Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Writing and Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #21
Treia
FFR Player

Default Re: How do you make yourself write?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
To keep it short:
I used to write stories by telling a tale from beginning to end. I find now that writing is much easier if you start writing a summary of events, starting from the middle. Figure out where you want the story to have a turning point, and write in both directions from there. Spread yourself out, and do not focus on one thing.
I thought of so many different ways to write it out before the solidified final form, but not this one. I really like it! Sounds like it can get a little messy, but seems like it will be a fun process nonetheless.
Old 06-3-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Update:
Its going well guys! I'm at 26,000 words and counting.
I've taken to writing outside of my apt, its a huge help. I focus on it so much more, fewer distractions. Coffee shops, bars, the park...anywhere but home if I'm at home by myself. I feel pretentious, and I love it :-p Mostly I go somewhere close to my bf's work so that I'll have a reason to stay there until he's done work. It really helps a lot, it gives me a chunk of time where I don't have much to do besides write. (or post here, but whatever)

I've enjoyed almost all of the writing I've done once I get into it, with only one exception where it felt forced. I found myself trying to hurry my story, writing less than I thought I should've, simply to advance the story faster to get my writing done sooner.

Written it mainly chronologically, with one exception which I expect I will have to alter a fair bit, or break it up. It was great fun writing that part though, even if I will have to change a lot of it.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2011, 06:17 PM   #23
ffraxis
FFR Player

writing is easy, you take a pen and start writing down words. Personally, i never met someone who had to restrain themselves and strap on locks and force themselves to write, that makes the work sloppy and messy, then again i don't hang out with "writers"

writing comes as thinking, whatever whenever.

kinda counter intuitive don't ya think?
ffraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2011, 07:25 PM   #24
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffraxis View Post
writing is easy, you take a pen and start writing down words. Personally, i never met someone who had to restrain themselves and strap on locks and force themselves to write, that makes the work sloppy and messy, then again i don't hang out with "writers"

writing comes as thinking, whatever whenever.

kinda counter intuitive don't ya think?
If you've never met anyone who had to force themselves to write, then why would you presume the writing they create is sloppy and messy? You also make it very unclear as to what you think is counter-intuitive. Your entire post is, well, sloppy and messy.

It's clear that you've also never met anyone who you know who has to force themselves out of bed in the morning. Obviously using your logic, sloppy and messy would adequately describe every aspect of their lives.

Thinking before you write or speak is a good habit to get into, perhaps you should try it sometime.

Last edited by Cavernio; 06-3-2011 at 07:29 PM..
Old 06-4-2011, 02:47 AM   #25
ffraxis
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
If you've never met anyone who had to force themselves to write, then why would you presume the writing they create is sloppy and messy? You also make it very unclear as to what you think is counter-intuitive. Your entire post is, well, sloppy and messy.

It's clear that you've also never met anyone who you know who has to force themselves out of bed in the morning. Obviously using your logic, sloppy and messy would adequately describe every aspect of their lives.

Thinking before you write or speak is a good habit to get into, perhaps you should try it sometime.
this is why bathroom walls and the internet don't work, people have a harder time differentiating satire from something serious, then again people take things they like too seriously.
ffraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-4-2011, 07:04 AM   #26
Treia
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffraxis View Post
then again people take things they like too seriously.
Boy, don't get me started on toaster stroodles!

But that's great to hear Cavernio! Maybe I should try writing out the house. Hopefully somewhere I can use my laptop, because I find my handwriting to kill my creativity (it's toooo slow, and my sloppiness distracts me). Also, I don't want to write anywhere remotely near my neighborhood. I dunno, something about kids being named "Spooky", "Murda", or "Crims da Tank, formerly known as Sherman Hank" just give me an off feeling...

Last edited by Treia; 06-4-2011 at 07:07 AM..
Treia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-4-2011, 10:20 AM   #27
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Laptop all the way. I used to love handwriting things, but it just gets way to messy because I like to edit as I go. Arrows stars rainbows and horseshoes to figure out what sentence i want where, followed by shitty handwriting that I have a hard time reading = cluster****.
My new but cheap laptop battery lasts 3+ hours if I'm just writing.
I honestly don't think i could do the writing staying at home. I guess I figured out that working at home was never for me from university though. All my writing after I was out of residence for school (which was a fair bit), I went to the library to do. Music helps me too, I turn it on after I get ennuie (a couple hours) and it totally helps.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #28
AquaTeen
FFR Player

I'm writing a book as well... an autobiography to be precise but my motivation to write is the fact that I'm sharing my story and everything I've been through and here's where the motivation comes in I motivate myself to write by thinking about how many lives will be saved after my book is released so I better do it right the first time and that's where the motivation comes in
To live is Christ, to die is gain Philippians 1:21 ♥
AquaTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #29
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

An old method of finding inspiration has finally resurfaced for me. Listening to specific kinds of music, especially music I have not heard, will spark incredibly rich ideas. I now keep a notebook close at hand to scratch down my inspirations whenever they might occur, as I listen to music in nearly every single waking hour--seven days a week.

I have had a world developing in my head for nearly 7 years, which has constantly evolved-- for example from a simple continent to a planet the size of our sun--, and I have some very unique ideas (as far as I know) that I have been writing down for nearly 3 years. I'm slowly developing not just one but 3 stories. I have a few plans, and I'm hoping to share the first chapter of all three books with you all in a few months. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTeen View Post
...I motivate myself to write by thinking about how many lives will be saved after my book is released...
Are you implying that your life has lessons that many people would benefit learning indirectly? If so, elaborate? Sounds very interesting.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTeen View Post
I'm writing a book as well... an autobiography to be precise but my motivation to write is the fact that I'm sharing my story and everything I've been through and here's where the motivation comes in I motivate myself to write by thinking about how many lives will be saved after my book is released so I better do it right the first time and that's where the motivation comes in
I assume you're stockpiling the limited quantities of punctuation in existence for you book.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!

Last edited by MalReynolds; 07-13-2011 at 12:58 PM..
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #31
DarknessXoXLight
sonder
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DarknessXoXLight

I figured out the secret last night. Sleep deprivation. Gets the best ideas from me. :P But it's not healthy haha.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #32
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Gah, I can't start writing my my next book! I've got the idea, I love it, I have characters in mind, I've got scenes in mind. I know that if I get into the habit again I can do it.

Also, how's the writing coming along zageron?