Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark
Default WiP Thread

Just a place to post any of your "works in progress". Show off what you've got so far or ask for critiques/help. We all would love to see what you've been creating ;D

Here's something I started working on earlier after watching "Prince of Persia" I really liked the effects that go on when he's using the sands of time, so I decided to try and teach myself how to do something similar.

I'd like to maybe put effects like this to use like how they did in the movie once I refine this a ton and make it look more like the original.

Anyone working on anything at all they have time to share?
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Mythix
Default Re: WiP Thread

I'm currently working on a small game-job.
I've played this game since 2003 and it has alot of fansites around the world, and I've offered all the fansites to make their "in-game" fansite item in 3D.
Plan is just to have people know my name.
In return, I get some ingame stuff I've sold on, but I'm doing this mainly as an material-exercise, but it gives me some incentive knowing people actually want this, I've attached sprites of how they look ingame but you'd have to zoom in to see the pixel colors better... Also I have the ice cube render on 1920~ atm but my ice material has some serious render time. Like I said, testing all sliders and maps to get my result, learning alot
(the game is 2D, google it: Tibia)

So sure, some CC is welcome. Making the TibiaTR logo in photoshop (vectors) which I import as spline models into 3DS max but render is on now and won't be due in some hours!!!111oneone!!exclamationmark1!!

Lol nice dust there DS. Is it possible to make it change colour when hit by a specific color? As your first movie, making the blue change colour when "ignited" by the red one hitting it? (Like lighting up powder)

Cheers!

Another WIP:

This is 100% procedural water made by me and I've tried to include everything (big waves with smaller windmade waves/curls on them again and color reflecting light)

I'll continue on it someday when I know enough to make all the variables slider-able and not just main settings (like IOR and stuff you see in the first menu, things inside the actual modifiers won't key in my sliders)

EDIT: I'm pretty stiff on the materials, the inside/outside of ice cube is two different materials, and so are the hearts.

By the way, DS, you familiar with FOG? It acts sort of weird for me, if gamma is ON, having it on darkest make item transparent, if gamma is OFF, it's the opposite (on any non-white fog colour). Bias does lighten it but also the main colour. I have no trouble with rendering it in either and just adjusting the settings but it's just abit weird it does that and I'm not familiar with fog in gems/ice =p

Last edited by Mythix; 08-28-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Mythix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Pretty decent ice texture you've made there. Ice can have some stupid long render times, ESPECIALLY if you mess with the opacity in the object properties when there's already a refractive material on it. What's this Amanda Marie shit though? Pretty sure that's not your name ;P

What method did you use to fracture the glass in the medallion? Looks like maybe just cut > chamfer edge?

Your water could use some work honestly. It's WAY too noisy. Run through some tuts on how to make white caps in the water, it does wonders for realism.

What fog are you referring to? The VRay material fog?

Yes I can have the particles change color/material at any given event. The entire particle structure is driven by PFlow scripting built into max, along with box#2 and #3, and a few krakatoa/fumefx specific script commands. So I can have them change color based on collision, speed, particle age, distance from a target, pretty much whatever I want.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Pretty decent ice texture you've made there. Ice can have some stupid long render times, ESPECIALLY if you mess with the opacity in the object properties when there's already a refractive material on it. What's this Amanda Marie shit though? Pretty sure that's not your name ;P

What method did you use to fracture the glass in the medallion? Looks like maybe just cut > chamfer edge?

Your water could use some work honestly. It's WAY too noisy. Run through some tuts on how to make white caps in the water, it does wonders for realism.

What fog are you referring to? The VRay material fog?

Yes I can have the particles change color/material at any given event. The entire particle structure is driven by PFlow scripting built into max, along with box#2 and #3, and a few krakatoa/fumefx specific script commands. So I can have them change color based on collision, speed, particle age, distance from a target, pretty much whatever I want.
Amanda Marie is just a the game name that got me famous so I've stuck with it in the game.. Don't ask :\

Fracture is a cellular map (with only edges, I don't have 3DSM here so I can't check the name on the things I edited but it's right next to "size" and causes it to look like tiled ceramic or smt), actually, with really weak displacement there's no actual geometry.

Water is hard for me but I'm working on it

And yeah I mean Vray fog, it sort of defies logic for me atm but I have to use it for the ice texture, for instance. I wanted to make like frozen cracks inside the ice cube but not sure how to do that without geometry.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

If you want frozen cracks inside the cube you'll likely have to cut actual geometry into it. If you get a chance to grab RayFire Tool I'd highly recommend it just for its ability to fracture an object at realistic random spots with a few clicks. It's what I used on my sphere and it came out pretty decent.

As for the fog, I haven't used it in a long time so I'd have to go play with the settings a bit, what effect are you trying to achieve with it? Just a more realistic ice look?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Holy **** modelling intricate details is a pain in the ass.

Obviously these mats are only to separate it while in viewport and remember what's what.
This is what I'm making:

This is modelled without turbosmooth but I think it would have been ALOT easier to just boxmodel it and turbosmooth after on this exact model, instead of using smoothing groups, but like on all the other models I like that it still resembles game graphic-ish so I'll stick with it
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I love 3D so much now. When I get a job doing 3D I'll be so happyface.
I just feel like, it takes so much less time to make everything I want to make, it's like drawing but having to use the eraser less and less for everything I try to make, even when I try new stuff.

Everything is MODELLED on this book because I want some really close shots of it (for the fansite):

CC is VERY highly appreciated, all of these items (part of a 32 item set I'm making) will be published on various fansites with 100k+ viewers. I won't make all of them masterpieces, but I want people to watch all 32 of them and be like "shit that book" or "holy damn that trophy was nice" atleast once or twice and I think I can add -alot- of details to this book to make it look like some heavily bound book of a mighty wizard or something... You get my drift

Last edited by Mythix; 08-30-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

You're definitely getting quicker with modeling it looks like, especially if you're going to be kicking out 32 of these things.

Only thing on the book that stands out to me is the material here:

Maybe make it a shade darker or something, it blends in far too well at this point. Also, add "pages".
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Yeah it's just a box atm, I'm gonna make afew "pergaments" to stick out of it and add a bump map on the box I guess

And yeah those rings annoyed me abit, didn't really stand out enough with the worn leather cover, I'll try to darken them slightly.. Do you think the yellow reflection on the bands/straps holding the book closed is too strong? I can't decide, but I feel like I keep focusing on that point when I look at it..

Hmm perhaps add a stronger AO too.. Well I'm getting faster at modelling but making decisions is as slow as ever, lol. Thanks, will upload a render soon enough

edit: and straps needs some "gravity", perhaps that's why it takes my attention as it's not hanging as you'd expect on an old worn out book

Last edited by Mythix; 08-30-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Final result - fuuu photobucket ruins size and quality AØSKDAØLSIDJ

Ah I found the resize thing, click link to enjoy the actual details
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...rocessed-2.png

Last edited by Mythix; 08-30-2011 at 07:33 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Holy crap that's amazing
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Started creating an intro for The Halo Forums.

This is the particle render that will be the plasma surrounding the grenade. (You have to render particles and geometry separately in Krakatoa)

Last edited by darkshark; 10-9-2011 at 11:25 PM..
Old 10-10-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
BLAZZE
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack
FFR Veteran

^man of skill
Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #14
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

The DOF, added in AE? I struggle with motion blur/DOF in AE, but in max it takes literally 1 hour per frame even with standard mats -.-

Lamborghini Superleggera 2008

EDIT: Changed images to thumbs as they were 1600*x

Last edited by Mythix; 10-10-2011 at 03:13 AM..
Old 10-10-2011, 03:56 AM   #15
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

DoF is straight out of Max. I have a renderfarm, so it's not all that bad lol. Maybe 5 minutes a frame at 720p.

Those rims are hot.

Your grill/airvent mesh seems too big ?_? Maybe that's just me though. Looking sharp! What else is there to do on that lambo?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Tail lights, engine and suspension thing but it's almost done.

Some accuracy issues on the airvents above the wheels so gotta move that 30 cm other than those things it's done with exterior!

Modelled wheel, seat and pedals for interior but nothing for the door/back/belts etc so dark windows for now =p ty
Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

I love everything about that idea except for that font, hate it!

Good stuff all around though. Mythix, sweet ride.

I haven't done anything worth showing in school so far this year. Some realistic looking teeth in illustrator for a poster and that's about it.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:17 AM   #18
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Rendering a final 720p pass tonight, compositing it all tomorrow. Looking pretty sweet so far.

Spenner post dem teef ;D
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #19
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
I love everything about that idea except for that font, hate it!

Good stuff all around though. Mythix, sweet ride.

I haven't done anything worth showing in school so far this year. Some realistic looking teeth in illustrator for a poster and that's about it.
Yeah give us some teeth xD
Also that's the Lamborghini font >;(

And DS lol that looks so awesome D:
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #20
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythix View Post
Yeah give us some teeth xD
Also that's the Lamborghini font >;(
I'm in class, I don't have my finished version handy THEREFORE

lolol perfect gums. The finished one has some more details to make them look like actual gums. It was a stupid project all around though.

And I was talking about the "THF" font on DS's plasma grenade

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote