Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-4-2012, 01:32 PM   #41
Kinx
Replicaaaaaaaa!
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: What degree do you have or are pursuing in College?

associate of science in physical therapist assistant B) it's fun.

Kinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 01:38 PM   #42
Zekramcross
The Break Ends
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Zekramcross

Getting an Associate's in Computer Neworking and Cyber Security.

Zekramcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 01:43 PM   #43
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Maybe it's just me, but honestly, even at the Ivy League level, I felt like higher education is such an overpriced scam (that is perhaps too strong a word, but I do think in many ways it can be defended).

If it's knowledge you want, the internet is wide open. Private tutors are cheaper, too.

Ultimately, though, we want to learn from those who can teach good material effectively and help us learn. Sadly, even at expensive schools, the price tag does not ensure this. If it's problemsolving ability you want, you don't need a huge education to get it. Simply going through all the problems on Project Euler taught me a shitload about programming/mathematical insights (obviously this is just one example but my point is that sometimes higher education institutions are simply not necessary in various contexts).

Almost everything I learned at school could have been learned online, and I think this also applies for many other subjects, too. No doubt in my mind that the current education system will eventually become outmoded.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 10-4-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 01:56 PM   #44
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

From my experience I would argue that:
Schools aren't there to encourage creative problem solving but rather a set, tried-and-true approach which is quite a shame, in my opinion.
Additionally, I think it fails to adequately prepare you for the workforce. (unless, of course, you perform one function for hours at a time (flipping burgers, some factory jobs etc.), where creative input is not wanted or tolerated)

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 10-4-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Coolboyrulez0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 04:29 PM   #45
cool110
FFR Player

Thumbs up Re: What degree do you have or are pursuing in College?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Maybe it's just me, but honestly, even at the Ivy League level, I felt like higher education is such an overpriced scam (that is perhaps too strong a word, but I do think in many ways it can be defended).

If it's knowledge you want, the internet is wide open. Private tutors are cheaper, too.
Well over here it's the best choice from a financial view. Tuition fees for home students are capped at £9,000 a year and a maintenance loan of up to £5,500 a year (£4,375 at home, £7,675 in London). In addition there is a non-repayable grant for low income families (£3,250 a year for less than £25,000).

Under the current student loan/tax system it's unlikely to be fully paid before the government writes it off after 30 years. Repayments are 9% of of pre-tax income above £21,000 with interest at the RPI plus 3% during study or with income above £41,000 down to just RPI with income below £21,000.
Old 10-4-2012, 04:31 PM   #46
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I mainly refer to higher education in the US. Right now the ROI is weakening.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 05:05 PM   #47
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

mathematics and asian studies (focus on mandarin)

i'ma be a professor doe so #poorstatus

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 05:18 PM   #48
Sprite-
HAVE ME WITH VODKA
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

BM in Piano Performance....yeah, I'm going far
Sprite- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 08:18 PM   #49
Artic_counter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Currently pursuing a BS.c in Engineering Physics. It's basically the same as physics but it's one year longer in order to make us develop engineering skills.

It's hell so far. Averages are around 25-30% and it takes 45 hours a week of studying (not counting lectures) to get a 50%.

fml

Last edited by Artic_counter; 10-4-2012 at 08:27 PM..
Artic_counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 08:44 PM   #50
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artic_counter View Post
Currently pursuing a BS.c in Engineering Physics. It's basically the same as physics but it's one year longer in order to make us develop engineering skills.

It's hell so far. Averages are around 25-30% and it takes 45 hours a week of studying (not counting lectures) to get a 50%.

fml
You've just said something I will add to my memoir. Definitely interesting to see someone else admitting to this reality.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 09:01 PM   #51
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:

Ultimately, though, we want to learn from those who can teach good material effectively and help us learn. Sadly, even at expensive schools, the price tag does not ensure this. If it's problemsolving ability you want, you don't need a huge education to get it. Simply going through all the problems on Project Euler taught me a shitload about programming/mathematical insights (obviously this is just one example but my point is that sometimes higher education institutions are simply not necessary in various contexts).

Almost everything I learned at school could have been learned online, and I think this also applies for many other subjects, too. No doubt in my mind that the current education system will eventually become outmoded.
i view higher education as something to put on a resume. i've been passed up in many jobs ive applied for just because i didnt have the education to back up what ive learned first hand through work experience.
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 09:03 PM   #52
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artic_counter View Post

fml
Wah, wah, any engineering curriculum is like that.

EDIT: I should add that any serious curriculum is like that. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Last edited by foilman8805; 10-4-2012 at 09:05 PM..
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 09:09 PM   #53
Tristana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
You've just said something I will add to my memoir. Definitely interesting to see someone else admitting to this reality.
you should visit the EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) program at berkeley or any respectable CS/nuclear engineering program in the US

sleep is for the weak
and average GPA is below 3.0 ( )

and 80%s are a gift from the heavens

there was this one really smart indian dude from my school (ritik) who triple majored in economics, chemistry, and eecs (electric engineering and computer science)

rumor has it nobody has seen him sleep before
Tristana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 09:23 PM   #54
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Quote:

I can use myself as an example.

I've learned more working in kitchens from various chefs than I ever would have sitting years in a classroom. That's normal because cooking is hands-on and no textbook could prepare you for the rush of supper service. The best way to learn anything is to actually do it. You hear, you forget. You read, you remember. You do, you understand. Simple.

I don't have the qualifications necessary for my current job. I technically need a red seal which is obtained through 5000 hours in a kitchen and various block tests and extra studying blah blah. I got hired anyways because I could work. I learned everything I needed to within two weeks and that was it. I really didn't need to know all this extra fancy shit about cooking, I just needed to learn their menu and work from there. I'm not discrediting education, but it's silly that someone who studied years has half the work ethics of someone who didn't study and has been working a while. I think employers should hire based on individual performance (not for all professions obviously).
Old 10-4-2012, 09:27 PM   #55
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristana View Post
you should visit the EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) program at berkeley or any respectable CS/nuclear engineering program in the US

sleep is for the weak

there was this one really smart indian dude from my school (ritik) who triple majored in economics, chemistry, and eecs (electric engineering and computer science)

Stories like that are also a nice addition because I've heard plenty of stories like that which give me even more reason to be pissed at a lot of things.

I've been getting input from a lot of people, and I have good reason to think this way.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 09:31 PM   #56
Tristana
Banned

w0w0w0w00w0w

don be pised at those things

if classes/courses werent that hard then everyone would get doopity do 100% : (

get above class avg, work hard, make $ !!!
Tristana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 09:32 PM   #57
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:

sleep is for the weak

Mostly true.

Average GPA for my graduating class in aerospace was 2.6-2.7. I know plenty of people who had 2.5s. Very few who had 3.0+. You worked your ass off for a C, and I don't think it should be any easier. Need to weed out the weak.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 09:48 PM   #58
eastsideman09
poker face

I an Gen Ed AA to my name, but I'll be getting a BA in Psychology this spring. Getting applications ready, and studying for the GRE currently. Hopefully I can get into a Masters or PhD program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
wow ur pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
caring should be a get-outable offense
eastsideman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 09:53 PM   #59
Evnoir
_(:3」∠)_
FFR Veteran

Quote:
get above class avg, work hard, make $ !!!
Basically this lol

Grades are generally low across all engineering faculties (except something chill like mining - lol rocks). Just work really hard and do the best you can to get above average.

I'm in a BASc program (Electrical Engineering) and I'm doing a bunch of hands-on assignments that I find are really fun and useful at the same time. It seems to be a more effective way of teaching as well. It's a really cool major if anyone likes tinkering with circuits, working with engineering software, and designing electronic systems. It's hard work, but it's rewarding.
Evnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2012, 10:11 PM   #60
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

CMU hands out lotsa A's easy easy
I got 3.92/4.0 but more than half of the CS undergraduates got out with above 3.5 xd

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote