Old 01-29-2019, 02:51 AM   #303
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Unpopular gaming opinions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Esports and streaming ruin gaming.
How else would I be able to make money from playing childrens games if not for these things???
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 AM   #304
GhostieGoBoo
FFR Player

Quote:
Esports and streaming ruin gaming.
i think small tournaments with friends over can be a lot of fun, but i do kinda agree that the culture around esports has blown up waaay too big and has slowly been destroying what actually makes games fun, and in turn has been replacing said fun with a bunch of 9 year olds screaming out memes and yelling at each other to GIT GUD SCRUBS.
reuben_tate's Ramen Box Tourney (D6) - 4th

GhostieGoBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #305
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
How else would I be able to make money from playing childrens games if not for these things???
I think that is the core of the problem. People are replacing a hobby for fun with a job for making money.

Being a little bit competitive with your friends or watching your actual friends play games seems nice, but watching strangers that will never know you exist so you can give them $10 when they scream or over-react to something stupid is just awful.

Esports in general give kids the impression that video games are far more serious than they ever should be which creates a horrible culture. Kind of like.. sports. The last thing I ever imagined gamers wanted was to make playing video games more like angry football culture.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #306
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I think that is the core of the problem. People are replacing a hobby for fun with a job for making money.

Being a little bit competitive with your friends or watching your actual friends play games seems nice, but watching strangers that will never know you exist so you can give them $10 when they scream or over-react to something stupid is just awful.

Esports in general give kids the impression that video games are far more serious than they ever should be which creates a horrible culture. Kind of like.. sports. The last thing I ever imagined gamers wanted was to make playing video games more like angry football culture.
idk i guess most people are like that, the only reason i'd ever donate or subscribe to someone (which I do, I'm subbed to a few zelda speedrunners/racers that I've watched for years) is so that they can support themselves by doing something they enjoy lol, none of them are like "ughh gotta hit the old grind today, fuk streaming this is work!11"

like hell one runner i like alot, ennopp, ive watched him so long that he like, grew up, got married, and had two kids during the time ive been watching him lul, streaming allowed him to support himself and actually enjoy himself. another person, runnerguy, I watched his stream as he like, put himself through university and became an engineer and he just streams for fun on the side

idk what streams ur watching, i guess the normie streams like ninja, greekgod, forsen etc are terrible but I would hardly say streaming etc ruined gaming, if anything it exposes more games to people who otherwise wouldn't see or know about them
Old 01-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #307
GeekSquad
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
to add to this, any game where you don't improve in terms of skill but rather improve due to time spent isn't worth playing either

im looking at you, runescape
the skilling part of runescape i can maybe agree with you there, even a majority of the PVM content, but a lot of the end game content bosses are pretty hard, and the PVP requires what I would call skill. you need to be really fast and good at timing the server ticks in order to win fights with someone at about the same level as you.
GeekSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #308
GeekSquad
FFR Player

I think the problem with eSports is that too many games try too hard to appeal to non-gamers, get on ESPN, and try to be the NFL of gaming. and it ends up coming across as trying way too hard and not nailing the core market. DoTA 2 does it pretty well. Everything else is pretty cringey

Last edited by GeekSquad; 01-29-2019 at 01:51 PM..
GeekSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #309
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I think it’s fair to say that streaming has its pros and cons. For example, before I purchase a game, I like to usually watch someone play it just to get an idea if I’ll like it. Streaming also helps me stay connected with games that I even used to play.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #310
MagicCarpetRide
Skware One
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MagicCarpetRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostieGoBoo View Post
the culture around esports has blown up waaay too big and has slowly been destroying what actually makes games fun
I have never understood this mentality. Like why can you not enjoy a game just because some people take the game very seriously? The 2 things don't have to be exclusive.
I am witnessing this first hand now since a game I speedrun is talking about forming a league with cash prizes and becoming more "esportsy." This is met with a ton of pushback but the only argument anyone can make is something vague along the lines of, "it takes the fun out of it."
What I'm asking is: what exactly is esports taking away from games? How has the culture around esports affected your ability to have fun with a game? Because there is no way a video game is "meant to be played." If you take issue with how other people are playing the game that seems like your own problem.
MagicCarpetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #311
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRide View Post
I have never understood this mentality. Like why can you not enjoy a game just because some people take the game very seriously?
When I try to play Overwatch these days you can't play a single game without some or all the people in your match playing and yelling as if this was a life or death situation. Like their skill at this game is a determinant of their self worth. I can't even play smash bros with friends anymore without people acting like destroying their friends at the game means they are going to get famous and make money from it. What happened to having fun and a good laugh at the silliness of Nintendo characters beating eachother up?

In my opinion in under no circumstance should a video game ever be taken so seriously. Esports and also streaming give the false impression that video games matter for anything more than having fun. The same problem exists with youtube "e-celebrity" culture. Kids these days want / think they are going to grow up to be a e-celebrity and make a profession out of doing nothing but people paying attention to them and throwing money at them.

These things need to be hobbies or they devolve into disingenuous sell-out trash content. There may some rare exceptions for educational content that isn't about the persons popularity.

Last edited by Izzy; 01-30-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Old 01-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #312
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRide View Post
I have never understood this mentality. Like why can you not enjoy a game just because some people take the game very seriously? The 2 things don't have to be exclusive.
tl;dr I'm not dissing taking a game seriously, I'm dissing the esports culture.

Don't get me wrong, I have zero issue with people taking games seriously. I even stated that tournaments can be fun, and I'm currently playing in tournaments for Heroes of the Storm (ranked top 50 in NA on that game).

If I didn't take the game seriously I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near where I am now on both that game and FFR. The issue I have, as Izzy stated, is that people literally force their seriousness onto other people, even if they are just playing to have fun.

And this kind of behavior happens even in bronze on games, where literally none of the players there have a snowballs chance in hell of making money off the game. So, the problem I have is that people blow esports out of proportion and it ruins the fun for a lot of people.

EDIT: GhostieGoBoo is my alt account o/

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal

Last edited by PhantomPuppy; 01-30-2019 at 02:18 PM..
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #313
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
When I try to play Overwatch these days you can't play a single game without some or all the people in your match playing and yelling as if this was a life or death situation. Like their skill at this game is a determinant of their self worth. I can't even play smash bros with friends anymore without people acting like destroying their friends at the game means they are going to get famous and make money from it. What happened to having fun and a good laugh at the silliness of Nintendo characters beating eachother up?

In my opinion in under no circumstance should a video game ever be taken so seriously. Esports and also streaming give the false impression that video games matter for anything more than having fun. The same problem exists with youtube "e-celebrity" culture. Kids these days want / think they are going to grow up to be a e-celebrity and make a profession out of doing nothing but people paying attention to them and throwing money at them.

These things need to be hobbies or they devolve into disingenuous sell-out trash content. There may some rare exceptions for educational content that isn't about the persons popularity.
You can take stuff seriously w/o being a dick. Gamers are just bad at the latter part. Doesn't mean competition is bad. Intense competition in any domain can teach you a lot of valuable life skills and a degree of self awareness that's hard to get elsewhere.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #314
flashflash account
FFR Player

I don't see that as much of a problem compared to the competitive scene getting too much attention from the developers

league has sucked for the past 3 years because they make more money from esports than from casuals, the game is no longer casual friendly like it was in seasons 3-5 and there's no more room for fun casual taking it easy

I think we can all agree that games being competitive is fine, it's like saying people trying to win high school football is dumb even though they're literally playing to win. The other argument is that people are trying to win backyard football which I agree is pointless

you probably have better odds of making some amount of income as a content creator than you do breaking into a major sports league, you can't make income playing football casually (that should be a thing)

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #315
Izzy
Snek

Sometimes I just feel like a bitter old man. I want to go back to playing Goldeneye 64 on the couch with friends and everything is different now.

The thread is about unpopular opinions afterall.

Last edited by Izzy; 01-30-2019 at 05:12 PM..
Old 01-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #316
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstMaple8 View Post
ok, you're officially fucked in the head.
haha baited xd
Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #317
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes I just feel like a bitter old man. I want to go back to playing Goldeneye 64 on the couch with friends and everything is different now.

The thread is about unpopular opinions afterall.
i dont think thats a very unpopular opinion lolz
Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #318
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

also kinda unrelated by why tf do people like fortnite, the game seems so brain numbing boring to me but maybe thats just everything
Old 01-31-2019, 09:32 PM   #319
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

^ yeah. pretty much
Old 02-1-2019, 10:46 AM   #320
LOVESTOSPLOOGE452
FFR Player

Agreed. Fortnite and the whole battle royal genre is lame. I'm done with this stupid generation of gaming. I'm going back to those old ass flip phone games. Peace out.
LOVESTOSPLOOGE452 is offline   Reply With Quote