Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk

Old 08-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Default do you agree with this news source bias chart?

yes or no or how much and why?

i think there were some updates since this version, but generally it looks the same so w/e
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra
Default Re: do you agree with this news source bias chart?

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian but it's interesting I've heard about a lot of the ones on the left, but very few of the ones on the right

Also I thought time was more liberal, but I've also never read it so hey
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

BBC "minimal" partisan bias... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

You dont simply agree with a chart without the study that lead to it. Who financed the study, who did it, etc. I could go look it up but my point is you should also present that info if asking peoples' opinion on it.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
You dont simply agree with a chart without the study that lead to it. Who financed the study, who did it, etc. I could go look it up but my point is you should also present that info if asking peoples' opinion on it.
This chart was made by some woman named Vanessa Otero. According to her Twitter, she's a patent attorney. She talks about her methodology here: http://www.adfontesmedia.com/methodology-posts/

It isn't research that received a ton of funding and then was peer reviewed for inclusion in a journal. She doesn't really have the authority to say that people should listen to her chart.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
Maybe it's because I'm Canadian but it's interesting I've heard about a lot of the ones on the left, but very few of the ones on the right

Also I thought time was more liberal, but I've also never read it so hey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
BBC "minimal" partisan bias... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Personally I'm in the camp that believes some news sources are more liberal than this chart lets on.

also celery im so sorry ur canadian
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 08-23-2018 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: i stopped spelling at some point idk
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

CNN should be at least as far left as MSNBC

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
komochii
Banned

idk half of these but like... I reaaaaallly wanna put the owners of infowars and patribotics in a room and watch them fight lol
komochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSM View Post
CNN should probably be farther to the left, basically like saxrunner said
but also more into the orange rectangle rather than borderline, a little bit below buzzfeed.
Some of these dont really make sense either (Like BBC being "Mainstream" when it should be more towards the left then what is displayed on the graph here.)

Vox should be moved left, i dont feel as if they are simply on the borderline between "skews liberal" and "hyper partisan liberal", not toosure about their articles so im gonna go off their videos here, they ultimately seem a lot more left leaning than the graph implies.

I would make the suggestion that Fox News and Daily Wire switch places, and that daily wire is very slightly moved left, it wouldnt change much on what they lean towards because they are very obviously a conservative based news source, fox news, a little bit more left than daily wire, but it would be the same case as daily wire.

Breitbart is actual garbage and should probably be put more right.

just my 2 cents

some of these i dont even read whatsoever so i cant make comments on em
You give absolutely 0 intellectual content, just saying. At least come up with legit arguments if you're gonna "suggest" changes to a set and parameterized study lol

I read about half the study and some things I can only assume because of the references to books I havent read. However I can't say I agree with the premise that because many decisions are binary and those are better understood we should study media bias on a 2 dimension scale. It might reach more americans because of the heavy seperation between liberal/conservative in the population, but saying that those who aren't in that spectrum simply fall in the middle no matter what reduces the meaning of the middle section. Unless you define liberal and conservative ideas to be a 100% coverage of the possible political trends/ideas, you fail to distinguish those that simply don't fall into either of the 2 categories.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I was going to say that "garbage" is a quality rating (a spectrum from "trash" to "treasure") and that "partisan" is an ideological rating (a spectrum from "skewed ideologically liberal" to "skewed ideologically conservative"), but the creators seem to have acknowledged this equivocation already and fixed their mistake:

Quote:
The “skew conservative” and “skew liberal” categories no longer have the parenthetical comment “(but still reputable),” mostly because the term “reputable” has more to do with quality on the vertical axis, and I’m doing my best not to conflate the two. The “hyper-partisan conservative” and “hyper-partisan liberal” categories no longer have the parenthetical comments “(expressly promotes views),” mostly because “promoting views” is not the only characteristic that makes something hyper-partisan. Finally, the outermost liberal and conservative “utter garbage/conspiracy theories” categories are now re-labeled “most extreme liberal/conservative.” This is, again, because the terms “utter garbage” and “conspiracy theories,” though often accurate for sources in those columns, has more to do with quality than partisanship.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

other thoughts:

Reason isn't particularly conservative or liberal -- its ideological bias skews libertarian. As such I think it belongs in the center, or perhaps center-right.

It's bizarre to me that The Economist is anything but center. It's been an explicitly centrist publication for years.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #11
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

I am really conservative and I think that everything is just more friggin' liberal propaganda.