Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #121
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: World of Warcraft

I guess, but that 100+++ Burning Citadel makes me very uneasy that this person is predicting that Sargeras will be a killable mob.

That should just never ever be allowed to happen as long as player's characters are actually mortals. Level 100 or not.

Also, Sir Psycho, why'd you blank out your name? All you did was make me curious, and go find it. Now I know your terrible secret MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Last edited by devonin; 01-21-2009 at 11:38 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #122
Sir Psycho
FFR Player

I have nothing to hide, except for annoying tells from people I don't want tells from
Sir Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #123
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Hey i've posted my char name a bunch and i've yet to recieve a tell from FFR

Also if sargeras was a killable mob i predict a huge event with the players receiving tons of help.
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #124
Sir Psycho
FFR Player

I wish there were more fights that were like Illidan before he was nerfed.

You know, the 33 minutes fight going through the soft enrage he does after 17 minutes.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:30 AM   #125
Kagome
Pop'n Music.
Retired Staff

Send a message via AIM to Kagome Send a message via MSN to Kagome

Am I the only one that thinks proto drakes are really ugly?
Kagome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #126
Grandiagod
FFR Player

No some chick in my guild remarked on it as well. I personally love the hell out of them. So huge and fierce looking. But I do admit their flying animation is a bit wonky.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #127
Sir Psycho
FFR Player

I think there needs to be more long-ass boss fights. 7 minute fights are cool and all, but I want a boss fight that literally needs to be 45 minutes long with a good chance to screw up at minute 40 and have to do it all over again. And make it a phase-fest like Kael'Thas or Lady Vashj. And make it like Archimonde if one person screws up, yhulothar wipe.

And bring back 40 mans =(
Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #128
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho View Post
I think there needs to be more long-ass boss fights. 7 minute fights are cool and all, but I want a boss fight that literally needs to be 45 minutes long with a good chance to screw up at minute 40 and have to do it all over again. And make it a phase-fest like Kael'Thas or Lady Vashj. And make it like Archimonde if one person screws up, yhulothar wipe.
This will never ever happen. Oh thank god. I can't think of anything that sounds less fun.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #129
Sir Psycho
FFR Player

I just happen to like a challenge where you must execute everything almost perfectly. Otherwise it just becomes a slight set back when all you have to do is kite the boss around the room, stack resistance or avoid/interrupt a certain spell. Or even just a DPS race... I hate DPS race boss fights.

Yay I push out 6k dps standing still!!! How much do you do when you ahve to move every now and then? Uh... 2.8k

Last edited by Sir Psycho; 01-22-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #130
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

I think there's no justification for a long boss fight. If something is so hardy and powerful that 20 people wailing on them for 20 minutes can't kill them, they simply shouldn't be able to kill them. The only counter example I could think of would be like, some sort of earth-type elemental where his hitpoints could justifiably be wildly out of proportion to his offensive capabilities.

Basically: If something is powerful enough to go a half an hour 1 on 20, it's powerful enough to just rip all 20 people to shreds. 10 minutes at the most please.

That said, as long as they keep on with the new (and awesome) system of having both a 10- and 20-man version of raids, with similarly but still scaling meaningfully good loot (With cross-difficulty set bonuses [awesome again]) I'd have no fundamental problem with adding a 40-man version onto the end of that sequence.

As for Sargeras, the difference in power level between Sargeras and even a 100-man raid should be so substantial that the "help" would basically have to completely overshadow and outperform the PCs as to make the PCs useless.

If they even got around to assigning him a hitpoint total (Which suggests that he could actually be killed by sufficient application of pointy objects [which he probably shoudln't]) I'd be wanting to start it in the billions.

Any time players get to start killing what are essentially Gods, regardless of the means they have to use to do so, the game just stops being interesting and starts being a munchkin fest.

What I'd -rather- see them do, would be put out a 90 and 100 expansion, call it Emerald Dream and something to do with the Burning Legion again, and then stop. Develop a Warcraft 4 to go with a World of Warcraft II, move it ahead a bunch of years into the future, and work the lore of player accomplishments in WoW into the "backstory" of the new game.

Edit!

Quote:
I just happen to like a challenge where you must execute everything almost perfectly.
Position and Strategy fights are fantastic, and there's nothing at all wrong with them. The problem is they can't ALL be that way. There needs to be some DPS races, there needs to be some tank'n'spanks just to appeal to the various preferences the playerbase has.

I like fights with strategy plenty. When Kara is actually a hard fight for your 10-man, Morose and Shade are great examples of fights where you need, in the case of Morose, to think critically about what to do with the adds, when, in which order, and in Shade, to keep on top of what's going on because if you're out of position at any time, you're going to just wipe and possibly wipe everyone.

But sometimes it's just not thematic or appropriate. Sometimes the big Ogre King boss just has a big frigging axe and you have to beat him to death before he chops you in two. There's nothing wrong with that either.

Last edited by devonin; 01-22-2009 at 01:47 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #131
Gun92
The Paragon of Perfection
FFR Veteran

Just went through MC with 14 people. I wish I could have gotten into this game back when there was no expansions and what not, these old world raids are fun.
Gun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #132
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

You've still got plenty of runs through MC before you're exalted with the Hydraxian Waterlords. You'll get sick of it eventually.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #133
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I used to run molten core when it came out a few years ago. I never got exalted but i did get 5/8 of my rogue set.

Also i started again two days ago. I am level 67 on my dark knight. I started it on a new server for that brief period when they allowed that. Lucky me. Ill hit 80 in no time.

Then start my rogue again. Which i am going to make a 60 twink. Already have most of the gear.

Last edited by Izzy; 01-22-2009 at 04:00 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #134
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Which i am going to make a 60 twink. Already have most of the gear.
I'm sure that 60 will rape everyone in the 60-69 category.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #135
Izzy
Snek

Only alteric valley =/ I guess i didn't mention that.

51-60 category.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #136
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Oh right, the one where individual abilities matter the least.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #137
Izzy
Snek

I am only out to have a good time. I am not getting that serious this time around. =/

I will try my hardest to stick to that >_>

the last 60 twink rogue i had, had 6k hp and 1200 atp. was so awesome getting 4-5k mutilates with 2 grand marshal daggers.

Last edited by Izzy; 01-22-2009 at 10:52 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #138
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Any time players get to start killing what are essentially Gods, regardless of the means they have to use to do so, the game just stops being interesting and starts being a munchkin fest.
did you miss the whole c'thun being a god thing

because now apparently a group of five to ten chumps can kill him

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #139
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Old Gods are different than Titans by quite a bit. Old Gods are "Gods" by the warcraft definition of immortality (not invulnerability, they just never die) and having worshipers. In fact the Lich King is the same genre of god C'thun is. (He's worshiped as a Death God by several races) The Old Gods are referred to by the Titans as parasites that corrupted Azeroth, but they ingrained themselves so tightly into the world that their removal would destroy Azeroth so the Titans locked them up underground when they reshaped Azeroth.

Titans are invulnerable to magic and physical attacks and to *most* magical weapons (I remember a case of where a legendary magic weapon hurt Sargeras once but I'm too lazy to Wowwiki it).
Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #140
Izzy
Snek

55-68 in three days. They really made this easy.