Old 07-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Nick Skyline
Retired from VSRGs
FFR Veteran

Default so i took the time to remix a song from f zero

tell me what's going through your head when you hear it

https://soundcloud.com/nick-skyline/mute-f-zero-v1-3
VSTs: RealLPC (x3), Amplitude (x6), reFX Nexus (x4), Superior Drummer 2.0

also since when the fuck could i speed metal, someone step this for nuclear blast 5

Last edited by Nick Skyline; 07-17-2013 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: Fixed some stuff.
Nick Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
CZarkou II
POLAND
FFR Veteran

Default Re: so i took the time to remix a song from f zero

My first thought was that Staiain can AA that on 1.5

Date to remember 9/5/12 - 1st FGO AAA.(FrNev)

Also 2 FGO BF's (HALCYON,NNT) <- Whaaat?-.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
MIOTA NIM JAK SZATAN
CZarkou II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

100% honest criticism from a guy who honestly doesn't know a lot about music production:

The intro took like fucking 9 years to finish. If you hadn't mentioned metal in your post I probably honestly wouldn't have even gotten to it.

Your guitar samples are really tinny and they sound way too far in the background. Ask Zagh where he gets his, or maybe just mix it better. Consider using a more synth-y and less distorted lead (for lack of a better term... think SSH, or like this) because the melody in parts is fairly involved and it might work better with a cleaner sound.

If you are going for the speed metal sound, your bass drum blasts need to pop out in the mix way more. The ones when the guitar is not playing are okay, but the drumming is totally overshadowed by the lead guitar when it comes in.

The guitar work is the redeeming feature for me. It definitely has the potential to sound badass with better samples/mixing/whatever you music types call it. I have no idea how people make solos like that but it was definitely the high point of the song. The rhythm guitar is also in a great place. Sounds nice and fits the mix well (3:33 for example is nicely done in that regard)

The drums after 4:52 didn't sound like they matched the guitar. That part was odd to me, not sure what I don't like it, maybe it's just the shitty guitar sound getting to me or maybe there's a deeper issue.
Go ahead and hang me for this sacrilege to speed metal, but I also think this might sound better about 20 bpm slower. Especially the ending part.

I don't mean to discourage you, in fact I really want you to remaster this because it's got a ton of potential.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 07-12-2013 at 05:00 AM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
StoneMcKnuckle
FFR Player

You really need to modulate the lead more here and there, there's like no vibrato anywhere which makes it sound pretty stale, and I think you're overdoing it a little bit with the bending here. Bending downwards after an upwards bend usually sounds pretty good and provides some extra variation here and there, but you're only bending up and you're doing it like every other note which sounds crazy.

This definitely sounds pretty good tho, I know how fucking annoying it is to mix stuff like this heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Your guitar samples are really tinny and they sound way too far in the background. Ask Zagh where he gets his, or maybe just mix it better. Consider using a more synth-y and less distorted lead (for lack of a better term... think SSH, or like this) because the melody in parts is fairly involved and it might work better with a cleaner sound.
It's pretty funny that you mention his lead and then links to my Great Battleship which uses literally the exact same lead as he's using here heh.
StoneMcKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

i thought it was a pretty good remix, a lot of times the bass voice just honestly didn't work, though. like when i sat there thinking you were putting in random off-key notes, but it was just a really weird bass

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Nick Skyline
Retired from VSRGs
FFR Veteran

Yay 4 criticism. Changed file and fixed some stuff.

Also, hi19, despite not knowing much about music production (I don't, either), you did a decent job it's very tough to make solos like I did here. First, you have to know what you're doing and how to use the keyswitches properly. I'm thinking of putting in a scrape sound @ 4:50 as well...should I do it (if you're wondering, yes, I know how)?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
StoneMcKnuckle
FFR Player

I'd give some criticism as to the changes you did, but I'm not even sure what they are. hah. whatever. I'll just rant a bit about your guitar lead instead.

Keyswitches to really pay attention to with RealLPC:
Bend - mostly a timesaver, so you don't have to fucking pitch bend everywhere. Keyswitch to bend up, then pitch to bend down.
Upwards bend - metal as fuck bend good for putting everywhere
Wah - wah. good for solos and stuff, and really fun to play with. you use it exactly like you use the regular vibrato (CC#1), just hit the keyswitch and it'll play wah instead. more modulation = more wah here, so try going nuts with this at some point 'cause it's really fun to use.
Slide - good for solos and some melody articulation shit. doesn't always sound great, and you have to really adjust the slider to fit the bpm of the song you're working on, same as with bend and upwards bend.
derr mute - palm mutes are metal as fuck bye
also seriously you need to use more modulation. on extended notes I usually vibrato like fuck and when it's at max modulation I slide the note out + lower velocity on the lowest note so it sounds kinda realistic. you can do a lot of stuff with the articulations and with the vibrato modulation, so don't be afraid to mess around. also I suggest you open up the settings and remove fret and release noise 'cause it sounds like ass. leaving the pick on is useful for better attack on your stuff but otherwise not really necessary. also upping the low-end and lowering the high-end in the lpc settings will give you a fatter sound, but it also makes it sound kinda unrealistic.

there's a lot of fun to be had with this vst to be honest. it's not the best sounding one out there (shreddage and v-metal both sound way better) but it's probably the most versatile and easy to use one out there so learning it should be no problem. I suggest getting Shreddage, Shreddage X or Shreddage 2 for your rhythm guitar though, 'cause RealLPC really sucks ass for rhythm.

hope you post more stuff like this, it's fun to listen to.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
Nick Skyline
Retired from VSRGs
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneMcKnuckle View Post
I'd give some criticism as to the changes you did, but I'm not even sure what they are. hah. whatever. I'll just rant a bit about your guitar lead instead.

Keyswitches to really pay attention to with RealLPC:
Bend - mostly a timesaver, so you don't have to fucking pitch bend everywhere. Keyswitch to bend up, then pitch to bend down.
Upwards bend - metal as fuck bend good for putting everywhere
Wah - wah. good for solos and stuff, and really fun to play with. you use it exactly like you use the regular vibrato (CC#1), just hit the keyswitch and it'll play wah instead. more modulation = more wah here, so try going nuts with this at some point 'cause it's really fun to use.
Slide - good for solos and some melody articulation shit. doesn't always sound great, and you have to really adjust the slider to fit the bpm of the song you're working on, same as with bend and upwards bend.
derr mute - palm mutes are metal as fuck bye
also seriously you need to use more modulation. on extended notes I usually vibrato like fuck and when it's at max modulation I slide the note out + lower velocity on the lowest note so it sounds kinda realistic. you can do a lot of stuff with the articulations and with the vibrato modulation, so don't be afraid to mess around. also I suggest you open up the settings and remove fret and release noise 'cause it sounds like ass. leaving the pick on is useful for better attack on your stuff but otherwise not really necessary. also upping the low-end and lowering the high-end in the lpc settings will give you a fatter sound, but it also makes it sound kinda unrealistic.

there's a lot of fun to be had with this vst to be honest. it's not the best sounding one out there (shreddage and v-metal both sound way better) but it's probably the most versatile and easy to use one out there so learning it should be no problem. I suggest getting Shreddage, Shreddage X or Shreddage 2 for your rhythm guitar though, 'cause RealLPC really sucks ass for rhythm.

hope you post more stuff like this, it's fun to listen to.
Here's one notable change I put in, after reading this. I used Shreddage, for rhythm guitar (leads were kept to RealLPC), and I friggin' love it. Also, I added Wah-Wah pedals during the solo.

And when you talk about modulation, what VST are you talking about using it in?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Very very good for someone that claims they don't know much about production, nice work mann
Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
It's pretty funny that you mention his lead and then links to my Great Battleship which uses literally the exact same lead as he's using here heh.
Yeah this is why I put the "idk anything technical" caveat :P

Just sayin' my FEELINGS man, music is all about feelings~

EDIT- sounds a lot fuller now good shit.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 07-14-2013 at 04:01 AM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
StoneMcKnuckle
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Skyline View Post
And when you talk about modulation, what VST are you talking about using it in?
RealLPC. The wah wah and the vibrato works exactly the same, you just crank up CC#1 and if you have the wah keyswitch pressed you'll get wah, if you don't have any keyswitch pressed you'll get vibrato.

cen i hear the newest version now plz
Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Nick Skyline
Retired from VSRGs
FFR Veteran

Quote:
RealLPC. The wah wah and the vibrato works exactly the same, you just crank up CC#1 and if you have the wah keyswitch pressed you'll get wah, if you don't have any keyswitch pressed you'll get vibrato.

cen i hear the newest version now plz
Done.

EDIT: Tried what you did in the PM you sent me. It works.

Last edited by Nick Skyline; 07-17-2013 at 02:23 AM..