Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
xNiX
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to xNiX
Default changing style

I played linear spread for most of my ffr/sm career, but I feel like I can't get any faster due to my inability to trill very fast. So then, I switched to inverted to see if I could get faster or better. Anybody here play inverted at all? Seems harder on my forearms but I have topped my MA easily on certain songs.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
NeonSM
Я тебя люблю Маша
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to NeonSM
Default Re: changing style

what is inverted spread? 'wdok' or something?
NeonSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
xNiX
FFR Player

Yeah, or something like "rghi". So far it seems like doing rolls are much easier and that was one of my biggest weaknesses. My stamina also appears to have taken a huge toll as well.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Isn't that just called concave/convex setup?? You aren't actually inverting anything.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
xNiX
FFR Player

Oh is it? Excuse me for getting the terminology mixed up. This is all really new to me, and I wanted to see if there was anyone with a similar playing style; maybe even possibly someone who previously played like this.

Last edited by xNiX; 03-10-2014 at 10:58 AM..
xNiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
CZarkou II
POLAND
FFR Veteran

i was playing that way like for half of year or somethin (qslp) but i found that linear spread (dfkl currently) is way better for me. It's all comes to practice to trilling fast i guess.

Date to remember 9/5/12 - 1st FGO AAA.(FrNev)

Also 2 FGO BF's (HALCYON,NNT) <- Whaaat?-.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
MIOTA NIM JAK SZATAN
CZarkou II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
xNiX
FFR Player

That's what I keep being told but it feels like it's almost as if linear caps my speed on oht. I could oht over 210 once I switched styles, but found it a little harder to jack around 170 16ths.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
CZarkou II
POLAND
FFR Veteran

i forget to add, it all comes down to personal preferences, but from experience i know that practice makes perfect, i live for a long time with different conviction but since i rise up my left oh trilling from less than 200 to even 260 i know that's the only right way, i mean practice
but anyway, try different setup cuz you never know which will be the best for You, but unfortunately 1st you must get used to the new one, and in extreme cases you may discover that the previous was better and then back to older setup can be very uncomfortable

bless ya and good luck mate! :')

Date to remember 9/5/12 - 1st FGO AAA.(FrNev)

Also 2 FGO BF's (HALCYON,NNT) <- Whaaat?-.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
MIOTA NIM JAK SZATAN
CZarkou II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I currently use YHKO and I improved a LOT (one hand trilling on left hand slightly better, anchor patterns feel easier to hit, etc,). For me it feels like each individual finger has a bit of space while a setup like CVBN or ASDF feels uncomfortable, especially with trilling.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
xNiX
FFR Player

That's exactly how I felt as well. Trilling is VERY uncomfortable unless I have some sort of space between my fingers. Maybe that's because I have giant hands or maybe because they just aren't very coordinated while playing linear? Lol

Last edited by xNiX; 03-10-2014 at 02:19 PM..
xNiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
KrazyKitsune
FFR Player

That setup is generally referred to as a concave setup (I don't recall it being referred to as inverted spread before). If your middle fingers are a lot longer than your index fingers, you might find concave more comfortable. On the other hand, if your index and middle fingers don't have a significant difference in length, you might prefer linear spread more. That's how I've always viewed it.

There are other factors that can influence which setup you prefer, such as the angle you position your hands in. And, of course, you may prefer a different setup regardless of digit ratio. Keep on experimenting with different setups until you find one that best fits you.
KrazyKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I see that everyone felt the need to rename the playstyle I made up forever ago. Not that I particularly cared about the name, but at least it had a name that wasn't any better or worse than concave or inverted. It had this name since 2006-2007ish.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ight=playstyle

Personally it has always worked really well for jumpstream in comparison to typical spread. I never noticed a difference in trills.

Last edited by Izzy; 03-10-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
KrazyKitsune
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I see that everyone felt the need to rename the playstyle I made up forever ago. Not that I particularly cared about the name, but at least it had a name that wasn't any better or worse than concave or inverted.

Well, I guess diagonal spread makes more sense than inverted spread. Still, I think I like the word concave a little better, haha.
KrazyKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
xNiX
FFR Player

So what's inverted? (I'm sleep deprived now. Sorry for dumb questions)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
Solomine Gray
Forum User

Inverted is nothing. But if you were to invert diagonal spread, like using a,w,i,l for example, then I guess that would be the closest thing.

Also I find that the angle your keyboard is titled on your desk really has something to do with the best key setup, but that's probably obvious.
Solomine Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomine Gray View Post
like using a,w,i,l for example, then I guess that would be the closest thing.
Damn that is ridiculously uncomfortable. The idea of using q,s,l,p was to be more natural feeling. If you lay your hands out on your keyboard you'll notice your middle and index fingers will be closer to 2 separate rows.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKitsune View Post
That setup is generally referred to as a concave setup (I don't recall it being referred to as inverted spread before). If your middle fingers are a lot longer than your index fingers, you might find concave more comfortable. On the other hand, if your index and middle fingers don't have a significant difference in length, you might prefer linear spread more. That's how I've always viewed it.

There are other factors that can influence which setup you prefer, such as the angle you position your hands in. And, of course, you may prefer a different setup regardless of digit ratio. Keep on experimenting with different setups until you find one that best fits you.
I've never heard of it referred to as any term used in this thread. I've always heard it referred to as "Hybrid" because it's supposed to give you some of the perks of index (such as runningman and and easier times with one handed trills) while still giving you the four finger setup, and sacrificing a bit of JS ability. Personally I despise this setup it's so uncomfortable.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #18
Solomine Gray
Forum User

Quote:
Damn that is ridiculously uncomfortable. The idea of using q,s,l,p was to be more natural feeling. If you lay your hands out on your keyboard you'll notice your middle and index fingers will be closer to 2 separate rows.
Yeah, I can't imagine any kind of setup deserving of being called inverted ever being very good.

As for a natural feeling setup, that's what I'm talking about with the keyboard angle. It sounds like your keyboard is pretty square with your desk and where you're sitting. If your keyboard is titled at an angle, then one of your hands will end up playing keys side-by-side to compensate for the angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I've always heard it referred to as "Hybrid"
What? It's not a hybrid spread at all. Hybrid spread is when one hand uses the index and middle fingers while the other hand uses the middle and ring fingers, it's half pettanko.

Last edited by Solomine Gray; 03-10-2014 at 04:24 PM..
Solomine Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

you mean concave

i play concave btw
Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #20
Dynam0
The Dominator

Quote:
I see that everyone felt the need to rename the playstyle I made up forever ago. Not that I particularly cared about the name, but at least it had a name that wasn't any better or worse than concave or inverted. It had this name since 2006-2007ish.

Personally it has always worked really well for jumpstream in comparison to typical spread. I never noticed a difference in trills.
Interesting because I never remembered hearing the term diagonal spread before...in fact it wasn't until recently in Patashu's Stepmania Terminology thread that I saw concave/convex styles classifying that way of playing at all. Those terms fit more imo because they are more specific since diagonal spread can refer to either convex/concave setups (though convex seems extremely uncomfortable I agree lol).

Inverted setup would literally mean reversing the configuration (so left hand plays right side and right hand plays left side). I had a friend who played with a weird semi-inverted style on the arrow keys; his left hand would do left+down like normal spread but his right middle would be on the up key and his right index would be on the right key. I was always annoyed because he would have to reposition the keyboard at a 45 degree angle to play like that but I liked to tape my keyboard down in a particular spot

Last edited by Dynam0; 03-10-2014 at 09:54 PM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote