Old 09-8-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Nvidia RTX 30 series

Anyone going to try out these new graphics cards?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...raphics-cards/

Apparently they give better performance than anything currently out there for about $500. Worth the investment?

Last edited by Dynam0; 09-8-2020 at 09:50 AM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: Nvidia RTX 30 series

I mean, it's worth the investment for people looking to make a very powerful gaming PC in the $1400 - $2000 USD range, or looking to upgrade from the 20 series.

Not exactly worth it yet for budget builds or entry level builds. Will have to see what price drop is like after it's been out for a bit.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Depending on my budget next year, this release will probably be what I finally upgrade my 10 year old PC to.

I'm hoping a good 3060 drops in that time. $500 USD + "Canada tax" + sales tax is a big oof for just a graphics card. Plus I would need a new monitor for at least 1440p.

Last edited by trumaestro; 09-8-2020 at 12:53 PM..
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumaestro View Post
Depending on my budget next year, this release will probably be what I finally upgrade my 10 year old PC to.

I'm hoping a good 3060 drops in that time. $500 USD + "Canada tax" + sales tax is a big oof for just a graphics card. Plus I would need a new monitor for at least 1440p.
Basically me when I saw the release for them. Sometimes I forget I'm not living in 'land of the free' so I see '$500' and I'm like "y'know what, 500 cad + S/H is a really good price for this"

And then I find out it's $500 USD and that translates to like $700 CAD after shipping costs and electric costs being in Ontario with their recycling tax, and then I get sad.

Currently building a computer for a friend atm as a 'small step above entry level gaming computer'. To put into perspective, all the parts together for that costed $1300 CAD. Using essentially a 1070 in that build.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 09-8-2020 at 03:03 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Still hoping for a price drop on the older cards soon.

Heard the first wave of the 30 series went out of stock almost immediately after release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?

I'm really tempted by the 3080, but I'm going to wait for AMD's response before making my decision.

Waiting also gives a couple months for the buying frenzy to calm down a bit so it'll hopefully be a bit easier to actually snag a card.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
Ghost_Medley
D6.9 Prime Buttonhitter
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I know something like this has a bunch of scalpers and bots going at it.

It'd be really good if Nvidia reviewed the orders and scanned sites like ebay, newegg, and craigslist to find people doing that stuff, but I doubt they'd take that extra step to see that they're shipping out to people who would use the graphics cards for legitimate reasons.

My real question otherwise is if there's specific hardware that the 10 and 20 series is compatible with that the 30 series isn't? It wouldn't be too effective to buy the part to upgrade if it turns out it doesn't have the same compatibility.
Ghost_Medley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley View Post
I know something like this has a bunch of scalpers and bots going at it.

It'd be really good if Nvidia reviewed the orders and scanned sites like ebay, newegg, and craigslist to find people doing that stuff, but I doubt they'd take that extra step to see that they're shipping out to people who would use the graphics cards for legitimate reasons.

My real question otherwise is if there's specific hardware that the 10 and 20 series is compatible with that the 30 series isn't? It wouldn't be too effective to buy the part to upgrade if it turns out it doesn't have the same compatibility.
sorta.

We reached out to Nvidia this morning about this and were given the following statement: “Yesterday, we saw unprecedented demand for the GeForce RTX 3080 at global retailers, including the NVIDIA online store. At 6 a.m. pacific we attempted to push the NVIDIA store live. Despite preparation, the NVIDIA store was inundated with traffic and encountered an error. We were able to resolve the issues and sales began registering normally.”

To combat buyers using bots, as well as the scalpers that have already flooded eBay, Nvidia is “doing everything humanly possibly, including manually reviewing orders in an effort to get these GPUs in to the hands of legitimate customers.”

https://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-availability/

Last edited by phe0nixblade; 09-19-2020 at 01:41 PM..
phe0nixblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley View Post
Primary thing to watch out for would be that the 10 and 20 series cards use less power than the 30 series cards (at least the 3080, but it's reasonable to believe the other 30 series cards will be similar in that regard), so if for example you have a GTX 1080 with a 550w power supply, then it would be safer to upgrade your power supply if you're planning to upgrade to an RTX 3080.

Also, the RTX 3080 is pretty long (physically), so if you use a small case then you could run into an issue of it actually fitting into your system. But if you're using a mid-size ATX case then you should be fine. If concerned, most case manufacturers list the maximum allowable graphics card length in their spec sheet. Or you can also find that information on pcpartpicker.

I should mention that even though the 30 series cards are PCIe 4.0 compatible, they will work just fine on a motherboard that only has PCIe 3.0 compatibility.

In short, if someone is currently using a 10 or 20 series card without issue then there really shouldn't be anything that would cause a new 30 series card to not work. Though be warned if your CPU is like an AMD FX-8150 or something then it would be wiser to upgrade the CPU first as it would very likely bottleneck the currently announced 30 series lineup.

Last edited by tosh; 09-19-2020 at 01:45 PM..
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2021, 07:18 AM   #10
jonewaren
Banned

Ok thanks for letting us know about it, you can also check SMM Packages for more details.
jonewaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:29 PM   #11
Neigdoig
FFR Player

My 3060 works fine. The LHR I have is a sweet addition, alongside my Ryzen 5900X.
Neigdoig is offline   Reply With Quote