Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Songs of the Week
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2016, 03:00 AM   #81
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Official Tournament Round 1 Files

Question: When will the songs be given difficulty ratings? After the round is over?

D3 feels like ~55 to me

RenegadeLucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #82
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeLucien View Post
Question: When will the songs be given difficulty ratings? After the round is over?

D3 feels like ~55 to me
My guess is that the difficulty ratings won't be finalized until the tournament is over.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:12 AM   #83
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeLucien View Post

D3 feels like ~55 to me
i would agree with this, 54-55 (just got around to playing it). it is easier than d4, definitely. the patterns in the d4 song are just WEIRD. plus the trills are definitely worse in the d4 song, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
it's like putting training wheels on gutterguards covered in styrofoam made of bubblewrap with a velcro fanny pack inside a condom
Cold Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:22 AM   #84
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Xenorosth, if I may ask, what did you join this tournament for? For winning? For having fun? I think if you reconsider your overall goal, you'll take the whole matter less seriously and may simultaneously perform better too. If you still lose early, well at least it was still a good experience. I am fairly certain you didn't join this tournament with the intentions of having yourself feel crappy.

tl;dr choose your mindset wisely

Mainly because I like token collecting. If you notice, that's where all of my highest scores are. It's why I came to the sight. AAAing and FCing only gives pixels, so the achievement doesn't feel nearly as satisfying. 1 AAA? Cool, 1500 more to go and you've got 'em all! If I already had the tournament based tokens I wouldn't have entered. I don't have the time to get 1 billion score in a day, so there's no other way to get VBeta ROFL, and Fractured Sunshine is tournament exclusive, so that makes me feel like I've got no choice.

And there's a problem with Henry Ford's quote. It works one way, and almost always. But that doesn't mean that the other direction is true. I don't give a damn how hard I believe, I'm not AAAing Death Piano in a week's time. (Extreme case, I know). However, I can certainly believe I'm not, and be right 99% of the time.

And regardless, if your statement is true, then I should be let into d4, because I feel I could do better in the d4 file than the d3 file, and hey my top scores show that I have better score on the d4 file. I've accepted that I'm not getting either token at this point, so it doesn't matter. If it was for my fun purely, I'd say put me in d5. That's my favorite file out of the set, even if I'm bad at it.

In short, even if I had a shot at top 16, I'd be happy. I'd be fine and dandy. I played another d3 player in multiplayer, and he got 80 goods up on me in certain songs. Hell, he beat me on even my best song score that I've had recently, and that's in my top 20.

In short, I feel like sort of stiff handed by placements. In long, my top twenty has a range 20 difficulty, and the top of the peak is reasonably high, so I perfectly understand it. It's why I asked to be removed from the tournament in the main thread. It didn't happen, so naturally I tried anyway. If the d4 file didn't feel easier than the d3 file, I wouldn't even say anything about it because I acknowledge that at both tiers, I am not getting close to top 16. Honestly, I wish I could wipe some of those top scores that are 5 years+, but I know a few of them are genuinely mine. (Lawn wake IV was a favorite). There are obvious differences in my scores compared to people who "fit" in d3. But of course I could be smurfing, so how would you know? I get the system, but to be honest, when it hurts, it really, really fuckin' hurts.
Xenorosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:27 AM   #85
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

for reference xeno, i played the d3 file. i near SDG'd it. if we're going by scores people have gotten (and by your logic, that's what we're doing) then the d3 song is easier.

you need to find some other way to enjoy this tournament, or since you wanted to be removed anyway, not play at all. NO ONE is forcing you to play.

Quote:
it's like putting training wheels on gutterguards covered in styrofoam made of bubblewrap with a velcro fanny pack inside a condom
Old 06-25-2016, 03:30 AM   #86
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Kitten View Post
for reference xeno, i played the d3 file. i near SDG'd it. if we're going by scores people have gotten (and by your logic, that's what we're doing) then the d3 song is easier.

you need to find some other way to enjoy this tournament, or since you wanted to be removed anyway, not play at all. NO ONE is forcing you to play.
I stopped playing the file after I got a better score on the d4. Unless I get bumped to a different tier, I'm not intent on playing it.

Last edited by Xenorosth; 06-25-2016 at 03:30 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 03:31 AM   #87
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

Out of curiosity, how many times have you actually tried your D3 file?

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
party 4u "holy nite mix" v2 - 5-0-1-2
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3
Flame Repellent - 5-0-0-0
Kanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:32 AM   #88
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell2150 View Post
I drop between 15-20 goods on the [14][23] jump trill into the 4321/1234 roll (whether or not on mirror) and from here on out I'm starting a petition to not allow jump trills to be followed directly by rolls for the rest of eternity. WHO'S WITH ME!?
I 2nd this, but seriously I have mistaken that jump trill as a inverted roll this whole time and my current best is still my sight read... what kind of sucks is I've replayed it enough due to the wall screwing me now that I'm starting to get bad habits on the mini jump jacks ;_; but def a good margin for improvement

nice score beary u killed it
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:33 AM   #89
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenorosth View Post
I stopped playing the file after I got a better score on the d4. Unless I get bumped to a different tier, I'm not intent on playing it.
you're such a party pooper

(pls note this is a joke and not meant to be taken seriously. i am just deliriously tired)

Quote:

Last edited by Cold Kitten; 06-25-2016 at 03:33 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 03:34 AM   #90
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

According to levelrank.php? Over 40 times.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #91
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Ah, so you play to collect tokens? Well I figure that if you feel that you gave it your all so far, you could do so on a less sour note. I understand that improvement doesn't come right away and doesn't come on a consistent rate either. Personally I would not focus on something as superficial as tokens as a means to happiness in this game, but that's just me.

Well in past tournaments, I recall people being allowed to move up a division voluntarily (except for D6 --> D7). That may be possible again this tournament, but I don't call the shots. Ask around, but I'm not sure if this would benefit you in regards to your current skill level.

All in all, I wouldn't compare yourself to other players. FFR and Stepmania are largely games of self-improvement. My best advice for you is to just have fun trying, and I'll leave it to you to either accept or reject that suggestion.

Last edited by bmah; 06-25-2016 at 03:37 AM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #92
V-Ormix
Banned

ahhH

Last edited by V-Ormix; 06-25-2016 at 03:36 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #93
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

Quote:
According to levelrank.php? Over 40 times.
Mind blocking? Try again tomorrow. I mean, shit... The rounds do last a week. There is plenty of time for improvement.

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3
Old 06-25-2016, 03:42 AM   #94
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Ah, so you play to collect tokens? Well I figure that if you feel that you gave it your all so far, you could do so on a less sour note. I understand that improvement doesn't come right away and doesn't come on a consistent rate either. Personally I would not focus on something as superficial as tokens as a means to happiness in this game, but that's just me.

Well in past tournaments, I recall people being allowed to move up a division voluntarily (except for D7). That may be possible again this tournament, but I don't call the shots.

All in all, I wouldn't compare yourself to other players. FFR and Stepmania are largely games of self-improvement. My best advice for you is to just have fun trying, and I'll leave it to you to either accept or reject that suggestion.
I would agree, but considering this only happens once a year, it's kinda hard not to be a bit salty being shot down because of scores you did 5 years ago. It reminds of how good I was then, and how shit I was now. It's not just a "You can get this skill back" because I know for a fact that I have tokens I can't even think about touching again now. It's been five years. Five years. I played a lot three years ago, and the skill didn't come back then. So how am I going to be held to that standard? That, in a nutshell, is why I'm annoyed. In short, I feel like even if I wait a year, I'll just get shot down again. Either because I won't improve, or if I do, I'll be put in D4. It's what happened When I first got placed in d2 well before even the 8th tourny.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:44 AM   #95
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I would agree, but considering this only happens once a year, it's kinda hard not to be a bit salty being shot down because of scores you did 5 years ago. It reminds of how good I was then, and how shit I was now. It's not just a "You can get this skill back" because I know for a fact that I have tokens I can't even think about touching again now. It's been five years. Five years. I played a lot three years ago, and the skill didn't come back then. So how am I going to be held to that standard? That, in a nutshell, is why I'm annoyed. In short, I feel like even if I wait a year, I'll just get shot down again. Either because I won't improve, or if I do, I'll be put in D4. It's what happened When I first got placed in d2 well before even the 8th tourny.
i said this earlier, we all get put in divisions we don't want to be in. i don't want to be in d4. i have literally no shot at winning it. you're in this tournament for the wrong reasons. having goals is good, having such specific goals can be detrimental.

you just have a bad attitude towards all of this, and i get where you're coming from because i have a slight sense of that feeling as well, but rather than getting hung up on it, i'm glad i'm even considered good enough to be IN d4.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2016, 03:46 AM   #96
V-Ormix
Banned

Quote:
i said this earlier, we all get put in divisions we don't want to be in. i don't want to be in d4. i have literally no shot at winning it. you're in this tournament for the wrong reasons. having goals is good, having such specific goals can be detrimental.

you just have a bad attitude towards all of this, and i get where you're coming from because i have a slight sense of that feeling as well, but rather than getting hung up on it, i'm glad i'm even considered good enough to be IN d4.
the winning attitude !_!
Old 06-25-2016, 03:48 AM   #97
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

There is a really easy solution here... Sand bag the fuck out of everything until next year, and win that shit.

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3
Old 06-25-2016, 03:49 AM   #98
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzas View Post
There is a really easy solution here... Sand bag the fuck out of everything until next year, and win that shit.
it is time

Quote:
Old 06-25-2016, 03:52 AM   #99
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:

If I were remotely close to the other people in d3, I'd not feel so bad. But almost everyone has passed me with significantly less effort than I put. I'm not even close. The person above me is literally 20 goods away, and the person behind me is one perfect or so from passing me. There's the idea of being "good enough" for d3, but then there's also the fact that I know deep down I'm not d3, what the hell am I doing here? It's like being an art major with a GPA of 2.0 getting thrown into a Physics 2 class for honors students. Shit's not going to go well. Am I honored to be there? No. I'm going to say I want to be put in an area where I can actually function.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:52 AM   #100
Kawaii025
Fake D4
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzas View Post
It makes you wonder how many players are actually doing that...
Highest Blackflag: Survive (60)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (68)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (63)
Otaku Speedvibe [Heavy] unlocked 03/04/15 - On The Origin of Species (Evolution) (50)

Highest AAA:Case Closed (58)
Highest Blackflag: Survive (58)
Highest Booflag: Fill Me Up With Snacky Happiness & Suit Up (55)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (72)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (67)
Kawaii025 is offline   Reply With Quote