate Grandtotal?

I see no real flaws here, the only downside would be for people trying to get credits via combo scoring (full combo low PA). Not bothering to do the math here; what happens when you compare a score with variable Good/Average full combo in both scoring methods. Does the formula fluctuate at different points? (in a comparison of similar scores)

Last edited by FF_rules; 05-4-2015 at 02:43 AM..
Old 05-4-2015, 02:43 AM   #3
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

I believe that grand total could be accumulated as explained in the op, however I think that credits should be combo locked. Combo and credits are both pretty much irrespective of skill, and it would be nice to keep a "bonus" for having high combos.
Old 05-4-2015, 04:25 AM   #4
HeZe
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to HeZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
I believe that grand total could be accumulated as explained in the op, however I think that credits should be combo locked. Combo and credits are both pretty much irrespective of skill, and it would be nice to keep a "bonus" for having high combos.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Your strengths and weaknesses may never change, but they will still get better as you do, albeit disproportionately of course. You're bad at jumpstream, so just play jumpstream files. Play them for hours. Play ones you have to struggle to SDG, and play ones hard enough to make your hands and arms burn. Then play them some more. Then, the day after the next, play them again. If you aren't already doing this, you can't say you're stuck. Plateauing doesn't really exist, if you aren't improving it means you haven't put in the effort needed to improve, or your effort has been misapplied. It's more of a problem at really high levels, but never totally concrete.
Old 05-4-2015, 05:09 AM   #5
HikamitheSoulReaper
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to HikamitheSoulReaper Send a message via Skype™ to HikamitheSoulReaper

combo for the credits and raw scoring for the grandtotal...
Old 05-4-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Is it easier to rack up points using the proposed raw scoting formula ? Because I have the impression that it would be harder to get 500 million/1 billion per day. I could be wrong.

Also, yes, credits should definitely be calculated with combo scoring.
Old 05-4-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
XCV
has nice tits
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
Is it easier to rack up points using the proposed raw scoting formula ? Because I have the impression that it would be harder to get 500 million/1 billion per day. I could be wrong.
Multiplying raw score by 31 effectively gives you the old score with a full combo. So, yes.
Old 05-4-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
ThunderFlip
={<>=The Hero of Time=>
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
With some rough calculations here: The average quad mash on VS Boss Battle would probably go from something like 1.1-1.2m with combo scoring down to 900-950k (did a few test runs and calculated the raw total score). That brings the required time spent from ~14-15 hrs to ~17-19 hrs... which I think would make it much more difficult than previously, considering the amount of leeway time you are cutting. You'd have to really focus on PA the entire time or you'd just have to go for longer and take less breaks, either of which are a lot of strain after you've already been going for that long. Still quite possible, just a lot more of a pain in the butt.

Last edited by ThunderFlip; 05-4-2015 at 10:47 AM..
Old 05-4-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

With combo not affecting GT gained, wouldn't vROFL then give an unjustifiably high amount of GT/time with little effort?
Old 05-4-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

There are way too many people on this site (myself included) that pride themselves by reaching certain grand total score milestones. To get that wiped out would be a total disgrace. What's the point of this transition? All other ranking is already done by raw score. Total score can't be obliterated since it is used to determine credit payouts, so it's not a matter of some agenda to get rid of total score altogether. I think you just hate us gamewhores.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 05-4-2015 at 10:54 AM..
Old 05-4-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post

There are way too many people on this site (myself included) that pride themselves by reaching certain grand total score milestones. To get that wiped out would be a total disgrace. What's the point of this transition? All other ranking is already done by raw score. Total score can't be obliterated since it is used to determine credit payouts, so it's not a matter of some agenda to get rid of total score altogether. I think you just hate us gamewhores.
Hakulyte would probably be happy and quit at the same time as he is literally only 5 points away from 100 billion.

Personally, keep GT/Credits with Combo Scoring while score recording and tournaments stay based off of Raw Scoring. Just a little observation as I was gone for a few days, I know that this is a question/poll that is nearly important to FFR's future, but I agree with Rushy.

Old 05-4-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Deidara837
For a New Beginning
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Also, how would it be possible to convert current GTs to raw scoring GTs? As far as I can tell each profile's GT is composed of a sum of thousands of plays, much of which the only thing being recorded is the combo score that's added to the GT. I'm doubtful that one could take a profile and run a decomposition of every song an account has played and convert each song to raw scoring GT and re-sum them.

I'd be in favor of keeping combo for GT and credits as otherwise there's just about no meaning behind a FC, which makes that whole stat bar kind of pointless. If you've got a better non-FC raw score there's not really an incentive to FC except to get rid of that 2.4g *ahem* that miss.

_9th OT: D2 - 13th Place
10th OT: D5 - 45th Place
11th OT: D6 - 12th Place

EMG Rivalry | EMG Spreadsheet

Last edited by Deidara837; 05-4-2015 at 11:08 AM..
Old 05-4-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
lurker
ur worst nitemare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post

There are way too many people on this site (myself included) that pride themselves by reaching certain grand total score milestones. To get that wiped out would be a total disgrace.
this isn't mentioned so i assume it's not part of the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidara837 View Post
Also, how would it be possible to convert current GTs to raw scoring GTs?
this isn't mentioned so i assume it's not part of the plan

i still voted no because making it harder to accumulate GT on near-perfect scores is kinda lame
Old 05-4-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Grandtotal can still be based off of the combo scoring formula for all I care, but credits definitely should be based off of raw score imo.
Old 05-4-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Thinking about it, I do think that raw scoring is a better calculation method BUT at the current state, switching to raw scoring would cause a devaluation of past grandtotals. It's been clear that increasing your grandtotal does not require skill but is simply a measure of your activity level. (which combo scoring is able to calculate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidara837 View Post
Also, how would it be possible to convert current GTs to raw scoring GTs? As far as I can tell each profile's GT is composed of a sum of thousands of plays, much of which the only thing being recorded is the combo score that's added to the GT. I'm doubtful that one could take a profile and run a decomposition of every song an account has played and convert each song to raw scoring GT and re-sum them.
This is not possible since individual scores are not recorded (only your best is saved and the song total is being added to your grandtotal). Even with vague approximations, we could end up with huge differences depending of the style of each player.

Last edited by noname219; 05-4-2015 at 11:59 AM..
Old 05-4-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

I don't think we should switch the grandtotal over unless there's basically an even grandtotal in the end. This is basically impossible though because breaking your combo would reduce your grandtotal score in the end by a lot, while raw scoring would only do it a little. It would be too much of a change for those that farm GT.

I have a suggestion (although probably not a great one), but we could add raw grandtotal as an additional individual stat starting at 0.
Old 05-4-2015, 12:51 PM   #17
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I vote no.
Old 05-4-2015, 01:04 PM   #18
Red Blaster
Bridge Burner
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
hey great contribution to the thread cucklord the exit's up in the top right of your screen, it's called "log out"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
what's a milky christmas :O
Old 05-4-2015, 01:15 PM   #19
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I have an idea : if possible, implement both scoring models and let the system chose the best score every time (to add to the grandtotal).

Last edited by noname219; 05-4-2015 at 01:26 PM..
Old 05-4-2015, 01:24 PM   #20
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

would pretty much void the value of a full combo. Aside from the raw score benefits on the higher-accuracy level

Last edited by rushyrulz; 05-4-2015 at 01:25 PM..
Closed Thread