Old 08-3-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Mister_Raccoon
FFR Player

Default Is there a Support FFR option?

As I keep saying, over and over again, I used to play this back in the day too.
I love the work you guys have done since my departure and am quite elated that not only is FFR still a thing, but that there's still more being added and expanded upon. Still a thing and thriving!

That said, surely there's a way I can show my appreciation by throwing some moolah your way from time to time, no? Perhaps by making credits available for purchase (selfish reason: I don't remember my old login and I'd like some of my purchased songs back)? A merch store? Anything?
Mister_Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
badman7772
It happens for a reason.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Is there a Support FFR option?

FFR used to have a subscriber feature where you pay like $3.50 a month for exclusive features and songs before release date.

Now it's non-profit and all those features go to veterans now.
Old 08-3-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

You missed the fallout that took place around the time Tasselfoot left the site administration.

Money towards the site is going to be a rare occurrence these days. The staff now is completely volunteer, hosting is paid by Synthlight still as far as I'm aware, and there are no fees being paid out from FFR otherwise for music permissions - therefore no money is needed for the site.

That being said, for the last official tournament there was a fundraiser for prize money, and there have been multiple people asking about making support tokens available again for purchase, so who knows. Maybe something will come up again that you could contribute to?
Old 08-3-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Monetization is a tricky subject for a couple reasons:

The development team is not very active, especially recently. I mean sure, we've got a few awesome people, skilled and passionate people, but they're busy adults going to college or working full-time. This is a volunteer project for a genre of games that is very niche, and when no one does anything... well... nothing gets done.

The political layout of the site is... complex. Need I say more?

The rights that we ask artists for before we get songs on the site does not include commercial rights. Sure, we could put ads up, but then all our music could get pulled because the artists don't like the direction the site is taking. We could just be like osu, and use tons of pirated music, but do we really want that kind of legal attention? Is anyone here qualified to handle that?

Maybe we put up a donation link, but then who gets the money? What does it go towards? More politics.

tl;dr Our community and our circumstance makes monetization a questionable pursuit at best, but we're open to ideas.
2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.
Trumpet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

doubt they'll do anything even close to monetizing and subscriptions with all the copyright shit again after 2009 but who knows. a lot of the permissions seem to have been gotten off of the implication of being 100% non-profit

Last edited by Ohaider; 08-3-2015 at 08:01 PM..
Ohaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
Mister_Raccoon
FFR Player

That makes sense, the part about politics.
Just figured I'd ask. Again, it was partly for selfish reasons as a means to get credits to restore my old songs and maybe to wear a t-shirt only 2 people I know are going to recognize.

Still... I'd like to help when and if needed.
Mister_Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote