Old 10-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #2101
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Re: World of Warcraft

Blood Elves have http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=28730, which is +6% mana and acts as an interrupt. Undead have nothing of use. Trolls have http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=26297, which is cast haste.

I thought they had more DPS-related spells. Apparently I was wrong. Trolls are the highest DPS. Blood Elves just give you a bit more mana. Orcs or Goblins will be the highest DPS when you can be them (cataclysm).

Edit: ok, so I have a few things to talk about. First of all, out of the blue, the top-end raiding guild on our server just fell apart. They've been together since the Classic days. Don't know what happened. They were the only guild on the server to kill Algalon on 10 or 25. They were the only guild to do Alone in the Darkness. Without them, our server basically sucks.

However, that opens the possibility of getting realm firsts for us. Now it's a question of whether we actually want to go for it or not.

The other thing. We decided to continue riding on our emotional high from getting our Ulduar drakes. Blizz still hasn't confirmed when they'd be removed, and we've been receiving a ton of tells from other players we kinda know who want to run with us. We made an alt run. We're running our damn alts through along with some of these guys. We're 8/13 done on ALTS on day one. Thorim was the last one of the night, and he was just a nightmare. Our raid had seven melee characters. A single Chain Lightning would gib two or three of them. Even on our eventual kill (which I solo-tanked after the other tank got gibbed by something that wasn't Unbalancing Strike), two people died from CL gibbing. This was after a ton of practice perfecting a 10-yard triangle.

You have to understand that our primary raid has no melee at all. None. It's all casters and hunters. This is the reason we couldn't do sarth 3d. This is the reason our DPS is low. And this is also the reason these hard modes were so easy. This second group has been all melee. Thorim was the first fight this was a problem, and Vezax will be the second. Unfortunately, we can't swap our mains in for some of the melee because we're all saved to the other Uld10.

But, to be honest, it's been a blast. This is actually challenging. It may be easy for you, and I don't care if you think it is, but for a "casual" raid guild like ours is, it's just been a hell of a month so far.

Last edited by Squeek; 10-17-2009 at 02:56 AM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #2102
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Undead can break out of fear and it is fairly useful in fights with fear and it can be a great convenience especially if you're a tank or healer.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #2103
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender5 View Post
Um before Ulduar came out that was a pretty big deal.
The only really big deal about 3d drake zerg is that your DPS knows how to press their buttons correctly.

Actually doing 3 drakes the way it was intended is a big deal because it requires incredible raid coordination.

Last edited by Grandiagod; 10-17-2009 at 09:48 AM..
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #2104
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
The only really big deal about 3d drake zerg is that your DPS knows how to press their buttons correctly.

Actually doing 3 drakes the way it was intended is a big deal because it requires incredible raid coordination.
And that you can do 5k with only Naxx gear before they nerfed every class's DPS and buffed the fight.

You know, that *minor* detail.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #2105
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

You just needed full 213 gear, and it was definitely not hard to get full 213 really quickly after Naxx came out. Bragging about doing "good dps" is only impressive if you're doing hardmodes or something that requires you to pay attention, move around, coordinate with the raid and STILL put out killer dps.

In 3D zerg all you have to do is stand in one place and press the rotation you read off of Elitist Jerks, as long as they were decked out in 25 naxx gear they have no excuse to not down the thing doing max dps. The only person that should brag about that strategy is the healer.

Last edited by Grandiagod; 10-17-2009 at 01:23 PM..
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #2106
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

3 Drake isn't really THAT hard if you have a coordinated group.

Most people aren't smart enough to maximize their dps even if they know the correct rotation. People have improperly balanced stats or just fail to grasp the concept of going all out.

For a group filled with casters I'd say we did really well to get 3 drake zerg done.

For the amount you put down the difficulty I'd say that you probably either never tried a zerg, or never completed one. That or you did it with a melee group making it like 5000000000000000000000000000000000000000x easier

edit: @squeek, does berserking buff cast speed as well as attack speed? The way it's worded sounds to me like that's a melee buff not a caster buff. Although, there is a pretty good chance I'm wrong seeing as I don't know anything about horde at all really

Last edited by bender5; 10-17-2009 at 01:38 PM..
bender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #2107
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Now gives flat 20% haste.
It's both now. It used to be either/or depending on what class you were.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #2108
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

i really don't think even doing os+3 the proper way was ever very difficult, at least not as a dps

1) move for waves
2) move for void zones
3) follow kill order
4) make sure your dps doesn't suck

victory

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #2109
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Onyxia 10 PUG just now. 1 warrior tank, 2 paladin healers, 7 ranged DPS

1 whelp spawn, 2 elite spawns one of which was after she landed. Dead in 3.5 minutes, anybody who didn't have it got 'more dots' and 'she deep breaths more' on account of she hit phase 3 before she even deep breathed once.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #2110
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't understand why you're down my neck about this. If you did it before Ulduar, then you did it before it was made more difficult to do. We didn't try to do it before Ulduar, nor did we have the ability to stack casters/melee like you all did.

The first mentions of an OS103D zerg were around March of '09. 3.1 came out... April of '09! When 3.1 came out, the only people who were getting the zerg done were people who were doing 25 uld hard modes. You have to remember that all of the tanks you would normally use for the zerg were nerfed. Heavily. Bears lost a ton of armor and health. DKs lost a ton of everything. Voidwalkers couldn't do it anymore either. Paladins and Warriors always had a hard time doing it. Not to mention that DPS and mana regen were both nerfed heavily.

So please, lay off the comments about how we're just now getting it done. It's not like we're doing it at level 100. We tried to do it after we finished clearing Ulduar, but the DPS was too low back then (4000 isn't enough). Since we don't build raids based on buffs designed to maximize DPS, this was as good as we could do.

@Devonin: This is true for our guild runs. We just don't have melee DPSers in our guild most of the time, so we end up doing almost every dungeon with 5-6 ranged. We've had both achievements done easily for the same reasons: she went down so fast that she didn't breathe.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #2111
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

Doing a zerg back before I did Ulduar only happened because the guild I was in was too incompetent to clear anything, so we took the best couple (Myself and a few real life friends) and then filled the rest with pugs.

I ended up quitting the game completely due to my guild being run by a complete idiot that was a mage more geared than myself that put out almost 2k less dps.

Although, now the guild has finally cleared Ulduar they are way behind the curve still.

As for doing a zerg now, I'm not sure how it would work seeing as there have been many changes/gear upgrades, but back then it was really hard for us.

I have a lot of respect for people that do it without difficulty seeing as we killed Sarth as he was going Immune at 84 seconds.
bender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #2112
Feuergeist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Feuergeist

wtf does os 3d even matter any more? Arguing ftw !

Wer noch nie einen Fehler gemacht hat, hat sich noch nie an etwas Neuem versucht.
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Feuergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #2113
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

I don't think Sarth 3D was ever a problem for a healer. Assuming no one takes damage from the void zones, all you have to do is top off the tank before Sarth does another hit on him. This is easily accomplished by spamming heals. Even if you repeatedly use your most mana intensive spells (which a priest wouldn't because they're not the ones you would use - a Prayer of Healing or Holy Nova spam won't keep a tank up) for 80 seconds, you will not run out of mana.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #2114
hi19hi19
lol happy

I healed a 3D zerg.

I have 35k mana when raid buffed (lolpally). I went OOM right as he died, never had to divine plea. (And this was with haste pots and heroism too)

Healing it is not hard. Just a test of how much haste you are stacking. As long as you can get a heal in between every attack, you win.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #2115
Bill Kaulitz
FFR Player

I was just wondering where you get a flimsy mask or a sinister squashling...

Are they random drops?

♪ ♥ ♥ ♪

Bill Kaulitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #2116
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

The masks come randomly from the trick-or-treat bags you can get from inkeepers once per hour.

The sinister squashling pet comes the same way as the masks, and also is a drop from the Headless Horseman.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #2117
Bill Kaulitz
FFR Player

It sucks because I only need the squashling to get the name.

♪ ♥ ♥ ♪

Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #2118
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

And I only needed the hallowed helm. Just trick or treat every hour you can, and try to get to the HH every day
Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #2119
Bill Kaulitz
FFR Player

I got the Hallowed Helm on my first HH run. :O
Then my sister got the squashling her first run.
I wanted to beat her

♪ ♥ ♥ ♪

Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #2120
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Finally got my toothpick. Took 4 days of doing the trick or treating about 12 times a day.

In the meantime, we're 4/5 in the Coliseum hard modes. The Twins were really fun, but took a lot of work. Anub is damn hard. We may run out of tries just trying to do it. 20 left.

It's like... hey, remember the normal fight? Yeah, none of the rules apply here. a) you only get 6 ice patches. b) you get twice as many adds (burrowers and scarabs). c) he builds up speed underground much faster.