Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Events > Tournaments
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #781
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Dossar's Video Game Tournament

I can usually get through the first half with teens goods and sdcb, but the second half is where I pick up everything else, I don't know what you guys are talking about. ._.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #782
SocoNhydro420
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to SocoNhydro420

Thanks for the extension Doss ;D

I think this is the best im gonna get on this file. And lol at so many 3's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Classic Green Acres.jpg (51.6 KB, 0 views)

MUST... AAA...

FMO AAAs (27): Epidermis, Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star, Rottel-da-station, Disconnected Hardkore, Melonmans OP, Battle Theme #37, Fast Asleep, Gacha Gacha Hertz Figu atto Radio, Puzzle, Midnight Dragon, Distorted God, Variations 2, Strangeprogram, Arrogant Cobbler, Kanon Medly ~Metal Wings~, Dance and Zeal, Heavenly Spores, Document 13b, The Divine Suicide of K, Yorukumoryuu Yamikaze, Summer Time Perfume, Chaosmaid, Colorful Course, O (piano version), Ambient Angels, Defection, Jeanie and Caroline
Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #783
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
That same burst repeated 6 times in the song come on :c Files like that give no chance at all for anybody who sucks at bursts to get some points on another hard pattern that they're better at, and it's the 3rd file like that in the tourney. Monstrous is all stream, Inner City is all jack (with jumps), and this one is all burst. Not hating, just saying that imo, files based on 1 type of pattern only really aren't the best for tourneys, since depending on how long the file is, and how many notes there are in the hard pattern, some people are advantaged. Files like Round 1 and 3 were more general so funnier to play. /2cents
I find it better to test a wide variety of skillsets. You'd certainly have a point if this was based on cumulative scoring, but it isn't; it's based on tournament points.

In other words, if you can manage the one handed trilling required to nail the 48ths in Wily Machine, you have an advantage. It's not like you can have stream most of the time -- and managing jackhammers is another important skillset that I like to emphasize within reason.

It would be very unfair if most of the rounds were say, stream with a few bursts. More fun for other players? Probably, but it's not like you can just continue on with the game constantly having a weakness in jackhammers, lol.

Again I understand the frustration you guys might be having in playing these files, but it should also give you an idea on what you can improve on. This is also why my tournaments are now based on tournament points and not cumulative scoring, because cumulative would indeed be a very unfair advantage.

After this tournament is over I'll ask for ideas on another tournament, themes like maybe dubstep or a mix of genres, and then actually have others step files for the rounds (similar process like in the DF custom tournaments) since I generally receive complaints about focusing on certain skillsets.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #784
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

If you make a dubstep tournament, I will not be in it. Just saying.

Yeah, each of the files stresses something different, but this is exactly why there are no eliminations...so people who get a pattern they're bad at early on don't get shafted. I'm not saying I agree 100% with this philosophy, but it's certainly a sound approach. The idea of tournament points is also something you don't see often. As I said, it's like duplicate bridge, where the idea is to score points by getting a better score than the guy at the other table when you're given the same hands.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #785
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Sightread.
Not warmed up at all, really not feeling FFR/SM recently. Been super busy. I'll get ghost scores in soon, promise.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #786
Zyphoror
Handstream Hawaii
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Zyphoror

oh this tourney is based off of tournament points? Aw shit, I'm in like last place then lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
every anime girl has had wicked diarrhea at some point in their lifetime and this is something that every man, woman and child is going to shoulder for the rest of their lives
[1/19/13 12:28:59 AM] Dylan Fujimoto (Zyphoror): im going to an arcade
[1/19/13 12:29:04 AM] Dylan Fujimoto (Zyphoror): this monday for like, 4 or 5 hours
[1/19/13 12:29:26 AM] Eze Ho Ee Jie | Descension: make a vid where you try to hit freeze notes on DDR
[1/19/13 12:29:28 AM] Eze Ho Ee Jie | Descension: : ))
[1/19/13 12:29:33 AM] Dylan Fujimoto (Zyphoror): LMFAO FUCK U
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #787
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

... the hell?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #788
xXAll-ProXx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
Tournament points are simply the number of people you outscored in a round. Duplicate bridge uses a similar concept, where you earn points based on the number of people whose scores you tied or beat. As spelled out in the third post, the sum of the tournament points, instead of the sum of your song scores, determines the winner.
wow I don't like that at all. So, basically I could AAA Wily Machine, have a raw score much higher than anyone and still only earn 14 points max.

w/e not like I'm going to beat anyone on this song anyway, the [13][24] jumptrills are impossible.

Last edited by xXAll-ProXx; 04-26-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #789
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXAll-ProXx View Post
wow I don't like that at all. So, basically I could AAA Wily Machine, have a raw score much higher than anyone and still only earn 14 points max.
And? It gives more incentive to actually try each individual round rather than waiting for later rounds where the files get harder and the difference in scores become greater. This was especially a problem in my brutality tournaments where players would be getting around SDG differences in the first few rounds while the last round they'd get differences of 200 goods or more, boosting them up unfairly into first place (which is why I stopped using cumulative scoring).

Anyways, last score update was post #734. The extension deadline has also been reached.

Edit: D2's scores have been updated to this point, now for D1 and D3

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 04-26-2012 at 10:45 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #790
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
That same burst repeated 6 times in the song come on :c Files like that give no chance at all for anybody who sucks at bursts to get some points on another hard pattern that they're better at, and it's the 3rd file like that in the tourney. Monstrous is all stream, Inner City is all jack (with jumps), and this one is all burst. Not hating, just saying that imo, files based on 1 type of pattern only really aren't the best for tourneys, since depending on how long the file is, and how many notes there are in the hard pattern, some people are advantaged. Files like Round 1 and 3 were more general so funnier to play. /2cents
This. Like what people complained, you tend to concentrate more on one skill than just multiple skills (Hiphop Tournament)

It'll be better if you just make that files that test most skills in one file, such as Session.
Though there aren't many songs that can be stepped in a way that it tests most skills, just try not making files that blatantly show that you need this particular skill to destroy that file.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #791
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
just try not making files that blatantly show that you need this particular skill to destroy that file.

Just my opinion.
Why? If it's hard for you, it should be hard for everyone too and test skills correctly. He's also trying to compensate this by using tournament points. I don't see anything seriously wrong unless the 5 rounds themselves were jack files.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 04-26-2012 at 10:45 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #792
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Also, if there are 15 players in a division, nobody else can earn more than 14 points in a round -- so if you aren't trying, you can't rely on the last rounds to skyrocket into a higher position, lol

And Hakulyte, thank you. If you're weak in a certain place, that should give you an idea on what you can improve on. I didn't like how DF Tournament 7's files had a lot of weird one hand bias fraction-second parts to spike up difficulty in the files a lot more unfairly than my files which are way more consistent. (DF Tournament 6 was way better in terms of the files used, more consistency and less fraction-second crap) It's not like I just throw out something like Inner City Trash without carefully looking at how I stepped the file (that one could have easily been much uglier by putting anchor jumps instead of jumps on the other side).

Edit: Finished D1's scores. Going on to D3 now

Edit 2: Finished D3's scores up to this point. Calculating tournament points for the first four rounds now.

Edit 3: D3's Tournament Points have been updated up to Round 4.

Edit 4: D2's Tournament Points have been updated up to Round 4.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 04-26-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #793
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Tournament Points for all Divisions have now been updated to Round 4. Also remember that I said I'd be gone all day Friday (today) so in that time I won't be able to update scores.

D1 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...SZmFoZEE#gid=0
D2 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UY4ZDU4a052UFE
D3 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fTV9VeHc#gid=0

Players that have not submitted a score for Round 5 yet:

D1B
popsicle_3000
wildfireskunk

D1A
Soul.
i will pwn u
XxMidigamixX
Tekzaport

D2B
MaxGhost
No...
Xx{Midnight}xX
SkRAWRk
Winrar
Oni-Paranoia
.Gazelle.

D2A
fuzzykoala
shonen7
SocoNhydro420
Mau5
RadiantVibe
I Flag My FMOs
WSCB
The_Toymaker
rayword45
PriestREA

D3B
XXXsmittyXXX
~Zeta~
bballa48
hi19hi19 (ghosting)
Herogashix
Tidus810
icontrolyourworld
awein999
justin_ator
krunkykai22

D3A
TC_Halogen
One Winged Angel
subin
AlexDest

Alright guys, I'm off for the day now. Scores updated to post #796.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 04-26-2012 at 11:55 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #794
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
Why? If it's hard for you, it should be hard for everyone too and test skills correctly. He's also trying to compensate this by using tournament points. I don't see anything seriously wrong unless the 5 rounds themselves were jack files.
It did happen in one of his tourneys but it's the past so why bother talking about it. Doss I agree with you about the fact that those files show that you need to improve some skill, which is good sometimes. Just saying that you should refrain from focusing on just one particular skill.

Anyways I'll probably participate in the next tourney (brutality would be nice), you do make files that I don't really go fjdjejehdke yet.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #795
MaxGhost
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxGhost

lol this aint happenin. I can't do those minijacks T_T

lolno

Last edited by MaxGhost; 04-27-2012 at 12:28 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #796
shonen7
[GAR-CANO]
FFR Veteran

This file man, this file...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blaze Heatnix - 29g 6m 2b.jpg (106.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #797
wildfireskunk
Purveyor of tea
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to wildfireskunk Send a message via MSN to wildfireskunk Send a message via Skype™ to wildfireskunk

I just cannot do anything about those oranges at the beginning. The rest of the file is a cakewalk, just that goddamn beginning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DossarR5.JPG (50.6 KB, 0 views)

Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #798
fuzzykoala
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I've been visiting my grandparents for the last couple days and I can't get the game to work on their computer or get internet for my laptop so I feel like I should ask for an extension. I'm planning on going to visit a friend tomorrow so there's a chance I'll be able to get a score but it's not a sure thing.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #799
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzykoala View Post
I've been visiting my grandparents for the last couple days and I can't get the game to work on their computer or get internet for my laptop so I feel like I should ask for an extension. I'm planning on going to visit a friend tomorrow so there's a chance I'll be able to get a score but it's not a sure thing.
Sunday April 29th 10:00 PM Server Time is the latest I'll give for extensions on Round 5. After that, nothing else.

Also

Like I said earlier, the side game and writeup for Round 6 is special!

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 04-27-2012 at 11:54 PM..
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #800
pikakirby123
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Oh gross, I hate jacks.

Edit: Jacks for every division!
Closed Thread