Closed Thread

Old 12-1-2017, 10:34 AM   #41
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I'm not going to tell you guys that God exist etc.
sorry then you aren't christian
Old 12-1-2017, 10:43 AM   #42
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

christians are commanded to proselytize

you don't get to selectively choose what tenants of your religion you want to follow, i mean you can i guess because this is what spawned the bazillion offshoots of christianity and other religions and varying orthodoxies

religion is a tool that exists for 2 purposes

1) to placate literal plebs (ruling class pov)
2) to rationalize illogical behavior (pleb pov)

but this belies how fucking retarded organized religion actually is

religion is a set of beliefs and ideals to which all members ascribe to, the only thing that sets it apart from any set of non religious beliefs and ideals is that all members are supposed to believe the exact same shit

if you can convey an idea or a concept via religion you can do it without religion

if you can live your life by a moral code and set of rules commanded to you by your religion then, wow, surprise

you can do it without religion

do you see where im going with this

you aren't christian you are just using christianity as a pretext for living your own life with your own rules and beliefs anyway, so no, you aren't fucking 'religious' and this is what makes the collective world religions a shining example of how unbelievably stupid humanity can be

the idea that religion must evolve in modernity is ridiculous, it serves no functional purpose in a modern society, it needs to go extinct

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-1-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 12-1-2017, 11:05 AM   #43
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

ok i'll blunt my own statements with 2 anecdotes since we weren't supposed to be religion bashing

1) religious charity organizations (or at least the members of those organizations doing the actual work) are by far the most committed and least corrupt I've encountered
2) My dad converted to judaism after being diagnosed with both stage 4 prostate cancer and stage 4 renal cell carcinoma. Every doctor consulted in the tristate area wouldn't even consider operating on him, except one. His prognosis was 3 months at best. That was 10 years ago and he's the healthiest and happiest he's ever been, minus a prostate and a kidney. I don't 'thank god', I thank one of the best cancer surgeons in the area along with the sense of purpose and inclusion in a community that his conversion to judaism provided that supported his inherent desire to fight and survive.

could he have achieved the same if he converted to islam, hinduism, buddism? probably

could he have achieved the same if he joined a cancer patient support group? probably

if we woke up tomorrow and religion no longer existed would anything change? probably not
Old 12-1-2017, 12:54 PM   #44
blanky!
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to blanky!

I've always seen religion as some sort of "coordinate system" for which life can be viewed through, in order to promote well-being. There's some example about a geographical community of Seventh-Day Adventists far outliving their neighbors, even those who did smoke/drink/etc.

Of course, this is only the ideal.
Old 12-1-2017, 01:36 PM   #45
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I love you, Mina.
And not in the weird way that Christians go around telling people that they love them either.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 12-1-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Old 12-1-2017, 03:09 PM   #46
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Mina, can you not.

EDIT: I'm going to elaborate on why your posts pissed me the hell off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i'll happily criticize your acquaintance pool-

it sucks and they're all stupid
Nah, they're Ivy League students and alumni.
I don't know you, so don't insult me or the people I know. Also, just so you know, you shouldn't use "-" the way you did. It's grammatically incorrect.

Quote:
in case anyone missed it if god is what created us and informs our lives and actions at every point in time then god is the collective scientific laws of the universe and those (scientists, researchers, etc) who seek to discover and understand these laws are those who are really 'closest to god'

this is why many eminent intellectuals come off as religious or spiritual

then it gets twisted by pseudo intellectual retards who think that being smart means being 'hipster religious' and its actually really fucking sad
This is just plain wrong. I'm not going to entertain this, because there's no way that I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Just to clarify, is flaming is equivalent to criticising here? Just so I don't violate your thread rule. I don't think criticising a religion should be outlawed, it's quite dangerous to operate in this way.
Criticism is fine. Just don't be MinaciousGrace and call people stupid or retarded.
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 12-1-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Old 12-1-2017, 04:06 PM   #47
ormix
Banned

The creator has no right to be the creator (non religious consensus) because we as individuals choose to acknowledge only the contrasting negative of the whole picture.

Alas if anyone of us was in the position to create a universe and people to live in it, would we really do much of a better job?
Old 12-1-2017, 04:30 PM   #48
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
I'm going to elaborate on why your posts pissed me the hell off...I'm not going to entertain this, because there's no way that I can.
So you're not going to elaborate.

Btw, your friends might go to Ivy League schools, but that does not make them inherently smarter than anyone else. This kind of elitism in academia is rampant, and highly counterproductive when taking into consideration the mission statements of academic institutions, no matter the caliber.

•Some of my most intelligent friends *chose* to go to state schools.
•Some of my most retarded friends *chose* to go to Ivy League schools, and are regretting their decision to this day.
•Some of my friends had no place in college at all, but went to Ivy League schools because their parents were filthy rich.

Also, being nitpicky about grammar on the internet is usually practiced by those without a valid point, which you more than exemplified with your post.
He should have used a colon, but he used a single dash to represent an em dash, which would have been entirely correct, stylistically and grammatically. Even with the lazy misuse of the single dash, you knew what he meant; there was no communication error.

By the end of your comment, you look like an elitist asshole, and a retard.
Sorry for being redundant, the two are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Last edited by lofty rhino; 12-1-2017 at 04:31 PM..
Old 12-1-2017, 05:01 PM   #49
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
This is just plain wrong. I'm not going to entertain this, because there's no way that I can.
so you quote a clearly discernible thread of logic from an asserted set of conditions and assumptions to its conclusion and forthwith use as the foundation for a generalized point and your response is roughly":"

"wrong, cause i said so, i don't need to explain it"

oh this is too rich, maybe you should enlist some ivy league help for your internet posting
Old 12-1-2017, 05:30 PM   #50
the sun fan
FFR Player

chill
we've almost made it to page four, that's a lot further than I thought we would get

Also, if we woke up tomorrow and there was no religion, unless you're talking specifically about you and your father which I couldn't tell, then uhhhh, yeah, the world would be extremely different

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
Old 12-1-2017, 05:37 PM   #51
ormix
Banned

yeah how did this simple question of a thread topic turn into such a flame battle, and fast too..

some were along the line some one felt the need to jab first xD

edit: a spirit is an expression and it would make no sense for one spirit to belittle the other for being one itself :v

Last edited by ormix; 12-1-2017 at 05:39 PM..
Old 12-1-2017, 05:39 PM   #52
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Religion talk tends to get like that. Lots of conflicting ideas and all that, dohoho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 12-1-2017, 05:41 PM   #53
ormix
Banned

yeee das true, and too many potential implications to ever really articulate a genuine thought on such a touchy subject.

I guess some "ideas" are not compatible with each other and never were...
Old 12-1-2017, 06:10 PM   #54
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Why would God choose to reveal himself, delegate prophets, bestow divine wisdom etc. to an illiterate part of the Middle East a mere 2000 years ago when it's been shown through evidence humans have been around for over 100,000 years? He sat idly by watching humanity suffer through terrible predation and average life expectancies of 20-25 years for literally THOUSANDS of years and then one day said, "hey guys I'm here sry computer took forever to boot up everything's fine tho lol"
All I wish to point out is that according to the Bible God has revealed himself way way WAY before Jesus Christ (As early back as Adam) and that people where reported to have lived for hundreds of years -- up to 900 IIRC.

Past that, there's not much I can argue if you don't believe and I can actually understand that, but remember that the teachings are that it's all faith base so if you see people (especially those indoctrinated) ignore lack of evidence that's why: You're suppose to just have faith and believe.

I think what Hakulyte was trying to express is that he is past the point of trying to convince others that God exists when it's clear that they've already heard that side of the argument and don't buy into it, and honestly I'm with him on that. I do keep talking myself into trying to explain/correct things in here but in all honestly we accomplish zilch-all going back and forth when both sides have already made up their minds prior. I think that simply gets people heated in the long run and honestly all Funnygurl was carious about was more the ratio of religious folk in here and not so much a spiraling debate.

Doesn't help that Christianity has a million sects and a million variations on it so that no one is really truly on the same page anyway.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Old 12-1-2017, 07:29 PM   #55
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Just a reminder that we're in Chit Chat and not CT.
Quote:
I'm not going to tell you guys that God exist etc.
Quote:
sorry then you aren't christian
Does God exist ? Yes ? Prove it ? You can't.
Does God exist ? No ? Prove it ? You can't.

This would lead to circular thinking and the thread will probably self-destruct within a few pages. So, I prefered to not commit to that question.
Quote:
christians are commanded to proselytize

you don't get to selectively choose what tenants of your religion you want to follow, i mean you can i guess because this is what spawned the bazillion offshoots of christianity and other religions and varying orthodoxies
Is religion flexible or not ?
If it's not flexible, do you think some groups within it should go extinct while others that are harmless should continue to exist ?
..or do you think religion should disappear in general ?
Quote:
religion is a tool that exists for 2 purposes

1) to placate literal plebs (ruling class pov)
2) to rationalize illogical behavior (pleb pov)
Quote:
the idea that religion must evolve in modernity is ridiculous, it serves no functional purpose in a modern society, it needs to go extinct
I doubt religion has completely no functional purpose, but it's certainly in decline.
There's going to be a spiritual void sooner or later if you get rid of religion.
People will start lacking purpose and deviate into mostly their own desires about what should happen.
This is could be meaningful and/or harmful depending on how each person view life etc.
Religion is also a tool that helps manage how to interpret life.
It's like philosophy for dummies if you don't want to reinvent everything. It's literally a recipe/methodology ready to use.
Quote:
but this belies how fucking retarded organized religion actually is

religion is a set of beliefs and ideals to which all members ascribe to, the only thing that sets it apart from any set of non religious beliefs and ideals is that all members are supposed to believe the exact same shit
So, based on this, I'm assuming religion cannot be flexible from your pov. You're basically saying that if someone is religious, they're accepting to live in a box with preconceived ideas. This is only partially true from my pov. I cannot change what the Bible says, but keep in mind that the Bible and everything it says wasn't made for this generation. There's a gap that creates itself as society evolves and humanity is evolving fast right now. So, it is important that religion also evolve as well to stay relevant until things are proven one way or the other.
Quote:
if you can convey an idea or a concept via religion you can do it without religion

if you can live your life by a moral code and set of rules commanded to you by your religion then, wow, surprise

you can do it without religion

do you see where im going with this

you aren't christian you are just using christianity as a pretext for living your own life with your own rules and beliefs anyway, so no, you aren't fucking 'religious' and this is what makes the collective world religions a shining example of how unbelievably stupid humanity can be
Just because you can do it without it, doesn't mean you have to.

Looks like you've been right all along tho and that I'm living in a fantasy world which is mixing both christianity and philosophy.
So yeah, after double checking, it looks like I'm not religious and that you won't see me at your local church every week.

If anything, I'm probably more agnostic with a tendency for wanting to believe the glass of water is half full.
I still had the regular Christian education as a kid with the sacraments/communion/etc.
It's just that I see religious people in my every day life and I kind of enjoy being able to interact with them openly while trying to compromise and confront ideas.

I don't see angels at night and I've never had some divine intervention or anything happen to me. It's just a spiritual experience overall.
Still better than a slap in the face.

#religion in 2017
Old 12-1-2017, 07:33 PM   #56
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty rhino View Post
So you're not going to elaborate.

Btw, your friends might go to Ivy League schools, but that does not make them inherently smarter than anyone else. This kind of elitism in academia is rampant, and highly counterproductive when taking into consideration the mission statements of academic institutions, no matter the caliber.

•Some of my most intelligent friends *chose* to go to state schools.
•Some of my most retarded friends *chose* to go to Ivy League schools, and are regretting their decision to this day.
•Some of my friends had no place in college at all, but went to Ivy League schools because their parents were filthy rich.

Also, being nitpicky about grammar on the internet is usually practiced by those without a valid point, which you more than exemplified with your post.
He should have used a colon, but he used a single dash to represent an em dash, which would have been entirely correct, stylistically and grammatically. Even with the lazy misuse of the single dash, you knew what he meant; there was no communication error.

By the end of your comment, you look like an elitist asshole, and a retard.
Sorry for being redundant, the two are pretty much mutually exclusive.
I made the comment about grammar because it was as unnecessary and petty as Mina's previous posts on this thread. Anyone who actually knows me would know that on forums, I don't pay attention to grammar whatsoever.

Oh, and you shouldn't use only one em- dash in a sentence, my dude. Wasn't talking about a single dash. A colon woulda worked, though.

Also, I can't entertain Mina's past post because it's full of normative statements that are like... wrong.

I think you're friends with MinaciousGrace because I don't know you, but I'm probably right. You want to defend your friend, which is understandable. You guys are probably way older than me, though, so get a grip. Just because you're arrogant doesn't mean you're smart.

EDIT: Also LOL dude I didn't realize you spent so much of your post saying, "ivy league ppl are dumb tho!!!" Nah dude. My friends are actually way smarter than you. They didn't get into Princeton because of their parent's money, because most of my friends are on hella financial aid.

Retards also can't get straight A's at the Ivy League school known for grade deflation too, sucka. I have a brain. Ooooweee
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 12-1-2017 at 07:36 PM..
Old 12-1-2017, 07:51 PM   #57
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
If anything, I'm probably more agnostic with a tendency for wanting to believe the glass of water is half full.
I still had the regular Christian education as a kid with the sacraments/communion/etc.
it's amazing how you both are completely oblivious to the fact that you're just repeatedly proving my point
Old 12-1-2017, 07:55 PM   #58
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Only good things can come out of this thread now.

I leave this thread... a gif of a couple o' birds click clacking away like dumbos.

Quote:
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it

All of the other Snivies
Join in any Snivy games

Quote:
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 12-1-2017, 07:55 PM   #59
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Also, play nice, don't be a dick. Come on now...

Quote:
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it

All of the other Snivies
Join in any Snivy games

Quote:
Old 12-1-2017, 07:58 PM   #60
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
I don't know you, so don't insult me or the people I know.
Quote:
I think you're friends with MinaciousGrace because I don't know you

My friends are actually way smarter than you.
oh right sorry i'm wrong because i make assumptions about your friends but it's ok for you to make assumptions about my friends because you hold the moral high ground here... because religion!
Closed Thread