Old 10-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
lopansuperman
FFR Player

Question What's your opinion on the game?

Do you like it?

Last edited by lopansuperman; 10-29-2021 at 10:17 PM..
lopansuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:18 PM   #2
T-Force
Your world ends with you
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: What's your opinion on the game?

If I didn't like it, I wouldn't still be playing almost 15 years after I first discovered it. I've been introduced to so many great bands, songs, and people through this game and even after all these years, I'm getting scores I never dreamed possible.

Yeah, it's aight.
T-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
katanaeyegaming
#FearTheWyvern
FFR Veteran

I mean. You tell me.

This game was what got me back to rhythm gaming after a decent break from taking them serious. Sure I played stuff in the meantime but FFR brought me back.

Everyone here is great, The charts are super good and are some of the best in 4k in some cases imo.

I don't think I'm going to leave FFR anytime soon despite many times wanting to for things that have now since passed.

katanaeyegaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #4
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Even though I am a HUGE Etterna die-hard fanboy, I love FFR. I can go on and on all day about how Etterna is one of the best rhythm games, FFR was one of the first VSRG's I played back in late 2019 when I was in 6th grade, this was a year before Flash shut down so I played using the browser engine lmao. I forgot that FFR was a thing until July this year when I rediscovered it and made an account

Even though I love FFR to death, it ain't perfect AT ALL. Just to name all of the negatives I noticed since rediscovering FFR

- Major Frame-rate issues
- the boo system yeah the boo system plz abolish the boo system yes please and thank you
- There isn't that much content for high level players in their skill level (100+)
- The exact Timing Metrics are still unknown.
- Lack of Dump or Chordjack maps
- No ability to change to tighter timing windows.... in a game based on accuracy
- No in-game error bar
- Lack of support from top-players
- Game is so deep-rooted in flash that fixing these issues is nearly Impossible with the small dev team

Im probably a bit spoiled from other games, but there is A TON of positives:

- Easier to pick up than Etterna
- 0 downloads, only download is the engine itself
- Great noteskin variety (Delta White FTW)
- Great customization
- Tight knit community
- Decent scoring system
- Fun tournaments

The positives to FFR outweigh the negatives imo

Overall an 8.5/10. I will continue to enjoy and play FFR for years to come
If accuracy is not your middle name, my balls smell like lavender and honey.

Last edited by ToonE156; 10-29-2021 at 10:58 PM..
ToonE156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
CrashTheBoard
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Super fantastic community; easily the best of any VSRG, or Rhythm game, or potentially game in general I've ever played.

Some of the best files/charts I've played and the most fun.

Amazing ranking system.

Awesome tournaments, and there's a lot of flexibility with your online presence because of the forums.

The game also really heavily rewards players of all different kinds of playstyles and there's a lot of sort of "cosmetic" or "accomplishment" goals to go for which very few other rhythm games have (but should have.) IE, credit system is awesome, AAA/FC trackers, etc.

The cons are:

The UI is fairly dated;
File pool is a bit low (understandable given the written permission rule);
Noteskins aren't as customizable as they could be,
And the game seems to have some minor stability issues.

Overall, the engine leaves a bit to be desired but the community and the way the game embraces the community/the way the game ties into the FFR website make it stellar
CrashTheBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanaeyegaming View Post
Everyone here is great
Awwww, I'm flattered.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #7
WirryWoo
Forever Derbyless
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

I personally like using this game to de-stress. It feels great just smashing keys on the keyboard when you're tired and stressed and just need some avenue to release that.

Younger me enjoyed the competitive aspects of trying to get the best scores and getting as many AAAs as possible, but I'm slowly growing out of that. I play this game way too much and I can see myself losing interest in the near future.

Overall, it's alright.

WirryWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #8
katanaeyegaming
#FearTheWyvern
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
Awwww, I'm flattered.
Yea you don't exactly exist in my book

But nice try tho.

katanaeyegaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #9
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanaeyegaming View Post
Yea you don't exactly exist in my book

But nice try tho.

Anyways serious time.

FFR

2 / 10

Wait... that's not right either.

FFR for what it is, is a solid game that despite the issues with how it can run, has solid content, and a staff that genuinely gives a shit, even if it's misguided at times, or poured into obsolete nonsense.

My issues are mostly community-related, but I think the current shorter files leave a fair bit to be desired, and some files I'd have out-right rejected for being boring. I think FFR's got probably the best ranking system in all the games in like, FFR, Etterna, Sound Voltex, category. But it's clogged with things like Tier Points, and the reward systems frankly have some cleaning up left to be done, if you asked me personally. I equally think despite some personal choices, FFR has either the most solid, or second most solid base of files to play, and learn the game off of, and the accessibility to content that's easy to learn to play on is not to be understated or forgotten. There's also so many damned resources here for everyone, and it's a perfect gateway to other games if you wanted that.

FFR's still a solid 7 / 10. I'd probably put Etterna at 8.5 / 10. I'd pull a katanaey with osu.

Everyone who like, went into this part probably thought I'd be a lot more negative, but despite everything, I literally grew up on this site, and I've got some nostalgia in the tank for it. Not to mention like I said.

The staff gives a shit. They do good work.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:58 PM   #10
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

games good. has several glaring flaws that probably don't need to be re-explained for the millionth time, but it has successfully carved out and maintained a niche in the VSRG genre that no other game could really hope to match.
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:59 PM   #11
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I think FFR's got probably the best ranking system in all the games in like, FFR, Etterna, Sound Voltex, category. But it's clogged with things like Tier Points, and the reward systems frankly have some cleaning up left to be done, if you asked me personally.
I second this. I really like the Division system as it gives me an incentive to rank up, but the system for it is confusing as hell. You have the Divisions, Skill rating (this BS led me to be placed in Division freaking 3 for this years Halloweens torunament despite me being a mid D5 player) Tier Points, AAA Equivalency, Average Rank, etc. I'm not joking when I say that this is the "[insert thing here] lore" meme made into a rhythm game ranking system and it still works. Everything feels so conflicting and confusing that the FFR wiki barely does it justice imo. It's like you forced 4 students who all hate eachother to do a middle school group project, like yeah, it """works""" in the end, but it feels super conflicting

Also how tf does skill rating even work. How is my skill rating a 71, this makes no sense to me

This is just my opinion though, I'm probably gonna get blasted for this lmao

Last edited by ToonE156; 10-30-2021 at 11:01 PM..
Old 10-31-2021, 02:25 AM   #12
Deathserpent2
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 View Post
(this BS led me to be placed in Division freaking 3 for this years Halloweens torunament despite me being a mid D5 player)
The Halloween tournament is a pretty big exception, I thought there was 0 sign up from actual D1 players, so everything got shifted down. I'm in D4 in actuality in D3 in the tournament, but there are level 63s in D2.

Quote:
Tier Points, AAA Equivalency, Average Rank, etc. I'm not joking when I say that this is the "[insert thing here] lore" meme made into a rhythm game ranking system
I kinda like that it gives a bunch of different goals to work towards, if you stagnate for a bit on skill rating you can improve average rank or look for tier points, or tokens, or just FC/AAA %.

Quote:
Also how tf does skill rating even work. How is my skill rating a 71, this makes no sense to me
It is based on a weighted average of your top 15 scores' AAA equivalency. Check out your dashboard to see how that is all calculated out. Your top 5 ends up being about 75% of the total weighting of this

BEST AAA - Mysterious Desert (64)
Deathserpent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:39 PM   #13
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team

Thats a spicy take and doesn't do the matter Justice ToonE.

Quote:
You have the Divisions, Skill rating (this BS led me to be placed in Division freaking 3 for this years Halloweens torunament despite me being a mid D5 player) Tier Points, AAA Equivalency, Average Rank, etc.
Don't conflate Skill Rating divisions and tournament divisions- they're not the same thing despite their naming. In actuality you're on the lower end of the Division 5 skillratings and likely would have been placed in Division 4 with 8 divisions in play. However since there was no Division 1, the numbers just went down. I know this has been explained to you several times now. Tournament divisions work differently because those Skill rating numbers alone are not enough (and cannot be enough) to properly place people for the sake of a tournament. The goal posts move based on the people that sign up- skill rating brackets in the leaderboard do not.

Quote:
It's like you forced 4 students who all hate eachother to do a middle school group project, like yeah, it """works""" in the end, but it feels super conflicting
The systems you mentioned above are fairly modular in the sense that they don't really impact one another- Tierpoints, Average Rank, AAA Equivalency rank are all different approaches to demonstrating a player's skill level. You can choose to focus on what you want to focus on, but i don't see any manner in which they really conflict with eachother.

Quote:
How is my skill rating a 71, this makes no sense to me
Weighted average of your top 15 scores. Thats it, theres literally no nuance to it beyond that. Hence why, as stated before, its not the only factor that decides which division you are placed in for tournaments.
Old 11-1-2021, 12:36 AM   #14
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
Thats a spicy take and doesn't do the matter Justice ToonE.

Don't conflate Skill Rating divisions and tournament divisions- they're not the same thing despite their naming. In actuality you're on the lower end of the Division 5 skillratings and likely would have been placed in Division 4 with 8 divisions in play. However since there was no Division 1, the numbers just went down. I know this has been explained to you several times now. Tournament divisions work differently because those Skill rating numbers alone are not enough (and cannot be enough) to properly place people for the sake of a tournament. The goal posts move based on the people that sign up- skill rating brackets in the leaderboard do not.

The systems you mentioned above are fairly modular in the sense that they don't really impact one another- Tierpoints, Average Rank, AAA Equivalency rank are all different approaches to demonstrating a player's skill level. You can choose to focus on what you want to focus on, but i don't see any manner in which they really conflict with eachother.

Weighted average of your top 15 scores. Thats it, theres literally no nuance to it beyond that. Hence why, as stated before, its not the only factor that decides which division you are placed in for tournaments.
Yeah that's cool and all but what the heck are Tier Points and why should I care

Old 11-1-2021, 01:03 AM   #15
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team

Quote:
Yeah that's cool and all but what the heck are Tier Points and why should I care
A mostly meaningless ranking system which essentially boils down to a minigame these days. Why should you care? I dunno thats kinda up to you- theres no real reason to care about any of the rankings aside from watching numbers change over time. The game is what you make of it and participation in each various leaderboard or tournament is optional. Do what you want to do.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #16
Tantive72
Horse
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tantive72 Send a message via Yahoo to Tantive72 Send a message via Skype™ to Tantive72

I think it's aight. It cost me one destroyed keyboard but other than that it's okay. 9/10

i have a website now too:
https://codenametostr.com/

Until next time, have a happy BEAT PLAY LIFE
Tantive72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #17
sff_writer_dan
FFR Player

Quote:
Before the Skill Rating system existed, Tier Points were a way to rate higher level players against each other by giving points based on the actual specific score on the song as you got closer to AAAs.

It was a way to evaluate skill against each other when people had different skillsets, so you couldn't just go by "best AAA" and "best FC" which was largely how lower divisions were sorted before Skill Rating existed.

That's it. A system that was necessary years ago, has been broadly replaced by Skill Rating, but why remove it just because it's not used as a primary ranking metric anymore? It's another goal for people to work towards if they want to.
sff_writer_dan is offline   Reply With Quote