Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-7-2012, 01:12 PM   #81
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default Re: KONY 2012

"My question is now that technology has evolved, why are people still being scammed into donating to his movement?"
Why do ffrers get scammed into buying tshirts?

We live in a capitalist society where we need money to live. If you want to devote your life to activism, why should you have to struggle between holding down a job and your activism?
Old 03-7-2012, 01:19 PM   #82
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

ok to elaborate there is a lot of corruption, saying buying an action kit is the "right" thing to do is kind of retarded. there's no one right thing to do, there is so much fear mongering there, it is a total power struggle and people can't live out their lives in any relative peace. our ~money~ can only do so much. things like this all over the world need to be addressed in an actual approachable way... but yea it is good to care and spread the word. also saying how is he different from any other terrorist is pointless, because it all has to stop. seriously. just because the thing asked you to send money and youre broke doesn't mean you have to convince yourself it isn't worth caring about or donating to, it's more of a principal thing and humanity needs to take a strong stance to stop that kind destructive rebel shit. it should have gone away a long time ago but it's so deeply ingrained all people can do is argue over what will work and wont work, will someone Plz try something new
& yea that does mean something besides sending money
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Old 03-7-2012, 01:24 PM   #83
flipsta_lombax
Lombax Connoisseur
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
Those numbers suggest that they don't use the money for what purposes are stated. They also point out how the armies IC is literally funding rape and steal from people. So yeah. They're "a fallacy".
ye aight

Quote:
32% of their total profits. 2.8 million dollars might be 2.8 million dollars, but it's nothing compared to the ~8 million that COULD have gone to actually doing something. While I appreciate the funds to make a movie and raise awareness, again I must stress that 1) They could've made a much lower budget film, 2) this movie won't accomplish jack shit, and 3) THEY SPENT 16 THOUSAND DOLLARS ON "ENTERTAINMENT". COMPANY MONEY ON THEIR OWN JOY.
They could have lowered the budget I agree, but aight.

Quote:
lol you took the taco bell thing seriously.
something isn't better than nothing if that something goes to funding the wrong purposes. Advocating isn't bad; activism is great. BUT not when it's at the hands and purposes of a greedy bullshit company masquerading as a charity.
did not take it seriously.

And you bring a valid point, but as soon as this gets validated and they are bullshit, I'll stick with advocating for the right reasons.

In my eyes, helping the good cause is the right thing to do. I'll let karma take care of the company's fate. But I've done nothing wrong here. My $30, which means nothing to me right now, is intended for the cause, regardless of of the company. Me putting in more money would be ludicrous.

Quote:
wishing harm on your fellow man. A+ Activism talk!
it all depends how you interpret when is said "Then again". I never intended harm. Read it. I hope you don't catch E. Coli, but if you'd care about that more than this, yada yada yada fuccen yada.

Best SCORE: Husigi Usagi Milk Tei {16-1-2-8}
Old 03-7-2012, 01:53 PM   #84
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

HOW DID THIS GET SO BIG SO FAST

like i don't have an opinion on it and i won't watch the video because it's too long and i don't care but like oh my god this spread SO FAST like way faster than i've ever seen anything else on the internet spread

note to self: must not spread anti-"slacktivism" hatred in this thread

but needless to say some kids i know seem to be getting a little self-satisfied with how much of a difference theyre making....
Old 03-7-2012, 02:03 PM   #85
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

can't wait til april 21st

Old 03-7-2012, 02:36 PM   #86
DarkManticoreX2
TWG Overlord
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DarkManticoreX2

The whole money debate can stop. It was a part of the video, an option for people to take to show support, but it was not the purpose of the video.

The purpose of the video is to make Kony infamous, to get the word about him out to an ignorant US population who largely doesn't know who this man is. Untill yesterday night, I had never heard of the guy.

Once the word is out, we can pressure our senators/congressman/government into doing something about it. The truth is, our government wouldn't touch the situation with a 10 foot pole untill enough US citizens with a loud enough voice started to get heard.

The second truth is that if "We the People" stop taking about it, or forget it, the US goverment will go back to not caring and will pull their already small support staff out of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V
Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.
Old 03-7-2012, 02:43 PM   #87
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

DarkManticore outta nowhere o.o

But yeah, I agree with him on the debate thing
Old 03-7-2012, 02:46 PM   #88
WolfXhunter
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
DarkManticore outta nowhere o.o
That
Old 03-7-2012, 02:54 PM   #89
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
Choof and trog don't bring up any good points; they bring up points of laziness and distrust and worry that the group's incompetent. Essentially their point is 'why bother?'
How many people who are against this have actually watched the video in full?

ETC
What I meant was, that you don't have to spend money if you don't want to. The least they could do is show the video around. What I don't agree with though, is that it's "just another terrorist, etc.". But the point about spending money, I agree with. Sorry guys, but I'm not compelled enough to buy an action kit. :l
Old 03-7-2012, 02:56 PM   #90
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

So I gave my thoughts and people started shitting on me because I don't think that a donation to some awareness movement will do anything.

Great.

And yeah, I'll be buying dorito tacos tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelle View Post
What I meant was, that you don't have to spend money if you don't want to. The least they could do is show the video around. What I don't agree with though, is that it's "just another terrorist, etc.". But the point about spending money, I agree with. Sorry guys, but I'm not compelled enough to buy an action kit. :l
This. It's pretty easy to post the vid on facebook (which a lot of people are doing) and then never talk about it again (which a lot of people are doing).
Old 03-7-2012, 03:09 PM   #91
i love you
Live a wonderful life~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
So I gave my thoughts and people started shitting on me because I don't think that a donation to some awareness movement will do anything.
This is something you should have expected though. When most people in this community agrees on one thing but then one person suddenly disagrees with what most agrees with, obviously shit/drama is going to go down xd
Old 03-7-2012, 03:10 PM   #92
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

i think t-rogdor and choof have a fairly solid grasp on the issue and hand and anything I would have to add would just be regurgitation of opinions seeing as we share a like-minded opinion. Also a lot of butthurt people in here; learn to accept others opinions -- regardless if you are pro or con this "movement" (or rather faux-movement as i think it would be disrespectful to even classify it and compare it to real movements such as Civil Rights)

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 03-7-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Old 03-7-2012, 03:12 PM   #93
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

Actually - i posted that vid on twitter and got a reply on it showing me people who against this movement. I see both sides of it - now I don't know what to think.

"The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending."

you can read more at ze link below:
http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

EDIT: DAMMIT NINJAD A LONG TIME AGO BY ETHAN ^^;

Last edited by Hazelle; 03-7-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Old 03-7-2012, 03:13 PM   #94
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phe0nixblade View Post
You people need to do your research before you all jump on something just because you think it's doing the right thing.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/po...we-got-trouble
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...-lra?page=show
http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comme...joseph/c3ycvhb

"Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services."

"Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. "

"Of the $8.9 million you spent in 2011:
$1.7 million in US employee salaries
$357,000 in Film costs
$850,000 in Production costs
$244,000 in "professional services" (DC lobbyists)
$1.07 million in travel expenses
$400,000 in office rent in San Diego
$16,000 in Entertainment"
And this post only solidifies my personal thoughts and gives me more reason to not donate money.

oh and
http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02...ible-children/
Old 03-7-2012, 03:15 PM   #95
Ksl33zy24
The New York Yankees
FFR Veteran

shoulda done something yesterday, now you're just part of a dumb tumblr cause
Old 03-7-2012, 03:21 PM   #96
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

pretty much with rog and mike on this

donating money for a movement seems like the only option of propriety, instead of thinking better alternatives to spread awareness but it's pretty much like: "if you dont donate money for acknowledgement of a movement you'll be looked down upon by your peers" oh no what do i do

of course raising awareness for this is a good idea, but money isn't really a compulsory oh hey i spent $30 for a box full of bracelets and kory 2012 posters did i do good am i accepted by my peers yet

sharing this video is a better alternative of spreading the awareness And If You Act Fast You'll Get 100,000+ Likes On Your Facebook!

(i originally posted this until i saw manticore's post then i thought nahhh i'm gonna post it)

Last edited by AlexDest; 03-7-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Old 03-7-2012, 03:25 PM   #97
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

I believe the US government passed a bill to disarm the resistance etc, but they pretty much just failed. and I don't think they're really trying as hard as they could, because it can't be that difficult to find some dudes and assassinate them, like, idk what else to say. I thought thats what special ops was for. all that's gonna happen if this becomes more public, is obama will be all like, yea we tried and I won't stand for this now im gonna do x, but then something will come up that's vague like oops he's not in uganda anymore....

that isn't going to stop the whole resistance, apparently even kony can be replaced as the leader and it'll keep goin on as long as they have something to gain. imo most of these guys should be taken out and a point as to be made that these matters won't be taken gingerly. because there are tens of thousands of displaced people, people being mutilated, abducted, raped, killed etc and it isn't stopping on it's own. it's important to provide aid but it's even more important to stop what's causing all the devastation. then the people will have more power and freedom to change their lives and be happier etc.

so basically there has to be -good- plan. it isn't bad to donate money but that isn't going to stop the resistance, in fact im sure they will benefit from any aid we give villagers etc, because it isn't hard to seize supplies with no one there to stop them.

and all yall can just shut up about choofers already who cares about that scrub, he can buy his ****in dorito tacos and be fat dude

omg an awareness movement some people mean it and some people don't woopdee doo, the thing is, it is an outrage that this has continued to go on as long as they have and people are doing all they can. if they think theyre going to help by donating then theyre going to do it, but there is no "right" or "wrong" thing to do.

bottom line this has gotta stop somehow and people just need to know or its not really going to be talked about, let it ride the wave and see if anything actually happens. this is one among the many many things in the world that are affecting a ton of people and not that much is being done otherwise to help them
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 03-7-2012 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: words
Old 03-7-2012, 03:29 PM   #98
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDest View Post
kory 2012
Old 03-7-2012, 03:39 PM   #99
hi19hi19
lol happy

I just wasn't going to post in this thread at all, but seeing how much you guys are jumpin' all over him I'll just say that I pretty much agree with Choof.
It's wrong this is happening, absolutely, but you guys are hardly going to do anything about it by being indignant on the internet.

Old 03-7-2012, 03:47 PM   #100
wildfireskunk
Purveyor of tea
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to wildfireskunk Send a message via MSN to wildfireskunk Send a message via Skype™ to wildfireskunk

Tbh, the American guys who are giving their tactical support just need to make the entire army watch through every season of 24 and learn what to do from Jack Bauer. He'd never let Kony get away with this kinda shit.

Closed Thread