Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #1
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter
Default Fog

So, I leave Dallas around ten thirty to go to Waco. About thirty miles down, I call Amanda and talk to her for about fifteen minutes. Toward the end of the conversation, she asks me where I am, so I look around and come to the conclusion that I have honestly no idea where I am. After a couple more minutes of driving, I still cannot even wager a guess. On the South side of Waxahachie I apparently drove into a dense cloud of fog.

I look around, and it is actually the densest fog I've ever seen, and it lasted all the way into Waco, about sixty miles. At best, road visibility wasn't much worse than regular night vision, so it was nine or ten car lengths as an estimate. At worst, though, it was around four or five. You know those series of stripes and reflectors that divide lanes of a highway? Well, I could only see about two and a half of them. That kind comprised most of the drive.

It was especially harrowing that I drove a good twenty miles without ever seeing anyone going my direction on the highway; it was desolate, and that's uncommon for I-35. So, I would get frightened whenever I approached a bridge, and the yellow sign on it telling me its clearance just jumped right out at me at high velocity. I didn't have much time to react to a curve in the road, either, if my attention were diverted for even a second.

It had some other interesting properties, too. You know how you're not supposed to turn on your brights in fog, right, on account of its being a colloid and all? Well, when there was nobody around, I decided to try it out, much like a kid touching something that someone else has explicitly mentioned is very hot. Sure enough, I was met with a brilliant cloud of white in front of me. "They" don't lie. Also, the entire sky flickered orange whenever I would change lanes. I passed a radio tower once, something that I ordinarily would never notice, but this time I thought I was driving into a lightning storm. One time, as I was entering a small town, I saw a red and an orange light on the other side of the highway. I thought it was a stop light at first, but it had curious properties of movement as I went up a hill and kept moving forward. It took me a few seconds, but I figured out that it was just a pair of tail lights on an old pickup that was traveling the same direction as I on the other side's access road. Yes, the fog was so dense that I couldn't even recognize tail lights that were a mere twenty yards away.

For the longest time I had no idea where I was. Since I could hardly see the next access road, I wasn't able to identify landmarks of towns, earlier. I drove a good half hour before knowing exactly where I was on my trip. Then I started getting into Waco and the density of the fog compounded with the ambient wetness made reading the road signs incredibly difficult. I would be about to drive under a green sign before I was at all able to read what it said; when I saw the one that said how far away my exit was I had to look at my odometer to remember where to exit, because I would have missed it, otherwise.

So yeah, it was pretty badass, despite being considerably scarier than sliding on ice or hydroplaning for appreciable distances.

Don't underestimate the fog.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall
Default Re: Fog

Whoa. Never been in fog that bad. So bad that it reflecs your lights back at you? That's insane. Never even knew that was possible.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
UberMario
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to UberMario Send a message via MSN to UberMario Send a message via Skype™ to UberMario

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethSquall View Post
Whoa. Never been in fog that bad. So bad that it reflecs your lights back at you? That's insane. Never even knew that was possible.
that's how they make the lazar beams in em movies, I believe.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Wow. Whenever I see a weather warning for fog, I'll think twice about going out. Glad you made it through okay.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

At least you haven't had to drive through miles of backroads just to get to your house in that type of fog. At least I didn't make the mistake of leaving that party earlier when I was still a little buzzed; I would have crashed, no questions asked. Either way, fog is rough stuff. I agree with nforcer on this one.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

Yeah, and he insisted on calling me while he was driving through it instead of devoting his full attention to the road.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Try fog almost that thick going up a really winding road.

I've once seen thicker than that, Guido, but when your parents are driving up one of the hardest roads to navigate in existence (it was like someone just scribbled across a map and said "this will be our new road." It didn't help that it was extremely steeply uphill and there were lots of trees on the side of the road.), any fog is horrifying.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Risking
FFR Player

Fog is srs business.
Damn you, Fog! Trying to kill people!

Risking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
dead_juggalo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dead_juggalo

Murderous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
My father-in-law called me yesterday to tell me he lost the internet. If you find it, please PM me.

Cheers,

Synthlight
dead_juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethSquall
So bad that it reflecs your lights back at you?
No, it's a suspension, so it spreads the light, lighting up all the local water particles, so you just see a wall of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermario
laser stuff
Just...no.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
CypherToorima
Boss of all bosses
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CypherToorima

Whenever I drive through thick fog I always think of Silent Hill. But I can't think of any time where the fog was that bad. Intense stuff.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #12
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Interesting note: I posted this thread on the CAD forums and got banned for spam, which, incidentally earned me a permaban.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote: