Old 01-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691
Default 2015 September/October Set 3 (Complete)

Live Forever - Farewell Disaster
Paralysis - Terminal11
Shanghai Teahouse - S.S.H.
The Basement Community - The Flashbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

Last edited by psychoangel691; 01-29-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Old 02-2-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor
Default Re: 2015 September/October Set 3

for all intents and purposes I didn't look at who stepped what file before reviewing it. no need to bias myself lmao

1/10 - Reject

I can tell you tried, so that's worth a point. However, a large majority of the notes here don't go to any sounds in the song, the overall difficulty is inconsistent, and there are a huge number of sections that seem to be ctrl+r stepped.
Specifics:
-the 16th stream starting around m10 goes to absolutely nothing in the song
-going from stepping just the instruments to just the vocals around m24, even for an easy file, is never a good idea
-furthermore with m24, and all subsequent notes set to vocals, they're... not really accurate. at all.
-the section at m30 seems like you used ctrl+r to place. The whole bit's out of sync and those gallops don't go to anything
-the weird 24th stuff around m113 shouldn't be there
-i'll be honest i had to quit out

Definitely keep trying, definitely keep at it, I believe in you, but for the time being this has absolutely no place in FFR or really anywhere other than your own My Creations folder.

3/10 - Reject

There's potential with this. I mean there's serious potential. But in its current state this file is a complete mess. I'll jump right into some specifics

-This is gonna sound more general than specific, but it happens so much in the file it'd be useless for me to point it out since it'd take a really long time to point out every single instance of it: 90% of what you have stepped as hands, shouldn't be stepped as hands. about 50% of what you have stepped as jumps shouldn't be jumps. Go back and look at all of your jumps/hands again. all of them
-starting around m11 with the 32nd bursts: a couple of those I get (synced to the vocals descending in pitch), but again, the large majority of the 32nd bursts in this file have absolutely no place being there. especially around m34
-m64 (and all the other times it shows up): why did you decide not to step the bass kicks as drums here? on a layering standpoint it makes absolutely no sense. Please don't just randomly drop jumps unless there's a reason, in the song, to do so. It makes playing awkward
-m67 (and all the other times it shows up): those color notes don't go to anything. Furthermore, i'm pretty sure what is there is your standard 16ths. Go look at this part again
-m121: orange note 16th rolls don't go to anything
-m127: that burst doesn't go to anything
-Finally, and this is a bit nitpicky, but it seems like half this file was copy/pasted. You can do a little better than that! Have some variety in those patterns! keep the player interested! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bored out of my mind the whole time I played this.

The file's on sync, you have the basis for a solid file here, but as it stands this needs an absolute complete overhaul. Go back, slow the song down, look at everything you have and see if it really belongs there. Hell, get ddream if you have to.

6.5/10 - Conditional

I'm slapping condition on this solely because I have some questions about the jumps/drum layering in the whole song, but more specifically the beginning. Again, and I'm gonna keep saying this, I can't give you full criticism on jump layering without being able to slow the song down, but some things stood out as not sounding necessary while I was playing.

THAT SAID

holy fucking shit. I was not feeling this file until the bass solo. Everything after the bass solo was so, so much fun. you even managed to avoid my biggest pet peeve in rock files: layering drums during a guitar solo. you didn't do that! I'm so fucking happy about that! god i had so much fun with the second half of this file. it's what really saved it for me. god god god it was so fun.

biggest complaint past the jumps: the song fading out at the end like that. was that your decision or did the song just do that? if it was your decision I recommend uh, not doing that. but that's just me. either way, a quick once over and this file would rule.

8/10 - Pass

Something I didn't think I'd ever be saying about a Flashbulb file in the year 2016: this file rules. flow is great, the bpm jump at the end works great, honestly this is a really solid file, benn jordan ripping off squarepusher notwithstanding. loved the jump usage, loved the layering, loved the patterns.

however

i understand the stray color notes starting around m24 go to the guitar being slightly off beat. that's how jazz works. but some instances of this (m36, m38, the one 32nd note in m40, m42, the [1][2][34][2][1] pattern in m45, m102), the patterns you used them in are not only hard to read in playback, but honestly just kinda bullshit. Not questioning the use of them, that's hard for me to say, but the patterns you used them in are just unnecessarily hard to read/hit.
(also the 24th jump gallops around m29 don't seem to fit there? again, limitations of reviewing in ffr lol)

i also highly question the jumps set to the guitar starting around m124. Personal preference but it'd flow better without the jumps. Kind of an "outro to the file" type deal, yknow?

Other than that, stellar file. Can't believe I'm saying that about a Flashbulb file in this day and age, but man. Stellar. check out those patterns and we good
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
Old 02-3-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Xtreme2252
Jumpstreams Suck
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Xtreme2252 Send a message via MSN to Xtreme2252 Send a message via Yahoo to Xtreme2252 Send a message via Skype™ to Xtreme2252

Live Forever - Farewell Disaster
1/10
Difficulty: 15-30
This is comparable to an early chart I would have made, so a lot of mistakes here are ones that I made as well. In general, there's BPM issues in the song, the syncing is off.

First step should be fixing your bpms and moving your notes to the correct spots to compensate. Once this is corrected, it will be easier to chart the notes where they should be. Bpm should be judged usually on the drums, where each measure is often in 4/4 time, meaning you can count out the beats as 1-2-3-4, or for faster patterns 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and. Most bpm changes, aside from subtle ones, happen precisely at a measure, and at distinct portions of songs, like maybe the chorus, verse, or bridge, so if these parts feel like they go out of sync, you'll want to check them out. I always play it back once I get it close in 0.25x-0.5x rate to get the drum notes matching the beats of the measures.

m4-10

There is a contant BPM here of 94bpm for these measures, which will make these jumps all line up at the start of a measure, and give you an easier time of charting the echo if you so choose. It's the intro, so it's fine if you keep it simple.

m10

The bass pedal notes don't match up to the bass pedal here. I'd advise you to set your rate down to 50% so you can hear just where the notes should fall. If it's all sloppy, then that means your bpm needs to be adjusted. It sounds like this part is 94bpm as well though, same with the section that follows.

m11-22

I don't hear enough sounds to justify the streams. From what I hear from the song, it sounds like the crunchier guitar sounds should be jumps, and the other notes should be single notes, and that those notes are charted slow as they feel they go out of sync in the 4 jump successions.

m26-27

The way this looks and plays leads me to believe the bpm was charted to the vocals instead of the rhythm instruments. If there's going to be any notes that need to be made ugly to fit in the chart, it would likely be the vocals. Also, many notes in these sections are quite off.

m30-31

These grace notes I feel are unjustified as these are just simple guitar chords, and also they come in significantly delayed from the sound in the song they represent.

m113-114

This is very overcharted. You might want to play this back more slowly if you believe there's lots of notes there, maybe at 0.25x rate. That usually makes it obvious if sounds are being overcompensated or overstepped.

m126
This jump runningman is quite the spike at the end, considering how easy the file is (or should be, with the way it's generally been charted). It would be more acceptable if it was on 3-4 than 1-4.

Paralysis - Terminal11
3.5/10
Difficulty: 47-50
The chart felt on sync and most of the charting felt like it flowed nicely, but there were a few things that were quite jarring.

Some of the hands near the intro sound no more intense than the jumps. Though later in the song they do seem to be charted to a louder sound, in which case I would think its use there is appropriate.

These jumpjacks are definitely the trickiest thing in the chart, but it really sounds like the green note there should be a single note, and this goes for every instance of these jumpjacks in the song.

These final notes don't sound fully representative of the slide. I would suggest slowing the rate to 0.25x and charting the timing of four key sounds in it with whatever kind of notes you'd have to use to get them perfect...If they're 192nd notes, then so be it.

I felt the song was a little on the long side, considering how repetitive it was for majority of the song. I thing cutting parts would help the file.

Shanghai Teahouse - S.S.H.
6/10
Difficulty: 67-71
I was actually really liking this chart from the start, and I felt most of the charting was appropriate, but there were jump-to-hand bursts in which I think those jumps should be single-note minijacks on the off-note of the following hand, as there are bass kicks elsewhere that are charted this way instead of jumpjacks.

As much as I refrain from cutting songs, I feel if the outro is going to be so intense, that the earlier easier parts of the song need to be trimmed for people to get to the intense part quicker, especially considering how chokeable it is as is.

I don't think quads belong in this song.

I really do like the guitar solo section, though it sounded like at a couple of parts there was a jack charted when there were two distinct pitches in the guitar notes. Also, same thing with the jumps into hands that I said earlier.

Lot of potential in this song and the chart, but I think things need to be tweaked to make it exceptional.

The Basement Community - The Flashbulb
8/10
Difficulty: 61-63
Wow! I really liked playing this. All of these files seemed around this length, but this one seemed like the only one that was justified in being this length do its diverse range of patterns and sounds, and consistent difficulty. There's only one quad, and jumps and hands are used tastefully, and the chart is genuinely fun to play and there's no obscenely awkward layering anywhere. The only really questionable thing I found was a hand into a stream, and even that's not really unacceptable in and of itself.

Last edited by Xtreme2252; 02-3-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
HeZe
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to HeZe

2/10 - REJECT

After the first set of jumps, everything is off sync. A little advice for you, if 99% of your steps are solidly a certain difficulty range, don't put massive skill peaks there. (People will hate them, especially when the song is this long, and especially when they are by the end.) I'm talking about this jumpjack at M126 and this trill-pattern at M87-M88. If you will want to fix this, I suggest that you start all over and put a lot of effort to syncing the song right.

Diff 40

2/10 - REJECT

The entire song is off sync and seriously overlayered. There is serious jump and hand abuse, and the placement is arbitrary.

Diff 56

6.5/10 - REJECT?

Generally an ok file with way too many jump issues.
- M10 I understand the jumps here but you have too many
- M17-M18 this 23,23,134 is too harsh. How about 23,23,14 instead? This happens again at M28
- M18 forwards and all around: the jump and hand usage is a bit random. FOR EXAMPLE: in M38 you have this 23,12,3,1,4,(23). This 23 in brackets should be a hand if the previous bash sounds are hands.
- M36 this should not be a quad. Remove all quads
- M42-M44 these bursts are too intense
- M44-M59 this is the best part of the stepfile and the soloish thing is generally enjoyable to play.
-M59 too intense series of jumps and hands
-M67 pattern is overlayered with jumps.
-M80-M84 this is a massive skill peak and I'd recommend you to do something about that. Too many jumps again.

Diff 75

8/10 - PASS

What a dumpy file! But isn't it a beautiful dump. If FFR songs had tags, this would have icyworld written in there. What I didn't like was that the song got so damn hard in the end without an apparent change in the music, but ok.

Diff 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Your strengths and weaknesses may never change, but they will still get better as you do, albeit disproportionately of course. You're bad at jumpstream, so just play jumpstream files. Play them for hours. Play ones you have to struggle to SDG, and play ones hard enough to make your hands and arms burn. Then play them some more. Then, the day after the next, play them again. If you aren't already doing this, you can't say you're stuck. Plateauing doesn't really exist, if you aren't improving it means you haven't put in the effort needed to improve, or your effort has been misapplied. It's more of a problem at really high levels, but never totally concrete.

Last edited by HeZe; 06-16-2016 at 06:44 AM..
Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Gradiant finished the primary judge task for September/October 2015 Set 3. The notes can be seen below; this thread is being moved over to Completed Sets and the results/notes will be updated in the September/October 2015 thread. This batch period is now complete.

[1.5/10] Live Forever {Farewell Disaster} (Nitrologyy)
- No permission
- Highly recommend looking at some guides for syncing before using sm editor to step, or download ddream studio so you can use the waveform to make sure you have a proper sync. As is, as soon as the first 4 jumps are out of the way, none of the notes in the rest of the file go with the song.
- Because of the major sync problem, it’s hard to fully give notes because certain steps are shifted off of the section they belong to but I can point out some general areas that need reworking once you have a proper sync:
- 57.203: Stepping only vocals here leaves section completely empty compared to rest of file. Could add a bit more notes to more prominent percussion
- 75.537: More 16ths notes than there needs to be, some of them don’t actually go to any sounds in the song
- 82.497 (And whenever this repeats in the song): There’s no sounds here that warrant 16th note streams, they are all ghost notes
- 107.595: Same thing as 57.203
- 126.419: Same thing as 75.537
- 128.576: The 3-repeating notes to guitar chords, the guitar chord actually plays 4 times in the song
- 135.733: One-hand trills are a bit awkward to play, espcially when there’s jumps simultaneously. The jumps also aren’t going to any prominent sounds in this section
- 138.184: Same as 57.203
- 177.007: Same thing as 82.497 but this time it’s with 24th streams rather than 16ths

[4.5/10] Paralysis {Terminal 11} (Mourningfall)
- Sync is perfect
- Enjoying the song, but it’s more because it’s a chill song. T-rogdor mentioned a copy-paste feel, and I can definitely see that; not sure if that’s what you did or not, but there’s no variation in the sounds going on minus what you’ve got the two long righthand trills going to. With the song being over 3 minutes that leads to a very bland and boring file.
- There’s also the issue of how overlayered the file is, and then further inconsistencies with your chosen layering. It seems like you stepped it like this to make the file a bit more exciting but it doesn’t play well. Just gonna grab a spot in the middle to show: Sounds like 106.200s and 107.650 don’t warrant hands compared to what you have hands to in the rest of the file, and then sounds like 103.250 and 103.850s are the same as what you have had hands to but these are singles. Aside from inconsistencies like this is the point that with how quiet the song is, there’s not much in the song in terms of emphasis that would warrant hands, so majority of the jumps/hands could be toned down.
- Spots like 45.250s (and more instances throughout), I can see what the 32nds are going to, but right after 32nds going to the more prominent clicky percussion, they feel off. Spots like this could probably better be done as just a single, maybe recolor it.
- The file has structure and there’s nothing wrong at all with the sync; but with how long and very repetitive the file is along with the heavy overlayering, can’t accept it. Could really use a cut due to the song, and the hands and jumps need to be toned down a lot.

[6/10] Shanghai Teahouse {S.S.H.} (FFR Pro 21 & Silvuh)
- 56.789 - 57.659: left-hand minitrill at the end of these 16ths could match PR better, feels weird to play
- 56.572: This jump should be a single while 56.354 should be a jump
- 60.267: Missing note
- 61.137 - 73.311: Quads are a bit excessive here due to the layering here also being unnecessarily heavy
- 81.898: Actually a single
- 95.920: cymbal crashes before this stepped as just jumps, so hand here not needed
- 107.006 - 144.615: Starting with this jumptrill that should be singles based on earlier layering and going through until the end of the solo, the jump usage gets extremely messy. The start of the solo was fine because you could tell jumps were going to snare hits, but then they start getting used for guitar notes about half the time along with snare hits getting ignored about half the time. Please go through this solo section again checking for jump usage, putting jumps like that while also using hands for percussion emphasis is extremely awkward to play for what’s going on in the song.
- 144.072: Sounds these 32nds are going to are way too faint, starting the jumptrill here would work better since it also then avoids having the on-hand 32nds immediately after the jump on the same hand
- 144.615: Quad too excessive
- 139.615: 24ths actually start here
- 139.724: I know the sounds are there in this solo, but those minijacks are extremely jarring and a huge difficulty spike, even with the 32nd streams beforehand. They could easily be removed and the difficulty would still be consistent with the rest of the solo section
- 144.072: Same as 144.072
- 162.441 & 163.311: if you’re going to put jumps to the faint guitar right at the very end of the file, these two spots for snare hits could also have jumps like you’ve previously done in the file

[7/10] The Basement Community {The Flashbulb} (Pizza69)
- Good sync, kinda wished the bpm changed in sections like 69.868s though to match the meter changes in the song
- 45.515s: Misrhythm here, sound is a quintuplet if written in musical notation (5 notes), not 24ths for the full beat. Jump at 45.692 also not warranted with current layering
- 49.750: I see what you’re doing here with the guitar bending up to final pitch, but the final pitch actually happens at - 49.868, so you’re stretching it longer than what’s going on
- 86.456: Same as 45.515
- 168.155: Single, not a jump
- 170.628 - end: Jumps in outro not warranted, no differentiation in guitar playing between what’s singles or jumps here
- Check your layering throughout the file for two things: inconsistent hands (you’ve been putting hands to cymbal crashes but there’s crashes places like 26.809 that don’t have hands and then sounds with no crashes like 59.456 that with your current layering should just be a jump), and inconsistent jumps (these mostly occur with your yellow jumps, like 110.456s. In this drum fill, sound jump at 111.250 goes to happens at more yellow notes than just here and at the jumptrill at 111.691. Another example would be 132.181s). Structure and patterning are fine though, plays really smooth, just the jump usage for the snare hits in the percussion isn’t consistent.