Old 08-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #41
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: WAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Famous, beloved and universally accepted as great white people were also trash and we noticed
There's....a lot to unpack here and truthfully speaking I feel any effort to do so is gonna go unappreciated so I'll just leave it at " hard disagree" and move on.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #42
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

i don't mean to imply that anyone's being racist or sexist but moreso to point at the sociological phenomena that lead us to hold women (and specifically women of color) to different standards. i'm sorry if my opinion offended you, dynam0

and also to those who dislike the song, that doesn't mean you're racist or sexist either. music taste is subjective.

you're all free to disagree with my opinion. my take is just my opinion on the song after all, and i'm glad that you guys are engaging with me

edit: miley cyrus is actually an interesting counterexample. i'd argue that in the bangerz era she attempted to appropriate black culture as well, but she did so very crudely and distastefully (e.g. god awful twerking). in her latest ep she tried to get into rapping as well. i'm not sure what her music persona really is at the moment-- she seems to be everywhere
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 08-13-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #43
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
music today is indeed very sexist, and women-- especially black women-- are often objectified.
music today can be pretty bigoted in general, like migos have dropped at least two tracks where they spout off some homophobia and then you got tards like lil dirk dropping bars about how "if she say no I ain't hearin it"

Quote:
when people decry this song, they call it trashy. specifically, trashy. that's not the wording we use when a male singer makes a sexually explicit song, or when a woman is sexualized in a male singer's music video... or when a white or white passing woman makes a sexually explicit music video. i think this points towards the intersection of racism and sexism in both the music industry and in society as a whole.
dunno about this one, miley cyrus got fuckin owned for that stage performance with the blurred lines dude
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #44
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
There's....a lot to unpack here and truthfully speaking I feel any effort to do so is gonna go unappreciated so I'll just leave it at " hard disagree" and move on.
You don't think Cardi B is universally appreciated? Look at the view counts, likes, etc. She's clearly "winning the game".

My point is if an artist does something provocative for its own sake, a lot of people are going to call it trashy. There's really nothing more to analyse further than that. This just happens to be a case where a woman of colour does this. Bringing race and sex into this is really just making a fuss from nothing imo.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #45
s1rnight
( ŻuŻ)-b
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to s1rnight Send a message via Skype™ to s1rnight

its a cool song, i like how rhythmically fluent all the verses are. all the speaking parts are flying between different singers and different triplets...
Old 08-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #46
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
dunno about this one, miley cyrus got fuckin owned for that stage performance with the blurred lines dude
yes she did. All women get shamed for displaying sexuality. But that doesn't mean that black women aren't shit on more frequently, and with heavier scrutiny. White women can "get away with more" where black women will be more likely to be shamed over something minor.

And I'm not saying that people are consciously doing this (tho some certainly are). It's ingrained within our society and culture, for people's default reactions and assumptions about people to differ based on gender or race.

That's the thing about intersectionality. We as women do share that common experience of being shamed, POC share certain experiences, and women POC have their own unique intersection of experiences.

Good example I can think of: Janet Jackson and the wardrobe malfunction. I watched that live and uh, if anyone actually remembers the performance, JUSTIN rips the bustier off janet's bust during a performance of HIS song. Where the line HE sings is "gonna have you naked by the end of this song".

Yet Janet got allllllllll the blame for the "malfunction". Nobody thought "maybe Justin ripped too hard?" and blamed him. Nobody thought "maybe the seamstress made a mistake?" and blamed them. The world saw a black women with her boob out and blamed her, entirely her. When she probably had little to no say in what actually happened since it was a giant production choreographed by her and Justin's teams. Yet Janet takes the blame... hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected

Last edited by mellonxcollie; 08-13-2020 at 11:26 AM..
mellonxcollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #47
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
edit: miley cyrus is actually an interesting counterexample. i'd argue that in the bangerz era she attempted to appropriate black culture as well, but she did so very crudely and distastefully (e.g. god awful twerking). in her latest ep she tried to get into rapping as well. i'm not sure what her music persona really is at the moment-- she seems to be everywhere
also re: miley being criticized. there were a lot of layers to that.

as FG pointed out, she was being called out for cultural appropriation at the same time. The other thing was the very rape-y lyrics and tone of the song. and then the way she was dressed in opposition to her male co-singer, who was in a full suit while she was wearing a flesh-coloured panty set

That performance was using Miley's sexuality to the benefit of her male co-singer. It didn't have the same feeling of female empowerment as many of these other anthems including WAP. it just seemed generally messy and "wtf are you doing". I know that misogyny definitely went into a lot of criticism of Miley but there was some real stuff there, too

Quote:
Old 08-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #48
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

imagine listening to cardi b and not three six mafia
Old 08-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #49
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledwix View Post
There is no "sexist power structure." Society is the collection of individual decisions made. Don't blame society, blame yourself. It cuts far deeper than the "Western society = bad" memes propagated by professors. This is evolutionary principle at play here.
So first you say this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledwix View Post
Women are free to shave their heads, dress like guys, and act stoic, since guys will turn away from them more often or assume they are gay.

But most choose not to, because every decision has consequences, and most women have judged the advantages as worth it. That's largely because when you live as a man, no one chases you around competing to give you free stuff. Your comfort isn't even an entity of consideration. Your value is not innate, but vested in your continued ability to toil away, skillfully working hard to produce a result. Your value is in your talents, not in simply existing.

So most women like to be a prize; not a mere prize, but at LEAST a prize. There's nothing wrong with that, as you might as well use every advantage you have.
and then you give a clear example of 'sexist power structures' while simultaneosly claiming that they don't exist. I know how much people like you love to jerk off 'individual decisions' and somehow believe that libertarian free will exists, but it's simply a fact that people make decisions for a reason. If you grow up in a society where women are almost universally viewed as objects to be won and men to be emotionless workhorses, of course you're probably going to hold those views yourself. Just like how you'd probably be quite racist if you grew up in the south in the 1800s. Assuming that you don't think these sexist attitudes are good, they can obviously still be changed on a societal level, even if it's made up of 'individual decisions'.

Last edited by Walrusizer; 08-13-2020 at 02:04 PM..
Walrusizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #50
kalibee
FFR Player

Because I have children, I've seen the newest argument about WAP (ahem Ben Shap- nvm). No matter what my children come across, I will tell them that this is how they choose to express themselves, period. It's not my job to enforce my own opinions on my children. They'll grow up into their own person whether I like it or not, and enforcing my beliefs onto them is where severe childhood depression and anxiety come to play. Don't even get me started on how, at 8 years old, I had free reign on the world wide web lol

I came out alright heh
kalibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #51
IwasAsquidOnce
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to IwasAsquidOnce

its catchy
IwasAsquidOnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #52
BigHayden1
D7 Elite Keymasher

i dont understand the ben shapiro memes from WAP
BigHayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #53
Bolth mannn
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi40 View Post
imagine listening to cardi b and not three six mafia
Imagine listening to music and not investing in TSLA shares
Old 08-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #54
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHayden1 View Post
i dont understand the ben shapiro memes from WAP
it's because his wife who is a ~doctor~ said that women who have wet pussies must be ill and have a yeast infection or something

so basically ben shapiro has never satisfied his wife, literally confirmed BY HIM in an attempt at a.... brag?

its the funniest fucking thing to ever happen

Quote:
Old 08-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #55
BigHayden1
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
it's because his wife who is a ~doctor~ said that women who have wet pussies must be ill and have a yeast infection or something

so basically ben shapiro has never satisfied his wife, literally confirmed BY HIM in an attempt at a.... brag?

oh, well i remember seeing a meme where it was smithers being twerked on by 2 girls and the caption was "if megan thee stallion and cardi b see ben shapiro after WAP" or some shit
BigHayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #56
Dynam0
The Dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post

lmao what a guy

Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:30 PM   #57
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

since when are music videos and music the same thing
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #58
WildZapdos
FFR Player

i will always appreciate the alt-right's incredibly overreaching efforts to give as much exposure as possible to everything that's seen by at least 5 people and challenges their worldviews
WildZapdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #59
ULTIMEGA
Torn to oblivion!

This. Song. Sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
@ULTIMEGA, dank meme genie.

HIGHEST AAA:Necropotence [90]
HIGHEST SDG: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
HIGHEST FC: Six Acid Strings [101]
HIGHEST SCORE: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
ULTIMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #60
melonpapes
FFR Player

bump