Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-7-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Recommend me a good coding laptop

Not using this for gaming at all, just looking for pure speed and lots of memory here. Any recs?

Edit: Only interested in Windows (I dislike Macs and I'm not a Linux guy)
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me a good coding laptop

If you're really serious about this, you should definitely have some kind of Linux on your system, even if it's just dual-boot or even a virtual machine. I like Windows too, but having Linux available has saved my ass several times. So many obscure software products (including programming languages) say they're for both Windows and Linux but were specifically designed with a Linux interface in mind, and it shows. It's the difference between trying to get through useless installation instructions that end up just asking you to do it in cygwin anyway, and typing an install and make command in the console.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

MacBook Pro

trololo

(I and 90% of my colleagues use it at work)

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

leonid: why?

qq: I've tried and tried to like using linux, i just can't stand it. too much involved in doing the simplest of OS commands
Old 03-7-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
qq: I've tried and tried to like using linux, i just can't stand it. too much involved in doing the simplest of OS commands
That's why you probably shouldn't have it as your main. But it's definitely worth having around and getting used to. You can always go for something non-hardcore like Ubuntu.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
That's why you probably shouldn't have it as your main. But it's definitely worth having around and getting used to. You can always go for something non-hardcore like Ubuntu.
Ubuntu was what I was using. :(

Every time I use Linux, it's the same routine: I can't do simple things like copy/paste, and I have to type in the full paths to damn near everything (I prefer using a GUI over command line/terminal constantly). I always battle permissions issues, and installing software is a pain in the ass. NOPE YOU DON'T HAVE THESE DEPENDENCIES ERROR ERROR CAN'T INSTALL -- now I have to go fish around and install all these random subprograms. More often than not, one or more packages won't install correctly. Now I have to go off to find a Linux forum somewhere packed to the brim with sarcastic programmer types where it takes ten years to get a simple question answered.

So I just stick to Windows, which is what I know, and I can get everything working (and working well).
Old 03-7-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

What cost are you trying to stay around? Is screen size and weight a factor?

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 08:03 AM..
ELRayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I definitely don't want a massive-screen/heavy laptop. I bought one of those in the past and it was like carrying a large bear around (I think it was 17.3 inches or something like that -- uber cumbersome).

As for cost, eh, I'd like to keep as low as possible for what I want (i.e. I don't need a beastly graphics card or anything). To my understanding this is more of an investment in solid states, high-end CPU's, and RAM. I wouldn't want to go above $2k, but I'd rather stick to the $1k end if it can be done.
Old 03-7-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Contrary to popular belief, you can get by with fairly modest hardware for most programming needs, as long as it meets at least the minimal requirements of whatever tools you plan on using. Also consider having a 64-bit processor and OS as part of your minimal requirements if you do plan on making 64-bit executables (You can make 32-bit executables under a 64-bit system). For your needs, a computer with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 is probably desirable.

Exceptions are generally if you're making very graphics-intensive software or if the software you are making legitimately needs tons of RAM (but don't just get lazy and write RAM-hog code if it's not justified).

One benefit to programming on a lower-end machine is you can be reasonably certain that if your program runs well enough on that machine, that it should run well on low-end AND high-end machines. The reverse is not true. Though you should test your programs on multiple machines anyway, if possible.

Also, Cygwin's not bad. If you absolutely do not want to install a Linux or similar OS but for some reason need to do something "UNIX-Y" for whatever reasons, it's certainly a viable option for the occasional "UNIX-Y" task. It can take a very long time to install what you'll want into Cygwin though, although it depends on what things you want. Also, be patient.

Or, basically, I would say use a low-end recent-ish machine which meets at least the requirements of whatever tools you plan on using, unless you're specifically going to be making software which has legitimate needs for something beefier. Pretty much, unless you're planning on making high-end graphics-intensive 3-D games or graphics software, high-end music creation software, high-end database software, or similar, you probably don't need the beef.

----------------EDIT---------------

Also, I'd avoid Samsung laptops, specifically because there were some incidents of Samsung laptop models being vulnerable to hardware bricking via software exploit. We're talking swapping out the hard drive won't fix this one, lol. They may have fixed some of that -- I don't know -- but you'd have to do your research in any case to make sure you weren't buying a brickable model.

Also, I'd recommend avoiding Ubuntu as far as Linux distributions go. Older Ubuntu is fine (though no longer supported and thus no longer recommended) but newer Ubuntu has made some decisions which really ticked off the Linux community at large -- namely the Unity interface is unintuitive and unpopular and by default newer Ubuntu will send info to Amazon and possibly others - aka basically bundled spyware. I know you said you weren't interested in using Linux and I only mention this since Ubuntu was recommended above.

In truth, if you only occasionally need to do a "UNIX-Y" thing, then Cygwin is probably good enough. It is also no more difficult to set up than a Linux distro and may be easier.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by UserNameGoesHere; 03-7-2013 at 08:54 AM..
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834310657 $700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=20-148-526 $200 SSD

i7 Dual Core w/ HT boost up to 3.0GHZ with 8gb It is using a caching msata SSD and should return pretty good read/write speeds as is. If you want you can add a beefy SSD and still stay under 1000.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834200694
This guy has an i7 Quad with 8gb and 1 TB HDD for 800 add a SSD from above and still under 1000. Ram speeds on this one are ddr3 1600 so will be overall much faster. I would go with this one if ultramobility is not a concern.

You will need to install the SSD on both units and load windows back on it. Pretty easy task nowadays, but, if you need we here in Bits and Bytes can help!

Note* Swapping to a SSD negates the original HDD that came with system. With this in mind you should purchase USB external HDD enclosure and throw it in there for storage.

I am not sure that these systems support 16 GB RAM upgrades. I will have to verify it first. Either way 16GB is only $90. Well worth the upgrade if supported. 8 GB should be more than enough for laptop use. Even with running a couple VMs this should not run out of memory. You can always increase the Page File if needed. With HDD's this isn't a very good solution, but, with the increase of SSD speeds it can help. (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Here are some that are over the 1K budget but have a little bit more to offer in terms of performance. Yes, slow morning at the shop xD

12GB, i7 Quad, SLI Nvidia 650M's 1 TB for $1150 (add 200 for 256 SSD). Only go this route if you must have more than 8GB RAM and want to gaem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834312440

For shits and giggles and to take everywhere you go: i7 Dual Core w/HT 8GB RAM 256 SSD!! 13" LCD 3.77 lbs. lol ultrabooks. I would buy this one if I was going to develop AND need mobility It has the performance and speed that I think you would need and it weighs less than 4lbs. If mobility is not a concern it is better to go with normal laptop and not an ultrabook. Less cooling,greater repair prices, and lack of upgrade options.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834127890

If you have not used a 13" Laptop, I suggest going to a BigBox store and demo one. I personally hate a small screen.

For some Apple lulz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834100224 Price Vs performance level:APPLE 2K for 1K worth of shit. feelsmacman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
Also, I'd avoid Samsung laptops, specifically because there were some incidents of Samsung laptop models being vulnerable to hardware bricking via software exploit.
There is an update for this as of now. However, most of the Samsung computers you will be purchasing do NOT have the update loaded. If you do become victim of this, they will replace under warranty if you bring it up AND your model is affected. Also, Samsungs are not fun to repair. They are almost as bad as Apple.

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: welp back to work xD
Old 03-7-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

PS if it matters any, this is my current laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230202

So I'd want to put together something that smokes this

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-7-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 03-7-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
PS if it matters any, this is my current laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230202

So I'd want to put together something that smokes this
Upgrade laptop to a SSD. If it is stock you have a 5400RPM spinny. WIll see huge increase in load/save times with SSD upgrade.

Build a desktop if you really want to smoke what you have.

$2,000 laptops hiyoooooooooooo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834200671

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 03-7-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

fuck now I have no idea what to get

I know desktops are better bang for buck but I rarely use the desktop I have anymore -- I'm always out and about here in the city and so it's nice to have a good laptop. Only reason I use the desktop is to game (which I rarely do anymore) or take advantage of its 12 GB RAM (which I wouldn't need to do with a better laptop anyway)
Old 03-7-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

In terms of what you are doing with your laptop, it is hard to really top its performance. Going with a quad core i7 with 1600mhz ram and SSD will net you more gains over all. Most laptops with more than 8GB support are going to be geared towards gaming and be heavy as fuc. The lighter you go the less potential performance you will have. DISREGARD THAT I SUCK DIX

You may want to check out Sager laptops. They do a custom build per customer. The NP2252 series might be a good starting point.

Go to link, select the following upgrades:

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz
IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound - CPU
w/e OS u want
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8GB
512GB Crucial M4 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive
It is a 15.6" LED so I would assume it is around 5-7 lbs.
should be around 1300

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-7-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The "DELL XPS XPS 15 (XPS15-9474sLV) Notebook Intel Core i7 3632QM(2.20GHz) 15.6" 16GB Memory DDR3 1600 1TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD 5400rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M " looks pretty sexy, but how is that processor compared to my "Intel Core i5 2410M(2.30GHz)"?

$2k though hrng
Old 03-7-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Yours is 3M cache dual core supporting only 1333 RAM 2nd gen
Dell is 6M cache QUAD supporting 1600 RAM 3rd gen (lower power consumption overall, smaller architecture aka more transistors on chip.)

Def check out my links on the Sager setup. You can get i7 quad with 16gb 1600MHZ RAM 512GB SSD with integrated video for like 1300. p good deal.

Also, Intel should be releasing the next gen of CPUs in or around this July. Might be worth the wait ^_^

Compared to Ivy Bridge (expected):

Twice the vector processing performance.
At least 10% sequential CPU performance increase (8 execution ports per core versus 6).
Up to double the performance of the integrated GPU. (Haswell GT3 vs Ivy Bridge HD4000)

LOL WIKI SOURCE

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Old 03-7-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I am far too lazy to wait -- if it were just a month or so, yeah, but July sufficiently far away for me.

How are these Sager laptops comparably cheaper? $1319 is what I get -- this is definitely acceptable. Any caveats to this?

Also, debating W7 Home Premium 64 bit (what I currently use) and W8 64-bit

Also lol $50 off $1350... need to find something to kick it up so I can pay $1300ish

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-7-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Old 03-7-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I am far too lazy to wait -- if it were just a month or so, yeah, but July sufficiently far away for me.

How are these Sager laptops comparably cheaper? $1319 is what I get -- this is definitely acceptable. Any caveats to this?

Also, debating W7 Home Premium 64 bit (what I currently use) and W8 64-bit

Also lol $50 off $1350... need to find something to kick it up so I can pay $1300ish
Sager is what alienware was should have been. Keep in mind this is intel integrated GPU. I can honestly say I have never had to repair a Sager. Only had to upgrade them as far as RAM and SSD are concerned. Pretty solid underrated company IMO. You can also call these guys and chat it up with em. Usually very good support. Adding the windows 7 or extended warranty should bring you over the 1350.

The downsides are: This system is at FULL spec. No upgrades other than Drives will be available. Unless they release a BIOS update 16GB will be your max. Never will be able to add a dedicated GPU IIRC. These are all trivials issues that you may not need to worry about. Also, non modular parts will only be available from Sager. (motherboards, cables, and rare shit that shouldn't need replacing.) I do believe they ship out in a week or two max. I've heard both 3 day and 10 business day ships from them.

Just make sure you are getting the 512 SSD upgrade, the 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM upgrade, and the 16gb RAM upgrade. The ic diamond 7 Thermal compound is nice. Windows 7 pro comes up to 1379, $1,329.00 after -50 xD

Last edited by ELRayford; 03-7-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-7-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Win7 and Win8 cost the same

I guess maybe I can tack on the dead-pixel thing because it'll be free after the $-50 rebate anyway

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-7-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-7-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

15.6" HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1366 x 768) -
Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing
Intel GMA HD Integrated Graphics with Share Memory Architecture up to 1.7GB
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz)
IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound - CPU
Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8GB
512GB Crucial M4 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Smart Li-ION Battery Pack

$1369 (minus 50) -> $1319

Correct?

edit: The $1379 is if I ditch the dead pixels thing and upgrade to Professional -- is Professional worth it over HP? (I think I've only ever used HP)

EDIT:
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl..._professional/

Dead pixels isn't a *huge* concern for me anyway (this is mostly just coding after all and I don't think the pixels are likely. I came across a forum that I'm too lazy to hash up where some rep said it's rare anyway but some people just like the peace of mind). So I'll probably take your rec and go with Professional.

EDIT3:
Ahh Professional also has Remote access. Might be a nice to have.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-7-2013 at 12:26 PM..