Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #61
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Super Revival Pack 2015 released, download links inside!

In theory FFR holds its files to a pretty high standard. Batches are supposed to be highly critical and the files are supposed to be iterated upon based on the feedback (again, in theory). As long as the file meets some level of technical accuracy and appropriateness for the engine, the stepauthor can choose to step the file as they feel would be the most "fun," using the judges' exhaustive technical suggestions to improve the file as they see fit.

In contrast, when it comes to a community pack like this judged by one person, I'm just expecting to have fun, listen to cool music, get some scores I'm happy with, and have a good time.

I could definitely tear nearly all the files in this pack a new asshole technically (my own file included, holy shit I made some PR errors) if I bothered to but there's no point. The files are fun and new and cool and I liked playing them.

It's less a question of establishing and enforcing some normative stepping ideology than it is a question of giving the right level of critical insight for the situation.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 07-23-2015 at 06:33 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #62
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
the only thing that makes an ffr chart not generic is color theory
there's hardly a way to distinguish authors from one another outside of song choice and color usage
there are over a thousand charts on ffr, and very few of them are noteworthy
lol...

if anything, color theory is one of the most overused things in FFR, and is what would make a chart generic compared to the rest instead of it being well-done in its structure
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #63
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Also Should you watch Boku no Pico was very funny and if you are the kind of sad person who is so ~super serial~ that you think that's not a good enough reason to put a file in a pack you need to reevaluate why you play games

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #64
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
In theory FFR holds its files to a pretty high standard. Batches are supposed to be highly critical and the files are supposed to be iterated upon based on the feedback (again, in theory). As long as the file meets some level of technical accuracy and appropriateness for the engine, the stepauthor can choose to step the file as they feel would be the most "fun," using the judges' exhaustive technical suggestions to improve the file as they see fit.

In contrast, when it comes to a community pack like this judged by one person, I'm just expecting to have fun, listen to cool music, get some scores I'm happy with, and have a good time.

I could definitely tear nearly all the files in this pack a new asshole technically (my own file included, holy shit I made some PR errors) if I bothered to but there's no point. The files are fun and new and cool and I liked playing them.

It's less a question of establishing and enforcing some normative stepping ideology than it is a question of giving the right level of critical insight for the situation.
yep, considering the structure and premise of the pack, i was not disappointed at all

i think it would be an error to conflate the idea behind this pack with the "technical supremacy" idea you're referring to, and then to be let down by how much you enjoyed it, if that is what you're doing mina
Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #65
Skwid1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Skwid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
yep, considering the structure and premise of the pack, i was not disappointed at all

i think it would be an error to conflate the idea behind this pack with the "technical supremacy" idea you're referring to, and then to be let down by how much you enjoyed it, if that is what you're doing mina
i'm pretty sure what mina was referring to was the fact that a good chunk of the files play like they weren't actually playtested or looked at at any stage of the judging process. it seemed like people cared too much about technical accuracy or PR or other retarded shit and prioritized it over making interesting files that are actually fun to play.

like really...someone seriously looked at the retarded burst patterns and "that" right hand trill of Rotten Heresy And Chocolate and thought to themselves "yeah....yeah this is acceptable. this makes sense given the difficulty of the rest of the file and isn't an unjustifiable, retarded difficulty spike that ruins the file at all!" i don't mean to pick on just that file because there are other instances of stupid shit like that occurring (see: all of the holdspam and other retarded burst transitions/patterns throughout the pack) but that one sticks out to me as the most blatant.

there's "i expected these files to be technical masterpieces" (not what's happening) and then there's "i expected these files to actually be examined for 5 minutes for any obvious outliers in patterning or nps, like in Rotten Heresy or Emil's Sacrifice." (what is actually happening)

overall, most of the issues i personally had with the pack were with files that seemed like they were made by people that don't actually play the game and could have very easily been fixed. i don't actually think the pack was even that bad by my standards, since it had like 8 files i'd actually replay regularly and that's about par for the course when it comes to pack replayability for me.
Skwid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #66
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'm not going to lie, I find it kind of funny over just one thing I said, people are somewhat starting to get butt hurt. Opinions differ from person to person. I wasn't expecting a top notch pack, so I wasn't going in with deadly high expectations. I was expecting to have fun with files that are fun to me. Just because I think its justifiable doesn't mean others will. Matter of opinion.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #67
Skwid1
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by baq12 View Post
I'm not going to lie, I find it kind of funny over just one thing I said, people are somewhat starting to get butt hurt. Opinions differ from person to person. I wasn't expecting a top notch pack, so I wasn't going in with deadly high expectations. I was expecting to have fun with files that are fun to me. Just because I think its justifiable doesn't mean others will. Matter of opinion.
cute. did you actually read anything or are you just assuming everyone is fighting over your opinion? your opinion sparked the most recent discussion, but is not the sole reason people are arguing.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #68
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwid1 View Post
it seemed like people cared too much about technical accuracy or PR or other retarded shit and prioritized it over making interesting files that are actually fun to play.
i really really REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like to see this dichotomy of "technical accuracy/pr vs fun"

it doesn't exist

there are no charts that are fun without being accurate--having fun playing a chart is because what you're playing somehow matches what you're hearing, regardlesss of what technique(s) used

and people's charts (generally) don't fail to be fun because "they tried too hard to be technical"

what is actually happening is that

1. the song choice isn't interesting, or should have been cut
2. the most prominent or interesting aspects of music weren't followed (this is the opposite of being accurate/technical)
3. the difficulty is unevenly or poorly spread (and again, i would contend that this is a form of not being accurate/technical as you will want to match intense sound with intense steps and vice versa, but only within relativity to each other within the chart, so anything that stands out as unjustified or a big spike would fail to do that)
Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #69
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwid1 View Post
cute. did you actually read anything or are you just assuming everyone is fighting over your opinion? your opinion sparked the most recent discussion, but is not the sole reason people are arguing.
Oh I have been reading, and from one part of what I said, it sparked something, and the fact that this what you call discussion, which is more Mina somewhat over inflating Stargroup's opinion on what he feels about how stepping should be, which is perfectly acceptable to be able to express, and it just sparked the discussion of just both sides of the argument. The language that Mina used portrayed it as somewhat butt hurt. And your language and attitude is somewhat supporting it. It's not making you look good by doing so, so be more civilized about it.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #70
intensez
FFR Player

on a side note...

if you wanted to help judge i put in my initial post that you could help judge. ANYONE at any time could of said they'd like to judge. for the record i played every submission at least three times before putting it in the pack. but its a fifty fucking four file pack, if you wanted to find those outliers you could of jumped into the pilot seat since i specifically put in my initial post that if you wanted to help judge i'd be more than happy to send you the username and password to get started. i even had the guidelines like that because i was expecting the community to help out.

i wasn't intending this to be "ferrari's pack" i was expecting more like "hey guys, lets name a pack, get some judges together, and make something fun" but it seems as though everyone had the wrong interpretation of that. i have a differing opinion on what was fun/not fun, and if you wanted to insert your opinion too you could have at any time. also lets not forget that i mentioned in my post that i would refuse to go into the editor and fix your file if it had misc errors that i'd mention

i'll admit that i was overwhelmed by submission counts and i should have been less forgiving about poor segments in files. back to what i said though i was just expecting to put something together that's fun and holds some replay value in order to stir interest, and it did.. the initial pack post has like 10+ pages and this one is already at 4. but you want to act like stepmania is alive and DIDN'T need any packs? sweet man, tell that to the last "real" pack started and never finished back in june fucking 2014 by macgravel which btw he hasn't been online in months. ODI3 was the last thing to come out of the community that was great: a skype chat specifically set up for making files and talking to each other about shit, getting constructive criticism from each other, and other crap like that. that's what makes it fun to do things like this: community interest to make something for everyone to play

if the community doesn't want to contribute their best to a pack it'll turn out mediocre like you said; i'm not the type of stepper/judge to flat out reject something because of such outliers. that's something i would expect you to fix if it came down to it.. plus this would of been easily fixable if more people than just myself were looking at files

like i said in the last bit of my initial post, this is probably the last thing i do with FFR so if you don't like it that's perfectly fine
intensez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #71
Fantasticone
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

So should I watch Boku no Pico or not?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #72
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

yes, definitely
10/plot
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #73
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensez View Post
you want to act like stepmania is alive and DIDN'T need any packs? sweet man, tell that to the last "real" pack started and never finished back in june fucking 2014 by macgravel which btw he hasn't been online in months.
?
...?
......?

! Pack
! Release Date (YYYY/MM/DD)
! Type
|-
| ATTang's Dumpmix
| 2014-08-14
| 4-key (Dumps)
|-
| Cranked Pastry
| 2014-08-08
| Pad
|-
| Valoriginals
| 2014-07-28
| 4-key
|-
| Yolomania Vol. 3
| 2014-07-26
| 4-key

|-
| Shadormix
| 2014-07-16
| 4-key (Dumps)
|-
| Untitled Stepmania Pack
| 2014-07-10
| 4-key

|-
| Crossover Spectrum Part II
| 2014-07-06
| Pad
|-
| Valex's Magical 4-Arrow Adventure 6
| 2014-06-29
| Pad
|-
| Vocaloid: Project Pad Pack 3rd
| 2014-06-29
| Pad
|-
| Mina Minimegapack 4
| 2014-06-26
| 4-key (Dumps)

|-
| Nuclear Blast JS Awesome Bomb Filez 5
| 2014-06-16
| 4-key

|-
| Cosmic Toast
| 2014-06-08
| Pad
|-
| Torrent Originals
| 2014-05-20
| 4-key
|-
| VocaJawnz
| 2014-05-14
| Pad
|-
| Otaku's Dream 10th Anime Mix
| 2014-05-12
| 4-key
|-
| I Am Chris 4
| 2014-05-10
| Pad
|-
| Mute Sims 9
| 2014-05-07
| Pad
|-
| Human X Promotion
| 2014-05-07
| 4-key (Dumps)
|-
| Tyler's Insanely Terrific Simfiles 2
| 2014-04-16
| Pad
|-
| Yolo Dumps 1
| 2014-04-06
| 4-key (Dumps)

|-
| Stepping Stones of Stepmania
| 2014-03-30
| 4-key

|-
| Stepmix Dump Resteps
| 2014-03-16
| 4-key (Dumps)
|-
| Aoreo's Index Jawn
| 2014-03-15
| 4-key/Pad

|-
| Sexuality Violation 2
| 2014-02-14
| Pad
|-
| Ultramarathon Gigapack
| 2014-02-13
| 4-key
|-
| Bunch of Files You Probably Don't Have Volume 3
| 2014-02-10
| 4-key

|-
| Cringefest 2013
| 2014-01-28
| 4-key (Dumps)
|-
| Cirque du Lykan
| 2014-01-06
| Pad

|-
| Dumbstream 4
| 2014-01-05
| 4-key (Dumps)

|-
| Gpop's Pack of Original Pad Simfiles
| 2014-01-02
| Pad
|-
| You're Streaming Even More
| 2014-01-01
| Pad
|-
| You're Streaming Again
| 2014-01-01
| Pad
|-
| Tachyon Epsilon
| 2013-12-26
| Pad

|-
| Yolomania Vol. 2
| 2013-12-25
| Pad

|-
| Beast Aoreo BEAST! 4
| 2013-12-20
| Pad
|-
| Cirque du Zonda
| 2013-12-12
| Pad
|-
| D.O.W.N.S. 4
| 2013-11-13
| Pad
|-
| Mute Sims Rejects
| 2013-11-06
| Pad
|-
| ForeveR21
| 2013-11-01
| Pad
|-
| SHARPNELSTREAMZ v2
| 2013-10-31
| Pad

|-
| Crossover Spectrum Part I
| 2013-11-02
| Pad
|-
| Fraxtil's Arrow Arrangements
| 2013-10-01
| Pad
|-
| Aoreo's Atrocities
| 2013-10-31
| Pad
|-
| Wister Megapack - Plug and Beast
| 2013-10-28
| Pad
|-
| FFR Community Pack Novice Files Compilation
| 2013-10-24
| 4-key (★)

|-
| Oh Henry! Mad Stamina
| 2013-10-17
| Pad

|-
| Stepmania Paradise Reborn Vol. 1
| 2013-10-14
| 4-key/Pad (★)
|-
| Dream in Streams
| 2013-09-14
| Pad
|-
| The X-Mod Project
| 2013-09-13
| 4-key
|-
| Yolomania Vol. 1
| 2013-09-11
| 4-key

|-
| Hardpain of Hell
| 2013-09-07
| 4-key (Dumps)
|-
| Solo Japan Pack 2
| 2013-09-02
| 6-key (★)

|-
| Valex's Magical 4-Arrow Adventure 5
| 2013-09-01
| Pad
|-
| Arrows Are Magic: Volume 2
| 2013-08-15
| Pad
|-
| Amperage
| 2013-08-07
| Pad
|-
| Vocamania Community Pack Spring 2013
| 2013-07-19
| 4-key/Pad (★)
|-
| Mute Sims 8
| 2013-07-12
| Pad
|-
| ChaosUnown's Break Soul
| 2013-07-05
| Pad
|-
| SPEEEDCOOOORE 3
| 2013-07-04
| Pad

|-
| Acid Intravenous
| 2013-06-21
| Pad
|-
| Speedcore Rejects
| 2013-06-18
| Pad
|-
| Tachyon Spectrum
| 2013-06-11
| Pad

|-
| Touhou Gensouyou ~ Illusionary Dance Fantasy
| 2013-06-11
| Pad
|-
| Vocaloid: Project Pad Pack II
| 2013-06-11
| Pad
|-
| Beastiality Violation
| 2013-06-03
| Pad
|-
| Makina Marathon
| 2013-06-03
| Pad
|-
| Vocaloid Collaboration Project 12
| 2013-06-03
| 4-key/Pad (★)
|-
| ODIPack 3
| 2013-05-27
| 4-key

Courtesy of http://www.staiain.net/StepMania/smw...p/Pack_Archive
Highlighted all the packs that I consistently see people posting scores on and playing in general (that includes pad packs that are played on spread/index as well)
This isn't even fully up to date with anything released in 2015 such as Skwid's Minipack, Dump Parade, Keyboardsmash Phase 1: Legacy (lol) and this pack (lol)

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks

Last edited by rCaliberGX; 07-23-2015 at 09:22 PM..
rCaliberGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #74
Skwid1
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i really really REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like to see this dichotomy of "technical accuracy/pr vs fun"

it doesn't exist

there are no charts that are fun without being accurate--having fun playing a chart is because what you're playing somehow matches what you're hearing, regardlesss of what technique(s) used

and people's charts (generally) don't fail to be fun because "they tried too hard to be technical"

what is actually happening is that

1. the song choice isn't interesting, or should have been cut
2. the most prominent or interesting aspects of music weren't followed (this is the opposite of being accurate/technical)
3. the difficulty is unevenly or poorly spread (and again, i would contend that this is a form of not being accurate/technical as you will want to match intense sound with intense steps and vice versa, but only within relativity to each other within the chart, so anything that stands out as unjustified or a big spike would fail to do that)
i pretty much agree with everything you've said, but i think #3 is what there is confusion about since i see it a little differently. to me, someone realizing that a section would be a massive difficulty spike if charted for pure technicality/PR and changing it to be more friendly would be a sacrifice of accuracy in favor of fun. i guess we just have a different definition of accuracy. it wasn't my intention to create a dichotomy, sry bud.

also i didn't mean to shit on the entire pack or whatever (again, i don't think it's terrible), but i just think it's weird that people seem to be hiding behind "haha i had fun tho!" when someone points out an obvious issue, even if the expectations weren't high. although, to be fair, the pack probably shouldn't have the pretense of "reviving stepmania" if it wasn't meant to be taken seriously (:^
Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #75
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

Quote:
but you want to act like stepmania is alive and DIDN'T need any packs? sweet man, tell that to the last "real" pack started and never finished back in june fucking 2014 by macgravel which btw he hasn't been online in months.
your definition of "real" must be fucking hilarious
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #76
intensez
FFR Player

Lol this community is such a joke

Seriously it's just a huge funnel of blame. You can let other people organize your packs for you while you continue to blame them for the pack's inadequacies. I didn't have to spend all that fucking time playing your files, I could of went afk like a majority of packs do nowadays LOL stepping stones only got released because I got a hold of ji (which BTW stopped posting bc of arrogant people like you), put together that pack with what I could and who I could connect with, tried getting "up to date" sms from people, just to once again be told the pack isn't "notable" and get bashed for poor organization or somethkng retarded

If you want to believe that there's nothing wrong there that's k keep circle jerking with what you have left because eventually no one will give one shit whether or not there's a wafle file floating around because the OSU train will rain strong

Last edited by intensez; 07-23-2015 at 10:03 PM..
Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #77
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

lol osu
Walrusizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #78
intensez
FFR Player

Lol osu

Last edited by intensez; 07-23-2015 at 10:08 PM..
Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #79
-Tim-
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via Skype™ to -Tim-

did someone say osu
-Tim- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #80
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

Quote:
Lol this community is such a joke

Seriously it's just a huge funnel of blame. You can let other people organize your packs for you while you continue to blame them for the pack's inadequacies. I didn't have to spend all that fucking time playing your files, I could of went afk like a majority of packs do nowadays LOL stepping stones only got released because I got a hold of ji (which BTW stopped posting bc of arrogant people like you), put together that pack with what I could and who I could connect with, tried getting "up to date" sms from people, just to once again be told the pack isn't "notable" and get bashed for poor organization or somethkng retarded

If you want to believe that there's nothing wrong there that's k keep circle jerking with what you have left because eventually no one will give one shit whether or not there's a wafle file floating around because the OSU train will rain strong
Why are my files even part of this conversation? I submitted only one file to this pack.

But ferari you can't just come in here and say there haven't been any real packs since macgravel's VGMP thing and not expect some push back on that. By all means you can clarify what you meant by "real", but seriously, come on, you're not the only one who tried to put a pack together recently, and you're not the only one who managed to release one either.

Last edited by Wafles; 07-23-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote