Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-3-2007, 04:32 PM   #21
flawofhumanity
MMM WATCHA SAY
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to flawofhumanity
Default Re: Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims

The only problem with asking people to leave is, in some cases, like at my school, We've been studying the Holocaust for a whole semester. Hell, we even went to the Holocaust museum in Austin and saw Paul Rusesabagina speak on the subject of genocide. If you don't 'believe' that the Holocaust happened, it's your right to be ignorant, but I believe that keeping the future generations from learning such a major event in History is incredulously stupid.

flawofhumanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2007, 04:45 PM   #22
fido123
FFR Player

They have so much blatant evidence that the holocaust happened that you would have to be retarded to deny it. I hate people who hide behind religion and race all the time, I kid in my school had his dad barge in during class to yell at my teacher. He sad the Sikhs won WWI, my teacher told him "no they helped in WWI, but the dad wouldn't listen then called him racist. He came in because he wrote a WWI essay and failed the essay because it was on how the Sikhs won it all alone.

Also if we make absolutely everything 100% unable to offend anybody, I bet we would even be held back in math for some gay reason and history will be "A guy named Hitler was the leader of Germany and he was in power during a war however there is reason to believe he possibly started a war." This is what happens when we try not to offend people to an extreme extent. I blame these on pussies who are to scared to say anything that infers anything incase they offend someone and the other people I blame this on are the people who are overly proud of their race.
E.g. My mom works at a library and I was there after school one day. A black girl was stealing books and she got caught. When a librarian went to ban her she was all like "this is because I'm black isn't it?" I want to kill these people.

Last edited by fido123; 04-3-2007 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Hooray...spelling fixed
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2007, 05:41 PM   #23
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

Wait, do you mean Sikhs? Because I'm pretty sure "Seek" has nothing to do with the holocaust and I think the only thing Sikhs had to do with WWI was their involvement with the Indian Air Force. I may be wrong.

and it's Hitler, with an E, not an A.

Jesus, I think we need to focus on our own educational system....

EDIT: and I just saw this, LIBRARIAN, not (I'm not even going to type what you did, because it would involve lowering myself to your level.)

2nd EDIT: HOLY GOD, LIBRARY TOO.

Seriously folks, start using the "go advanced" button, look over your posts before you post them, then have at it.

Last edited by Specforces; 04-3-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Specforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2007, 05:46 PM   #24
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specforces View Post
Wait, do you mean Sikhs? Because I'm pretty sure "Seek" has nothing to do with the holocaust and I think the only thing Sikhs had to do with WW2 was their involvement with the Indian Air Force. I may be wrong.

and it's Hitler, with an E, not an A.

Jesus, I think we need to focus on our own educational system....

EDIT: and I just saw this, LIBRARIAN, not (I'm not even going to type what you did, because it would involve lowering myself to your level.)

1. Srry bout the sekhs thing
2. WWI not WWII...India made most the ammo used.
3. I should really microsoft word my posts...Since i've started using a laptop in school my spelling has gone down immensly...srry >_<
Old 04-3-2007, 05:48 PM   #25
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

Yeah, I meant WW1, I just got confused.

It's ok, I'm not mad, just a little irritated.

Last edited by Specforces; 04-3-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Specforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2007, 05:49 PM   #26
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specforces View Post
Yeah, I meant WW1.

It's ok, I'm not mad, just a little irritated.

I know...I just really hate looking like a retard.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=60970

That is why im trying to improve lol...got burned so damn bad...second time he owned me through dragon ball Z like that lol

Last edited by fido123; 04-3-2007 at 05:53 PM..
Old 04-3-2007, 06:07 PM   #27
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Location: In front of the speakers, banging my head until I get a nosebleed.
Send a message via AIM to purebloodtexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrombean View Post
I can understand sidestepping the crusades to avoid conflict, but since when is holocaust denial something which is part of the Islam faith?

I mean, the crusades... Yeah... a conflict from a long time ago between Christians and Muslims as Christians try to take the "Holy Land". Parallells can obviously be drawn to modern times, and moreover, this specifically involved Muslims. How is the systemic murder of Jews connected to Muslims at all so that it would validate a claim of denial of it being part of their faith?

Anyway, you could teach the crusades without going into details which might offend Muslims. Simply say "Christian warriors came from Europe to fight for land in the Middle East." This is a fact. It's when one would make claims like the Europeans were heroes or were doing good is that it can be offensive (Hell, I'd be offended if anyone claimed that the crusades were a good thing... all that killing for literally no good reason).

As for teaching creationism in classes: I just have something I want to say here on this since Guido mentioned it. Creationism isn't THAT bad of a thing. As long as they don't specify things specifically from the bible, intelligent design should be fine in public schools, so long as Evolution is taught as well, and as I just said, it doesn't make specific call backs to Genesis.

ps I've only had like one history class ever that mentioned the holocaust and I've never had a class that ever even touched the crusades.
Other than a slightly different opinion on creationism, I agre with you completely.

I still find it somewhat surprising that teachers try to avoid the insulting of minority students, don't even state that one side was greater than the other, and they STILL feel that they're being insulted. I'm not saying that other students are completely ignorant, but I just can't see why it's happening.

I accept all these invasions/cruelties myself. Yes, my people were invaded in Africa, chained up, used as slaves, tortured throughout most of the 20th century, and only now do we have such freedom. Terrible, but it happened. My Indian blood was mistreated as Columbus touched American soil. They were mutilated, enslaved, and run off their land. I mean, it's a part of history.

Also, I believe it's better if I see my people's hardships rather than seeing nothing but their achievements - which, of course, is near impossible. The primary reason is not for pride in my race(s), but how the people I see and interact everyday got their piece of land.

I also wish to comment on those that deny that the Holocaust happened.

Tell us that this (Grotesque image) didn't happen. Near 6 years of starvation, torture and severe violence didn't happen, and tell that to the survivors that managed to live through Hell on Earth.

edit: OK, there's a more obvious warning now.

Last edited by purebloodtexan; 04-3-2007 at 06:29 PM..
purebloodtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2007, 06:09 PM   #28
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebloodtexan View Post
Other than a slightly different opinion on creationism, I agre with you completely.

I still find it somewhat surprising that teachers try to avoid the insulting of minority students, don't even state that one side was greater than the other, and they STILL feel that they're being insulted. I'm not saying that other students are completely ignorant, but I just can't see why it's happening.

I accept all these invasions/cruelties myself. Yes, my people were invaded in Africa, chained up, used as slaves, tortured throughout most of the 20th century, and only now do we have such freedom. Terrible, but it happened. My Indian blood was mistreated as Columbus touched American soil. They were mutilated, enslaved, and run off their land. I mean, it's a part of history.

Also, I believe it's better if I see my people's hardships rather than seeing nothing but their achievements - which, of course, is near impossible. The primary reason is not for pride in my race(s), but how the people I see and interact everyday got their piece of land.
Also if we didn’t put any hardships in history what history would there be? “O.K… so in 1887 Canada became a country. Then we slowly departed from Britain and started making our own choices. Then absolutely nothing happened until about the 1950’s.” What a fun 20th century Canadian History class would that be for the first while?

Also agree about the creationism...they should teach it as a possability.

Also thank you for the uber small warning...bigger please?
But ya saying the halocaust didn't happen would offend more people than saying it did happen. Jews and everyone who fought for it to end must really be pissed off. The govenment would rather protect a small minority than the remander of the population I guess.

Last edited by fido123; 04-3-2007 at 06:12 PM..
Old 04-3-2007, 06:26 PM   #29
akuma696
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to akuma696

I still believe there are too many feelings involved in teaching. I don't think teaching creationism is a bad idea, but in doing that you would have to teach every religions theory on it. You could spend an entire semester just on that. The problem is that no one has an open mind any more. I don't hold myself down to one religion because I believe there is a god, and every religion has a central deity, and there are no incredibly major differences between the worlds religions. It's ignorant people who believe that there religion is better and the world will not get much better with these closed minds.

Last edited by akuma696; 04-3-2007 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: can't spell.
akuma696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2007, 06:38 PM   #30
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma696 View Post
I still believe there are too many feelings involved in teaching. I don't think teaching creationism is a bad idea, but in doing that you would have to teach every religions theory on it. You could spend an entire semester just on that. The problem is that no one has an open mind any more. I don't hold myself down to one religion because I believe there is a god, and every religion has a central diety, and there are no incredibly major differences between the worlds religions. It's ignorant people who believe that there religion is better and the world will not get much better with these closed minds.
*Deity, but that aside, I agree with you.

One thing I wish some people would understand: Religious, no religion, or being a goddamn hypocrite, there's no easy way to teach a religion in class without someone else or a group of others getting pissed off. On top of that - don't mean to offend any of those devout to their religion - there might've been some religious play in there, but there's no less than 4 billion years of proof of evolution - from Earth being a volcanic hellhole, to the human race virtually dominating the planet. Most religious books haven't even had the thought of revision after thousands of years with no definite proof.

For the religiously devout, please be open-minded. Many veterans remember the now-deleted thread that Chocoholic made, and he was acting ignorant the entire time (which basically defeated the purpose of CT).

Old 04-3-2007, 06:47 PM   #31
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebloodtexan View Post
*Deity, but that aside, I agree with you.

One thing I wish some people would understand: Religious, no religion, or being a goddamn hypocrite, there's no easy way to teach a religion in class without someone else or a group of others getting pissed off. On top of that - don't mean to offend any of those devout to their religion - there might've been some religious play in there, but there's no less than 4 billion years of proof of evolution - from Earth being a volcanic hellhole, to the human race virtually dominating the planet. Most religious books haven't even had the thought of revision after thousands of years with no definite proof.

For the religiously devout, please be open-minded. Many veterans remember the now-deleted thread that Chocoholic made, and he was acting ignorant the entire time (which basically defeated the purpose of CT).

Everyone in my school (Christian School) is so freaking retarted. They think EVERYTHING in the bible is 100% exact...acts as proof...and can't be changed. The bible is not proof as anybody could have wrote what the romans wanted to hear. The bible can't be 100% exact as who would belives demons roamed the earth? Only people in anchant times. Also I believe there is a God but I am constantly changing my thoughts of how the world was created.

The one thats been with me for about 3 years now is some intellegant force (God) made the elements of the universe (Hydrogen and such) and guided them to make the universe and Earth. I think this because it is a very small chance that the essance of life was created through chance...just look at the human body. I also belive evolution was in Gods plan to make greater life forms that will adapt to there enviorment.

So yes I think people who are religous (especally Christians in my opinion) need to be much more open minded.
Old 04-3-2007, 07:03 PM   #32
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Everyone in my school (Christian School) is so freaking retarted. They think EVERYTHING in the bible is 100% exact...acts as proof...and can't be changed. The bible is not proof as anybody could have wrote what the romans wanted to hear. The bible can't be 100% exact as who would belives demons roamed the earth? Only people in anchant times. Also I believe there is a God but I am constantly changing my thoughts of how the world was created.

The one thats been with me for about 3 years now is some intellegant force (God) made the elements of the universe (Hydrogen and such) and guided them to make the universe and Earth. I think this because it is a very small chance that the essance of life was created through chance...just look at the human body. I also belive evolution was in Gods plan to make greater life forms that will adapt to there enviorment.

So yes I think people who are religous (especally Christians in my opinion) need to be much more open minded.
I've been believing that evolution and the universe's creation was God's plan as well. It isn't, however, God's plan to control the rest of the universe. I was curious as a youngling as to why disasters happened everywhere if God could supposedly stop them. So I say go for the belief in a higher calling if you want to, but don't kiss his ass 24/7.

Old 04-3-2007, 07:09 PM   #33
MeaCulpa
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MeaCulpa

Teaching creationism is fine, as long as it's done in a Theology course, NOT in a science course, as there are many reasons for which it is not compatible with science.

There is an understandable debate when it comes to creationism, but not for something like the Holocaust, so there really shouldn't be any accomodations needed when it comes to teaching it in history, since that's exactly what it is: a part of our history from which we must learn.
MeaCulpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2007, 07:20 PM   #34
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaCulpa View Post
Teaching creationism is fine, as long as it's done in a Theology course, NOT in a science course, as there are many reasons for which it is not compatible with science.

There is an understandable debate when it comes to creationism, but not for something like the Holocaust, so there really shouldn't be any accomodations needed when it comes to teaching it in history, since that's exactly what it is: a part of our history from which we must learn.
1000% YESH
Old 04-3-2007, 07:25 PM   #35
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
1000% YESH
Agreed, tambien, and any other Romantic and/or Germanic language.

Old 04-3-2007, 07:37 PM   #36
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Creationism has no right in a science classroom. End of debate, really.

As for this, well, lol. "Hey let's not teach some portion of history because it offends someone".

What the hell is this? This isn't your opinion or your belief. It's something factual that happened in the past, and is part of the worlds history. Get over it. Suck it up and learn some truth; there's no point living in your own little fantasy world, refusing to learn factual information because it might offend you.