Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-2-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Svaz
quite clever

Default Google makes phone

Oh google, what fields will you seek to dominate next?

The G1 (official site, featuring grating voiceover at every click) is apparently a phone you need T-mobile to use. Being a verizon customer myself, I've never interfaced with this thing, and have no idea how alike it is to iPhone/AT&T. Here it is for purchase (there's a seperate link elsewhere for current T-mobile users but I'm too lazy to find it again).

Normally I don't really give a **** about phones, but now that google decided to get involved, I am filled with intrigue.

Last edited by Svaz; 01-2-2009 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: WHOA BUDDY I made a topic without a poll, truly this is a monumental day
Svaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Biff_tech
so the 17 ate the 12 eh.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Biff_tech
Default Re: Google makes phone

Doesn't google already have a phone called the Android that's only in japan or the States or something?

Sig by Darkmonkey AKA Clowd
Biff_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Svaz
quite clever

Sort of. It's still in development, and implements Google's Android technology, as does the G1. The company, DoCoMo, is purportedly doing it to compete with the Softcom, the Japanese company that launched the iPhone (and I suppose to hold their spot as Japan's biggest mobile carrier).

The Android technology is Linux based, and open source, leaving it very customizable, allowing the opportunity for it to have more features than the iPhone does. Purportedly the iPhone isn't doing that fantastically in the technologically advanced atmosphere innate to Japan.

ps: I swear I'm not a weeaboo ;_;
Old 01-2-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
syzergy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Looks awesome lol. Verizon ftw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundb0x View Post
absolutely nothing wrong with this

i still have photos of my dad dickfeeding me when i was like 5
syzergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

I had a chance to do more less a side by side comparison, between the iPhone and the G1.

The iPhone, is an amazing piece of art, I'm not one to praise apple, but I have to say, they did a great job on this phone, scrolls extremely smooth, responsive as hell, intuitive menus, all around good phone, just seems very delicate.

The G1 on the other hand, is setup like an iPhone, but tries to implement more of a windows app feel into it, it is by no means as responsive to touch like the iPhone, nor as smooth. The navigation tools are awkward, and they include a little mouse track ball on it as well which I never found a use for. The G1 flips open to a full keyboard, which may be a plus to some of you, but I actually enjoyed the iPhone's on-screen keyboard, mainly because the iPhone is responsive enough to handle it. I use T-mobile, and it's been a great network to be on, you get a lot of talk time for your money as opposed to the ATT network, and about equal in signal strength and reliability.

Overall, iPhone does indeed, kick some major ass. G1 tries to compete but, it seems they overthought their phone, and in turn it bogged it down. The G1 does have quite a few more features, but at a performance cost.

I'd go with the iPhone personally.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

I'm confused. Did I know about the release of some amazing piece of technology before you guys?

More importantly, did the radio show I listen to in the mornings know about this before you guys? Because I swear to God this was discussed months ago. Not that that matters.

Also, it's available through T-Mobile, which means it fails.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

I'm perfectly content with my VirginMobile Shuttle. I don't really understand the "omg I gotta have the newest of everything!" philosophy. I mean, the technology is cool and impressive, but hell, it's a cell phone. It's mean for calling. Texting is useful, too. But seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
pokelda
⁽ ´ཀ`⁾
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to pokelda Send a message via MSN to pokelda Send a message via Yahoo to pokelda

at&t pretty much beats everyone else
Old 01-2-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I am much more excited about Blackberry Storm, but it's on Verizon, so looks like I'm waiting. =(
Old 01-2-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

So I use my phone only to call people.

I really used to hate the iPhone because it was from Apple, but after playing with one for about an hour, I've come to appreciate it as an awesome gaming device. I've known for the longest time that the iPhone had better hardware than either the DS or the PSP, but I didn't expect it to be a good video game platform because of the lack of buttons. But after previewing different apps, I've come to appreciate it as a tool for innovative developers. Some of the games on the iPhone are really amazing. I don't know how good the iPhone is for calling people and I think it's complete crap for texting or web browsing because its hard to type on, but I appreciate it as a good gaming device.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchypanda View Post
I am much more excited about Blackberry Storm, but it's on Verizon, so looks like I'm waiting. =(
It's not really that great, in comparison to the iPhone it really falls short. It's no where near as responsive. The onscreen keyboard is much harder to type with, and it's no where near as smooth.

Sure it's cool, and some people might really like it, but if you keep your phone for a few years when you upgrade like I do, it's not really worth getting.

Btw I really hate phones that have exclusivity. Why not just make universal phones that can be applied to the service of your choice? That way all the verison people can have iPhones too.
Old 01-3-2009, 02:01 AM   #12
sumzup
(+ (- (/ (* 1 2) 3) 4) 5)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sumzup Send a message via MSN to sumzup

Old news is old.

Anyways, the G1 was really a bad device for the first release of Android. It's ugly and sucks. Hopefully the next phone based on Android will be better. Also, in the future Android will blow the iPhone environment out of the water...Apple has closed the iPhone up so much that while the Android advances, the iPhone won't have room for innovation.
Old 01-3-2009, 03:10 AM   #13
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
Sort of. It's still in development, and implements Google's Android technology, as does the G1. The company, DoCoMo, is purportedly doing it to compete with the Softcom, the Japanese company that launched the iPhone (and I suppose to hold their spot as Japan's biggest mobile carrier).

The Android technology is Linux based, and open source, leaving it very customizable, allowing the opportunity for it to have more features than the iPhone does. Purportedly the iPhone isn't doing that fantastically in the technologically advanced atmosphere innate to Japan.

ps: I swear I'm not a weeaboo ;_;
Sounds like it could potentially be turned into a handheld computer. I want one.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
TC_llama499
Resident Rock Climber
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TC_llama499 Send a message via MSN to TC_llama499 Send a message via Yahoo to TC_llama499

yeah i know a few people with the G1 and it has some very nice features on it, but like DS said the touch screen isnt as responsive as the iphone.
Old 01-3-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
OrganisM
FFR Player

I love my iPhone, and all other phones I've come across are just pretenders.

PS - blackberries are garbage. I'm never using one ever again.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Shadowcliff
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm confused. Did I know about the release of some amazing piece of technology before you guys?

More importantly, did the radio show I listen to in the mornings know about this before you guys? Because I swear to God this was discussed months ago. Not that that matters.

Also, it's available through T-Mobile, which means it fails.
You're right. I saw this about 2 1/2 months ago, on Google's front page.
"The new G1 phone. Check it out"
^Something like that.
Personally I don't care too much for this phone. I think the technology is cool but the design could be better.

Last edited by Shadowcliff; 01-3-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Shadowcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
footbull3196
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to footbull3196

Didn't this come out a while ago?

I was going to make a thread on this, but then I decided it would be smarter to wait for someone else to do it instead.

I think that the G1 is probably better than the Iphone if you do a lot of texting since it has an actual keyboard.

But if you like a crystal-clear display and use the phone to play games and use stuff from the AppStore, then go for the Iphone.
footbull3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

A friend has the G1 and I have played around with it for a while.

It's very nice and I'd like to get a point across to you iPhone go getters about the touch screen etc blah blah blah.

Tactile response.

Seriously. Guess what. Fully functioning keyboard > touch screen. Weigh the pros and cons of tactile response over touch screen. Tactile response will win hands down. It's much more responsive, efficient, convenient, durable and so many other nice words.

Yeah the G1 has a touch screen. The iPhone is touch screen is more responsive I'll admit. But the G1 doesn't evolve around the touch screen. iPhone does. I can TYPE out a message, numbers and punctuation included a hell of a lot faster than an iPhone. I need to use two keyboards on an iPhone.

That wins to me. I don't want to piss about when trying to write a message. I've used an iPhone and I still prefer my letters assigned from 1 to 9. Not because I'm used to it. Because I find it a lot more convenient.

I still only use my phone to call and text people. So I am interested in neither and hold no biased opinion. They are both very nice pieces of engineering. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the pot. Specially about the touch screen issue.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
Svaz
quite clever

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Old news is old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcliff View Post
You're right. I saw this about 2 1/2 months ago, on Google's front page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by footbull3196 View Post
Didn't this come out a while ago?
I didn't see a thread on it (though I neglected to search for one as a precaution) and decided to make one. I was curious about other people's perceptions.
Old 01-4-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
I didn't see a thread on it (though I neglected to search for one as a precaution) and decided to make one. I was curious about other people's perceptions.
That wasn't really what I was trying to say. I was shocked to think I'd known about something way before someone else. I don't recall there being a discussion on it.