Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology

Old 01-4-2021, 05:50 PM   #21
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default upgrade keyboard?

if you want to play ffr hardcore/competively..
you need to buy a cheap thin keyed, usb keyboard, that has a good clock rate.
or, if you're using a stock computer
you need to focus on hitting the keys lightly, while maintaining speed and accuracy, because if you're hitting the keys really hard, it WILL damage the wiring in your hardware (NOT GOOD)
at difficulties of 50 or less, anything is OK. nothing is really giving you an edge over anything else, but higher than that... you need to consider using external USB keyboards, and tapping lightly with thin keys to increase your performance and not damage your board.
Old 01-4-2021, 08:34 PM   #22
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: upgrade keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
you need to focus on hitting the keys lightly, while maintaining speed and accuracy, because if you're hitting the keys really hard, it WILL damage the wiring in your hardware (NOT GOOD)
at difficulties of 50 or less, anything is OK. nothing is really giving you an edge over anything else, but higher than that... you need to consider using external USB keyboards, and tapping lightly with thin keys to increase your performance and not damage your board.
Your highest AAA is a 34, and an SDG on a 55. You have zero idea what you're talking about, and even then, what you're saying is fairly false.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2021, 09:15 PM   #23
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
You have zero idea what you're talking about, and even then, what you're saying is fairly false.
you [x] see me XelNeeb
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2021, 09:55 PM   #24
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
how cheap are we talkin, what kb's do you have in mind o.o I'm game!

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 01-4-2021 at 09:55 PM..
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2021, 11:37 PM   #25
Guitarman93
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Do I need to upgrade my keyboard?

I haven't played actively on FFR since the last Tourney. Since then, I have upgraded to a Roccat Soura, I haven't done much testing with it playing FFR.
Guitarman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-5-2021, 12:18 AM   #26
CammyGoesRawr
nocturnal girl (〜✘﹏✘)〜
FFR Veteran

To be fully honest, i would focus more on building your fundamentals and skills up more before upgrading. The KB doesn't make the player, that's a common misconception for people to fall into.

You can totally get much better than where you are with what you consider to be a shitty keyboard, just gotta put in the work

CammyGoesRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-5-2021, 12:34 AM   #27
Guitarman93
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammyGoesRawr View Post
To be fully honest, i would focus more on building your fundamentals and skills up more before upgrading. The KB doesn't make the player, that's a common misconception for people to fall into.

You can totally get much better than where you are with what you consider to be a shitty keyboard, just gotta put in the work
1. I kind of summed up that I have an upgrade in my post prior to this. I'm no longer inquiring about a new keyboard.

2. I'm not asking for advice on how to improve my current skill-level.

3. I'm slowly been improving, I placed Top 8 in Division 1 in the last two Official Tournaments.

4. I never said that the K200 Classic was a "Shitty" keyboard. PLEASE, don't put words in my mouth.

5. If you looked at my streaks of concurrent gameplay when I was most recently active(Before and up to the last Official Tournament), you'd see that I was playing for multiple hours DAILY.

6. I assumed this was a dead thread until someone bumped it, recently.
Old 01-5-2021, 12:35 AM   #28
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
how cheap are we talkin, what kb's do you have in mind o.o I'm game!
i dunno, since i just use old laptops to play, carefully, and they still break eventually on the hard songs.. but i would recommend external keyboards to save you from that fate, and not destroy a laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by CammyGoesRawr View Post
To be fully honest, i would focus more on building your fundamentals and skills up more before upgrading.
yes. play all songs up until difficulty 60, to the best of your ability. then you would consider optimizing your keyboard 'loadout'
and i know a lot of y'all don't like it, but thin keys are gonna be better than thick for this game.
die-hard players also should consider switching their spreads sometimes, from ASDF to ZXCV, or QWOP to DFJK, or RTYU to CVBN, whatever the case may be, to deter the degredation of the input wires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman93 View Post
I assumed this was a dead thread until someone bumped it, recently.
Still got some life left. over-analyzing little nuances of this simple game is what we do.

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 01-5-2021 at 12:52 AM..
Old 01-5-2021, 12:44 AM   #29
Guitarman93
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Again, thought this was a dead thread. I'm not looking for advice on FFR, nor am I currently seeking advice on keyboards. I'm glad to help others that are now currently interested in this topic. For future posts, let's not bash each other about Personal Scores or give advice unless asked for. It comes across as condescending.
Old 01-5-2021, 08:44 AM   #30
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

This thread has been beaten to death. Time for it to die.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 01-5-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-5-2021, 12:01 PM   #31
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Mech keyboard allowed me to AAA jack files like Club/Aim Anthem more easily. Actuation also gave me a bit more control, but speedwise it's mostly up to yourself.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-5-2021, 09:38 PM   #32
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman93 View Post
For future posts, let's not bash each other about Personal Scores or give advice unless asked for. It comes across as condescending.
I'm going to operate under the assumption you aimed this at me, since name-dropping is probably out of your repertoire.

Yeah it's condescending, everything he said is absolutely false, and using his scores to support that he has no idea what type of recommendations to give is the correct course to take as it supports my statement that as someone with significantly better scores and achievements, I actually have a fair idea what I'd be talking about if I'd offered any advice other than "his take is bad."
Old 01-5-2021, 10:04 PM   #33
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

everyyone's opinions are valid Xel. it's just a thread man.
just be nice for once and chip in your advice, opinions, thoughts, et cetera so we can be happy.
there are some really heated, kinda funny flamewars going on in other places
not in this keyboard advice article though
Old 01-5-2021, 10:22 PM   #34
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
everyone's opinions are valid Xel. it's just a thread man.
You're entitled to your opinion and posting it.

As am I.

My opinion, is that you're literally unqualified to have an opinion worth caring about, and I cited a strong reason as to why anyone who reads your post on this updated thread, should disregard you completely. Not to make any mention of past interactions with anyone on this site, I don't even need to go that far.

Or that not how a discussion works?
Old 01-6-2021, 03:53 AM   #35
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I agree with some of Travis_Flesher's points and want to add that you should also make sure to hit light so you don't cause your keyboard to move and slide around while you play, which will make your accuracy worse as your hands aren't used to the positioning. Also I have a FC on a 107.

Let's be respectful of other people's opinions though in future posts. Not gonna name any names.

Last edited by ilikexd; 01-6-2021 at 03:54 AM..
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2021, 08:29 AM   #36
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion and posting it.

As am I.

My opinion, is that you're literally unqualified to have an opinion worth caring about, and I cited a strong reason as to why anyone who reads your post on this updated thread, should disregard you completely. Not to make any mention of past interactions with anyone on this site, I don't even need to go that far.

Or that not how a discussion works?
A discussion works when people can exchange ideas with each other while respecting others' opinions. You don't have to agree with someone but you can disagree respectfully.

Perhaps if you showed some tact in your interactions with others, people would be more receptive to your opinions.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2021, 09:23 AM   #37
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Let's be respectful of other people's opinions though in future posts. Not gonna name any names.
I know you did this ironically, but actually as a side tangent entirely, what would be the point of not naming names when it's very clear who you're referring to? It sort of makes what you did here a bit moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
A discussion works when people can exchange ideas with each other while respecting others' opinions. You don't have to agree with someone but you can disagree respectfully.

Perhaps if you showed some tact in your interactions with others, people would be more receptive to your opinions.
Oh, really? I had no clue.

But to be serious for a moment - if you think for a microsecond I don't know how I'm coming off, you're really poorly mistaken. You can disagree with my tact and optics all you'd like. Prove me wrong. I know you can't.

Equally, I said he was entitled to his opinion. I respected his ability to have one. I just know it's wrong and misinformed, and he's literally not qualified to recommend a keyboard for a game of this type given his skill level, he hasn't even escaped the basics of the game.

So thank you for respecting my opinions, and ability to post them however I wish. I could well do without the lecture, thanks. But I guess if we're going to lecture others here, some advice for you from me?

Pick a better hill to die on. Or use the report button, we have one you know. Little pro-tip from me I suppose.
Old 01-6-2021, 09:45 AM   #38
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
So thank you for respecting my opinions, and ability to post them however I wish.
Actually I don't respect your opinions and it's because of the way you carry yourself in a conversation. Respect is earned and having the respect of others helps immensely when you are trying to prove a point.

I'm not sure who's deciding to die on what hill here but it seems to me like you're very bent on the notion of "I'll do me." That's fine, but cooperating with other people is going to be awful hard for you!
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2021, 10:19 AM   #39
trumaestro
I don't get no respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
make sure to hit light so you don't cause your keyboard to move and slide around while you play, which will make your accuracy worse as your hands aren't used to the positioning.
I smash keys and my keyboard sliding around was a problem for me. My solution has been to use a chunk of rubber-like shelf liner underneath my keyboard. Same trick for a cutting board.
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2021, 10:25 AM   #40
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Actually I don't respect your opinions and it's because of the way you carry yourself in a conversation. Respect is earned and having the respect of others helps immensely when you are trying to prove a point.

I'm not sure who's deciding to die on what hill here but it seems to me like you're very bent on the notion of "I'll do me." That's fine, but cooperating with other people is going to be awful hard for you!
You don't need the respect of others to prove a point, you need to have a well defined stance and evidence. Both of which I have. If you think anything else, I hope you never land yourself in a position where your ability to make choices is paramount to the success of anyone else.

You are choosing to die on a hill here, which hill is up to you. You've had to double down. If you respond with anything, it's a triple down. My stance hasn't moved once. You're actually arguing with a brick wall here.

Also, I think your statement about my ability to cooperate with others is mere speculation at best, and I guess I'll just inform you that it's pretty inaccurate.