Old 08-11-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Default Pulsen back and on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/340960/
20.99$ CAD
/popcorn

That's a pretty expensive song pack and noteskin for stepmania.

In all seriousness though, some (most) of the charts feel really rough, anyone else have any opinions on this?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
barfood
FFR Player

Default Re: Pulsen back and on Steam

I hate their description of it:
"Pulsen is an indie music and rhythm game where you listen to music and play along with the beat."

Do they mean they use indie music, or that the game itself is indie? Both of these claims seem fake to me. They found a loophole in Stepmania's license and are running with it. I hate that.

Quote:
[sven]: martin va remplacer la luzerne de son ragout de pelouse par du weed
[sven]: y va manger ca en souriant comme le dude de quaker
[haku]: that quaker dude looks like he just got laid
barfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfood View Post
Do they mean they use indie music, or that the game itself is indie? Both of these claims seem fake to me. They found a loophole in Stepmania's license and are running with it. I hate that.
it means its an indie game (lol I know), anyways there is no loophole in the license, stepmania has a license that allows you to sell it, anyone can take stepmania, throw a couple of songs on it, add a theme, and noteskins and sell, like people have done this before (jewish dance game haha) and will keep doing it, also while pulsen is stepmania, there is a few small difrences in the code, like how it changes the game res based on your window size, and that it has encrypted data, and a few other things, so atleast its not halfassed like jewish dance game step it up that stole content from other people and sold it

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

someone tell konami

NeoMasterPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM

>Trading cards.

Wonder if I can make money off this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Riotpolice
"Reach For The Stars"
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Riotpolice Send a message via Skype™ to Riotpolice

I remember that one user Saturn or whatever his face was trying to promote this game by shoving it into our faces last year or the year before. Just another FFR/SM/DDR clone. Except that it's not free.

and it's got a lot less songs than either FFR or SM

and you have to buy the songs

and the fact that this is another FFR/SM/DDR Clone means that few people will want to buy it and even fewer will want to play it

so tl;dr

Start putting the popcorn in the microwave if Saturn makes his return to this thread.
Also why is "summon" in quotation marks as usually that signifies an alternate meaning like for example last night I "visited" your mother but it really means last night I "fucked her in the ass" so exactly what is the subtext of "summon" because I am not sure I am comfortable with the implications

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de View Post
im usually the "nice guy" around these parts.. but this is bad, and you should feel bad. i would rather dip my balls in honey and hover them over a red ant hill than to ever hear such butchered crap.

Last edited by Riotpolice; 08-15-2015 at 05:43 PM..
Riotpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Jousway
FFR Player

its not an sm clone, it is sm lol

Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

They could have at least made it not look like ass.

Stempania devs should just put stepmania on steam for free.

Last edited by Izzy; 08-17-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #9
Leo137
FFR Player

Please tell me the name of the last song from that trailer

i know its T.Stebbins but i don't know which song
Leo137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
Saturn2888
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo137 View Post
Please tell me the name of the last song from that trailer

i know its T.Stebbins but i don't know which song
I Breathe Fire by Odyssey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URFlaSWf1tw
It'll be included in the next patch .
Saturn2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:15 AM   #11
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Wonder how much money this makes. I'll have to watch this...

Makes me want to get together with someone who can make a theme and just shit out a Stepmania derivative game of my own.
I can make better keyboard files and I'm sure I can train myself to get better at making pad stuff; with the right presentation I bet it wouldn't be hard to outdo this game in terms of quality.
Obviously would be more complex than just that but I feel like after this long in the community and various projects, I have the skills and connections to do this better lol

If the Stepmania license allows this stuff, might as well make one of my own? The question for me would be time more than anything.
Even though such a game is blatantly using all the hard work of the Stepmania base engine, I'm not so naive as to think it would be that fast to make a derivative game of this size.
Doing so would have to be worth the opportunity cost of not having a summer job next year...

Last edited by hi19hi19; 08-19-2015 at 02:21 AM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #12
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post

Makes me want to get together with someone who can make a theme and just shit out a Stepmania derivative game of my own.
I can make better keyboard files and I'm sure I can train myself to get better at making pad stuff; with the right presentation I bet it wouldn't be hard to outdo this game in terms of quality.
Obviously would be more complex than just that but I feel like after this long in the community and various projects, I have the skills and connections to do this better lol

If the Stepmania license allows this stuff, might as well make one of my own? The question for me would be time more than anything.
Even though such a game is blatantly using all the hard work of the Stepmania base engine, I'm not so naive as to think it would be that fast to make a derivative game of this size.
Doing so would have to be worth the opportunity cost of not having a summer job next year...

Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
Saturn2888
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post

I completely agree with you. Not joking. I talked to people about this years ago how easy making a game on SM should be.

It's really strange the only other SM derivative to Pulsen isn't out yet (Stomperz). There are free examples to look at too like Mungyodance and Foonmix, but nothing recent.

This should only cost a couple grand at most to make the game; maybe 10K as a good high estimate since things cost more than you think, and you're good. StepMania has a good amount of rhythm game bits setup, even more than other engines like Unreal (questionable with UE4) so there shouldn't be much left to do.

I agree with Jousway's post too. You should just do it. Make it! I really do believe it should be really easy, and it's darn possible Pulsen is taking too long to make. I love seeing other games in the community.

I'm not knocking you here. However facetious I sound, I'm dead serious, this //should// be easy, cheap to make, and a quick seller since, from what you're saying, it'll be better than what's already out there.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #14
helphelp11
FFR Player

So, it's back on Steam? Was it available some time ago but removed for some reason?

Glimpsing at the trailer, they have a weird 3D spinning thing. The flame at the top is weird, though. Why would you need it?

If it was way cheaper ($21 for 53 songs? That's about 40 cents per song) I may consider buying it, but only on release.

Well, I'm so far neutral on the game, and I guess I'll see how this fans out... guess I'll "get my popcorn kernels and start popping it over the stove, drizzled with margarine... anyone want some?"

Highest AAA: Clockwork Gearman (45) (Sightread)
Highest SDG: Trobbel (56) (6-1-0-1)
Highest FC: Love Coloured Master Spark (LUV2 Remix) (65)

Highest AAA: Pointless Fast Rap (was 45) (Sightread)
Highest Blackflag: F (was 33) Well, this is awkward...
Highest SDG: Cheat Codes (was 55) (4-1-0-1)
Highest FC: We Killed The Rave (was 63)
2016-01-21 - Reached D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateandhatred View Post
banned because michael phelps11!!11!!1!!!
helphelp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #15
Saturn2888
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by helphelp11 View Post
So, it's back on Steam? Was it available some time ago but removed for some reason?
It originally released early October 2011 on a few indie sites and on http://pulsengame.com using a different payment processor than the Humble Widget that's up there now. The old version was removed because Pulsen was remade for Steam after being Greenlit late last year.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

this reminds me of when some one was selling stepmania on ebay
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote