Old 06-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Default ITT talk about your role model(s)

hi, i'll start

mine's my older sister who's like, 17 years older than me. i always turned to her for advice growing up, and her advice was always right, so yeah. she's raising two kids now, so she's got a lot on her plate. i miss talking to her though v-v

what about you guys?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra
Default Re: ITT talk about your role model(s)

Gonna sound cheesy given it's fathers day and whatnot, but my answer to this is always my dad, and my grandfathers.

If I can be half the man any of them are/were, I'd consider myself a success in life, and all of them for different reasons. To me, my dad is the epitome of kind and empathetic, my dad's dad was a former RCMP and through him I learned the significance of respect, and my mom's dad was an engineer and the iconic family backbone while also being dedicated and meticulous with everything he did.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Daniel Cudmore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
Gonna sound cheesy given it's fathers day and whatnot, but my answer to this is always my dad, and my grandfathers.
yah, having a father figure as part of an atomic family - that makes a huge difference to the child's success later on in life. Sticking around and be a good dad does create long-term genetic advantages!
Daniel Cudmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default Role Model

I'm at a point in my life where I'm my own role model,
but I know what you mean so I'll list a few.

Richard Branson - Billionaire businessman, astronaut/cowboy
Donald Trump - Billionaire businessman, President of the United States of America
Thomas Edison - Brilliant inventor and electrician of the earliy 1900s
Tom Cruise - great actor, good dude
Bill Gates - if you read the fine print you'll realize that he kind of owns Earth
Walt Disney - classic cartoonist
Siddartha Guatama - found enlightenment under the banyam tree
Hakulyte - great FFR player
+ more
(I realize that these are mostly old white dudes. I too am an old white dude, that's just the way it is I suppose.)

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 06-19-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
xVaLoRx
MYFUCKINGSOUND
FFR Veteran

squarepusher and his quantum beat drum n bass
Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Gonna go on a rant here.
Prepare for loads of side-tangents.

Lifestyle: Mahatma Gandhi
As people may recall from the gun reform thread, I am vehemently against violence. Even in self-defense, I believe violence is not the solution, as you're lowering yourself to their level.
If someone wants to kill me, I'll try to talk him/her out of it, obviously. But if that person is not convinced by my ideology or is simply unreasonable, then I feel I'll die the better person by not resorting to violence. I'd accept the knife/bullet with open arms and make my pacifist statement that way.
Ghandi's satyagraha-philosophy of nonviolence and adherence to the truth I feel should be implemented globally. Though this is unlikely, naive and some would argue unrealistic given human nature, it is something to strive for.
Utopia will never be feasible on this planet, but we can at least work towards it and perhaps get close to it. We may disagree with what utopia would be. Personally nonviolence and factuality are a must.
Besides Ghandi's ideologies, I admire his activism which I lack confidence for.
On a minor note, but still related to Ghandi, I am mostly a vegetarian, but not zealous.
Also his dissatisfaction towards alcohol usage I agree with. This does not mean I am pro banning alcohol or any other drug for that matter, as it would give the black market a monopoly. I would want to see it all regulated to prevent as many harmful side-effects as possible, while not restricting people's freedom to do what they want with their own body.
I would rather it didn't exist at all, or didn't have the effect (maybe people will eventually become resistant to the effects). But even then, people will find a new drug.

Musically: Claude Debussy
Music is an integral part of my life, and often kept me from losing confidence in this disgusting world.
Debussy had done what I was doing before I knew of his music: creating a mood with music that expresses a sort of beautiful melancholy.
1850 and before musical harmonies, chord usage and structure seemed very strict. Composers tried their something new from time to time, maybe once or twice per piece, but never strayed far from the accepted norm.
This probably had more to do with the academies that only published / marketed music that adhered to these rules.
Sadly from 1950 and onwards, contemporary classical composers kind of lost the idea of music being for listening to. I appreciate the effort, admire the technical understanding and will likely never be able to create anything of the sort. But from a listener's standpoint, it sounds like an intellectual showpiece rather than something to listen to.
But around the 1900s, during the impressionist era, people like Erik Satie, Maurice Ravel and Claude Debussy were conveying a feeling, an atmosphere or a vibe through their music.
Satie's Gymnopedies are an obvious choice, but don't aren't close to my heart.
Ravel's Tzigane is one of my favourite classical pieces. Introduction and Allegro and Jeux d'Eau are not to be forgotten.
But Debussy takes the cake. Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp, Des Pas sur la Neige, his Cello Sonata, Syrinx. They all paint a mental picture when I listen to them and synchronize perfectly with my state of mind.
This ability to use dissonance and unconventional progressions to paint a sad yet beautiful picture is something I aspire to be able to do with my own music.

I am gonna go full weeb now.
As an ideal picture for my adult life: Alice Margatroid
A solitary life, away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Where I can devote all my time and attention to my hobby, that being music for me.
Here I could leave my doors unlocked, as none of my possessions are of significant worth; unless they feel inclined to steal a piano.
Though an introverted person, I would happily open my house for people passing by. Provide shelter and something to drink, but not much of a warm / comforting host.
Make a living by performing. Appreciation for my art is worth more to me than money.
Obviously I'd like to be able to "abandon food" like Alice, but that's very unlikely to happen.
I'd also rather not become a youkai, or a magician for that matter.
Would not be able to live a life of solitude if I were a magician.
This last part is more a fantasy, but her "role" in fiction is a "model" for my reality.

Honorable mentions:
My dad:
A cynical rationalist whose noncommittal lifestyle and nonchalant approach has helped me through puberty and helped me to confront life issues in general.
He is quite joyless though, a road which I hope I can stray from.

Jesus:
I am not a religious person, and if only he weren't connected to a religion, I'd not feel so hesitant to have him as a role model.
Whether he existed or not, his ideology of pacifism and tolerance even to your enemies and in times of despair is something I agree with and even to this day I have unintentionally followed most of the rules described in the new testament.
I'm not expecting me to be the next jesus, but it's a good role model.

Other stuff:
I am an advocate of a technocratic government, well aware of the loss of vote from the people and the possible nepotism. But if done well, policy and laws would be factual and prevent outside interests.
Could go on another rant about this.

I'd also like to have 3 kids.

Well then.
That was fun.
Let the mockery begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE

Last edited by SKG_Scintill; 06-26-2017 at 02:05 PM..
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
IamMe90
FFR Player

Default Re: Role Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
Tom Cruise - great actor, good dude
ha ha ha
IamMe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Donald Trump taught me everything I need to know about being American.
Too bad the class was in Russian

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #9
xVaLoRx
MYFUCKINGSOUND
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
Donald Trump taught me everything I need to know about being American.
Too bad the class was in Russian
fake news
Old 06-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
DancingCow
FFR Player

I aspire to be Ron Swanson.

DancingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #11
Tia-
FFR Player

David Hume
Cesare Beccaria
Denis Diderot
Siddhartha Gautama
Immanuel Kant
Voltaire

:sun:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
how are you expecting me to find a new house on such short notice?
with the current state of the real estate market you cannot expect the general populace just to budge while you plan to bulldoze for your stepping highway
please consider the needs of the people you represent, rather than the motives of the upper class
this archipelagic wasteland doesn't belong to the tertiary sector, it is a reflection of the nurturing broodingpants of our mothers and sisters
what will become of the next generation lest we stand strong?
WE WILL NOT GET OUTTA THE WAY
Tia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #12
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

attang
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote