Old 02-7-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
CaptainAhab
FFR Player

Default FFR's future?

What do you see as the future of FFR?

I talked to a number of friends about this game and virtually all of them said they thought it died, but they played a while back. I'm the only person I know that plays, unfortunately.

Do you think that FFR is dying? That it's actually growing in popularity? That it is relatively stable right now?

Curious what the folks who have been around here for a long time think.

Cheers!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR's future?

I thought people grew tired of games that are simple like this but I mean if Flappy Bird is insanely popular FFR could be too I guess.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
JohnRedWolf87
Backlogger of Hobbies
FFR Veteran

The arrows shall rise again!...depending on your settings.

xBBx Takedown's First Tournament - 2nd Place (Beginner)
ZC_Wolfy's Birthday Tournament - 3rd Place (Novice)
Dragons_Fury One Division Higher Tourney - 2nd Place (Novice)
Samurai7694's Ultimate Enduring Fabulous Tournament - 3rd Place (D1)
Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFR Bowl - 2nd Place (D1), 13th place overall
Panic4Me and MrMagic's Thanksgiving Tournament - 2nd Place (D1)
JohnRedWolf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Frederic54
FFR Veteran

Frederic54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Tim Allen
B^)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Allen

nah
Old 02-7-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

People want games they can play on their phones and tablets. Unless FFR becomes compatible with these things it's unlikely it will grow any bigger than it is right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
People want games they can play on their phones and tablets. Unless FFR becomes compatible with these things it's unlikely it will grow any bigger than it is right now.
This.

I also still stand by my point that Facebook has potential to get this community growing again and maybe quite popular. But as mentioned in a few other threads, there are things that need to be done before we do a big Facebook publicity push (such as site revamping, song offset sync fixes, more finalized and standardized engine UI [I mean let's face it, we have three engines commonly used for one game], and lag reduction to somehow manage).
Old 02-7-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

You be the judge, lol.

I'm learning that if you look at the forums and the community, yeah, it kind of looks dead.

However... looking at all those recent games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

FFR is so simple and fun, I think as people discover it they will still want to play it.

I think as long as there are people around who care to post, FFR forums will live on!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
This.

I also still stand by my point that Facebook has potential to get this community growing again and maybe quite popular. But as mentioned in a few other threads, there are things that need to be done before we do a big Facebook publicity push (such as site revamping, song offset sync fixes, more finalized and standardized engine UI [I mean let's face it, we have three engines commonly used for one game], and lag reduction to somehow manage).
Three engines because some people have trouble adjusting, problems with compatibility, or just the nostalgia factor. If we eventually pushed for facebook integration it wouldn't be too hard to just throw in some functions on a R^3 "facebook edition" to be used as an app. Maybe have a share replay button next to save that posts it on your wall, maybe a notification if your facebook friend is playing, or you beat their score or something, with a prompt to brag about it. Legacy/Velo would still be around, but not in the spotlight, as far as new facebook people are concerned R^3 would be the engine unless they had played before and saw the other engines still available on the site. I wouldn't push to change those too much because then you're hurting/affecting the people who don't care about facebook.

On a casual scale (Most of the attention drawn from facebook) I don't think the sync is a huge issue. Anyone that cares enough to go far in the game will learn about proper syncing and know how to adjust offsets that feel right for them/their setup. I know a lot of players that don't even bother adjusting offset based on songs and do just fine.

But yes, site revamp first, I really like what has been shown so far and can't wait for it to go live.

*edit*
Forgot to mention the mobile aspect, The game structure as it is doesn't really lend itself well to mobile gaming because of the bandwidth usage (IMO). Rhythm games for mobile devices almost universally have songs/charts downloaded to the device and that might conflict with conditional permissions granted for artists on FFR. Otherwise you limit the game to people playing on good wifi or with unlimited data plans that have good speeds. Not that I think a mobile port isn't viable, just that the experience would suffer over the browser or standalone versions of the game and might not be ultimately worth the development time.

*edit2*
A lot of people think the game died because it did die at one point. But obviously there was still sufficient interest or the game wouldn't be back. (I would attribute the death more to management issues then anything wrong with the game/community) I certainly wouldn't say its dying, people come and go all the time, the active userbase basically changes on a monthly basis.

Last edited by omega_grunt666; 02-7-2014 at 05:25 PM..
omega_grunt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
xNiX
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to xNiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
FFR is so simple and fun, I think as people discover it they will still want to play it.

I think as long as there are people around who care to post, FFR forums will live on!~
Yes, that's if there are people who do stay around.

And FFR is not nearly as simple as most tablet games that come out for people these days. Plus, the average person (from my experience), are easily over whelmed by the arrows despite what speed mod is used.
Old 02-8-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
CaptainAhab
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega_grunt666 View Post
site revamp first, I really like what has been shown so far and can't wait for it to go live.
Exciting!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

An FFR revival would be insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNiX View Post
are easily over whelmed by the arrows despite what speed mod is used.
there's your ticket. They come for the honour of looking aszn hitting arrows like a boss so they can look better than their friends, and fail. That's a possible addiction hook right there. Just gotta put the button to replay in a nice easy location to restart, then you've got people stuck playing the song until they do it. Then their friend says "hey I passed a 20 the other day lol" and they don't believe them, so they play more.

It's the same shit as Flappy Bird, we just gotta make it more mindless to play FFR.

edit: you also gotta have some more style with FFR too. This game doesn't exactly have eye candy. And what do we know about the main-stream gamer today? They only give a shit about games that look better than the last game they were playing. Plus, if you make it bright and stimulating, the ADD/ADHD kids will hop on board more easily. The ADD/ADHD kids are the ones who never shut up about things they like either, which would spread FFR like the flu by word of mouth.

edit2: make the game F2P with buyable content so that each player has a false-sense of being unique. Skins, UI content, kavaii moe blob announcers, you name it. Whatever could possibly make the player feel as if they can play the game but aren't getting the whole package unless they fork over a couple of dollars. The League of Legends route if you will.

edit3: oh btw if you go the Facebook way, make sure to add a small energy bar that limits your games played per day, and NEVER let anyone EVER get a boost unless they pay money. Put a lottery in effect so that people might be able to play longer some days. Highscore ranking board? Have that shit set to local highscores, and make it only focus on the 2 people around you so you feel like you're always improving. Unless you're the best. Then you can press the brag button like omega_grunt said.

However Facebook games are a dying breed so I don't really think it's going to work that way. You can't play Facebook games during class in most schools for teenagers (target audience) so it's not going to be easy for them to sneak on. Mobile seems to be the most popular platform for gaming when you shouldn't be IMO.

Last edited by Pseudo Enigma; 02-8-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

I thought you've been around here enough to know Facebook or mobile development will never happen. It's not like we have paid programmers or an owner to take the game in any particular direction. We're a community run non-profit website, and any development is purely volunteer work by people who love to play the game.

The only way I see any major development would be with the return of Synthlight. But that's a fat chance in hell.

But enjoy FFR for what it is; it's ours to tweak. As long as we have a community, (and a functioning server) we will stick around.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
edit2: make the game F2P with buyable content so that each player has a false-sense of being unique. Skins, UI content, kavaii moe blob announcers, you name it. Whatever could possibly make the player feel as if they can play the game but aren't getting the whole package unless they fork over a couple of dollars. The League of Legends route if you will.
This has always been a really tricky issue, because a really big selection of our song permissions stems from FFR being a non-profit organization.

I would fucking love it if the possibility of an in game store would happen though. I think however, the overarching reason is that the player gets to do shit that he wants to, and isn't limited to the default setup of the engine or whatever. I love customization, and love being able to make things my own.

There's a possible workaround that I think has been discussed somewhere, somehow, about taking any money generated from revenue and channeling it all into things like tournament prizes/prize money, like the little tokens that PrawnSkunk 3D printed out, or perhaps t-shirts, or something of the sort. That way, the permissions issue is mitigated somewhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2014, 12:53 PM   #17
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Is the non-profit stipulation pinned to the site as a whole or to individual users? Pooling any revenue to tournaments would work if it were a site-wide thing and not individuals. We'd have to talk to the artists who gave FFR permission under that restriction and see how we interpret that lest we interpret it ourselves and lose their permissions.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2014, 01:31 PM   #18
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-o24 View Post
Is the non-profit stipulation pinned to the site as a whole or to individual users? Pooling any revenue to tournaments would work if it were a site-wide thing and not individuals. We'd have to talk to the artists who gave FFR permission under that restriction and see how we interpret that lest we interpret it ourselves and lose their permissions.

-o24
I'm not entirely sure, there's people who can better answer this question than I can, but even channeling the revenue into irregular staff salaries (lol incentives to do batch judging even)

I think that most artists who allowed the usage were simply under the impression that their songs won't generate any revenue; so that ffr can't walk away with money earned because of the addition of their songs. Funneling all of the money right back into the community however may be fine, as i said before. Again, this whole issue is really sensitive and tricky, so it's tough to say much without talking to a whole ton of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

We could always just make another rhythm game... like FourthStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2014, 03:35 PM   #20
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Serious question: does FFR have to "revive?"
Good games come and go... I'm playing a lot of Diablo 2 now, which is a 14 year old game (older than FFR!). Obviously the huge following D2 had has moved on, but the die-hard fans have stayed and some new people (like me) occasionally still wander into the community. Perhaps the gaming community as a whole has in general passed FFR on, but is that really so bad? Do we want to stay small and tight-knit?

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote