Old 10-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Play MTG? rate my (subpar) decks!

TLDR: https://tappedout.net/users/MixMasterLar/

I have a few friends still in quarantine from March and after months of going stir crazy are trying to get everyone to play Magic on Cockatrice. I have a very casual on/off again relationship with MTG in that I don't like most of the game but everyone I know IRL pretty much plays it so it gets played at least semi-regularly. Invested in a random bag of cards from Mirrodin and Kamigawa (and some older sets that are....old) for 10 bucks and was along for the ride from Return to Ravinca through the Khans Block back when that was a thing so I know the game and invested time into it at one point.

That said, I do like to take some amount of pride in whatever I do and if it's building decks right now then by golly Imma go and share them on this Tapped Out account that I don't ever use, and since I know at least a small group of you here play I figure I'd post the link and get your input/comments on what can be improved or just general thoughts.

Also, two out of the three have non-modern legal cards in them. That isn't a deal for most people I play with but any suggestions on replacement/sideboard cards that make them legal are welcomed because I'd like to have the option whenever someone makes the reasonable request to not get janky with it.

Not on Tapped Out are any of my burn decks (either IRL or Cockatrice) but imagine vanilla burn with Guttersnipes and Monastery Swiftspears and boom you got it. Didn't seem like it needed to crowd the site.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 10-29-2020 at 10:28 AM..
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
flashflash account
FFR Player

Default Re: Play MTG? rate my (subpar) decks!

I looked at the ninja deck because the other two looked boring

if you're playing on cockatrice there's no reason not to load up on 4 ninja of the deep hours, ingenious infiltrator, and fallen shinobi
ninjutsu'ing in cards lilke ninja of the new moon feels so bad compared to reloading your hand with more ninjas

also smoke shroud>aqueous form because it comes back from the graveyard, aqueous form is just a thrown away card once you use it to ninjutsu

making these changes will make the ninja deck feel a lot smoother to run

going for wins I'd rate 4/10, because you're not using the best/most consistent cards
going for fun I'd rate 4/10, because drawing cards is more fun than doing damage
going for fair I'd rate 8/10, because most of what you're doing has plenty of avenues to interact with anyone who's prepared for the tempo

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless

Last edited by flashflash account; 10-30-2020 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: added rating
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
I'd like to have the option whenever someone makes the reasonable request to not get janky with it.
Disgusting.

Why play a competitive, modern, well-tuned deck when you can hopelessly lose 14 games in a row with the most jank stack of crap ever shuffled together, then on that sweet sweet 15th game have the stars align and crush someone's hopes and dreams with your once-in-a-lifetime dumb combo involving some obscure-ass card from Mirage block.

So anyway, my name's Johnny, nice to meet you

Last edited by hi19hi19; 10-30-2020 at 04:55 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
sff_writer_dan
FFR Player

Narset's Temper:

Burn with Prowess is still largely burn and wants to be a lot closer to the ground than casting 6-mana creatures that need to live a turn before they do anything. I guess if you're really married to it being Narset themed ignore me. But if you want Prowess Burn, some obvious swaps would be:

Cut
1x Narset Enlightened Master
2x Seeker of the Way
2x Soulblade Djinn
2x Narset of the Ancient Way
2x Render Silent
4x Brimstone Volley
4x Lightning Strike
2x Electrickery

Add
4x Manamorphose
4x Light up the Stage
4x Stormwing Entity
4x Opt
3x Sprite Dragon

Then because you're out of white, you can adjust the mana base to be more efficient and fit in some dual lands.
sff_writer_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
sff_writer_dan
FFR Player

Erayo, Soritami Filibuster

If you really want to rely on flipping Erayos to establish your lock, you need more ways to be mostly responsible for getting to 4 casts, especially being able to do it on your own turn. Your goal is to lock them out anyway so counterspells aren't even the strong choice there. But if you want to run them, run 1-mana ones so you have the option of responding to yourself to kick the count to 4.

So like...Spell piece, stubborn denial, mana tithe. I think the best use of your old shield spheres was costing 0 to help get to 4 spells cast, so replacing them with 2 and 3 mana walls seems bad. Wall of Omens is good if you want defenders because it's 2 mana and draws a card, and I'd consider the possibility of even Memnites or Ornithopters because they can chump and cost 0.

Teferi, Time Raveler is another really strong choice for this deck. It's a pseudo lock on its own for opponents, only being able to cast on their own turns, plus the -3 could enable a play like

Cast Teferi, Cast Memnite, Use Teferi's -3 to put Memnite in your hand, Cast Memnite, cast Spell Pierce on Memnite. And there's your 4 spells cast for a total of 1UUW mana.

Also if you're going to run Tron, I'd see if you can fit some Expedition Map in there somewhere. Getting Tron into play ASAP is generally vital for decks that want to play it.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #6
sff_writer_dan
FFR Player

Ninjas

I like that it's literally all in on ninjas and low cost unblockables in terms of being thematic. But that's a lot of 5 and 6 mana creatures that even if you cheat in via ninjutsu for 4 or 5 you have to bake in the cost of the unblockable creature and the turn to wait.

Use Changeling Outcasts as a 4-of for unblockable creatures. They're ninjas in the library and on the battlefield so you can tutor for them with Higure, and use them to trigger Yuriko.

Distortion Strike is another potential replacement for the Aqueous Forms. It gives you an unblockable creature across two turns for 1 mana, and doesn't care if you Ninjutsu something away where the aura would fall off. Or Slip through Space, only gives unblockable once but also draws a card.

You have 8x unblockable and 16x ninjas. Like FFA said, you might as well load up on the more powerful ninjas like Fallen Shinobi, Higure, Walker of Secret Ways. I'd consider Throat Slitter over Mistblade unless your meta is very black heavy. Killing their stuff is better than bouncing it.

Rogue's Passage also good here for getting your ninjas in for more triggers once they're on the field.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
_DJ Vinyl_
Path of Re Rusting
FFR Veteran

Well Funny enough I make jank decks but in Arena... Do you play MTGArena or just MTGO? I make decks on my youtube channel and have live streams. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSg...vbFAAaebi70bHg

I don't like rating decks but yours just don't seem to be there. I would play izzet tempo like Delver and Sprite Dragon in modern and put in counterspells and bounce spells. For extra damage try burn spells as well.
_DJ Vinyl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:16 AM   #8
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I see these posts, busy atm but will come back and go through these suggestions

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote