Default Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

Michael Harrison - Seven Sacred Names

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #1282
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Day 845: Inside (The Songs) by Bo Burnham (Album Choice: barfood)

I don't watch a lot of standup in general, so I couldn't give you an answer on the quality of any specials without feeling dishonest and/or underqualified. Most of the people I hear referred to as greats such as Louis C.K, Bill Burr or Alex Jones/Bill Hicks I don't find to be funny onstage whatsoever, and I find these guys funny in their roles OFF the stage. Louie was one of the most important television shows ever (before the whole masturbation thing) and definitely changed the landscape for what constitutes a sitcom permanently, I think F is For Family is hilarious and heartwrenching, and of course, the conspiracy theory on the last guy is hilarious.

But anyways, onto this album.

I have not watched any of Burnham's other specials, so I can't even make that comparison. What I do remember him for most recently is his role as a pediatrician in Promising Young Woman, which I think he nailed, but most importantly, he created and starred in the MTV one-season wonder Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous, which is still fucking hilarious and should've been on Comedy Central or FXX or something, not the fucking Jersey Shore/Teen Mom/Ridiculousness channel for crying out loud.

This album is two-thirds as long as the Netflix special, which seems crazy upon first glance but from what I can tell this guy's specialty is combining music with standup so that's less odd when put into context. It also makes sense why so many of these songs seem to end without so much as a fade out, instead just smash cutting to silence or into the next song immediately. And as a standalone special without the accompanying visuals or spoken setups/punchlines, this is... not my thing. Another guy I know described it as woke Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace and he's honestly pretty right. This shit isn't funny most of the time, and I can't even tell if it's trying to be funny or if he's just trying to be didactic in hopes of getting any potential audience to nod and agree. The production is also very, very bland. Some of the more synthesizer heavy songs are fun, but not all, and a majority of the more folksy singer-songwriter cuts didn't even make me crack a smile.

I'm gonna have to revisit this album after I watch the special, in the meantime

Best Track: Bezos I
Rating: 4/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 06-23-2021 at 11:49 AM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:12 AM   #1283
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Gojira has a new album
Old 06-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #1284
rayword45

Day 846: Call Me If You Get Lost by Tyler, The Creator

Gotta keep my entry level art hipster taste up to date. This feels largely like a throwback to the pre-Flower Boy days, albeit a lot more mature and definitely less bloated (though still somewhat bloated, although it's the longer tracks that tend to be the best oddly enough). It's not as good as the last two.

Actually I lied, it's better then regular Igor but not when you pitch shift that one. Anyways, I enjoyed it, we'll see if I love it more over time.

Best Track: Sweet / I Thought You Wanted to Dance
Rating: 7.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #1285
rayword45

Day 847: Celestia EP by Durante & Hana

Someone told me that Grimes dropped a new album and morbid curiosity hit me but it looks like it's just a remix album so instead I clicked one of the collaborators and decided to check out their latest release.

And this is short but I like it pretty good. Basically what I need after a long night of sweaty minimal techno.

Best Track: title
Rating: 8/10

Old 06-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #1286
rayword45

Day 848: Sin City by Ski Mask The Slump God

I remember when this guy beat the shit out of Lil B right around the time he released a mixtape or album or something called The Bigger Man, then caught major internet rap nerd backlash. Funny stuff.

But nobody cares about that controversy now, and people still adore his music. I've never been a huge fan nor a hater, and this release pretty much just confirms my same opinion. There are some great ideas in here, there's a good variance of moods, but the production is pretty poor throughout, and although I like that the songs are short and don't overstay their welcome, they could definitely use a little bit of just, like, fleshing out these ideas. You have everything from hard party bangers to more melodic cuts in here but with few exceptions, they feel underdeveloped.

He should beat up Lil B again just to catch the public eye.

Best Track: The Matrix
Rating: 5/10

Old 06-29-2021, 12:27 PM   #1287
rayword45

Default Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 849: Memoryland by CFCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Day 615: Liquid Colors by CFCF (Album Choice: noname219)

This seems to keep the same tempo throughout the entire album. The whole thing flows incredibly well track-to-track and in a way, it's resultantly extremely same-y yet in spite of that, I found myself mesmerized throughout the entire album even upon multiple consecutive listens. The atmosphere is basically "commercialized future" in a way similar to vaporwave except this clearly has more thought put into each individual track and doesn't rely so heavily on samples. The mostly seamless playback basically morphs this whole thing into one big piece, aided heavily by the similar melodies and tempos, and it's about the perfect length for what it's trying to achieve.

Definitely enjoying this a lot right now, although it could be my stressed out, overworked state of mind resulting in bias due to how well this works as study music. Will definitely revisit to see how it holds up before the end of the year, although I probably won't tell y'all.

Best Track: Translucently Happy
Well I relistened to that before listening to this newer one twice, and boy is it different. This is basically just pure nostalgia bait... but I gotta say that I love it. When I saw it was 70 minutes I wanted to cry but there was enough variance and the longer tracks rarely overstayed their welcome SOMEHOW while the short tracks didn't feel like filler. The variance of feels from Daft Punk-esque throwbacks to breakbeats to indie rock type stuff all worked here for me. This is what the new Sweet Trip album wishes it was.

I'm gonna be real generous here, and that's not solely because somehow it got me to enjoy hearing the disembodied voice from Kero Kero Bonito. Actually, this gave me a similar emotional reaction to that DJ Metatron release from last year.

Best Track: End—Curve of Forgetting
Rating: 9/10

Old 06-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #1288
rayword45

Day 850: Voyage Out by Floaties

And this is an example of a serious lack of mood variation right here. Maybe I'm not the ideal math rock fan but this sounds like something I would've enjoyed more in 2015 but still found boring. Be more atonal.

Best Track: they all sound the same
Rating: 5/10

Old 06-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #1289
rayword45

Day 851: A Common Turn by Anna B Savage

This is pretty good even though I came in expecting to be totally bored. I'm not saying anything else.

Best Track: A Common Tern
Rating: 7.5/10

Old 06-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #1290
rayword45

Day 852: The Turning Wheel by SPELLLING

On the other hand, this one is as of right now highly overrated by the hipster masses. I enjoyed a few tracks, mostly the ones that sound more like prog rock, even though I hate prog rock. The rest of the time I was either annoyed or bored. What is this supposed to sound like? An opera? A broadway play? A Disney movie?

I can appreciate that a ton of craftsmanship went into this, and when it was good (about 3 tracks, maybe 4) I legitimately enjoyed it, but it mostly just got on my nerves.

Best Track: Magic Act
Rating: 4.5/10

Old 07-1-2021, 10:19 AM   #1291
rayword45

Day 853: "Disco!" by MIKE

I always confuse this guy with Mike WiLL Made-It which is kinda unfair considering they have totally different sounds and this guy, err, sucks a lot less in my opinion.

The inner contrarian in me wants to find the albums that the internet hipster nerds love and hate on them, but I can't hate on this. There's not too much in the way of direct stand-out tracks, but this thing has atmosphere DOWN. It's very similar to what I love about Earl Sweatshirt (no duh, they work together a lot) but this feels significantly more upbeat while still maintaining that hazy, lo-fi vibe to it. Not a single second feels wasted to me here, and all the songs sort of mesh together but in a good way instead of in a "why am I wasting my time here" kind of way.

I can't wait for this long weekend.

Best Track: Big Love or the closer

Old 07-2-2021, 12:15 PM   #1292
rayword45

Day 854: Exodus by DMX

Rest in peace to this guy, many hazy memories wander in my mind from partying on boats to partying in sketchy houses to raving to going to weddings, all where one of his big hits played. The impact he had on social events will never be forgotten. I'm not gonna talk about his past and future influence on hip-hop as a whole because I'm not qualified to talk about it. What I do know is that some of the best moments in my life, and in many people's lives, had one of his big hits playing in the background, and for that I doubt he'll ever be forgotten.

Posthumous albums often feel like a cashgrab, a nihilistic attempt at capitalizing on increased relevance after an artist's untimely death. Does this feel like one? Well... No, I can't really say it feels like that, but there's this plaguing sense that DMX is a guest star on his own album, as many of the other rappers seem to take heavy precedence over him whenever they appear. The beats? They're a mixed bag. Lyrically? Not much to speak of, and you can often tell that his best days were past him. This album in general is fairly mediocre, but I have to say two good things:

1. When the beats hit, they hit, and there's some genuinely enjoyable stuff in here that feels like it's from a different era yet doesn't make me scream "boomer"
2. The ending two tracks are legitimately heavily emotionally affecting and I think a wonderful send off to his life and his career, and a touching tribute to his son.

Overall though, this is just mid. Not great, but at least it doesn't feel like a cheap attempt at utilizing death for profit.

Best Track: Hood Blues
Rating: 5.5/10

Old 07-2-2021, 06:05 PM   #1293
rayword45

Day 855: BLACK METAL 2 by Dean Blunt

What the fuck is this this ain't that guy that Weird Al parodied

It's just as boring tho

Best Track: SKETAMINE

Old 07-7-2021, 01:58 PM   #1294
rayword45

Day 856: Fishmonger by Underscores (Album Choice: freedg)

I thought that the band and album names were swapped at first. I came into this completely blind, and enjoyed the first track but in a way where I thought "damn I can't tell if this is going to be annoying or enjoyably kooky."

And it's both! I have to give a point for eclecticism here, as you really never know what's coming next on this album. Some of it is really, shockingly good, and then a lot of it is annoying. To this day, I still don't understand hyperpop or its appeal for the most part, even if I've liked a few albums I've heard by some artists in that movement like Dorian Electra (did I like that at first? I forget, but I like it now). Those are mostly the annoying parts. The rest jumps from sound, mood and genre to... I'm not finishing that sentence. Anyways, this is yet again mid to me because of how hit-or-miss it is, but I can at least say it's worth trying because it's truly something new.

Also I avoided naming that one hyperpop band that I really hate.

Best Track: the longest one
Rating: 6.5/10

Old 07-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #1295
rayword45

Day 857: Michael Harrison: Seven Sacred Names by Michael Harrison (Album Choice: you can just look back in the thread)

Okay boomer I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take this all in in one piece or if I'm supposed to take them individually but you caught me at a rare moment where I decided to super-actively listen and focus on an album THRICE. And you win because I really liked all of these pieces except for Sami.

I think my bad mental health state is part of why I devoted complete attention to this release so many times in such a short timeframe. That or I just don't know or feel like knowing how to write about stuff like this.

Best Track: Qadr

Last edited by rayword45; 07-10-2021 at 02:27 PM..
Old 07-11-2021, 01:23 AM   #1296
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

LCY - Pulling Teeth

a more fair rec for your attention span

Old 07-11-2021, 01:24 AM   #1297
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

Also you're definitely supposed to take it all in one piece I'm glad you liked it

Old 07-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #1298
rayword45

Day 858: Times by SG Lewis

I found this one because my friend was playing one of his songs on our way to rave and I really, really liked it so I decided to check it out.

This one I'm going to have to relisten to a bunch, it reminds me a lot of my now old favorite Prom King but some of these tracks were pretty boring, while others captured some of that same weird nostalgic "god I want to go out and party to this" vibe that that aforementioned Skylar Spence project or, like, Jessie Ware captured. A real mixed bag for me.

The show Corporate on Comedy Central shouldn't have been cancelled it describes how I feel every weekday.

Best Track: All We Have
Rating: 7/10

Old 07-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #1299
rayword45

Day 859: Escapades by Gaspard Auge

I was on Spotify looking for old classics because I was feeling real low on the brain chemicals and wanted some nostalgia and upon a search I went "wait, what the fuck, there's a new Justice album this year? Why the fuck hadn't I heard?"

And then I looked online and saw that no, this isn't a Justice album, this is the debut solo album of one half and as far as I can tell the other guy doesn't make any appearances whatsoever. That is certainly not the same so fuck you Spotify. You got me cautiously excited for nothing!

I know only like 2 people read this shit so to whoever wants to mock my love of the French House duo, FUCK YOU I WILL NEVER STOP LOVING CROSS AND I'LL EVEN DEFEND WOMAN. I can't say I enjoyed that 2011 one at all though. Anyways, I really came into this with my expectations too high, but then I relowered my expectations in my head and... yeah this is still mostly sucky or mediocre. I have to say that at certain points it even sounds... cheesy? And it's not like Justice never sounded cheesy but here it's just kinda like, it sounds almost like production music, but in a lame way because I like quite a bit of ExtremeMusic.com music a lot more than this. There were some hits, but they were few and far between.

Still though, this gives me hope I can see this guy live which will then beat Uffie for closest I've seen to Justice live. Probably won't be as good of a show though, maybe because I'll definitely be far more sober. I hope.

Best Track: Belladone

Old 07-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #1300
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

I will die stanning Cross