Old 08-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

I want to be in better shape but like Mike said, I'd have to give up booze, which probably won't happen rofl.

I've started running again (used to run x-country and track in high school), I'm at the "blisters on feet" stage. -___-
Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
Trogdor!!!!
Forever
FFR Veteran

I wouldn't say I've ever been noticeably muscular, but I don't think I've ever not been in shape (as far as being overweight goes). Combining my metabolism and a lot of ITG has been good for me over the years and I've cut back a lot on energy drinks and soda because of kidney problems. I got a bit of muscle last year from weightlifting in school but I've never really done weights other than that. I think the most I ever weighed was I think 158-159 and that was last year from moving and not really doing anything as far as fitness goes. I weigh 152 now and I've been playing shit tons of ITG as of late so I'm pretty sure I'm only going to lose more.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
i will pwn u
idontmash.ipressextrakeys
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to i will pwn u Send a message via Skype™ to i will pwn u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
What's wrong with core?
absolutely nothing is wrong with core mike.. core is essential if you plan on lifting or getting bigger .. but to add weight and bulk up like wilson was asking pushups and pullups usually wont do to much in that area..

for anyone who is serious about lifting and getting fit i would recommend doing planks and other core strengthening excersises

Last edited by i will pwn u; 08-12-2012 at 02:39 PM..
i will pwn u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i will pwn u View Post
absolutely nothing is wrong with core mike.. core is essential if you plan on lifting or getting bigger .. but to add weight and bulk up like wilson was asking pushups and pullups usually wont do to much in that area..
Pushups are one of the best exercises since they workout a wide variety of muscles. Pullups are great for biceps and back...so yeah. They're good workout for adding mass if you're also doing other exercises as well.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #25
i will pwn u
idontmash.ipressextrakeys
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to i will pwn u Send a message via Skype™ to i will pwn u

Imo aesthetic exercises (push ups, pull ups, crunches, dips) are more of toning exercises and define more then add mass.. For bulk and size you usually have to rip the muscles then allow to heal and repeat.. They are important to incorporate into your workout but alone wont usually do all that much to add size or gain weight is all i meant..
Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I thought the idea of "toning" in general was outdated?

Anyway, marines don't seem to have much trouble getting strong with bw exercises, but if you're going for an extreme commando ripped type of thing, then yeah you'll probably need more. I'm all for pushups and pull ups, but I can't pass them off as the same as 300lb reps. There ARE ways to make them harder though.

Last edited by Mike Weedmark; 08-12-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Mike Weedmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Pushups are one of the best exercises since they workout a wide variety of muscles. Pullups are great for biceps and back...so yeah. They're good workout for adding mass if you're also doing other exercises as well.
If you can do more than 15-20 reps though your pushups aren't going to build much muscle. I did them for awhile but used a backpack and added weight to it over time.

Same with pullups. Useless once your reps get way up there, but if you go to a gym most of them have belts you can add weight to.

Also, yeah, the idea of toning is bullshit. You can build muscle or lose body fat. Pick one. Toning makes no sense, lmao.

Tier 1 mass builders are pretty much: Bench press, Squat, weighted chins, overhead press, deadlift.

Other greats include dumbbell presses, flyes, tricep extensions, shoulder presses, rows, pulldowns, barbell/dumbbell curls, leg presses, leg extensions or curls.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Cool thread, i always pretty much just work out core/cadio and have done this for years, and have really been wanting to move on to more lifting based workouts for a while now. Reach, that was a great post, what do you think a good weight based circuit would be for someone in good shape cardio/core wise but just starting out with weights? I also work out my legs a decent amount, I'm really excited to develop more muscle mass and arm strength though as those weren't my main objectives being primarily a volleyball player
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark View Post
I thought the idea of "toning" in general was outdated?

Anyway, marines don't seem to have much trouble getting strong with bw exercises, but if you're going for an extreme commando ripped type of thing, then yeah you'll probably need more. I'm all for pushups and pull ups, but I can't pass them off as the same as 300lb reps. There ARE ways to make them harder though.
In the marines, you'd be seen as an outcast if you weren't working out on your offtime. All physical training in the military branches are regulated and are more for maintaining fitnesd.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thhour View Post
5'11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshiram View Post
5'11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
5'11"
...oh

Anyways, I'm like.. 5'3"? weigh about 140lb.
I'm not fat, but I have no idea how much body fat I have. How do you even figure that out?
I guess I would want to gain muscle, but that's like the hardest thing for me to do. Help~
Old 08-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
I'm not fat, but I have no idea how much body fat I have. How do you even figure that out?
Calipers are the most reliable. You can buy them at many drug or fitness stores.

Alternatively, many scales use bioelectrical impedance analysis to estimate body fat, but it tends to overestimate it since it can't differentiate between fat and water.

As for building muscle...it's complicated. The short answer is go to the gym, lift heavy weights, do compound movements and eat tons of food so you gain weight.

The long answer? Well, that will depend on what you need to know, haha.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #32
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Haha yeah all the 5'11 is annoying. Go back to tall people land, you genetically superior dicks!

Oh well, for the record I'm like 5'8. Closer to short than tall, and like 150lbs.

My fitness feats include: Not being heavier.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #33
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

6'2" and my goals include loosing weight by running and exercising a lot.

In all reality, just run and do basic exercise stuff, like push ups, sit ups and the like. I don't know about gaining muscle mass, but it's usually a safe bet to ask people that work out that kind of info.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #34
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I had a quadruple baconator few days ago
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #35
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

I run sometimes, usually 2-3 miles at a time. I ran a lot more when I was in high school cross-country and track. Running helped me lose 25-30 pounds.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #36
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

5'7, 225 pounds here. But the thing is, I don't look even remotely close to that - I fit comfortably into my 38" pants. The thing is, I have a significant amount of muscle mass, especially in my legs which look like that of a professional cyclist despite the fact that I haven't ridden a bike seriously in years. A lot of it is genetic for sure, with my weight and height I should be a real fatass (I have seen people my height and weight who are huge).

That's not to say that I don't have weight to lose - I do not exercise nearly enough and my diet leaves something to be desired (mostly in the way of portions, my diet is free of soda and almost all kinds of junk food save for the occasional splurge). What is disappointing to myself is that I actually did manage to lose a lot of weight about 18 months ago. I dropped 45 pounds in about 11 weeks - this wasn't with a crash diet either, I more or less maintained my diet but with smaller portions, averaging out to about 1600-1800 calories a day punctuated with 45-60 minutes of walking (averaging around 4 miles per hour) and ample water consumption. Unfortunately, I didn't have the discipline to maintain it and after hitting 179 pounds with a 30" waist (still obese for my height, supposedly...) I stopped and by the end of the year I was back up to my old weight.

I understand that what you eat factors into weight loss - obviously a diet fills with carbohydrates and sodium promotes muscle loss and fat gain over muscle. However, I've seen a lot of my family members (who also struggle with weight gain) try various diets (low carb, paleo, etc) with little success. I maintained my current diet, which to begin with included a good amount of protein over sugar and sodium, but I just ate less of it. Coupled with ample water consumption I lost weight at a remarkable rate without muscle loss, though I'm fairly certain my genes factor into that since my mom and dad are similar in that regard. I'm going to start up my old routine again and get back into good shape especially as I near graduation and employment within the next 12 months, since in reality I'm still too heavy as it is.

Whoa, post #2000. Only took me four and a half years to do it too. :P

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/battle-tower-royale-title-theme

Last edited by Bynary Fission; 08-12-2012 at 07:19 PM..
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #37
JenovaSephiroth
oh okay

5'11, 155lbs here. Once or twice a week, I go down to the arcade to play PIU doubles (D14-D17) for a couple of hours, but even after all of that, I still have a gut, and I haven't gotten rid of it since... ever, I think. Any ideas on how to work on that?
JenovaSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #38
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenovaSephiroth View Post
5'11, 155lbs here. Once or twice a week, I go down to the arcade to play PIU doubles (D14-D17) for a couple of hours, but even after all of that, I still have a gut, and I haven't gotten rid of it since... ever, I think. Any ideas on how to work on that?
What kind of food do you eat? If you eat a lot of junk food, you're not going to get the results that you're looking for. The better the food you put into your body, the better the results.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
JenovaSephiroth
oh okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
What kind of food do you eat? If you eat a lot of junk food, you're not going to get the results that you're looking for. The better the food you put into your body, the better the results.
Uh... Let's just say that I haven't followed any sort of diet. I'm never hungry when I get up, so I pretty much just have two home-cooked meals every day, and at night, I have gamer food. Chips, iced tea, stuff like that. On days that I have work, I pack and bring lunch with me.
JenovaSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #40
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm 5'7, currently 168 lbs. my heaviest weight was 195 lbs in February of this year and I started losing weight since then. What I have been doing that I think helped me most was running 2.5 miles around my neighborhood, averaging 30 minutes, as well as changing my eating habits.

What bothers me most is my cheeks, chest, mid section, and thighs. From what I heard, thigh fat is hard to get rid of. My calves are great, my biceps are okay, but it's just my upper body basically that bothers me, along with my face.

I mostly drink water (about 3-4 water bottles a day, sometimes even 5-6) and nothing else, which has helped me a ton, and I love drinking water. I make sure I eat every 2-3 hours, and that the meals are light and about 300 calories, no more than 500. I also make sure that two of the snacks are fruits (I'd usually have a yogurt for one small meal, then a banana/green apple the next meal). If I wake up early, like at 8-9 am, I don't eat after 6pm. On weekends, since I wake up later, I don't eat after 9pm.

My main concern is that I'm not entirely sure what I want to go for. My goal is 150 lbs, but I'm afraid that it won't be enough for me to see a complete difference. I lost nearly 30 lbs so far but I'm not 100% satisfied.

tl;dr - I want a flat chest, or pecs, along with abs, and less thigh fat. My arms and legs are pretty okay though. My eating plan is okay but I should still reduce some stuff like bread (which I eat a lot of) and more protein. Running is what I enjoy most, and daily I do push ups throughout the day (25 at a time). Basically, a lean but decently-muscular body, but not too buff.