Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should downvoting be a feature on profiles?
Yes 17 36.17%
No 30 63.83%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #21
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Bring back the downvote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Potential View Post
nice bait

I made it clear in my first sentence, it's overall a more positive environment without downvotes. If we still feel the urge to hate on another, well than we actually have to use a braincell or two to construct a sentence. Which caries more weight than a simple click of a button.
Using their brains is deterring for people who go around senselessly spreading hate anyways, so no button = less hate
Sure it's not in anyway noticable, and the hate that's left over is certainly more noticable but.. Wow, I've just contradicted myself...
Give the monkey what he wants! It's a matter of efficiency! Keep the hate discrete! Fight the powah! I need to sleep.
You think getting rid of the down-vote solves anything? No. It does nothing but encourage someone like myself to post a comment that would honestly be (much) worse. And one can make the argument that by ignoring their profile you're now subtly down voting it because you don't care enough to click a button. Congrats, the problem is still there.

You accomplish nothing by leaving just the positive side other than being stupid. If you remove one, remove the other. You're just participating in circle jerking which is just fucking dumb. Just pick someone's house and have your group compliment orgy already.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #22
Lost Potential
FFR Player

Listen, I really don't give a fuck about this button; I just don't think it's necessary to reinstate it.
When it's all up and no downs, it's more just showing strangers you've acknowledged they're active or whatever, it doesn't necessarily mean anyone is jerking anyone. It just becomes the lazy mans way of saying "hey I like your attitude" or "I see you're playing FlashFlashRevolution, I also enjoy this game and I acknowledge you're playing well" There is no detrimental effect from the thumbs up. Though the thumbs down causes nothing but animosity and childish quarrels (much like this one).
I hope this still makes sense in the morning
I vote literally every profile, unless I've been wronged by them; in which case I ignore them. no harm is done by that. those who receive a thumbs up are generally appreciative. those who don't... well there's no negative repercussions from not being voted, cause no one knows who has visited who's profile.
Pros: No animosity, no petty hate
Cons: Xelnya thinks it's a circlejerk, hate becomes verbalised which results in a diminished more-visible animosity.

Last edited by Lost Potential; 08-11-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #23
lurker
ur worst nitemare

as someone who is pro-autism i wholeheartedly agree with this
Old 08-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
VisD
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

oh my god is this thread for real

Old 08-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #25
VisD
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

and hitler was even invoked, unironically

nice

Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #26
Mister_Raccoon
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JiZ53- View Post
I know profiles might not be the top priority of most of the developers/ administrators right now, but i think it's time the downvote was brought back as an option. Is this possible? Feasible? A popular idea? If you want to bring back the downvote post in here and let the administrators know.
Why do I feel like this is targeted?
Whose profile made you THAT mad where you were all, "DAMN, I wish I could downvote?"
Old 08-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #27
Mister_Raccoon
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
You think getting rid of the down-vote solves anything? No. It does nothing but encourage someone like myself to post a comment that would honestly be (much) worse. And one can make the argument that by ignoring their profile you're now subtly down voting it because you don't care enough to click a button. Congrats, the problem is still there.

You accomplish nothing by leaving just the positive side other than being stupid. If you remove one, remove the other. You're just participating in circle jerking which is just fucking dumb. Just pick someone's house and have your group compliment orgy already.
Wow. I can't even process a scenario where I've hated some random on the internet sooooooo much that my options were either to downvote a profile or spew virulent rhetoric like some weirdo from gaiaonline.

Y'all need some more weed in your lives.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #28
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
I don't think we should let Julius ruin our conception of the thumbs up just because of the way he used it.
Then let me take you further back. Back to a time when it wasn't just thumbs but fingers that ruled the world, back to the time of Jesus Christ. Look at this picture:

This is the fabled image of Caiaphas mocking Jesus' having but one profile upvote. Note the sneering disbelief written over the face of Caphy, the dejected look from JC as if to say 'why should it matter, my son' and the pompous, punchable face of that guy in the centre, Mr Mockastopheles himself, who had gathered no less than 30,000 upvotes around Jerusalem and was therefore 30,000 times more popular and believable than Jesus.

Now Jesus fought against this oppression all his life. All the way up to his last year on Earth. Look at one of the final pictures taken of him:

Here we see the High Priest Annas continue to be absolutely flabbergasted by Jesus having a solitary follower (that follower if you're curious was Peter, who can be seen peering out from behind the curtain behind the priest, but he denied it and claimed it was an error of parchment)

Mr Center of Attention, the one striking the Dancing Queen pose, is about to hit Jesus for this lack of popularity. Even when the one on the right tries to calm proceedings and claim that he would follow Jesus and upvote his status if it would save his skin.

Unfortunately that was too little too late. Jesus wasn't given a chance. Jesus was murdered.

Upvoting and downvoting killed Jesus.

And today? Even now Jesus fights a losing battle to cope with the vapid inclusion of up and down voting. Even today, Jesus has but 7,254 profile followers compared with a staggering 243,290 followers for a man mistakenly labeled the messiah.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #29
Mister_Raccoon
FFR Player

lol Dragon...
That shit right there is pure gold!
Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #30
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
Let's revive downvote and remove upvote
leonid was poke medley released in a pack apart from your originals or no
Old 08-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #31
-JiZ53-
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Potential View Post
Listen, I really don't give a fuck about this button; I just don't think it's necessary to reinstate it.
When it's all up and no downs, it's more just showing strangers you've acknowledged they're active or whatever, it doesn't necessarily mean anyone is jerking anyone. It just becomes the lazy mans way of saying "hey I like your attitude" or "I see you're playing FlashFlashRevolution, I also enjoy this game and I acknowledge you're playing well" There is no detrimental effect from the thumbs up. Though the thumbs down causes nothing but animosity and childish quarrels (much like this one).
I hope this still makes sense in the morning
I vote literally every profile, unless I've been wronged by them; in which case I ignore them. no harm is done by that. those who receive a thumbs up are generally appreciative. those who don't... well there's no negative repercussions from not being voted, cause no one knows who has visited who's profile.
Pros: No animosity, no petty hate
Cons: Xelnya thinks it's a circlejerk, hate becomes verbalised which results in a diminished more-visible animosity.

the thumbs up loses a lot of its meaning without its original counterpart: the thumbs down. for many years the downvote and upvote existed without any problems. if somebody gave you a thumbs up, you knew that they could have given you a thumbs down if they wanted to. if somebody gave you a thumbs down, it still counted towards your profile vote count; this was the way it was for a long time. there was no debate(to my knowledge) amongst the community about removing the downvote. it was changed one day out of nowhere by a user who had just become a part of the development staff. downvotes were removed and so were the vote counts, effectively doing away with years of ffr profile tradition. when you get a notification for a new profile vote, the downvote is still shown in the icon; a bitter reminder of the way things used to be. why was there a change in the first place? that is the real question. why was there no debate before they removed the downvote? i think that we should bring things back to how they used to be.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #32
Buta-san
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Buta-san

n

If you really don't like the person or profile why not just tell them on their wall or to their face.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #33
mrpreggers
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

i like profiles so i know which ones I've visited like this comment if you agree
Old 08-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #34
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpreggers View Post
i like profiles so i know which ones I've visited like this comment if you agree
+1

Old 08-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #35
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buta-san View Post
n

If you really don't like the person or profile why not just tell them on their wall or to their face.
If you LIKE someone, just tell them to their face. Both in-your-face gestures are more more vivid and pungent. Maybe you don't want to impose that you have hollow, dry hatred for someone to their face? Maybe they've made a public opinion that was really a wrong move. So, you go to thumbs the down, something private, to indicate your narrow slice of opinion of them.

Criticism in the form of a thumbs down, if done constructively, I wholeheartedly agree with. For those people just thumbs-down raiding profiles, who cares? It means nothing. Advertise to people that they need not take the downwards icon as a symbol of being a bad person. It's contextual, and sometimes the context is lack thereof (spammers).

But if you've genuinely been bad at a certain time of your life, what better way to catalog it than looking back at your profile vote history.

Proposal: maybe the option to change your vote. But all in all I vote yes. And with it, a campaign for how to properly receive a thumbs down vote, AND a thumbs up vote. A lot of people fish them out for selfish reasons and don't really mean it. Encourage the voting system being done with intent, and teach people how to properly respond to a vote they might get.

okdone

Last edited by Spenner; 08-11-2015 at 06:10 PM..
Old 08-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #36
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

I think the point is, its fine to say you like something and leave it at that, but just saying you dislike something isn't constructive. You can comment on a feature or style you dislike and go into your reasoning. And the fact that most people don't really care if you dislike their profile, its not exactly an opt-in system.

Also dislikes being used to voice irrelevant opinions on peoples personal taste, So what if they're a Brony/Furry/Animu. You likely knew that from their avatar and are willingly subjecting yourself to something you already know you find intolerable.

Honestly, I feel it works better as a one vote popularity system, its just a number anyways.

Last edited by omega_grunt666; 08-11-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #37
dashoe93
Alphabet Crowd

This is literally a picture of a thumbs up or thumbs down on a profile for a Flash game. How anyone got into a debate over this is beyond me.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #38
Starlight562
Flower Baby♥
FFR Veteran

I believe in love and peace so no downvote for me.

I'll go and upvote everyone who commented in this thread if I haven't already.<3
Old 08-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #39
Mister_Raccoon
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoe93 View Post
This is literally a picture of a thumbs up or thumbs down on a profile for a Flash game. How anyone got into a debate over this is beyond me.
+300 Street Cred.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #40
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

People who voted no obviously mean to say yes because why else would they downvote the thread?
Bring back downvotes!
Closed Thread