Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Batch Forum > FFR Songs and Artist Permissions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-2-2008, 10:30 PM   #21
stavie33
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
But if their licensing fees are low enough that they're manageable, and the business model like downloadable services could be applied here, it could be a worthwhile action.

Again, if it's not necessarily profitable, it'd still be good for the site overall. The only question in relation to this is how much would be needed to be charged to get a good match to the licensing investment, and how many people would actually be interested in it.

High profile names would probably be a very hard sell to get a reasonable price for licensing, but I'm sure some of the lower end bands and such would jump at a chance to get a nice chunk of change and have their music meeting more people. Like, yeah if you pay a TON of money and get someone like Led Zepplin (impossible), you wouldn't be able to bring in the cash to even come close to covering your investment, but a business partnership with someone smaller, someone like Rise Against (yeah, I know, you don't have to tell me), the income from sales might well be able to get a lot closer to meeting the investment costs considering the fact that licensing fees will be drastically less for them. The key here would be to pick out ones who would jump at a chance to bring in a little more money and get their music out there (rather than looking for a TON of money), and to figure out a way to work the pricing on it so that the investment can be made worthwhile economically.

And if you really want to be an asshole, you can tie skill tokens to songs which would be bought, making it so that people who MUST HAVE IT ALL will buy them even if they're not interested in the song.

There are not 250,000 active people on this site, let alone 250,000 who would pay 1 dollar to play a song by *insert classic rock band*. I would honestly say it would need to be a licensing cost of somewhere around a couple thousand and the price to play the song would probably need to be around 2 dollars for this to be an actively profitable deal for both parties.
I like you, YOU KNOW what you're talking about

I'm gonna see what I can do, I'll talk to a few people tomorrow, then to Tass again, and see if a record company would like to get in contact with Tass about a potential deal
You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
Turning me round (Oh Oh)
Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)
stavie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2008, 10:33 PM   #22
Gibson63
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Gibson63
Default Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

good luck with this.......

btw its Mick Jagger.... not nick ..GG...lol you don't even know his name..

"HEY NICK WHATS UP!!!" -__-

Gibson63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2008, 10:38 PM   #23
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR

hi daman.

Or.... just get Roadrunner records. Go.
Old 12-2-2008, 10:55 PM   #24
sumzup
(+ (- (/ (* 1 2) 3) 4) 5)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sumzup Send a message via MSN to sumzup

I meant that $1000 would be too much as some sort of donation scheme by FFR users just to get a song in the game...this is completely unrelated to some sort of actual deal. I wouldn't presume to know the economics of that.

Last edited by sumzup; 12-2-2008 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: a
sumzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2008, 10:57 PM   #25
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Tell Harmonix it's not worth buying licenses. You think they get their licenses for Rock Band DLC for free?
because ffr has the same budget and target audience as harmonix
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2008, 11:05 PM   #26
norsegod666
Well hello there!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to norsegod666

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
$1000+ for ONE song?

not going to happen.
actually i ran a thread to see how many people would be interested in getting some of these bands in FFR. surprisingly there was some support for it but most people said that we would never get permissions to use the songs. also $1000 is pretty cheap for something like this seeing as how they ask for millions for their songs to be used in commercials. i would deffinatly support this many times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
what
how theactual fuck

R YOU SURE YOU CAN"T SEE THIS?
norsegod666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2008, 11:10 PM   #27
stavie33
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson63 View Post
good luck with this.......

btw its Mick Jagger.... not nick ..GG...lol you don't even know his name..

"HEY NICK WHATS UP!!!" -__-
I'm not daman, I'm not his Mom, I'm not even related to them, I'm their neighbor, and I've heard the stories, and yeah, so I got it wrong, once more, I'm not him, he's the huge classic rock fan, I like it, but yeah, I mix up n and m, so what, it's not my Mom that dated him, and honestly, I think you guys are being really rude right now

EDIT: @ Norsegod, it's going to be MUCH more than 1k, I was just using it as an example, I'll have to talk to daman's family and do some research on this to find out exactly how much
You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
Turning me round (Oh Oh)
Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)

Last edited by stavie33; 12-2-2008 at 11:13 PM..
stavie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2008, 11:11 PM   #28
norsegod666
Well hello there!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to norsegod666

dont worry man they did the same thing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
what
how theactual fuck

R YOU SURE YOU CAN"T SEE THIS?
norsegod666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2008, 11:25 PM   #29
Gibson63
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Gibson63

then im sorry.

Gibson63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2008, 11:55 PM   #30
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

EnR: we've tried talking to Roadrunner in the past... they haven't seemed very willing to do business with us in the past, sadly. Most labels are very excited to work with us with their baby bands.

Afro: anything that I would agree to doing along the lines discussed in this thread would be a revenue share model, not a licensing model. And support tokens would definitely be part of the model. With a rev share, you have 0 upfront cost.
Old 12-3-2008, 12:58 PM   #31
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
because ffr has the same budget and target audience as harmonix
By the degree that FFR's audience and budget are smaller, so too would the profit margins.

Big ****ing deal. This kind of thing would be good to make FFR a better place, a better game, not to line Synth's wallets. Again, I feel that I need to say that this sort of thing would be good even if the sales ended up not even breaking even on the licensing investment.

Quote:
anything that I would agree to doing along the lines discussed in this thread would be a revenue share model, not a licensing model. And support tokens would definitely be part of the model. With a rev share, you have 0 upfront cost.
That makes sense too, but would you really be able to entice them too much with that? Might look pretty good to unsigned in-house artists and stuff, or less mainstream signed artists/bands, but would you be able to walk up to The Island Def Jam Music Group and offer that sort of deal to get permission for Fall Out Boy's new album? We'd have better luck getting free permission for Fall Out Boy's older stuff (incidentally, what ever happened to Mr. DrugstoreCowboy taking care of that? The Fueled by Ramen stuff, or maybe the Uprising Records album?).
Old 12-3-2008, 05:57 PM   #32
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

like crack. crack draws people in.

ps - the album is 7 bucks, not 10.
Old 12-3-2008, 06:36 PM   #33
woker-X
.... :.. .:. ::

I like crack.

In.

I think it's a bad idea to put popular songs in-game...

I love FFR because I find music I've never heard before; that is what makes FFR special.

Last edited by woker-X; 12-3-2008 at 06:40 PM..
woker-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2008, 06:48 PM   #34
thechild
FFR Player

If you actually pay $1000 for a song I'm going to unsub because that will show how badly my money is being used.
thechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2008, 06:55 PM   #35
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by woker-X View Post

I love FFR because I find music I've never heard before; that is what makes FFR special.
Agreed
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2008, 07:39 PM   #36
DJAirWave
Why am I still here?
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woker-X View Post

I agree when it comes to the unique music making FFR special, but I disagree on putting popular music in FFR.

I don't mean popular music by all time hits/classics, but it's possible to put well known music on FFR, like Basshunter. I retrieved music permission from Ephexis with ease. If you don't know who Ephexis is, listen to the UK hit song Krater. Ephexis supplied Infinite Dimensions with their gear so I can also get music permission from him after a good conversation.

Before I begin typing a novel (blame my mother for long typing habits), I'll sum it up. It's not a bad idea to get permission from popular music in general, but it really isn't a wise thing to try to get the hit of the century for FFR.
DJAirWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2008, 08:05 PM   #37
kommisar[os]
Banned

Send a message via AIM to kommisar[os] Send a message via MSN to kommisar[os]

i'll believe it when you get permissions
kommisar[os] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2008, 09:35 PM   #38
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechild View Post
If you actually pay $1000 for a song I'm going to unsub because that will show how badly my money is being used.
And what if Synth makes an investment of 1,000 dollars and the income growth thanks to it makes for 5,000 dollars profit?

ps im still waiting on an answer about the old Fall Out Boy stuff, because I really don't see how we could get permission from Fueled By Ramen for Panic at the Disco's mainstream hits, but fail to get permission for Fall Out Boy's stuff that came out before they hit it big. I believe there was also talk of working with Uprising regarding Fall Out Boy's first album. And in case you didn't know, I like Fall Out Boy.
Old 12-3-2008, 10:14 PM   #39
DJAirWave
Why am I still here?
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar[os] View Post
i'll believe it when you get permissions
Are you referring to me? If so, I have the proof. I'll also get in touch with Infinite Dimensions as well.
DJAirWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2008, 10:23 PM   #40
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

afro: ask DSC... i really don't know what happened. i know what happened with Panic and how we got their permission for the 1 level, and it had nothing to do with Ricky.