Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology

Old 07-7-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
danceflashrevo
scumfan is scared of aa
FFR Veteran

Default Really Weird Issue With A Computer That I Don't Know How To Fix

Hey guys, to start out, this is an issue that's plagued me over the last few weeks at this point and I have no idea what to do, everyone I talk to can't figure it out, it's just so... weird.

I have a desktop right? It sits in my room, upstairs. My router and modem is downstairs and there's no cable port upstairs for me to setup the router in my room and I shouldn't have my computer downstairs because that's where family is and it's kind of an open area. So I have to use my desktop with wifi. So while I was building my computer and ordering my parts I got a PCI Network Card to go with my computer. Turns out that that one wasn't compatible with my computer and kept bluescreening it. Well crap, that's no good. Turns out my friend had a shitty PCI card laying around that I could use for the mean time, but it was only good for like 480p YouTube.

Because I have to use better wifi, I went on amazon and got a pretty neat wireless adapter, popularly used with like Raspberry Pi's and what not. It's the Panda Wireless USB PAU05. It worked phenomenally for a long time (like almost a full year) until randomly while I was using my computer watching a Twitch stream it stopped working. "Oh hey this has happened before, I'll just reset my modem and router." Well I did that, to no avail. Instead my computer would say that I'm connected with full signal strength to my network but I would have such a bad down/up that I couldn't even connect to Skype.

Turns out I still had that other PCI card in my computer so for shits and giggles I just used that one. "Huh that's weird, it seems like it's working. Well I guess that'll do while I troubleshoot." So at this point it seemed that my USB card was at fault, so I got on tech support with them. Their tech support was stumped because everything looked like it was working fine, except for it actually working. He asked what would happen in safe mode, I complied. The same thing happened, still bad internet. I could actually do a speedtest on safe mode and turns out I was getting .4 mbps down. For the record I pay for 60. So with their tech support stumped, they were very quick (quick in actually being tech support too, I got human interaction within like 10 minutes of my initial email. I was very impressed) to send me a replacement card, which I waited with bated breath for. Whelp that didn't work either.

The next logical option was to start up a thread on some tech support website and I got this guy to help me, he did a lot and we had a very extensive conversation but he gave up today actually after he admitted he was stumped.

Well while I was in that tech support forum I decided to call my ISP because who the hell knows what would happen. I play games like League and go on Steam so I'm constantly downloading stuff. My ISP's Charter and they've never capped me before but who knows. They said that everything was running fine on their end and there wasn't anything wrong with my household's account with Charter so no caps or anything, and he re-insured it must be on my end.

Well I brought my computer downstairs to see if it would connect to the internet through Ethernet (which I was sure it would because of my PCI card connected). And it did, with full speed.

I'm going to college and needed to get a laptop so I bought one off of Amazon and waited for it to arrive. Once it came I thought it would be interesting to see if the USB card worked on my laptop, and so I tested it, and it did work, full speed.

I have tested all the USB ports on my desktop computer and none of them "work" with the USB adapter. I tested all the ports with an external hard drive and they all worked for that.

I believe my story is told completely. I should be able to post the email thread I had with Panda Wireless tech support. I can link you the tech support forum thread. Uh... other facts that might prove useful: Windows 10, there was no restore point prior to the problem, my drivers were up to date, there were no restarts, windows updates, power failures, foul play, etc. between it working and not working.

Please help, my address is 123 HELP

Why are you here?
danceflashrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Really Weird Issue With A Computer That I Don't Know How To Fix

Mind right clicking on the wifi icon and troubleshooting? Give the error that gives. That might help. It may be a DNS issue.
Old 07-7-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Check device manager, go to properties and check the hardware ID.

I had an issue one time where I had a knock off xbox360 controller, I had to manually change the hardware ID to the same hardware ID as a real xbox controller in the registry to get games to recognize it lol.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...dor-device-id/

Just check in the details tab for something thats off. Perhaps your USB drivers are out of date? Is it USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? There could be alot of factors, perhaps it only works on the correct type of usb port and the laptop coincidentally has though.

I'd say look at device manager though. If anything, compare how it appears on your laptop and your desktop.

Tech support 101 in troubleshooting is to logically think of what may be causing the issue. You have a working computer and one that doesn't work, so you can make comparisons and see what differs.

EDIT: Also, slightly unrelated but you should have gotten a powerline adapter. Makes the ethernet go through the power in the wall yo: https://www.google.ca/search?q=powerline%20adapter

EDIT 2: I also want to add, please tell me what you mean by "and none of them "work" with the USB adapter.". What do you mean it doesn't "work"? The computer doesn't detect it at all when its plugged in, it's not able to let you connect etc.

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 07-7-2016 at 05:10 PM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

do you have hamachi (caused problems similar to what you've described, and uninstalling completely helped)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.

Last edited by YoshL; 07-7-2016 at 05:34 PM..
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to m0de

Try changing what channel the wifi is being broadcast on. You can download an app for your smart phone called "wifi analyzer" and I believe it recommends which channel to use.

Heres a video that helped me out quite a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgfoGg-g9Sc&t=4m20s
Old 07-7-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
danceflashrevo
scumfan is scared of aa
FFR Veteran

Oh wow thanks for all the responses so quick guys, I was gone for a bit so lemme respond to each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenorosth View Post
Mind right clicking on the wifi icon and troubleshooting? Give the error that gives. That might help. It may be a DNS issue.
It doesn't see anything wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry
Check device manager, go to properties and check the hardware ID.

I had an issue one time where I had a knock off xbox360 controller, I had to manually change the hardware ID to the same hardware ID as a real xbox controller in the registry to get games to recognize it lol.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...dor-device-id/

Just check in the details tab for something thats off. Perhaps your USB drivers are out of date? Is it USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? There could be alot of factors, perhaps it only works on the correct type of usb port and the laptop coincidentally has though.

I'd say look at device manager though. If anything, compare how it appears on your laptop and your desktop.

Tech support 101 in troubleshooting is to logically think of what may be causing the issue. You have a working computer and one that doesn't work, so you can make comparisons and see what differs.

EDIT: Also, slightly unrelated but you should have gotten a powerline adapter. Makes the ethernet go through the power in the wall yo: https://www.google.ca/search?q=powerline%20adapter

EDIT 2: I also want to add, please tell me what you mean by "and none of them "work" with the USB adapter.". What do you mean it doesn't "work"? The computer doesn't detect it at all when its plugged in, it's not able to let you connect etc.
I'll check that hardware ID thing in a sec. Drivers are completely up to date, I made sure. It had worked on my computer before so I don't think it's a USB compatibility issue. It's 2.0. I'll make comparisons once I hook the computer up again. The powerline thing looks really cool, I wish someone would've told me about that when I was building my computer a year ago lmfao. And sorry for not clarifying, when I mean "not working" I mean it appears to be working and it connects and has great signal and connection regardless of USB port but none of them give me internet. I guess since I got .4 down in safe mode my downspeed is hella limited, perhaps that would be a better way to look at it instead of completely off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshl
do you have hamachi (caused problems similar to what you've described, and uninstalling completely helped)
I used to, I actually forgot to add to my story, because of these problems I have completely reinstalled Windows in my escapades of trying to figure out the problem, so there are no outside programs except for like... Skype, but that's not causing the problem because I had tested my internet before I installed Skype, also safe mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de
Try changing what channel the wifi is being broadcast on. You can download an app for your smart phone called "wifi analyzer" and I believe it recommends which channel to use.

Heres a video that helped me out quite a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgfoGg-g9Sc&t=4m20s
I will look at that if I see no differences in device manager for the adapter between the two computers. Also funny to note that your timestamp is at 4:20.

Why are you here?
Old 07-7-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
danceflashrevo
scumfan is scared of aa
FFR Veteran

Problem Computer
USB\VID_148F&PID_5372&REV_0101
USB\VID_148F&PID_5372

Turns out it's the same on my laptop too. Idk what else to check on hardware ID. Do I just keep looking through details trying to find anything different?

Why are you here?
Old 07-7-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
danceflashrevo
scumfan is scared of aa
FFR Veteran

WiFi channel switching doesn't work. Side note, my PCI adapter is the same channel and was working fine. I'll go ahead and link the other forum while I'm at it https://forums.techguy.org/threads/m...1173627/page-4

Also IT convo:

Panda Wireless 300MB USB Adapter Slow
Inbox
x

Maurice Barnett
Jun 22

to support
I've used this product 24/7 ever since I built my computer a year ago and it just started acting up yesterday.

All the Internet in my house works just fine, except for my computer. I think I deduced it to being the network adapter because just to see, I switched to my old network card and got its usual of 5Mbs down. I pay for 60Mbs down, hence the change to your product. If I speed test on the panda, I get 30kbs down. I thought I've done everything I could.

Computer specs:
Windows 10
Gigabyte Mobo
AMD 6300 cpu
Anything else I can tell just lemme know.

-Thanks in advance

Panda Support <pwsupp@gmail.com>
Jun 22

to me
Hi Maurice,

Please give me your order number before I can help you further.

Don't worry. We will send you a replacement if the Panda adapter is defective.

I need more info from you before I can figure out what is wrong.

Which model of the Panda adapter did you buy? i.e. PAU05

What is the operating system running on your computer? i.e. Windows 7.

Do you run any anti-virus/security software on your computer?
i.e. Zone Alarm, AVG, AVast, ...etc.

Thanks.

Alex

Maurice Barnett
Jun 22

to Panda
Where could I find the order number? Through Amazon?

Model number: PAU05
Security: MalwareBytes

Panda Support
Jun 22

to me
Yes. If you bought it from Amazon, log into your account on Amazon.
Go to Order Page and find the order number for the Panda adapter.

Panda Support
Jun 22

to me
Did you install any other anti-virus program on your computer?

Did you install the driver for the Panda adapter on your Windows 10 computer?

Please do the following:
Plug the Panda adapter into a USB 2.0 port
Press Windows and "R" keys together to get the run box
Type "devmgmt.msc" in the run box and hit "OK" to get the Device Manager window
Expand "Network Adapters", "Other Devices" and "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" sections
Send me a screenshot of the window

What is the model number of your WiFi router? Did you get it from your
internet service provider?

How far is your computer away from your router? Is there any wall between them?

Maurice Barnett
AttachmentsJun 22

to Panda
Order number: 108-5319353-5397063
No other Antivirus except for Windows' that doesn't turn off.
I installed the driver from your website.
Router model number is TL-WDR3500, a personal router.
I'm upstairs and the router downstairs but nothing's changed from it working day before yesterday and today.

I apologize for the poor picture quality, trying to do this from my phone. Also I appreciate the quick support!

Attachments area

Panda Support
Jun 22

to me
I see the Panda adapter ("802.11N USB Wireless LAN Card") is running.

There is another "802.11N" device which is disable.

Please do the following:
1)Download this WiFi Scanner and run it on your Windows computer
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifiinfoview.zip

2)Maximize the WiFi Scanner window so you can see all the columns
Send me a screenshot of the window

What is the name for your network?

Maurice Barnett
AttachmentsJun 22

to Panda
Lucky for us I already have that program. The disabled card is my other card that I had before I received the panda. The network name is Gemini 2.4.

2 Attachments

Panda Support
Jun 22

to me
I can't see it very well.
Can you send me these images in higher resolution?

Did you upgrade your computer to Windows 10 from Windows 7 lately?

Maurice Barnett
AttachmentsJun 22

to Panda
You should be able to zoom in on this. I stretched it across both monitors. I installed windows 10 as soon as it came out.

Attachments area

Panda Support
Jun 22

to me
I don't see anything wrong in the screenshot.

Do you have any wireless device sitting next to the Panda adapter?
i.e. wireless mouse/keyboard, Bluetooth adapter, external USB hard drive, metallic object,...etc.

Did you install any new hardware or software lately?

We will send you a replacement tomorrow.

Thanks.

Maurice Barnett
Jun 22

to Panda
Nothing new, randomly stopped working as of yesterday morning. No wireless devices either.

I appreciate all your help!

Why are you here?
Old 07-8-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

If it gives a good signal but doesn't let you connect, give the proxy settings a look in "Internet Options".

Start menu -> Internet Options.

Perhaps its configured to connect to some random proxy or something lol, I dunno
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
danceflashrevo
scumfan is scared of aa
FFR Veteran

No proxies. Just booted linux from a flash drive and it's still not working there. idek at this point.

Why are you here?
Old 07-9-2016, 02:50 PM   #11
danceflashrevo
scumfan is scared of aa
FFR Veteran

Follow up on the how it's not working. When I was on linux it gave me a speedtest of 20mbps which was... more promising then not, but it kept slowing down until it was useless. I booted on windows and did more speedtesting through there for shits and giggles and it pulled the same stunt. Perhaps this is indicative of anything?

Why are you here?
Old 07-9-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
cedolad
moonchild~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to cedolad

Did you try updating the driver? Haha
Old 07-9-2016, 07:14 PM   #13
danceflashrevo
scumfan is scared of aa