Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television

Old 03-31-2022, 11:40 PM   #21
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me movies you enjoy

I +1 mellon's suggestion of Paprika. The film does things that would only work through its animation style. It's a memorable and pleasing watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2022, 12:45 AM   #22
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioamor View Post
There is a noticeable dearth of animation in my diary. I tend to be averse to 3D animated films, but I do need to get into more anime. I have seen a lot of Perfect Blue during my time on Letterboxd, so I'll add both to my watchlist. I also understand that I need to watch more Miyazaki. Or any Miyazaki, actually. I've seen a third of Howl's Moving Castle and that's all. Would I be incorrect in assuming you have some knowledge of Studio Ghibli, and would therefore be able to provide a recommendation or two?

You would not be incorrect at all! I love Studio Ghibli

My personal favourite Ghibli film was not directed by Miyazaki. It's called Whisper of the Heart. It is very slice of life, slow pacing, it's got fantasy elements but for the most part it is realistic boring school days of youth. Which is why I love it. It was directed by Yoshifumi Kondō who was meant to be Miyazaki's successor, but he tragically died at age 47

Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away would be my #1 suggestions otherwise

Also though I think everyone needs to watch Grave of the Fireflies. It's based on an IRL survivor of WWII's account of the nuclear bomb. It's one of those films you can't forget after you watched it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2022, 11:25 AM   #23
radioamor
anhedonia extraordinaire
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiosna View Post
snip
This is a phenomenal and remarkably comprehensive list of recommendations. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to narrow down a few that you think I would enjoy based on what you know about my personality, and then further justified them. While I am certainly no fan of didactic cinema, I don't mind a bit of treacle. Not even the most weathered soi-disant cinephile can survive on a diet of downtrodden, anxiogenic films alone. One of my favorite films, Margaret (2011), is a contemplative pendulum that explores the swells and nadirs of human emotion, and it ends on a tender hug at the end of an opera. I can scarcely think of something more nominally saccharine than that.
I will admit that when my partner attempts to explain the merits of Japanese animation to me, she does it in terms that do not quite appeal to me. That may simply be a difference in value judgments, however, and I could extract meaning in ways she doesn't and vice versa. I'm loath to immediately disregard a film based on its initial presentation (unless it's a comedy with a poster that contains a white background behind the cast, in addition to the film's title with a pithy tagline written in red, 3D text. Those are uniformly trash.)
I watched Oldboy a while ago, but I would definitely benefit from a second viewing. I have been thinking about watching that and The Handmaiden on two consecutive nights. My watchlist may be precipitously ballooning here, but I trust your judgment enough to just watch both films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
snip
I figured you would have some advanced acquaintance on the matter, but I didn't want to be presumptuous. Thank you for the recommendations. This is a genre of film that is wildly out of my wheelhouse, but again, I would hate to dismiss a potential surfeit of good cinema because I am not accustomed to Japanese animation.

I am immensely grateful for everyone's suggestions, and I'm adding them all to my watchlist. Sometimes, however, I'm busy, and I'll even be out of town next week, so I'll progress through them rather slowly. I look forward to watching them all, though! I mean this sincerely, and not in the corporate email way that my parlance may communicate.

Last edited by radioamor; 04-1-2022 at 11:26 AM..
radioamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-2-2022, 04:25 PM   #24
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I run a plex server with 35 TB and I still don’t even watch everything that gets put onto it.

Probably the most recent films I’ve seen this year (in no particular order of quality) is recent Spider-Man film, death of the Nile, American underdog, the 355, coda (this is actually really good one), the tomorrow war, latest scream film, encanto (this movie isn’t that great to me), and dog (movie is hella cheesy).

Been meaning to watch Moonfall.

Out of the list I would say the latest Spider-Man film was the best one simply because of nostalgia.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 04-2-2022 at 04:27 PM..
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:07 PM   #25
sweet2kill210
I'm okay I guess
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sweet2kill210 Send a message via Yahoo to sweet2kill210 Send a message via Skype™ to sweet2kill210

Everything Everywhere All At Once. It has a little something in it for everybody, it's amazing. Such an eclectic film with a lot of different things to appreciate. The cinematography, the off-the-wall smorgasbord of scenes, the action sequences, etc. It'll make you laugh and make you cry. It replaced Donnie Darko (which I love for all the different interpretations it can have) as my favorite movie. Definitely a must-see, and I absolutely plan to watch it many more times in the future.

Thanks Gold Stinger, you are amazing!

sweet2kill210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:50 AM   #26
BruceAdler
FFR Player

Try the new apple tv series, severance is a great series
BruceAdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 06:53 PM   #27
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

After I've been in film hell for a while I think I can give more recs that aren't in your watchlist and are more targeted towards what you're into and are also distinctly what I'm into.

- Sound of Metal (Darius Marder)
- Shoplifters (Hirokazu Kore-eda) / Nobody Knows (Hirokazu Kore-eda)
- Harakiri (Masaki Kobayashi)
- Joint Security Area (Park Chan-wook)
- The Chaser (Na Hong-jin)
- The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki)
- A Better Tomorrow (John Woo)

As far as I know, Sound of Metal is already on your watchlist, but I felt that you'd resonate with that quite a bit, and you should push it up in your priority list. Pick your poison for the Kore-eda film! I heard that his newest film (Monster) was really good too, but I'm waiting for it to be on home video so that I can see it for myself. I'd also mention Infernal Affairs again since you're quite into The Departed, but you've heard me mention that film more than three times, so no need for me to mention it again I think.

Last edited by Wiosna; 06-28-2023 at 06:57 PM..
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:18 PM   #28
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Let It Shine, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Maleficent, Greyhound, A Quiet Place Part 2
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2024, 12:16 AM   #29
Lambdadelta
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Oldboy is a Korean film I watched last year that I would highly recommend if you can tolerate subtitles as there is no English translation, however, there appears to be a Western remake of the movie but we all know what happens when the West tries to make an English Adaptation. Please do note that I've never actually seen the Western adaptation of the film so I don't actually know if it's actually trash or not, I'm just basing this off of past experiences.

I've added both the short and long versions of the synopsis depending on much you want to know before watching it.
The longer one obviously gives you more details about the movie as a whole but I don't think it really spoils anything other than just giving you a better idea of what it's about, but maybe it's best to just read the short version or neither of them if you want as little information as possible.

Please bear in mind this movie is uncomfortable to watch at times.

After being kidnapped and imprisoned for fifteen years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in five days.

Dae-Su is an obnoxious drunk bailed from the police station yet again by a friend. However, he's abducted from the street and wakes up in a cell, where he remains for the next 15 years, drugged unconscious when human contact is unavoidable, otherwise with only the television as company. And then, suddenly released, he is invited to track down his jailor with a denouement that is simply stunning.

Last edited by Lambdadelta; 02-2-2024 at 12:26 AM..
Lambdadelta is offline   Reply With Quote