Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology

Old 03-7-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me a good coding laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
is Professional worth it over HP? (I think I've only ever used HP)
Have a look HERE I use HP for everything I need.

tl;dr

No "XP Mode on HP" You can always run VM software.
No Network Backup settings LOL
No Domain mode http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...res/networking

I do not think you will need Professional for those reasons. However, I am in no way a developer so someone else may want to chime in.
ELRayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

On second thought sticking with HP, figure I'll be taking the laptop errwhere anyway

pulling the trigger

Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
On second thought sticking with HP, figure I'll be taking the laptop errwhere anyway
pulling the trigger
Nice, I am def Jelly. Let me know how the order/shipping process goes.

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Dear sager, send me swag for my store pls
Old 03-7-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Thanks for all your advice / recs ITT -- will do

I am excited for the SSD :X I've never really used them before
Old 03-7-2013, 12:49 PM   #25
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all your advice / recs ITT -- will do

I am excited for the SSD :X I've never really used them before
You are most welcome! Thanks for using Bits and Bytes xD Love this subforum. SSD will be like a breath of fresh air. Enjoy!
Old 03-7-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

My experience with Linux installing has basically been "Install thing I want. Oh, that didn't work. Repeat [Looks like... I'm missing something called [name]. Install [name] and dependencies. Clean up and try installing thing I want again] until it does." Add sudo where necessary. It's not perfect but for some types of software it's several times easier than getting it working in Windows. And yeah, if Ubuntu is an issue there are many other distros with a similar style - GUI friendly, and designed for people who aren't hardcore into *n?x (I am not either). Just a suggestion anyway. I personally really like having it sitting in a virtual machine, and maybe that would work really nicely for you too.

As for win7/win8: having used both, 7 is absolutely better. 8 is basically designed for tablets, and even more so for casual computer users, which means a lot of design decisions that make no sense for a workstation. Think mouse "gestures" where you have to hover in one corner of the screen, native apps that will ONLY run full-screen (including the PDF viewer! what were they thinking?!), and a start screen where your programs are shown in little boxes across the whole screen. I'm sure you could get around some of its problems by getting used to it and overriding a lot of the defaults, but I don't see why you should have to bother. Get the one designed for real computers and save yourself some hassle.

Full disclosure: I still have XP 'cuz I'm lazy.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 02:35 PM   #27
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
My experience with Linux installing has basically been "Install thing I want. Oh, that didn't work. Repeat [Looks like... I'm missing something called [name]. Install [name] and dependencies. Clean up and try installing thing I want again] until it does." Add sudo where necessary. It's not perfect but for some types of software it's several times easier than getting it working in Windows. And yeah, if Ubuntu is an issue there are many other distros with a similar style - GUI friendly, and designed for people who aren't hardcore into *n?x (I am not either). Just a suggestion anyway. I personally really like having it sitting in a virtual machine, and maybe that would work really nicely for you too.
My experience with virtual machines is nonexistent (assuming VMWare here). Are you saying that you could run Ubuntu "from Windows"?

Quote:
As for win7/win8: having used both, 7 is absolutely better. 8 is basically designed for tablets, and even more so for casual computer users, which means a lot of design decisions that make no sense for a workstation. Think mouse "gestures" where you have to hover in one corner of the screen, native apps that will ONLY run full-screen (including the PDF viewer! what were they thinking?!), and a start screen where your programs are shown in little boxes across the whole screen. I'm sure you could get around some of its problems by getting used to it and overriding a lot of the defaults, but I don't see why you should have to bother. Get the one designed for real computers and save yourself some hassle.

Full disclosure: I still have XP 'cuz I'm lazy.
Yep, that is more or less what I read online when looking up comparisons between 7 and 8 -- same sort of deal. Seems like 8 is better if you're a casual user who's into touchscreens and whatnot. 7's been great for me so far so I see no reason to switch away from that. A great deal of people who've tried both (from what I've read) prefer 7 even after some adjustment time.
Old 03-7-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Quote:
My experience with virtual machines is nonexistent (assuming VMWare here). Are you saying that you could run Ubuntu "from Windows"?
Well, I have Oracle VM VirtualBox, but same idea. And yeah, it just works as a windowed OS which runs off my internet connection and hard drive. I'm sure there's some performance detriment compared to having it run natively, but it hasn't been noticeable so far.
Old 03-7-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ I believe this is free now.
Old 03-7-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

How exactly does a virtual machine work in this context? Does it partition off part of the HDD that is only accessible via virtual machine or something?
Old 03-7-2013, 05:36 PM   #31
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Quote:
How exactly does a virtual machine work in this context? Does it partition off part of the HDD that is only accessible via virtual machine or something?
Not at all. In fact, your entire OS-installation within the VM itself will look to your host OS (the one within which the VM is installed) as files within its existing filesystem.

Have you ever used an emulator of any kind? That is exactly what this is. It's basically an x86 and x86_64 emulator. You then install your OS within the emulator. Warning: These can be tricky to set up sometimes. Also, if you're planning on using a VM anyway, is a good idea to have lots of RAM, which you opted for.

There are also many ways to run Linux from within Windows itself. VM is not the only option, but if you have the RAM for it (and that machine does), is probably the best option. May want to check that the computer supports certain VM options as well (they don't all).

Still, if you only occasionally need the UNIX-Y thing, Cygwin won't have the overhead a VM would.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 05:37 PM   #32
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

It's not really a partition. It basically keeps a big file somewhere (for this one it's called a Virtual Disk Image; mine is 8 GB) which it uses to hold all of the data for the virtual box. Then it runs everything off that, putting all of its filesystem in that one file. But as far as Windows is concerned it's just a regular old gigantic file sitting on your computer. You could theoretically send the entire file to someone else (or another computer) and load up the VM in the same state you had it in. I imagine if you had the right tools you could even take a look at the file to see how its file system is structured or extract any information from it.

And yeah, as UNGH says, there are many different ways to get similar stuff done. I actually have cygwin too but don't like it as much.

Last edited by qqwref; 03-7-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Old 03-7-2013, 05:53 PM   #33
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Quote:
It's not really a partition. It basically keeps a big file somewhere (for this one it's called a Virtual Disk Image; mine is 8 GB) which it uses to hold all of the data for the virtual box. Then it runs everything off that, putting all of its filesystem in that one file. But as far as Windows is concerned it's just a regular old gigantic file sitting on your computer. You could theoretically send the entire file to someone else (or another computer) and load up the VM in the same state you had it in. I imagine if you had the right tools you could even take a look at the file to see how its file system is structured or extract any information from it.

And yeah, as UNGH says, there are many different ways to get similar stuff done. I actually have cygwin too but don't like it as much.
Absolutely, 100%, correct!

However, if you were interested in such low-level details as file system structure, it would be far easier to acquire and read through documentation on the specific filesystem if such documentation is available (It's available for many, but not all, filesystems. Even if it's not officially available, someone may have already done the work, so check for that first). The using low-level tools and doing it yourself approach is also known as reverse engineering and is probably among the most difficult things you could possibly do with software. Possible, but requires mad skills.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 07:38 PM   #34
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

All version of windows have Remote Access using RDP. It requires a little setup, as well as router config, it is very easy to implement. I use HP for all my remoting and networking needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol
Old 03-7-2013, 07:58 PM   #35
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't think RA/RDP works on HP though
Old 03-7-2013, 08:08 PM   #36
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I don't think RA/RDP works on HP though
This feature is included with all editions of Windows 7, but you can only connect to computers running the Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise editions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...top-connection

Funny thing is, there is a "hack" that can enable RDP server hosting on ANY versions of windows. Its one of those "replace this file, change this registry" I had a small AMD A6 hosting a RDP server (25 users) on windows HP for a week with no issues xD

If it is for professional use, then the host will def be pro or server. If it is home you can still connect 1 PC at a time without a hack.

Said HACK this is not legit so be careful when using it commercially.

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Old 03-7-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

What's the workaround? :O I remember trying this before but not succeeding
Old 03-7-2013, 08:16 PM   #38
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Are you trying to access your desktop at home while you are on the go?
Quote:
What's the workaround? :O I remember trying this before but not succeeding
The key is you MUST create account with a password in order to log in. (This messed me up the first time) You also must open up port 3389 on that computers Local 192.128.*.* address on the routers port forwarding. If you do not have a static IP at home you will need to check it often, or, use a free DDNS program ;) If you cannot get it going, I would be happy to conf call walkthrough or just remote in via Teamviewer some time :D

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: SMILEYS CAUSE IM DRINKING
Old 03-7-2013, 08:19 PM   #39
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeah, it'd be the desktop at home while I'm out and about (mainly if I want to be able to look through my webcam remotely or something without needing to broadcast it live on the net)
Old 03-7-2013, 08:24 PM   #40
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, it'd be the desktop at home while I'm out and about (mainly if I want to be able to look through my webcam remotely or something without needing to broadcast it live on the net)
That would work as far as seeing it, it will be slightly low quality/slow refresh due to how RDP works. If you have decent upload it will be better. How is your speedtest.net upload? If the webcam is the only thing you would be doing via RDP there are many different secure options available. However, having the RDP available gives you FULL access to that and the desktops power/bandwidth. I tend to access mine for setting playlists, in house cameras, small remote transfers, and large download ques when I am away.

As a gamer, there is nothing better than having all your patches done, via the RDP, before getting home.

As far as security goes, we would want to change your default 3389 to something else incase your 3389 gets hit by random sniffer. A strong password will prevent entry but still the port will be hit a million times if you do not have a strong firewall. Easy solution is to change the RDP port to 3390 (lol or some random 58394 shit)

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 08:34 PM..